5870 - $299

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
According to a fresh report by Donanim Haber, AMD's next performance graphics accelerator, the Radeon HD 5870, codenamed "Cypress" is expected to be aggressively priced, at US $299. At that price, it intends to be highly competitive against GeForce GTX 285 from NVIDIA. The secret-sauce behind the price could be the 40 nm fab process on which the GPU is being built, which allows upping transistor counts while maintaining significantly smaller die-sizes compared to 55 nm.

There is a great deal of uncertainty surrounding the specifications of the GPU, including what level of performance with existing application could it end up offering. Some sources, such as ChipHell, which are one of the first to leak pictures of components related to various Evergreen family products claim the Cypress GPU to have an almost 100% increase in stream processor counts compared to RV770, while others remain conservative expecting it to be around 50%. With this kind of a pricing, Cypress could trigger market-wide changes in GPU pricing, if it ends up with a good price/performance ratio at $299.

Cypress is expected to be launched on 22 September, close to two weeks after the company unveils the Evergreen family of DirectX 11 compliant GPUs on September 10. Market availability is expected in October. In related news from the same report, the enthusiast-grade accelerator that uses two of these GPUs, codenamed "Hemlock", is expected to be out in November.

http://www.techpowerup.com/102342/Radeon_HD_5870_Aggressively_Priced_Report.html

It's about damn time.

I was hoping for $249.99 but I'm sure the price will come down in a few weeks.

From my experience with the 40nm in the HD4770 I have huge expectations for this card.

I expect a single HD5870 3dmark06 score of 30,000+ pts once a few "tweakers" figure it out.

I was hoping for $249.99 but I'm sure the price will come down in a few weeks.

From my experience with the 40nm in the HD4770 I have huge expectations for this card.

I expect a single HD5870 3dmark06 score of 30,000+ pts once a few "tweakers" figure it out.
I told you the 5870 would be the same price or more than the 4870 was on release. it makes no sense to release the card with a msrp of just $249 when they have all these 4890 cards out there still. also $299 is a fair price because it comes with 1gb where as the 4870 was a 512mb card at launch.

you seem to think that just because something is on a smaller process it can be much cheaper. thats true if you are just shrinking a current product but this is a new chip with new features that took time and money to research and develop. $299 launch msrp for this level of card is still a very good deal for everyone.

Excellent news for the GeForce 300..........hopefully it will come in at the same low prices!!!:D

US $299. At that price, it intends to be highly competitive against GeForce GTX 285 from NVIDIA.
by 'highly competitive against' I hope it means mopping the floor w/ GTX 285.
GTX 285s are nearing $300 already and the 4890s which are about 85-90% of a GTX 285 are below $200.
If the 5870 is about the same level as GTX 285, then not good enough AMD.

by 'highly competitive against' I hope it means mopping the floor w/ GTX 285.
GTX 285s are nearing $300 already and the 4890s which are about 85-90% of a GTX 285 are below $200.
If the 5870 is about the same level as GTX 285, then not good enough AMD.
+1

The 5870 needs to be a significantly better card than the 285 for it to be a winner for AMD.

The 5870 needs to be a significantly better card than the 285 for it to be a winner for AMD.

There is good reason to predict the 5870 will be significantly faster than the GTX285.

Excellent news for the GeForce 300..........hopefully it will come in at the same low prices!!!:D

Highly doubt that will be the case, given Nvidia's way to distribute chips. Build a big chip for the performance market, then break it down for the other market segments.

Holy toledo. I might have to buy one of these. $299 is an amazing launch price for a card that will likely be the fastest single GPU on the market.
I wonder how much of a performance boost we're looking at over the 4890.

Last edited:
Holy toledo. I might have to buy one of these. $299 is an amazing launch price for a card that will likely be the fastest single GPU on the market.
there is no likely about it. even if its only 50% faster than the 4890 that will still be noticeably quicker than the gtx285.

I am looking to upgrade from GTX-280. If the single card 5870 is close to 50% faster in gaming than my single 280, then I am all over it.

Really interesting thing I want to know more about is the rumor these new cards can run triple screens on a single card. I have been dying to go triple screen for gaming, you can pick up some sweet 22" LCD's for like $149 ea. So will this new 5870 not need a Matrox TH2G device to game on 3 monitors ?

If its not at least 20% faster than a GTX 295 im skipping

I know you do have a GTX 295 right now, but you probably would be better off with it even if it was 10%-20% less powerful. Your FPS will be far more stable on top of not having to wait for SLI support in a new game that comes out.

I know you do have a GTX 295 right now, but you probably would be better off with it even if it was 10%-20% less powerful. Your FPS will be far more stable on top of not having to wait for SLI support in a new game that comes out.

Yeah, i really want to get a single core... this card has brought me nothing but trouble with old games

If not, i hope the 380 will be

I wouldn't bet that a $299 single GPU card like the 5870 will be 20% faster than a $500 dual-GPU GTX 295.

if the rumour's of 1600 sp's are true it suould be faster than a 4870x2, it would have the same specs of a x2 but without cf
that would put it in the gtx295 ballpark

Last edited:
5870 will have 1200 cores. Still has some juicy specs. I'd expect at least a 50% performance gain. Maybe more if it overclocks well.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/4/24/ati-radeon-5870-and-5870x2-specs-revealed.aspx

Besides its the job of the 5870x2 to blow the gtx 295 out of the water. And it will.

your link is clearly outdated and some of those rumors are not accurate or have changed. if all the 5870 has is 50% more sp then that will not likely even be a 50% gain over the 4890.

also the job of the 5870x2 is to beat nvidias next top of the line card not the gtx295.

Last edited:
ATI is already competing the G200 series, the 4870x2 is the GTX 295 rival

1200sp sound's too few, unless they unlock the sp clock and put it at 1.6 ghz

if all the 5870 has is 50% more sp then that will not likely even be a 50% gain over the 4890.

if if if if.. All speculation and hypothesis. The 5870 will probably have a clock boost on top of the SP boost. We will know for certain, soon enough. Info will start leaking out over the next month.

I get the feeling this card is going to be an absolute beast of an overclocker. Those core/mem clocks seem kinda lean in comparison to what can be achieved on 55nm with a 4890. If you take that + an improved process it should make for some nice overclocks and a hell of a card for the price. ;D

if if if if.. All speculation and hypothesis. The 5870 will probably have a clock boost on top of the SP boost. We will know for certain, soon enough. Info will start leaking out over the next month.
everything is if at this point. I was just saying that 50% more shaders doesnt translate into 50% more performance. sure it will have faster clocks but is not likely to more than 100mhz over he 4890.

everything is if at this point. I was just saying that 50% more shaders doesnt translate into 50% more performance. sure it will have faster clocks but is not likely to more than 100mhz over he 4890.

Well it will have optimizations too, so apparently the SP and clock boost aren't the only things happening with the card. It will also have DX11 support. I'm not saying definitive conclusions but that the signals are good that the 5870 will probably be significantly faster than the GTX 285 but not as fast as the theoretical limit of the 4870x2. The 5870 will certainly be faster than the 4870x2 in games that don't support SLI (well).

The 5870 is a totally different generation than the GT200/HD4000 series. I'm anticipating the 5870 to be roughly as fast as a 4870x2, and the 5870x2 to scale well enough to make dual gpu worthwhile.

The 5870 is a totally different architecture. It could be slower in clock speed and have less SP's than the 4870, and still obliterate it. Vice-versa holds true.

Everyone is expecting the third coming of christ in video-card fashion, but I'm honestly expecting a lot less than everyone else is from both brands.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

The 5870 is a totally different generation than the GT200/HD4000 series. I'm anticipating the 5870 to be roughly as fast as a 4870x2, and the 5870x2 to scale well enough to make dual gpu worthwhile.

The 5870 is a totally different architecture. It could be slower in clock speed and have less SP's than the 4870, and still obliterate it. Vice-versa holds true.

Everyone is expecting the third coming of christ in video-card fashion, but I'm honestly expecting a lot less than everyone else is from both brands.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
well some rumors have said the new cards are based on the exact same tech as the 4000 series so go figure. no one knows.

The 5870 is a totally different architecture.

Where do you get that information? Seems like pure speculation and not based on what ATI has done in the past. Every indication I see says that the 5870 will be a nice evolution of the 4870 with more SP's, higher clock, optimizations, DX11, etc..

Where do you get that information? Seems like pure speculation and not based on what ATI has done in the past. Every indication I see says that the 5870 will be a nice evolution of the 4870 with more SP's, higher clock, optimizations, DX11, etc..

There was an article floating around saying that the RV870, "evergreen" or whatever you'd like to call it was the first major architectural change since R600.

Very nice info. I expect/hope that the HD 5870 at least surpasses the GTX 285, not even counting the possible overclocking headroom with it. If it would be on par with a 285 it wouldn't make much sense and be a bit underwhelming. Besides, the HD 4890 is relatively close already to a GTX 285.

I'm kinda hoping a HD 5850 comes close or is equal to a HD 4890 in performance. With that card standard having 1 GB, I expect it'll have some great performance to fully use that amount of memory. (AA)

I have a good feeling about these cards, but we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully Nvidia will reveal some great stuff too just before September 10th, just to take away some of AMD's spotlight.

Back