5870 - $299

That's the million dollar question to be answered this Thursday, and what performance do we get for that price, compared to nVidia's GTX-285 and 295 ?

I'll say this right now. I don't expect nvidia's last gen to be competitive with ATI's next gen on price. I think the million dollar question will be in 2 or 3 months when Nvida's parts hit the shelves to see where the price/preformance lies then. It'll be a speed bump for Nvidia if they are priced wrong for 2 months, it will be a disaster for ATI if they are uncompetitive after Nvidia releases it's cards.

If the 380 is x2 a 280 and the 5870 is the rumored 1.6X the 4890, that would make a 395 25% faster than a 5870x2. Which means it would be price/preformance equal at 750$. If Nvidia releases the 395 at 600$, that would mean the 5870x2 would need to drop to 480$ to be competitive.

Of course, who knows where (or if) Nvidia will come in, or where the 5870 will come in on preformance. Hopefully we'll get one peice of the puzzle soon enough.

So the paper launch of the 5870 is 09/10 and the hard launch is 09/22? Those are the dates I have seen tossed around.

This video card is the last part I need to order for my new P55 system. \m/\m/

So the paper launch of the 5870 is 09/10 and the hard launch is 09/22? Those are the dates I have seen tossed around.

This video card is the last part I need to order for my new P55 system. \m/\m/

I've heard the 24th and 10th. Either way, you should have about 2 weeks of salivating after the press event to figure out what you want to do. Personally I'll be holding out for the "new X2".

I've heard the 24th and 10th. Either way, you should have about 2 weeks of salivating after the press event to figure out what you want to do. Personally I'll be holding out for the "new X2".

"PR event" is the expression.

And it's really 22nd for the NDA lift and 10th for the paper launch.

"PR event" is the expression.

And it's really 22nd for the NDA lift and 10th for the paper launch.

So tomorrow we get just "Official" specs/pics/pricing, and actual reviews/performance data isn't released for another two weeks??? :mad:

It will be leaked somewhere... usually some chinese sites :) someone will break the NDA, at least... I hope :) But if 22nd is also a hard launch I really hope they will have enough quantity over my side of the pond, and not that everything will be sold in US.

It's not a paper launch. It's a product presentation.

"They're in the stores on Tuesday", and they're not there on Tuesday - that's a paper launch.

So tomorrow we get just "Official" specs/pics/pricing, and actual reviews/performance data isn't released for another two weeks??? :mad:

No. You won't get anything tomorrow. It's just a show to"market" the upcoming products (hence the PR). NDA only lifts on the 22nd (real specs and whatnot will be known then), which is when availability is supposed to happen aswell, though it's said that "real" availability will only hit the market in October.

It's not a paper launch. It's a product presentation.

You're right. It's not even a paper launch (as I said earlier), because NDA won't be lifted. It's simply a PR event...

MrLonghair said:
"They're in the stores on Tuesday", and they're not there on Tuesday - that's a paper launch.

No...that's not what a paper launch is. No one ever did that actually. A paper launch is when a product is revealed (NDA is lifted), but availability is said to happen at a later date.

You're right. It's not even a paper launch (as I said earlier), because NDA won't be lifted. It's simply a PR event...

No...that's not what a paper launch is. No one ever did that actually. A paper launch is when a product is revealed (NDA is lifted), but availability is said to happen at a later date.

To me, paper launch has always referred to when a vendor says that a product is available, but it's really not.

I guess I was wrong?

To me, paper launch has always referred to when a vendor says that a product is available, but it's really not.

I guess I was wrong?

The word you're looking for is "vaporware" (yes, it can apply to hardware as well).

I guess I was wrong?

Yes, you are. As was mentioned already, that's vaporware.

Paper Launch = NDA lifted on day X and availability on day X + Y.
Hard Launch = NDA lifted on day X and availability on day X.
Vaporware = NDA lifted on day X with supposed availability on day X, but no actual availability on day X.

Neither fits on what AMD will do tomorrow, so my use of paper launch earlier, was wrong. It's really just a PR event.

It's a strip tease, just show enough for people to be interested but keep the good stuff hidden.

Product preview - Samples are revealed to the public. A product launch date may or may not be set at this time.

Paper launch - Product has launch date set for general sales to the public, but none are actually available on that date.

Soft launch - Product has launch date set for general sales to the public, but availability is limited on that date.

Hard launch - Product has launch date set for general sales to the public and availability is good on that date.

Vaporware - Product has launch date set for general sales to the public, yet none are actually available on that date and a significant amount of time has elapsed since the announced initial release date.

so, where is everything? its 10th september in the uk now..........why no news?!

That would put it at well beyond a 4870x2 wouldn't it? Like 50% more powerful than a 4870x2? That would mean a 5870 would be 3 times as powerful as a 4870? That is a little bit hard to swallow.

Not really. If those specs are true that's already more than double the processing power of the HD4870 + new coding efficiency and Crysis has always sucked with multi GPU scaling.

Not really. If those specs are true that's already more than double the processing power of the HD4870 + new coding efficiency
Yeah but still, 2x spec increase normally gets hit with some overhead.

and Crysis has always sucked with multi GPU scaling.

No it hasn't. Here is crysis scaling in 3 way SLI at 86% per card. If that's sucky multi GPU scaling I'll take sucky multi GPU scaling.

Even shitty toms hardware agrees on this point.

Actually Crysis is the best multy gpu option if you got some monster rig, if you want decent scaling get an uber system and oc i7 ;)

Actually Crysis is the best multy gpu option if you got some monster rig, if you want decent scaling get an uber system and oc i7 ;)

the problem is that people tend to look for framerates to go from 50 FPS to 100 FPS to 150FPS, and thats not how it works with crysis, since a single card only "Averages" you no more than 37-40 FPS...

I could never run Crysis smoothly with one HD4850, but once I added my 2nd one it was smooth as butter with a few settings on high/very high...

I could never run Crysis smoothly with one HD4850, but once I added my 2nd one it was smooth as butter with a few settings on high/very high...

Ill second that. One 8800gtx ran the game alright at high settings, but on certain level I had to go from 1920 x 1200 to 1680 x 1050. Sli'd my 8800 and then I never had to go back to 1680 x 1050 :) even was able to move some settings to very high.
Did I mention this was over 6 months ago? All those fancy driver optimizations weren't there.

So yes, it does scale well.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

The 5870 is going to be $399 at launch from what I've heard. When it gets to $299 I'll bite....

Gotta wait for the 2GB versions too. The wait for the 1GB 4870 was painful :-(

uh I would think if it can handle WoW at 7680x3200res and Left4Dead at 7680x1600res smooth as butter it will be much faster to the GTX-295 than just 20% The 295 as far as I know could never do that.

Thought there were some leaked benches somewhere in this thread;
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33942935&page=33

It showed the standard 5870 almost 100% faster than the 295, well at least like 75% or so it seemed ?

Someone posted some benches with this card destroying the gtx285. I would not really call that competing. However if those were fake and the card has similar benches to the gtx285 it would be underwhelming to say the least

Someone posted some benches with this card destroying the gtx285. I would not really call that competing. However if those were fake and the card has similar benches to the gtx285 it would be underwhelming to say the least

There are some more leaked benchmarks around the web, and it is top dog over everything right now. The GTX-285 it is well over 100% faster, against the 4870X2 it is like 25% faster, and the GTX-295 it is good amount faster close to 50%.

But being that much faster than nVidia is not saying much really, because those will soon be nVidia's out dated last generation, we need to see the 5870 against the new GTX-380.

But we do know at least the 5870X2 will be crazy fast then, like 100% faster than even the mighty GTX-295, which is a pretty big deal.,

Hmm if this is true ...

GT212 will come out, maybe this year.. probably next year.
GT215/6/8 will have a very hard time competing (would've been different if they launched in Q209 as intended and not Q409) and GT300 is not set for another 9 months.
This is not the Apocalypse, it's the result of a design decision made way back when 40nm wasn't available. Tables can turn in 2010.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=49139&page=85

If true that is a huge loss for nVidia. Then ATI/AMD really do have the second coming of the 9700Pro, that card wiped the floor with anything around it for a good year +.

Good for AMD about time they get some domination, nVidia has kicked their butt so many times over the years, it was due for ATI to have a solid win. And I am sure next year nVidia will come out fighting with a good product, now knowing what they are up against. But ATI will also have their refresh, the 5900 series out next Spring too.

I think it might be time for me to finally pass on my 680iSLI to my son, and get myself a nice little CrossFireX capable mobo... maybe a X58 or P55. [/dream]

Uhmm a 5870X2 would go nicely with my 680iSLI too I am sure.

I think it might be time for me to finally pass on my 680iSLI to my son, and get myself a nice little CrossFireX capable mobo... maybe a X58 or P55. [/dream]

Uhmm a 5870X2 would go nicely with my 680iSLI too I am sure.

I'm thinking you'll finally be running in to serious bandwidth issues running a dual PCIe 2.0 card on a 16x PCIe 1.1 slot with this generation. Luckily a P45 is a cheap fix.

I'm thinking you'll finally be running in to serious bandwidth issues running a dual PCIe 2.0 card on a 16x PCIe 1.1 slot with this generation. Luckily a P45 is a cheap fix.

Interesting. I never thought of this potential issue.

There should be some sort of formula to figure it out, no?

I wonder what the "System Requirements" on the new cards will be.

Back