5870 - $299

Interesting. I never thought of this potential issue.

There should be some sort of formula to figure it out, no?

I wonder what the "System Requirements" on the new cards will be.

Well, it's something that could very easily be tested given the right gear. Any review site like HardOCP could answer this question definitively with a few tests.

So when will the 5870 be available on store shelves again? *suffering from itchy trigger finger*

I'm thinking you'll finally be running in to serious bandwidth issues running a dual PCIe 2.0 card on a 16x PCIe 1.1 slot with this generation. Luckily a P45 is a cheap fix.

Not just P45; there's also P43 and X48 (and that's just Intel's LGA775 chipsets). nVidia has a few contenders in the chipset department (and not all of those are for SLI; the nForce 7100/630i also supports PCIe Gen2, and it's primarily in mATX formfactor boards for the HTPC/SFF crowd), and they include the entirety of the nForce 7 series.

If HD58xx is actually the first GPU series to approach using all the bandwidth that PCIe Gen2 can offer, there are all sorts of chipsets that support it.

Not just P45; there's also P43 and X48 (and that's just Intel's LGA775 chipsets). nVidia has a few contenders in the chipset department (and not all of those are for SLI; the nForce 7100/630i also supports PCIe Gen2, and it's primarily in mATX formfactor boards for the HTPC/SFF crowd), and they include the entirety of the nForce 7 series.

If HD58xx is actually the first GPU series to approach using all the bandwidth that PCIe Gen2 can offer, there are all sorts of chipsets that support it.

I am going out on a limb and say that it isn't. even with eyefinity I don't think that bandwidth is going to be that much more, its not like amount of textures or wire frames increase proportionally with resolution. I wonder if that would be true of DX11 though? I may well be missing something though. still it would be interesting to compare the 4800 crossfire PCIe scaling with the 5800 series.

I heard the 22nd in a couple random articles

I hope it's true....2 5870s in a week = yes please.

Seems to good to be true though, on the 10th they didn't even have crossfire working yet.

I heard the 22nd in a couple random articles

I hope it's true....2 5870s in a week = yes please.

Seems to good to be true though, on the 10th they didn't even have crossfire working yet.
Some sites have already leaked VERY impressive 5870 Crossfire results.

on the 10th they didn't even have crossfire working yet.

I think it was more that they didn't have Eyefinity working with a Crossfire setup. I'd imagine that for those running single monitors, Crossfire with two 5870s works just fine.

Sept 22nd is the release date for the 1 gb 5870 at $399...

Ok now I'm worried about this PCIE 2.0 thing, I believe my mobo has PCIE 1.1 slots and I'm planning to pick up the HD 5870 as soon as its available to replace the 8800GT. Would the card even work on my P35 P5K-E? I would think newer gen cards should still be backwords compatible without a performance hit like the current cards are. And I'm not planning to upgrade any other part of my rig for a while since I'm pretty happy with it.

Last edited:
Ok now I'm worried about this PCIE 2.0 thing, I believe my mobo has PCIE 1.1 slots and I'm planning to pick up the HD 5870 as soon as its available to replace the 8800GT. Would the card even work on my P35 P5K-E? I would think newer gen cards should still be backwords compatible without a performance hit like the current cards are.
if thats a x16 slot on your 1.1 board then you should be okay performance wise. really depends on strong he cards really are. if the 5870 is as fast as the 4870x2 then it could be borderline. if that is just an 8x 1.1 slot then it will certainly be a limitation.

Sept 22nd is the release date for the 1 gb 5870 at $399...

Would love to first see the benchmarks for the 2gb card for $449. Will the extra 1gb truly help in triple screen gaming and be worth the extra $50 ?
How far away is the 5870 2gb from release ?

It would be amazing if they pull this thing out at a lower price than expected. I don't think it'll happen, but it would be amazing.

I'm still holding on for the 5850.

Looks like my initial prediction of $349 was closer to the mark. I guess we'll see for sure when the card comes out. 1 more week!!

posted this in the wrong thread previously!

SAPPHIRE VIDEO CARD 100281SR HD5870 1GB DDR5 F RT PCIE DDVI-I HDMI DP RETAIL UPC:840777043691 100281SR 5lb
Cn$400.00

Price from a Canadian whole sale co :p

Back