42" OLED MASTER THREAD

Upgraded to the LG C2 42" OLED today. Microcenter had it for $100 off. Decided to jump on it. Massive upgrade over my Alienware AW3420DW 34" Ultrawide monitor. Currently playing thru Skyrim (I know...Never beaten it...). I can't believe how much of an improvement the C2 is over the AW3420DW. Running Windows 11 and being able to just leave HDR mode on all the time and lower the SDR content brightness is a godsend, vast improvement over Windows 10. AutoHDR seems really cool too, pretty significant difference in Skyrim (which supports it). Last year I attempted to use my 55" CX OLED as a PC monitor, 55" is just way too big. 42" is perfect though!

View attachment 496834

View attachment 496833

View attachment 496859

I'm looking at doing the same upgrade.

I also have the 3420DW monitor.

Is this $100 off deal still going at MC?

Upgraded to the LG C2 42" OLED today. Microcenter had it for $100 off. Decided to jump on it. Massive upgrade over my Alienware AW3420DW 34" Ultrawide monitor. Currently playing thru Skyrim (I know...Never beaten it...). I can't believe how much of an improvement the C2 is over the AW3420DW. Running Windows 11 and being able to just leave HDR mode on all the time and lower the SDR content brightness is a godsend, vast improvement over Windows 10. AutoHDR seems really cool too, pretty significant difference in Skyrim (which supports it). Last year I attempted to use my 55" CX OLED as a PC monitor, 55" is just way too big. 42" is perfect though!

Do you think 48" would have been too big? I was thinking of going with a cheaper C1 but a 42" might be the perfect size in which I'd have to get the C2.

Do you think 48" would have been too big? I was thinking of going with a cheaper C1 but a 42" might be the perfect size in which I'd have to get the C2.
Another option is to wait for the c2 42" to drop in several months, unless the money is insignificant to you. I have seen people go from 48 to 42 and remark it's a big difference.

Reactions: cvinh
like this
I saw the 48" C1 next to the 42" C2 at Microcenter. 48" is a lot bigger, too big to be used as a PC monitor imo.

Reactions: cvinh
like this
Yeah I have seen people say the 42" for a desktop PC monitor is the sweet spot at just the right size, where the 48" is too large when sitting so close to it.

Well during Amazon prime day it qualified for the 25% off warehouse deals so you could get a used like new for $930ish which my friend did and it was just a unopened return. I think during black friday it will dip to $1099 or $999 new.

Well during Amazon prime day it qualified for the 25% off warehouse deals so you could get a used like new for $930ish which my friend did and it was just a unopened return. I think during black friday it will dip to $1099 or $999 new.

Agreed, the 42" will settle in at around $999 before the holidays.

Even for $1299 this 42" OLED monitor is what us PC Gaming nerds have been dreaming of years ago.

Back in the day when the Dell 30" monitor was the new hot bad ass display, we only dreamed of a flat panel OLED large 42" screen back then, and this is cheaper than that was back in the day, I think when the 30" Dell first released they are like $1500+.

Even for $1299 this 42" OLED monitor is what us PC Gaming nerds have been dreaming of years ago.

Back in the day when the Dell 30" monitor was the new hot bad ass display, we only dreamed of a flat panel OLED large 42" screen back then, and this is cheaper than that was back in the day, I think when the 30" Dell first released they are like $1500+.
I only paid about $670 for my Dell 3007wfp-hc :D refurb with 5 year dell warranty about a year later. It was one heck of a deal, I loved that thing. I'm on a 4k60 28" panel right now, so I'm eyeing this seriously for when the price drops more (I'm in no rush). Other alternative for me since I will be using it for work too is a gigabyte m28u or m32u... Not exactly the same thing, I know.

I only paid about $670 for my Dell 3007wfp-hc :D refurb with 5 year dell warranty about a year later. It was one heck of a deal, I loved that thing. I'm on a 4k60 28" panel right now, so I'm eyeing this seriously for when the price drops more (I'm in no rush). Other alternative for me since I will be using it for work too is a gigabyte m28u or m32u... Not exactly the same thing, I know.

I'm currently on a CX48 so not really in a rush to upgrade either. The C1 was $799 not too long ago so I suspect that when the C3 comes out we will be able to find the C2 for $799 if not less which is absolute steal, and given that LG has sorta hit on a wall on improving WOLED I doubt the C3 will be able to deliver a big leap in image quality over the C2.

I'm currently on a CX48 so not really in a rush to upgrade either. The C1 was $799 not too long ago so I suspect that when the C3 comes out we will be able to find the C2 for $799 if not less which is absolute steal, and given that LG has sorta hit on a wall on improving WOLED I doubt the C3 will be able to deliver a big leap in image quality over the C2.

$799 would be an outrageous no-brainer deal for this display.

I'm really interested to see how the A90K performs compared to the C2.

EDIT:

I wonder if it fits the size/weight limits for a Taobao agent to drop ship. They are gouging hard, started at the equivalent of $1400 USD and its now north of $1700.

PG42UQ

tinyurl.com/33j9d73x

Last edited:

Do you like Star Trek? ;)

I'll watch that later, but the title's kinda dumb. "Is the C2 still awesome for PC gaming?!" Uh, yeah? It's only like, the holy grail display for a crap ton of gamers who can spend some money on a good monitor, and has only been out for a few months... I know tech moves fast but gotta get them clicks I suppose.

I think once you’ve owned a monitor and used it as a daily driver for a while you may feel the shine has worn off, it may develop new flaws or you notice and are bothered by things you missed initially. A review a few months in can be pretty valuable.

The one, combined of three ranking divisions - Image quality, Input lag and HDR performance, the ultimate, the undefeated and undisputed, no contest gaming display in the world.... the LG 42 C2 !!!

That'd be more like it.

The one, combined of three ranking divisions - Image quality, Input lag and HDR performance, the ultimate, the undefeated and undisputed, no contest gaming display in the world.... the LG 42 C2 !!!

That'd be more like it.
No AW3423 beats it on HDR and uniformity

No AW3423 beats it on HDR and uniformity
I'll give you uniformity although it's a non issue for me personally on the C2 but even before Rtings measured 430nits in real content highlights on the AW, I said the C2 looks brighter and it does. No game content I tried made the color volume difference meaningful at all and in best case scenario was like adding +3 saturation.

I'll give you uniformity although it's a non issue for me personally on the C2 but even before Rtings measured 430nits in real content highlights on the AW, I said the C2 looks brighter and it does. No game content I tried made the color volume difference meaningful at all and in best case scenario was like adding +3 saturation.

Do game developers even use monitors with such color performance to create their work on? Feels like the extra color volume on top tier displays are wasted if the content played on it was never intended to display such colors in the first place.

Do game developers even use monitors with such color performance to create their work on? Feels like the extra color volume on top tier displays are wasted if the content played on it was never intended to display such colors in the first place.

Iam sure this varies from dev to dev but from my experience artists usually get good monitors. But they aren't using the $100k mastering monitors filmmakers do for mastering big budget movies.

So they're probably just using whichever is the best consumer monitor at the time of development. Which wouldn't be inferior to a new OLED released after the game was finished.

I'm really interested to see how the A90K performs compared to the C2.

EDIT:

I wonder if it fits the size/weight limits for a Taobao agent to drop ship. They are gouging hard, started at the equivalent of $1400 USD and its now north of $1700.

PG42UQ

tinyurl.com/33j9d73x
So tempting if someone can ship it to the USA. Been looking around but no solid answers if they can or not

So tempting if someone can ship it to the USA. Been looking around but no solid answers if they can or not
1659636737807.png

I rather wait a bit more than take the risk of a shitty shipping company mishandling an expensive display all the way from the far East lol.

Got my C242 last night. Only got 35 mins use before bed.

Also have a Neo G9, I have to say, my initial impression of the C2 is that it doesn't seem as vibrant and lively as the HDR PQ quality as my Neo G9 after trying CyberPunk 2077 in HDR.

Not sure why that is, maybe my settings are not correct on the C2?
I have:
'Game Optimizer' on
OLED Brightness 100
Contrast 100
Black level 10
HDMI Deep color to 4K
Energy saving off
Logo brightness Low
RGB Full 12b in Windows 11
HDR activated etc

What should my ingame CP2077 settings be?

The colors on the C2 seem slightly dull compared to my Neo G9. On my Neo G9, all the colors really POP! The only thing better I found on the C2 was the black levels.

Anyways, like I said, I only had about 35mins of testing, going to mess around a bit more on the weekend with it. Surely it has to look just as good if not better than the Neo G9 HDR game PQ quality. Ill post some comparison pics later too.

Also have a Neo G9, I have to say, my initial impression of the C2 is that it doesn't seem as vibrant and lively as the HDR PQ quality as my Neo G9 after trying CyberPunk 2077 in HDR.

I have:
'Game Optimizer' on
OLED Brightness 100
Contrast 100
Black level 10
HDMI Deep color to 4K
Energy saving off
Logo brightness Low
HDR activated etc

The colors on the C2 seem slightly dull compared to my Neo G9. On my Neo G9, all the colors really POP! The only thing better I found on the C2 was the black levels.

Anyways, like I said, I only had about 35mins of testing, going to mess around a bit more on the weekend with it. Surely it has to look just as good if not better than the Neo G9 HDR game PQ quality. Ill post some comparison pics later too.
I read one review that said peak brightness in game mode is only like 200 something nits and is disappointing. Game mode is likely the culprit. Of course you want game mode on for the features, but it seems like brightness may be an issue for this display. The review also indicated out of the box color settings were terrible and it needs calibration. Sorry I don’t have a link.

Rtings has 2 different reviews on the C2

In both reviews, they use game optimiser mode and non-game optimiser mode and both results show HDR brightness is nearly the same though.

I can notice small brightness highlights really do pop. But overall picture colour/vibrancy is very noticeably less than my neo G9.

I have:
'Game Optimizer' on
OLED Brightness 100
Contrast 100
Black level 10
HDMI Deep color to 4K
Energy saving off
Logo brightness Low
HDR activated etc

Here are my settings, I haven't tried CyberPunk HDR myself but all other HDR games look fantastic:

pixel brightness - 100
contrast - 100
black level - 50
dyn tone mapping - on
color depth - 50
color temperature - warm 48
adjust sharpness - 0 (Under Clarity)

Back