42" OLED MASTER THREAD

BFI is fine for SDR games on my CX 48". It ends up about the same brightness as I would use normally in SDR as long as you don't use the "high" setting for BFI. For HDR it's not an option, just makes it look like SDR.

My beef with the feature was that it was a real chore to activate or you had to setup a separate picture preset for it. It's a shame it's gone as having the option is better than not having it at all.

For retro gaming my choice would still be a proper CRT. OLED is just too sharp for games designed for CRTs.

You're one of 8 people interested in BFI along with the 12 that used it on the CX/C1.
It’s an option. Don’t want it, don’t enable it. Seeing as the engineers at LG already figured out how to implement it, I would have to imagine they spent more effort removing it from the C2 than leaving it in. Remember it’s a self-emissive display. Literally no tuning required to make it look fine. Just set the strobe pulse length and off you go.

My suspicion/speculation? BFI on 60hz (8ms) is about the same motion clarity as 120hz sample and hold (8.3ms). And so they were going for consistency.

The fact that you’re championing the removal of options, when they exist in previous generations, is simply baffling.

Last edited:
I suspect LG removed the 240Hz backplane on the 42C2 to save cost. That's required for 120Hz BFI.

It’s an option. Don’t want it, don’t enable it. Seeing as the engineers at LG already figured out how to implement it, I would have to imagine they spent more effort removing it from the C2 than leaving it in. Remember it’s a self-emissive display. Literally no tuning required to make it look fine. Just set the strobe pulse length and off you go.

My suspicion/speculation? BFI on 60hz (8ms) is about the same motion clarity as 120hz sample and hold (8.3ms). And so they were going for consistency.

The fact that you’re championing the removal of options, when they exist in previous generations, is simply baffling.
The inclusion of BFI is not trivial both in terms of engineering time/cost and QA. I'm advocating that be directed toward something the majority of people could benefit from instead of 6 outraged people on a forum. If it means lower prices to get more OLEDs in peoples homes and in result smaller available options I'm all for it.

What you're not realizing here just like the glossy vs matte debate is LG/Samsung have metrics to go off. Most of these TV's are online and they pull telemetry which likely resulted in them canning BFI because nobody used it. Its the same reason Asus does not produce glossy monitors because they probe large customer bases like the professional studios/business customers that purchase their PA series monitors in bulk all of which unanimously vote matte. The logic is if people with working eyeballs in light controlled environments grading films or producing content don't want glossy, why would your average basement dweller gamer who is blind and would likely consider it a detriment, etc. LG knows what their customers want and BFI isn't a priority.

Last edited:
The inclusion of BFI is not trivial both in terms of engineering time/cost and QA. I'm advocating that be directed toward something the majority of people could benefit from instead of 6 outraged people on a forum. If it means lower prices to get more OLEDs in peoples homes and in result smaller available options I'm all for it.

What you're not realizing here just like the glossy vs matte debate is LG/Samsung have metrics to go off. Most of these TV's are online and they pull telemetry which likely resulted in them canning BFI because nobody used it. Its the same reason Asus does not produce glossy monitors because they probe large customer bases like the professional studios/business customers that purchase their PA series monitors in bulk all of which unanimously vote matte. The logic is if people with working eyeballs in light controlled environments grading films or producing content don't want glossy, why would your average basement dweller gamer who is blind and would likely consider it a detriment, etc. LG knows what their customers want and BFI isn't a priority.

Except removing BFI did not lower the prices at all? 48C1 and 48C2 are the exact same price msrp wise. The other sizes maybe but I mean they were surely bound to get price reductions anyway since those sizes been on the market for years and should've naturally trended downwards regardless.

BFI is probably reserved for future 42" models. Can't improve the 42C2 much, it is already at its top OLED performance. Other than upping refresh rate, enabling BFI or shoving off a ms or two of input lag with a better cpu.

Guess all of the high end TVs and monitors that have glossy screens, including many Apple products used for graphic design and other professional applications, are for blind, basement dwelling gamers. Weird.

You're one of 8 people interested in BFI along with the 12 that used it on the CX/C1.

I mean, the difference in motion clarity is obvious. I'm guessing most people here are using this display for gaming, right? Why wouldn't you want better BFI?

rtings has a motion clarity example for the 42" C2 and 48" C1, which you can see here:

C1 with 120hz and BFI: https://i.rtings.com/assets/products/QfFLu3Zv/lg-48-c1-oled/bfi-large.jpg
C2 with 120hz no BFI: https://i.rtings.com/assets/products/68DL6siD/lg-42-c2-oled/motion-blur-120-large.jpg

This isn't something that only matters for competitive gaming, essentially every game will have very poor motion clarity, when otherwise it doesn't need to. Why are we seemingly going backwards with this tech? As for brightness, cutting brightness in half still gives you a very bright display, and in my opinion very high brightness is less important for OLED due to it's infinite contrast. I've always felt like low brightness is a very exaggerated issue, I have a few ULMB displays which are supposed to have "poor" brightness with ULMB on, but unless I'm in a very bright room, they're still very bright at ~30% or so, which is the maximum I ever use them at. In a low light setting, your eyes will adjust to nearly anything anyway.

Well they should bring bfi back and improve it with less lag.

They should also up the game and provide 4k 240hz refresh rate.

Hopefully they do this with C3 42" glossy screen.

If it's a matter of cost due to beefier electeonics and cooling they should make C3 premium edition and charge more. But for the love of God NO MATTE AG.

If it's a matter of cost due to beefier electeonics and cooling they should make C3 premium edition and charge more. But for the love of God NO MATTE AG.
Rtings’s input lag measurements show the C2’s BFI implementation lagging at 30ms, versus the C1’s 10ms, also.

I can actually see that happening. Remove BFI from the C2 then add it back with the C3 and say that they listened to community feedback (Even though "nobody uses BFI" apparently).

Some of the comments here are hilarious and to the point of mind blowing. I get that 42 inches is still to big for most but for those that come from an lcd setup there is no comparison. There will always b room for improvement but LG did a great job and nearly perfected this. How much more perfect do you need this to be. Just get one and live in the moment.

I've had mine for about a month. I've pretty much gotten used to the 42" size by now. It can sometimes still feel a bit large but worth it for the superior picture quality.

The only issue I've had so far is after I've used the display for a bit it will sometimes start flickering like its dropping data. If I unplug the HDMI cable from the GPU and plug it back in everything will re-sync and I won't have any more issues until I turn the display off and back on. I guess I need to order a new cable to see if that's the issue though this is a certified Zeskit cable.

there is a review on the Asus PG48UQ, however, I don't know what language the review is in. Some part seems to be English

I mean, the difference in motion clarity is obvious. I'm guessing most people here are using this display for gaming, right? Why wouldn't you want better BFI?

rtings has a motion clarity example for the 42" C2 and 48" C1, which you can see here:

C1 with 120hz and BFI: https://i.rtings.com/assets/products/QfFLu3Zv/lg-48-c1-oled/bfi-large.jpg
C2 with 120hz no BFI: https://i.rtings.com/assets/products/68DL6siD/lg-42-c2-oled/motion-blur-120-large.jpg

This isn't something that only matters for competitive gaming, essentially every game will have very poor motion clarity, when otherwise it doesn't need to. Why are we seemingly going backwards with this tech? As for brightness, cutting brightness in half still gives you a very bright display, and in my opinion very high brightness is less important for OLED due to it's infinite contrast. I've always felt like low brightness is a very exaggerated issue, I have a few ULMB displays which are supposed to have "poor" brightness with ULMB on, but unless I'm in a very bright room, they're still very bright at ~30% or so, which is the maximum I ever use them at. In a low light setting, your eyes will adjust to nearly anything anyway.
what is the exact length x width of that word "rtings"

I see Sony is about to hit the streets with their take on 42" OLED, looks about the same specification as LG but with GoogleTV vice WebOS on the LG. BRAVIA XR A90K, 42":
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-4...4k-hdr-oled-google-tv/6505134.p?skuId=6505134

I have a Sony 50" QLED in the bedroom hooked up to the Radeon 6900 XT system, only the most recent firmware supports VRR, even though the TV shipped with HDMI 2.1 ports and advertised as such with a future VRR support. Well the VRR does not work with the Radeon, does not see it as a FreeSync monitor, at least yet. Anyways looks like another option over the LG, have not seen any reviews yet on this.

It will cost more than LG. Be prepared to pay the ROG tax.
Prepared, if it fixes the ABI (whatever it is called for brightness) and better looking text, brighter HDR and longer lasting potential due to heatsink if it actually works. Look forward to reviews once it arrives.

Anyone know if there are any future 32” ish version planned?

32" of an LG WRGB OLED that's used in their TVs? No nothing is planned, but JOLED already makes 32", it's just that nobody has bothered to try and make a gaming monitor out of it. The only monitor out using that panel is aimed at professionals and only has 60Hz with no VRR.

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/desktop-monitors/lg-32ep950-b

Anyone know if there are any future 32” ish version planned?

32" of an LG WRGB OLED that's used in their TVs? No nothing is planned, but JOLED already makes 32", it's just that nobody has bothered to try and make a gaming monitor out of it. The only monitor out using that panel is aimed at professionals and only has 60Hz with no VRR.

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/desktop-monitors/lg-32ep950-b
LG has a 240hz 27" 1440p panel planned according to tftcentral. Sounds like it will be WRGB.

Yeah but he was asking about 32" size and I'm assuming 4k resolution. That new OLED panel does sound neat but with Samsung pushing out 32" 4k 240Hz Mini LED I really wish LG would at least try to match that in terms of size and resolution.
There seems to be a tradeoff between brightness, lifespan, and pixel density with OLED, and increasing one spec reduces the other two. A 32" 4k has about a 26% higher pixel density than 27" 1440p, so I'm guessing they're trading lower pixel density for higher brightness and/or lifespan for a consumer-oriented panel. There may be a practical lower limit to WRGB pixel size, as well.

Edit: LG does make a 77" 8k TV, so at least in principle they should be able to make a 38.5" 4k display.

Last edited:
Reactions: noko
like this
PG48UQ is already discounted to under $1800 (11999 yuan) in China. I'm expecting the PG42UQ MSRP to be around $1500-$1700 in the US.

1657323017883.png

Reactions: cvinh
like this
Finally got the C2 42 yesterday. Damn, this thing is beautiful. I like the stand they provided which allows it to sit at the very back of my desk too.

Are there any settings you guys would recommend to for sure turn on or off? I'm running it in PC mode right now and looks like it has defaulted to Game Optimizer picture mode for SDR and HDR.

Finally got the C2 42 yesterday. Damn, this thing is beautiful. I like the stand they provided which allows it to sit at the very back of my desk too.

Are there any settings you guys would recommend to for sure turn on or off? I'm running it in PC mode right now and looks like it has defaulted to Game Optimizer picture mode for SDR and HDR.
There is a lot of good info here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/mbpiwy/lg_oled_gamingpc_monitor_recommended_settings/

Yeah but he was asking about 32" size and I'm assuming 4k resolution. That new OLED panel does sound neat but with Samsung pushing out 32" 4k 240Hz Mini LED I really wish LG would at least try to match that in terms of size and resolution.
I'm guessing making a 27" 1440p panel with their current production line is easier and they can probably sell it to a lot of gamers as that's the most popular form factor. I still see a lot of "32 inch is too big" talk on e.g Reddit even though in reality it's not massive.

Unfortunately based on TFT Central's articles, AUO and LG upcoming panel developments don't really impress. AUO seems to have 32" 4K screens only going into production in Q3 2023 while LG doesn't seem to have anything new in that format. So Samsung is most likely the only viable game in town, but with excessive curve and scanline issues.

The best we can expect is an improved 42" 4K OLED where hopefully LG makes it more desktop friendly by making ASBL toggleable from regular settings, making a model with Displayport, brighter in HDR with a heatsink and so on. Remains to be seen if the ASUS PG42UQ actually manages to be these things or is it a dud because of something stupid done by ASUS.

Remains to be seen if the ASUS PG42UQ actually manages to be these things or is it a dud because of something stupid done by ASUS.
My expectations for this is that it will be overpriced and underperform compared to the C2. Though I would love to be wrong as I need a new monitor in this size after the scaler on my 43" Sony died. I almost pulled the trigger on a C2 yesterday, but I want to wait and see how the other 42" OLEDs perform and I've been busy lately so wouldn't get much use out of it.

Come Black Friday I'll probably have a C2.

Just got mine a few days ago... WOW :) love this thing.

I witnessed the VRR flickering. Launched the old Mech Warriors Online game and oh man it's all over. Basically, had to disable the G-Sync because flickering is not just noticeable in that game but annoying. On the positive side, game still runs buttery smooth, much decreased the input lag, and it may seem but the graphics are sharper with vrr off, maybe just a placebo or that constant flickering distorted the image perception. I feel like I will be disabling the VRR now for all games to gain some more less input lag 😀

I witnessed the VRR flickering. Launched the old Mech Warriors Online game and oh man it's all over. Basically, had to disable the G-Sync because flickering is not just noticeable in that game but annoying. On the positive side, game still runs buttery smooth, much decreased the input lag, and it may seem but the graphics are sharper with vrr off, maybe just a placebo or that constant flickering distorted the image perception. I feel like I will be disabling the VRR now for all games to gain some more less input lag 😀
I got mine yesterday. It also had the vrr flicker. The problem though, was my hdmi cable. After buying a certified 4k ultra 48gbs hdmi cable the problem went away.

Even installed the LGTV companion and am now very happy. Except it makes my Dell 3008 look dated. :/

Thanks to all the people responding to the question about a smaller version of this. :)

Now, back to replaying all my old games :)

I got mine yesterday. It also had the vrr flicker. The problem though, was my hdmi cable. After buying a certified 4k ultra 48gbs hdmi cable the problem went away.

Even installed the LGTV companion and am now very happy. Except it makes my Dell 3008 look dated. :/

Thanks to all the people responding to the question about a smaller version of this. :)

Now, back to replaying all my old games :)
I don't know man, mine seems certified - https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/hdmi-8k-10k/forest-48. I doubt it's the cable since MWO is not even HDR, and in HDR games like FarCry6 for example flickering, well, at least noticeable, happens only during the loading screens, not during gameplay. From the other hand MWO does hits the 120 fps limit constantly, while FC6 doesn't...

Anyway, congrats on the beautiful monitor. It is currently the best one regardless the flickering issue.

Back