• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$2500 5090 I’m out

Ahh, Fellow Masshole. Not too many of us on here it seems.

Yeah, there are only like 28 Microcenters in total, so not everyone is near one.

I've been impressed with their ability to get things in stock others don't. Makes me wonder how they do it. I was able to pick up a 9800x3d there before the holidays with no difficulty at all. They had like 30 in stock.

Maybe with a little luck, that will be the case with 5000 series GPU's as well.
Yes indeed, I live near the shithole called Worcester. It's really a hour drive and I've been there several times, but these days I hate driving into Boston, the average speed on the Mass Pike is 90-100mph, and it's loaded with lunatic Masshole drivers. So I would rather stay home and wait for whatever to become available. Go figure I used to drive LTL tractor trailers into Boston all the time, I don't know how the hell I did it.
 
But let's be real, mobody needs a 5090 on January 30th. That's just sick first world problems.

Your life isn't going to change by getting it right away on launch day. It doesn't fucking matter in a grand scheme of the universe. People need to chill the fuck out and stop with the fomo.

If you're patient, go to Microcenter always check the auto notify email with Best Buy stock. You will get a card but it might not be until March, April or May which is okay. It doesn't fucking matter. You don't need the card immediately the week they come out.

People need to relax. It's just a video card not a kidney transplant.
In the grand scheme of the universe, Earth as a whole, doesn’t matter either so whatever point you think you’re making, I’m not so sure you succeeded.
 
looks like a general statement to me, nobody HAS to have one day one, they want to.

I didn't get my 4090 on day one, took me almost a month afterwards to snag a FE model from Bestbuy. If I had to wait another month or two extra that wouldn't have been a big deal either since I already had a 3080 Ti. If I don't get a 5090 day one then once again it's not the end of the world I can easily wait since I have my 4090 in the mean time. As a general statement sure it's valid and I agree with it, but you gotta admit the amount of butthurt and saltiness in delivering that statement was next level lol.
 
I didn't get my 4090 on day one, took me almost a month afterwards to snag a FE model from Bestbuy. If I had to wait another month or two extra that wouldn't have been a big deal either since I already had a 3080 Ti. If I don't get a 5090 day one then once again it's not the end of the world I can easily wait since I have my 4090 in the mean time. As a general statement sure it's valid and I agree with it, but you gotta admit the amount of butthurt and saltiness in delivering that statement was next level lol.
Quoted for emphasis.
 
4070 base clock = 1.9 GHz
5070 base clock = 2.2 GHz

4070 bandwidth = 504 GB/s
5070 bandwidth = 672 GB/s

That's a 32.8% increase in cores over the 4090.
Which is a low uptick gen over gen. A 4090 has 56% more CUDA cores than a 3090 and 52% more than a 3090Ti
Drawing from Techpowerup's review pages for performance summary's relative performance's table for all resolutions tested, or where there is no "all resolution" using 3840x2160:

280 -> 480 = 49%
285 -> 480 = 39%

480 -> 580 = 11% (but that's not so much a generational change as a major refinement released significantly less than a year later)

480 -> 680 = 37%
580 -> 680 = 19%

680 -> 780 = 20%
680 -> Titan = 30%
680 -> 780 ti = 38%

780ti -> 980 = 8%
780ti -> 980 ti = 43%
780ti -> Titan X = 49%

980 -> 1080 = 69%
980ti -> 1080 = 37%
980 -> 1080 ti = 85%
980 ti -> 1080 ti = 54%

1080 -> 2080 FE = 45%
1080 -> 2080 ti FE = 85%
1080 ti -> 2080 ti FE = 39%

2080 FE -> 3080 FE = 67%
2080 FE -> 3090 = 85%
2080 ti FE -> 3090 = 45%

3080 -> 4080 FE = 49%
3080 -> 4090 FE = 89%
3090 -> 4090 FE = 64%

Generational uplift for a good generational change used to be more in the 50-70% range, presuming price stayed roughly constant between the two generations. When price was meaningfully increased between two generations, or the uplift was smaller, or worse... both, then it was considered poorer to outright bad.
 
Not personal at all. It's obvious from your comments and sig that you buy lower end PC components. Nothing wrong with that.
I'm not sure why you are so concerned about the high-end GPUs. It's obvious you aren't the target market at all.
lol ok...
so because i dont have complete top of the line i dont get to be interested in the new hardware?
anyone with money is the target.
 
lol ok...
so because i dont have complete top of the line i dont get to be interested in the new hardware?
anyone with money is the target.
My point was you are complaining about price when you don't buy high priced stuff anyway. Hence the comment you aren't the target market for the high-end.
 
My point was you are complaining about price when you don't buy high priced stuff anyway. Hence the comment you aren't the target market for the high-end.
"looks like a general statement" is not complaining about prices and that is what you replied to.
yes i have said its too much for me to justify with how i game. thats not a complaint about the price and doesnt mean i cant afford it. yes i have complained about scalpers, not the same thing.
anyone with money is the target market.
 
My point was you are complaining about price when you don't buy high priced stuff anyway. Hence the comment you aren't the target market for the high-end.

That makes no sense when the rest of the product stack other than the Halo would be the target for him. Halo card always sets the price for the rest of the stack, thus why he is complaining about the price of it. Why most of us are complaining about it, it's freaking way too high and it's slowly killing the pc gaming market. I mean a thousand bucks for a really cut down second tier card is stupidly over priced and thus why the 4080 rotted on shelves.
 
"looks like a general statement" is not complaining about prices and that is what you replied to.
yes i have said its too much for me to justify with how i game. thats not a complaint about the price and doesnt mean i cant afford it. yes i have complained about scalpers, not the same thing.
anyone with money is the target market.
Is my stuff high end enough to complain, or do I have to own a 4090, I didn't know we had a hierarchy here 😂
 
I've been building my own custom PC gaming rig since the mid-1990s

Bought the voodoo 2 when it was brand new. Have always bought the nearest high-end nVidia card almost every release since the 2000's typically the equivalent to an 80 series card, not the 90.

One thing I can say, video card updates are extremely underwhelming once you plug it in and turn on your game compared to your previous card, you're kind of like, oh okay yeah, maybe I see a difference. Let me run benchmarks. Oh okay, I'm getting more frames per second now wow LOL.

I recall going from a 1070 to a 2080Ti, and yes on paper is a pretty big upgrade. I remember taking out the old 1070 card wiping the drivers putting the new card in installing fresh drivers and then played the same games I've been playing, and I was like okay.... the game still looks the same. The game still plays the same. I guess that's a hair a bit smoother.

Then got the 3080 and now have the 4080. Again the same feeling, take out the old card, install the new card, super pumped up and very excited for the new results and ... Sure on paper it's faster but most of the time these upgrades just feel like side grades and after week I'm like okay it's still the same game. still plays very smooth don't really notice much of a diff. It's kind of like smartphones today, ten to fifteen years ago, upgrading to a new smartphone every year you did see big gains and way batter performance, but today going from a iPhone 15 Pro to an iPhone 16 pro you can barely tell the difference.

All my time building computers the biggest wow factor the biggest holy shit in my pants upgrades have been new monitors. I had that old 30-in Apple Cinema display I remember playing games on that and I was like holy motherfuck this is amazing. And then I got one of the early 34" Ultrawide and again I was blown away like holy shit. This is a super awesome upgrade. Currently have the 45 inch LG curved monitor, and the immersion factor on this is jaw-dropping just so cool. My point those monitor upgrades are immediately noticeable and a huge change compared to just going from video card to new video card.

But that's just my opinion
 
Last edited:
I don’t agree with the above statement about video card purchases being underwhelming. When I plugged my 4090 in I was absolutely blown away by the performance compared to a 3090 Ti I had in there.

Similarly, for Voodoo 4, Radeon 9700 Pro, GeForce 6800 GTX, GeForce 7800 GTX SLi, GTX 1080 Ti, RTX 3090 and so many more cards in between.

In monitors my holy shit moments have been 120 Hz 3D, 165 Hz, 240 Hz and recently 4K 240 Hz OLED with HDR.

Other holy shit moments include when I bought an SSD and then when I got an NVME.
 
Last edited:
These prices are for Jensen to ride the AI fad wave as well as he can. For data center usage your limit is the rack space.

Data center groups like AWS trying to shard out usage to people lured into the AI trap need their GPU footprint as dense as possible, which also tends to make the facility as green as possible.

These are going to sell like hot cakes, though maybe not the the gaming enthusiast.
 
Only 5,000 added cuda cores? Piss off Nvidia. This card sucks ass for my 3d rendering needs. Like another said 28 months for this shit?
Most of time was probably spent on the grace super computer + blackwell and nvlink for data centers.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Epyon
like this
Those 5090's are going to get gobbled up by the AI folk. Better grab them quickly.
 
My holy shit moment was upgrading my 486/66 from 4mb to 8mb.
Mine weren't installing new hardware but unlocking that hardware to its fullest potential: 1) figuring out how to allocate an extra 256k of sys mem in cmd prompt from 4mb to play Wing Commander and Ultima Black Gate 2) unmasking shaders on my GF 6800 vanilla to a 6800 GT.
 
Mine weren't installing new hardware but unlocking that hardware to its fullest potential: 1) figuring out how to allocate an extra 256k of sys mem in cmd prompt from 4mb to play Wing Commander and Ultima Black Gate 2) unmasking shaders on my GF 6800 vanilla to a 6800 GT.
Ahh yes... "conventional memory"
 
My holy shit moment was upgrading my 486/66 from 4mb to 8mb.

Yeah, last time I remember having a "holy shit moment" was in like 1994 when I upgraded my 8Mhz 286 with 1MB of RAM to a 486sx25 with 4MB of RAM. Both X-Wing and Tie Fighter would now run smoothly.

Everything since then seems mostly incremental, with each upgrade pulling me from marginal performance, back up to either acceptable or almost acceptable performance, every year or two.
 
Last edited:
My holy shit moment was upgrading my 486/66 from 4mb to 8mb.
I remember when I was a kid we upgraded from 8 MB to like, 40 MB or something. I remember it was crazy at the time, I don't recall what processor.
 
They're no longer in production and scalpers are trying to scalp.
3rd part sellers trying to hook someone desperate

No lowballers, I know what I got. 😂

I mean, seriously, there is literally no downside to them trying to pull this right now.

The 50 series announcement is already here, so they already missed the window to sell at pre-50 series announcement prices, so now they are just going to keep those prices up there for a few weeks hoping someone desperate will pay and hoping 50-series supply is terrible, so they look like a viable alternative.

I bet their plan is to re-assess based on 50-series availability and price them accordingly.

If 50-series availability is not an issue (which seems unlikely based on every GPU launch in the last 5 years) the true value of a NIB 4090 is probably going be somewhere between the price of the 5080 and the price of the 5070 ti, as that's where real performance will fall (without all the DLSS bullshit turned on). To find appropriate 4090 pricing, I would interpolate where between the 5080 and 5070ti it lands (when all DLSS is disabled on both) and then maybe subrtract $50 because it is an older architecture and doesn't support all the latest DLSS features.

So we are talking somewhere in the $700 to $950 range. Curently the 4090 beats the 4080 by ~26%, and Nvidia claims both the 5090 and 5080 are about 35% faster (without DLSS) so if that holds up, the 5080 will perform about 7% better than the 4090. So lets guesstimate 4090 fair pricing at about ~$880.

But if you have new in box inventory 4090's right now, it is totally worth it to just hold out and see if you can sell them at those prices, because 50-series inventory could be disastrous, and scalped way higher than MSRP, and performance figures havent been independently tested yet. Worst thing they can do from their perspective is fire sale their inventory, only to find out they didn't have to.

So they are likely totally in "wait and see" mode right now.

And that presumes they are even competent or care. The 4090 may just be one of many things they carry in stock, that they don't give much mind share to, or they are unwilling to take the financial writeoff on it as it looks bad, and will instead just sit on it indefinitely. This happens a lot, even though the financial incentive should be that it is better to get something for it than nothing.

Human psychology is weird like that.
 
You can buy used 4090s here in the UK for £400 less today than you could Monday afternoon, and there are tons of them. Possibly controversial, but I wouldn't touch a used one for more than £1200/$1200. That said, this is thd time to buy one.
 
No lowballers, I know what I got. 😂

I mean, seriously, there is literally no downside to them trying to pull this right now.

The 50 series announcement is already here, so they already missed the window to sell at pre-50 series announcement prices, so now they are just going to keep those prices up there for a few weeks hoping someone desperate will pay and hoping 50-series supply is terrible, so they look like a viable alternative.

I bet their plan is to re-assess based on 50-series availability and price them accordingly.

If 50-series availability is not an issue (which seems unlikely based on every GPU launch in the last 5 years) the true value of a NIB 4090 is probably going be somewhere between the price of the 5080 and the price of the 5070 ti, as that's where real performance will fall (without all the DLSS bullshit turned on). To find appropriate 4090 pricing, I would interpolate where between the 5080 and 5070ti it lands (when all DLSS is disabled on both) and then maybe subrtract $50 because it is an older architecture and doesn't support all the latest DLSS features.

So we are talking somewhere in the $700 to $950 range. Curently the 4090 beats the 4080 by ~26%, and Nvidia claims both the 5090 and 5080 are about 35% faster (without DLSS) so if that holds up, the 5080 will perform about 7% better than the 4090. So lets guesstimate 4090 fair pricing at about ~$880.

But if you have new in box inventory 4090's right now, it is totally worth it to just hold out and see if you can sell them at those prices, because 50-series inventory could be disastrous, and scalped way higher than MSRP, and performance figures havent been independently tested yet. Worst thing they can do from their perspective is fire sale their inventory, only to find out they didn't have to.

So they are likely totally in "wait and see" mode right now.

And that presumes they are even competent or care. The 4090 may just be one of many things they carry in stock, that they don't give much mind share to, or they are unwilling to take the financial writeoff on it as it looks bad, and will instead just sit on it indefinitely. This happens a lot, even though the financial incentive should be that it is better to get something for it than nothing.

Human psychology is weird like that.

one line does not require a novel of a response....
sure let them try and get the last of the suckers or the desperate.
 
No lowballers, I know what I got. 😂

I mean, seriously, there is literally no downside to them trying to pull this right now.

The 50 series announcement is already here, so they already missed the window to sell at pre-50 series announcement prices, so now they are just going to keep those prices up there for a few weeks hoping someone desperate will pay and hoping 50-series supply is terrible, so they look like a viable alternative.

I bet their plan is to re-assess based on 50-series availability and price them accordingly.

If 50-series availability is not an issue (which seems unlikely based on every GPU launch in the last 5 years) the true value of a NIB 4090 is probably going be somewhere between the price of the 5080 and the price of the 5070 ti, as that's where real performance will fall (without all the DLSS bullshit turned on). To find appropriate 4090 pricing, I would interpolate where between the 5080 and 5070ti it lands (when all DLSS is disabled on both) and then maybe subrtract $50 because it is an older architecture and doesn't support all the latest DLSS features.

So we are talking somewhere in the $700 to $950 range. Curently the 4090 beats the 4080 by ~26%, and Nvidia claims both the 5090 and 5080 are about 35% faster (without DLSS) so if that holds up, the 5080 will perform about 7% better than the 4090. So lets guesstimate 4090 fair pricing at about ~$880.

But if you have new in box inventory 4090's right now, it is totally worth it to just hold out and see if you can sell them at those prices, because 50-series inventory could be disastrous, and scalped way higher than MSRP, and performance figures havent been independently tested yet. Worst thing they can do from their perspective is fire sale their inventory, only to find out they didn't have to.

So they are likely totally in "wait and see" mode right now.

And that presumes they are even competent or care. The 4090 may just be one of many things they carry in stock, that they don't give much mind share to, or they are unwilling to take the financial writeoff on it as it looks bad, and will instead just sit on it indefinitely. This happens a lot, even though the financial incentive should be that it is better to get something for it than nothing.

Human psychology is weird like that.
I only get 4080 Super ~+8% based on cores and clocks, non-DLSS. Normally I wouldn’t put much weight on a crude calc like that, but the ~+30% 4090 -> 5090 look right on the money according to NVIDIA’s charts. I think the 5080 is going to massively disappoint and end up 10-15% slower than the 4090, so I’m not expecting used 4090 prices to remain below $1,100-1,200 after the pre and post-launch instability. We’ll find out in a few weeks, but I think anyone expecting >4090 performance from this thing is not going to be a happy camper.
 
I like how people are saying $2500? No way I'm out. Now oh it's "only" $1999 I'm totally in?

WTF

That still way too expensive for a video card, when historically they have always been under $1000 for the top tier until just recently, now they 100% higher, and "inflation" hasn't made costs go up 100%, maybe 25% at most.

The 780 Ti was $699
The 980 Ti was $649
The 1080 Ti was $699
The 2080 Ti was $999
The 3090 was $1499 ( why such a massive price increase ? )
The 4090 was $1599
The 5090 is $2000 why not $1699?

So in around ten years video cards have TRIPLED in price. Other high-end products have not tripled whatsoever in that time, cars have gotten more expensive but certainly not triple the cost from 10 years ago, or OLED TV's have not tripled in price, or CPU's have not tripled in price. Or smartphones have not tripled in price. Only video cars have tripled.
The 2080 Ti was $1200
 
indeed.gif
 
Back
Top