24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

when I say tiny I mean tiny its about the size of a pixel....and you can only see it during extreme situations...I have to have something bright right above it and something dark underneath it and then I can find it...any other time its impossible to point out....

The display came in a box on a pallet...the box had one large white piece of foam covering the glass and then one small pink piece covering the back...that was it....but Bax Global is actually very gentle with packages...I have never seen such an immaculate box....Oh and it also came the day after they shipped it (they are only 2 and a half hours away which is probably why).

I didn't realize it was an A- unit. Given the premium you paid for a perfect screen, a return might be in order anyway.

(Although what is allowed for a B unit is a bit scary, particularly that part about possible screen burn in...)

I didn't realize it was an A- unit. Given the premium you paid for a perfect screen, a return might be in order anyway.

(Although what is allowed for a B unit is a bit scary, particularly that part about possible screen burn in...)
well I already filed a damage claim anyway this morning...they wanted pictures if I could but I have no camera at the moment (digital camera and large falls = not good bedfellows)...I responded letting them know I had no camera available and now I am waiting on a response again...

EDIT: well no response yet....hopefully I will hear something back when they open tomorrow...

Probably due to all the 1080P hype, I returned a 42" 1080P Panasonic plasma (1920x1080 res) and the Kuro destroys it in all categories with its 1024x768. The only downside to the lower res is that if you sit any closer than 4 feet you can sometimes pick up a slight screen door effect due to the bigger pixels but its a non issue for me. Ive never seen Bluray movies look so good especially compared to the Panasonic. The kuro still converts any signal even 1080P which is what I use on my PS3 and Xbox360.

I could care less about 1080p, but i would have though 720p would have been a must. Just goes to show that resolution is not the most import thing. But wouldn't it be better to set your ps3 and 360 res to 720p, so the games native res is not being scaled twice? Just a thought.

P.S. I sent you a PM about your Beyerdynamic headphones... reply, damnit! :D

Ok, my current crt (dell p1110) just died on me. The power light will blink green when everything is hooked up and the signal is going out. Tried different p.cs, imputs, wires and everything. So now I'm going to pick up one of these by the end of this month.

Accurate IT agreed to take it back...they scheduled pick up with fedex for Friday....but of course I call at 4PM FedEx says everything is in order and the driver will be there today to pick it up....I call at 8PM and am informed no pick up had been scheduled for today...

so hopefully I will be able to get it out today if fedex can keep its crap together long enough to do it...

Accurate IT agreed to take it back...they scheduled pick up with fedex for Friday....but of course I call at 4PM FedEx says everything is in order and the driver will be there today to pick it up....I call at 8PM and am informed no pick up had been scheduled for today...

so hopefully I will be able to get it out today if fedex can keep its crap together long enough to do it...

Were the problems really THAT grave to return it? Has me a bit worried considering I want to drop 700 on one of these monitors.

God damnit, I want OLED and FED...sick and tired of this LCD crud.

Were the problems really THAT grave to return it? Has me a bit worried considering I want to drop 700 on one of these monitors.

God damnit, I want OLED and FED...sick and tired of this LCD crud.

If you drop $700 on one of these, it better be damn near mint condition with a warranty

If you drop $700 on one of these, it better be damn near mint condition with a warranty

They did retail for 2,100-2,300 when they were in production. Plus, loker picked up the HP version for 500...I'm planning to nab the sony version, even though all that is different is the shell/brand name. I'm just hoping besides paying an extra 200 for the name, that they'll fine tune it to perfection.

But yea, I'm worried about loker's issues with monitor. From his posts it didn't sound extremely bad, but since he did return it, curious how bad it really was. They do come with a 1 year warranty, and accurateit looks to be very nice with their 30 day return policy.

I got the chance to pick up a W900 version of this monitor for 100 bucks. Is it an older precursor to the FW900? It has a Manufacture date of 2001.

No scratches or anything, but I'm running into a few issues that I was hoping you experts could help me out with.

1) At higher resolutions (larger than 1024x768, etc), I am getting a shaky/vibrating picture. I have tried using different A/C power cords with the same result.

2) When there is a lot of white on the screen I notice a hum, is this normal?

3) The difference between the focus across the screen is very vast. Text that is in focus in the center can be totally unreadable at the edges. I've tried adjusting the convergance controls but to no avail. Is this a case to pick up a WINDAS cable?

Thanks for your help in advance.

My Sony is dying. sniff sniff. I have had it for a year and for the price I paid it was worth it but it'll be gone soon. Is there anyone who knows of a replacement monitor that is NEW that can do what this one does or at least come close?

My Sony is dying. sniff sniff. I have had it for a year and for the price I paid it was worth it but it'll be gone soon. Is there anyone who knows of a replacement monitor that is NEW that can do what this one does or at least come close?

i feel your pain. It's been months and I still miss my FW-900.:(

Only a year? Ugh. Where did you get it?

I was hoping to pick one of these up and have it last a couple of years, at least. Spending $500 on this thing and having it die in a year isn't something I really want to do. :(

How many others here have had a FW900 die? How long did you have it for?

Only a year? Ugh. Where did you get it?

I was hoping to pick one of these up and have it last a couple of years, at least. Spending $500 on this thing and having it die in a year isn't something I really want to do. :(

How many others here have had a FW900 die? How long did you have it for?

Indeed..I'm really curious on the quality of these refurbed models from Accurateit. For those who have purchased them, have you noticed any fading? or has your monitor died off? If tose who have purchase from accurateit could mention how long they've had it and the condition it's in, I'd really be appreciative. Dumping 700 on a refurbed monitor only to have it die in around a year is very unsettling to hear. Heck, I'm still on a KDS xf-9b 19 inch crt, I've used it for 6 years (nearly 24/7 operation), It's blurry compared to how it was, colors have faded, but I bumped them up in my graphics card properties. Still works though, although not very pleasing =(.

I didn't order mine from accurateit, but I've had mine for about 2-3 years now and it's still going strong (picked up a used HP unit). I do have a slight issue where you see slight diagonal lines while warming up. It goes away after the monitor has warmed up, but that's about the only issue I've had with mine.

I bought mine from a member here about 18 months ago.....he had it about 6 months if I remember correctly...Mine is still going strong, and has a manufacture date of 2001.......

I leave it on 24/7.I doubt its been turned off more than 10 times in the 2 years I have had it....

Its gonna be a sad day for me when it dies, because I love this thing..
To date, I have not seen any monitor that looks as good in games as this one does.

And yeah, this thread is over 2 years old and still attracting attention..:)

Sorry for threadcrapping but I noticed in some of the picks you were using the 360 vga cable>male-to-male adapter> the monitor's vga cable. Well I recently bought a 360 with a used vga cable and was wondering where you got that adapter. Are you using it because of the vga permanently attached to the monitor? Thats what mine is. Thanks

I am looking at buying a 30" LCD so have been monitoring this forum and noticed this thread kept popping up. I was interested because I was curious why such an outdated monitor was so active in this forum. Additionally I own one of these that I bought new around 2002. I was really surprised to see 176 pages and I had to look and see what all this Huula Ba lou was about.

I started on the last pag and said ahhh haaa, now I see. And I thought it was just me that had problems with this monitor. I have tons of Sony monitors. I am a Dir of Data Eng for a Fortune 500 Company. So I buy 100's of Millions of dollars worth of HW a year, mainly Cisco, SUN, Juniper, etc. Lots of SONY monitors either branded SONY, SUN, DELL, etc. I LOVE Sony monitors. I've never had one go bad. I have my First 20" Sony I bought in 1995 and it's still going strong.

In 2002 I bought a Brand New 24" Sony FW900 for around $1800 from the nreds.net. This was the best price around, most places had it for well over $2000. I ran if for about a year and a half and it started having severe burn in, and looked soft with all the colors bleached out. This is the first Sony that has given me any issues. It is still working to this day, I onlly use it for a bench Monitor for testing.

The thing I wanted to point out here is that it is not a refurb issue. Mine has never been refurb'd and was purchased new when it was the premier monitor available. I've only read a few pages of this thread, I don't need to read anymore, I already know the punchline. This monitor series obviously has issues.

My advice, don't take a chance on it for any amount of money.

Les

I am looking at buying a 30" LCD so have been monitoring this forum and noticed this thread kept popping up. I was interested because I was curious why such an outdated monitor was so active in this forum. Additionally I own one of these that I bought new around 2002. I was really surprised to see 176 pages and I had to look and see what all this Huula Ba lou was about.

I started on the last pag and said ahhh haaa, now I see. And I thought it was just me that had problems with this monitor. I have tons of Sony monitors. I am a Dir of Data Eng for a Fortune 500 Company. So I buy 100's of Millions of dollars worth of HW a year, mainly Cisco, SUN, Juniper, etc. Lots of SONY monitors either branded SONY, SUN, DELL, etc. I LOVE Sony monitors. I've never had one go bad. I have my First 20" Sony I bought in 1995 and it's still going strong.

In 2002 I bought a Brand New 24" Sony FW900 for around $1800 from the nreds.net. This was the best price around, most places had it for well over $2000. I ran if for about a year and a half and it started having severe burn in, and looked soft with all the colors bleached out. This is the first Sony that has given me any issues. It is still working to this day, I onlly use it for a bench Monitor for testing.

The thing I wanted to point out here is that it is not a refurb issue. Mine has never been refurb'd and was purchased new when it was the premier monitor available. I've only read a few pages of this thread, I don't need to read anymore, I already know the punchline. This monitor series obviously has issues.

Les

Les, I think you missed the point of this thread...had you read the first 175 pages you would have seen hundreds of people are very happy with this monitor.....only a handful of people are having problems....

and I only have 88 pages.....:) User CP FTW.......

Les
Indeed. . . someone who skips to the last page of a novel and then draws conclusions about the story from there. :)

I'd say about 95% of this thread consists of people praising their monitor, or attempting to obtain one. Very little of it consists of people with real problems. And in most cases, those problems can be attributed to mis-described (by seller) used ones, and shipping damage.

We're all in this thread because we generally don't like LCDs because they don't come anywhere near the image quality of a CRT. And the Sony FW900 was the ultimate CRT. This thread is devoted to obtaining, tweaking, and preserving them. . . until a better display technology comes along.

Les, I think you missed the point of this thread...had you read the first 175 pages you would have seen hundreds of people are very happy with this monitor.....only a handful of people are having problems....

and I only have 88 pages.....:) User CP FTW.......

Hi,
What I read was about a lot of people buying the monitor refurb'd and worrying that theirs may do what mine and a number of others did. I thought my monitor was a fluke and was alone. There are lots of posts in the few pages I have read with people having the EXACT same problem I had. Mine wasn't refurb'd. Before my monitor screwed up, I absolutely loved it. If you see the same failure in approx the same time frame, that my friend is called a trend. When I saw people here having the EXACT same issue I had, it was an Epiphany for me. I'm not trying to wish any bad luck on anyone, just tying my experiences to the one's here. I'm reading these forums because I'm shopping for a 30" LCD monitor and want to find out if the one's I am looking at are having issues. If I were considering a SONY Refurb FW900 and read what I read here, I would steer clear like it was the plague. There are a lot of references to people who were initially happy, and then experienced the EXACT same problem I have. Except that I bought mine NEW. Maybe I'll sell mine to a salvager, so they can refurb it and someone can buy it, have the same problem, and post to this thread when it gets to 3000 pages. That sounds kinda fun...

I don't know what the problem is with them, but it looks like Bad CRT's to me. I've never had a Monitor get Burn in like this one either. It got it so fast it wasn';t funny.

It was Spectacular when it was new!

! 1/2 Years later it was virtually unuseable.

Les

Indeed. . . someone who skips to the last page of a novel and then draws conclusions about the story from there. :)

I'd say about 95% of this thread consists of people praising their monitor, or attempting to obtain one. Very little of it consists of people with real problems. And in most cases, those problems can be attributed to mis-described (by seller) used ones, and shipping damage.

We're all in this thread because we generally don't like LCDs because they don't come anywhere near the image quality of a CRT. And the Sony FW900 was the ultimate CRT. This thread is devoted to obtaining, tweaking, and preserving them. . . until a better display technology comes along.

Let me Clarify, I started at the beginning, read about 20 pages.

Then because the thread just kept on going, skipped to the end to see how many pages it ran, and saw 176. This really mystified me, so I started reading from the end about 20 pages in.

That's when I saw the postings from the folks that had the EXACT, EXACT, EXACT same problem I had. I knew that FANBOIZ would attack. Ohhh well. But if you data types see the EXACT same failure over and over, even a Savant should be able to recognize a trend.

Until I stumbled across this thread I thought my situation was unique, it is obvious it is far from UNique. Did I want this to happen to my Monitor, NO i did not. If your monitor is working fine, I wish I were you. Mine cost me about $1200 a year to operate. There's a number of folks on this thread hat had the same experience, just didn't cost them as much because they didn't buy NEW. I've purchased thousands of Sony monitors, no lie, thousands. I personally own probably 15 personally right now. I don't have an axe to grind with Sony. This model has issues and I would be remiss if I didn't point out a Trend in failures. Do with this info as you want, just don't discount it. A trend is a trend. Why am I callin g this a trend, because i read numerous posts with same unique failure in approx the same timeframe. The real reason I thought my post would be usable is this. I bought mine New and had the EXACT same issue as a number of these Refurbs that are being sent out 5 years later. That means to me that there is no real fix for the original issue. Get it!! The same failure is still happening almost 6 years later.

That is why I felt compelled to post. The monitor when it is within spec is Magnificent, no doubt.

Les

p.s. When I de-commisoned this monitor from my desktop, I replaced it with a 21" SUN Branded Sony Trinitron, and was a wee bit irritated.

There have been some issues about the reliability of the last Sony GDM class monitors. I have a 2001 GDM-FW900 (now my dad's) still going strong however. As are many others...

I know burn in is possible, which is why I use a screen saver. (And I actually did see this on a Trinitron at Kinko's.) However, CRTs are much better about this than they used to be, and yours is the first I've heard of it on a GDM-FW900.

As for the washed out bit, that is a known problem. Many of the pages here reference a fix to this using Sony's firmware configuration software. (First thing to try is "Image Restoration" of course.)

And why didn't you exchange your monitor for a return? 1.5 years was well within the 3 year warranty period...

Anyway, I think the attraction to this monitor is clear enough -- for what it is, it's the only game in town. And sadly, the GDM-FW900 is not outdated as much as I wish an even better successor had been released...

(And people know these are old monitors and are going in with their eyes open. And they're paying a fraction of what you and I paid anyway...)

Sorry for threadcrapping but I noticed in some of the picks you were using the 360 vga cable>male-to-male adapter> the monitor's vga cable. Well I recently bought a 360 with a used vga cable and was wondering where you got that adapter. Are you using it because of the vga permanently attached to the monitor? Thats what mine is. Thanks

bump

There have been some issues about the reliability of the last Sony GDM class monitors. I have a 2001 GDM-FW900 (now my dad's) still going strong however. As are many others...

I know burn in is possible, which is why I use a screen saver. (And I actually did see this on a Trinitron at Kinko's.) However, CRTs are much better about this than they used to be, and yours is the first I've heard of it on a GDM-FW900.

As for the washed out bit, that is a known problem. Many of the pages here reference a fix to this using Sony's firmware configuration software. (First thing to try is "Image Restoration" of course

I did restore to defaults, no change. I tried finding the firmware reference you are talking about, with over 3500 posts, I'm not convinced it's worth the effort involved. If I thought I could tweak it and make it workable, I would jump on it, however I am skeptical considering how screwed up it looks. If you know where this post is at, I would love to see it.

And why didn't you exchange your monitor for a return? 1.5 years was well within the 3 year warranty period...

Actually, I was busy with work, and Honestly had no idea that it had a 3 year warranty, figured I was screwed.

Anyway, I think the attraction to this monitor is clear enough -- for what it is, it's the only game in town. And sadly, the GDM-FW900 is not outdated as much as I wish an even better successor had been released...

I understand that

(And people know these are old monitors and are going in with their eyes open. And they're paying a fraction of what you and I paid anyway...)

This is really what I have a problem with. Let's put a little different spin on this that may not be so emotional here. A hypothetical situation.

There's a supply of Factory Refurb'd BMW 850's for an awesome price. This was in it's day, and still is today an awesome care. New Price was around $90K. So, there's this great deal on Refurb'd cars with a 1 year(12,000 mi) warranty for $20,000.

The only problem is that there was a "known Issue"(I'll use your terminology here) with the transmissions failing on them within 12,000-18,000 miles. These cars for sale have been refurb'd to factory specs, having been returned for defects. The cost of repairing the Failure prone ZF transmission is roughly the cost of the car $20,000.

You read on Internet Forums that the Refurb's have the same Failures that plagued the cars when they were originally sold, suggesting that there has been no progress in FIXING the "Known issue" in the last 6 years. The Refurbs go out with the same "Known issues" that the original cars had.

So, do you buy this car that when it works is world class and take a chance that you won't have a "Known Issue" that has persisted for 6 years, or do you say forget it, it just ain't worth it. Or do you get something else that may be less applicable, but ultimately has no "known issues".

Les

So, do you buy this car that when it works is world class and take a chance that you won't have a "Known Issue" that has persisted for 6 years, or do you say forget it, it just ain't worth it. Or do you get something else that may be less applicable, but ultimately has no "known issues".

If you do a search on Windas, details should come up regarding the configuration software. Hopefully that would be the fix...

More to the larger issue, I've never seen a monitor with no known issues. Following the discussions here and elsewhere, there's always something. And LCD has some fundamental issues I don't particularly care for regarding the picture quality...

That said, 30 inches is a lot more real estate. I can't say I haven't been tempted myself...

(Presently I have a GDM-F520 with less than two years of usage, so it would probably be hard to justify though...)

If you do a search on Windas, details should come up regarding the configuration software. Hopefully that would be the fix...

More to the larger issue, I've never seen a monitor with no known issues. Following the discussions here and elsewhere, there's always something. And LCD has some fundamental issues I don't particularly care for regarding the picture quality...

That said, 30 inches is a lot more real estate. I can't say I haven't been tempted myself...

(Presently I have a GDM-F520 with less than two years of usage, so it would probably be hard to justify though...)

Thanx for the WinDAS stuff. Very interesting.

Les

Les,

I wish you the best with your monitor. . . while your burn-in situation is unique and I've yet to see anyone else in this thread with it (especially after so brief a time), the colors washing out (due to over-brightness?) is indeed easily fixed via Windas.

Most of us in this thread area aware of that issue and those of us who suffer from it don't mind the relatively easy fix.

Having said that, I feel you are still exaggerating the breadth and scope of the "trend" in this thread. I've been here since the beginning, and my recollection is of much fewer people, though they make many posts.

And, honestly, I'm not sure we need to hear about your credentials and how many Sony monitors you've purchased at work with every post. I'm not sure it adds any credence to your opinion. The posts are here, and that's what the majority of us are basing our opinions of this monitor on. . . and you're the first one I can remember who dropped by and said: "This monitor is obviously a lemon! Stay away at any price!"

But your opinion is certainly noted. Though I don't think many (if any) here were attributing the over-brightness issue to refurbs and it's really no suprise that it happens to un-refurbed ones. The one of mine that is affected only had one previous owner and has never been refurbed.

Les,

I wish you the best with your monitor. . . while your burn-in situation is unique and I've yet to see anyone else in this thread with it (especially after so brief a time), the colors washing out (due to over-brightness?) is indeed easily fixed via Windas.

Most of us in this thread area aware of that issue and those of us who suffer from it don't mind the relatively easy fix.

Having said that, I feel you are still exaggerating the breadth and scope of the "trend" in this thread. I've been here since the beginning, and my recollection is of much fewer people, though they make many posts.

And, honestly, I'm not sure we need to hear about your credentials and how many Sony monitors you've purchased at work with every post. I'm not sure it adds any credence to your opinion. The posts are here, and that's what the majority of us are basing our opinions of this monitor on. . . and you're the first one I can remember who dropped by and said: "This monitor is obviously a lemon! Stay away at any price!"

But your opinion is certainly noted. Though I don't think many (if any) here were attributing the over-brightness issue to refurbs and it's really no suprise that it happens to un-refurbed ones. The one of mine that is affected only had one previous owner and has never been refurbed.

Hello,
Hmmm, you guys just don't get it. How many people who have bought this monitor have the capability to build a mock up cable for the Ecs access I just learned about. I looked over the Sony site earlier and if this problem is mentioned there, it is not easily found. I couldn't locate it and the Ecs cable mock-up DAS software fix. I goota sneaking suspicion it's not there. I had also done some Google searches for the problem and could not find it from my descriptions.
This still brings us back to "it's a known issue" and is easily fixed with some hardware and software hacking. Gimme a break here. Do I really have to address that? And you totally missed the point I was trying to make. People who are buying current Refurb's are seeing the same problem original owners had. And you come here with the same issue with yours??!! Let's say you were a "typical" end user who purchased this monitor new and were not technical enough to find these forums so that you could fix your "BAD" monitor. That Behemoth costs a lot of money to ship to a repair center two ways, and God knows what they would charge to fix it. That might sting a little after you spent 2 Grand on it.
You're lucky, in that you could fix yours. That doesn't excuse the fact that these monitors should not be doing this.
My point with telling you how many Monitors I had bought was to let you know that I've been around some Sony products, lots of them. I love them, I have no Grudge against them, with the exception of this monitor I thought my issue was Unique. It's not. You and I have the same problem with the same series of monitor. I also wanted to point out that because I have never had a failure with a Sony, that I really thought my issue was Unique. After reading here I discovered the "Known Issue". To say that there are known issues with all monitors is disingenuous, yeah sure there may be something strange here and there. But an issue that makes these Monitors unusable in 12-18 months is inexcusable. And if I got a Lemon, apparently so did you, ehhh?

And I didn't just drop by. I read the thread because I own one of these monitors. I had written it off years ago, but the good news is that by posting here I found out about the over brightness issue and the fact that some of my issues may be repairable. I maintain I shouldn't have to do this though.

Anyhow, thanx for the WinDas info. That will be something to kick around and see if I can stretch at least a little usable time out of the monitor.

Les

The over-brightness prob is a known issue that happens to pretty much ALL Trinitron monitors, not just the FW900, i have a 21" G520 that also suffers from it. Thankfully i managed to buy a Windas cable from someone so i didn't have to make it myself.

If you wanna read more about it heres a good link, they even talk about how to fix it by soldering a new resistor that can be bought at radio shack. So a Windas cable is not necessarily required.

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19549

Hello,
Hmmm, you guys just don't get it. How many people who have bought this monitor have the capability to build a mock up cable for the Ecs access I just learned about. I looked over the Sony site earlier and if this problem is mentioned there, it is not easily found. I couldn't locate it and the Ecs cable mock-up DAS software fix. I goota sneaking suspicion it's not there. I had also done some Google searches for the problem and could not find it from my descriptions.
This still brings us back to "it's a known issue" and is easily fixed with some hardware and software hacking. Gimme a break here. Do I really have to address that? And you totally missed the point I was trying to make. People who are buying current Refurb's are seeing the same problem original owners had. And you come here with the same issue with yours??!! Let's say you were a "typical" end user who purchased this monitor new and were not technical enough to find these forums so that you could fix your "BAD" monitor. That Behemoth costs a lot of money to ship to a repair center two ways, and God knows what they would charge to fix it. That might sting a little after you spent 2 Grand on it.
You're lucky, in that you could fix yours. That doesn't excuse the fact that these monitors should not be doing this.
My point with telling you how many Monitors I had bought was to let you know that I've been around some Sony products, lots of them. I love them, I have no Grudge against them, with the exception of this monitor I thought my issue was Unique. It's not. You and I have the same problem with the same series of monitor. I also wanted to point out that because I have never had a failure with a Sony, that I really thought my issue was Unique. After reading here I discovered the "Known Issue". To say that there are known issues with all monitors is disingenuous, yeah sure there may be something strange here and there. But an issue that makes these Monitors unusable in 12-18 months is inexcusable. And if I got a Lemon, apparently so did you, ehhh?

And I didn't just drop by. I read the thread because I own one of these monitors. I had written it off years ago, but the good news is that by posting here I found out about the over brightness issue and the fact that some of my issues may be repairable. I maintain I shouldn't have to do this though.

Anyhow, thanx for the WinDas info. That will be something to kick around and see if I can stretch at least a little usable time out of the monitor.

Les
I would like to single out the following from the above before addressing the rest more generally. . .
But an issue that makes these Monitors unusable in 12-18 months is inexcusable. And if I got a Lemon, apparently so did you, ehhh?
Uh, no. Most of our monitors are three(+) years old now, having seen heavy business use, and are just now beginning to manifest the over-brightness issue. So. . . your experience (burn-in and brightness issues rendering it "useless" after only 18 months) is far from the norm here. In fact, I can't recall anyone ever mentioning such a thing.

Anyways, We do indeed "get it." We understand what you're trying to say. Despite you stating that you've googled the crap out of it and come up empty, you seem very intent on convincing us that these monitors are very likely to end up like yours. We do indeed get that. But as others have pointed out, the overbrightness issue is not limited to just the FW900. And, quite frankly, yours was much more severe than I've ever seen if it got so bad that you couldn't adjust for it with the built-in menu after only 18 months. Further, your monitor has burn-in after only 18-months. Which is also very non-typical (indeed, unique) relative to the experience of those in this thread.

So. . . you've found information that is useful, and you've made your opinion about the value of these monitors clear. Can we move along now? Despite you saying that your experience matches "EXACT EXACT EXACT" to many, many folks here, I'm unable to find anyone else in this thread that had their monitors deteriorate so rapidly (especially considering yours was new rather than three years old as most of ours are). . . nor do I recall anyone with burn-in (that developed while they owned it).

Your experience isn't nearly typical. Though the over-brightness issue is known, your specific experience is far from the norm. Most don't notice it for quite some time and it is normally a few years before you "run out of room" in adjusting for it via the built-in controls and need to use Windas.

You can keep trying to convince everyone here that these monitors aren't worth any amount of money whatsoever. . . but being someone who owns two (three at one point) and who has read every post in this thread, I simply don't agree with your opinion or your characterization of the data found in this thread. No, I don't think you have an axe to grind with Sony. I just think you were unfortunate and got a real dud of a monitor. And this misfortune on your part is causing you to make certain assumptions and assertions that aren't necessarily valid.

Sorry to stray from the current discussion at hand, but I have been contemplating this monitor for about 3 months since I discovered its existence from the googles. I had been set on it from an ebay seller that was in my area, a 2003 HP. Sadly he took 2 and a half weeks to get back to me. Problem is last week I thought he was never going to reply and picked up a samsung 2232bw lcd from bestbuy. I still have 8 days left to return the lcd. The viewing angle restriction on the TN LCD is seriously annoying to me.

Should I return my LCD and grab this beast? The seller says I have the pick of the litter and there is a 30 day warranty (I think he has 8-9 of them). I asked earlier but didn't get a reply: If BNC on my monitor is less than satisfactory, will using a VGA or KVM switch result in a loss in quality (xbox 360 + PC)? I dont want to be switching cables in and out all the time.

Thanks alot

edit, I have seen this switch a few times but haven't seen any reviews: http://www.consoleshop.com/product.php?productid=17174 anyone have any experience with it?

These monitors are starting to get old... I really hope they come out with some decent technology to replace the current crop of crappy LCDs soon, because if my FW900 dies before anything better is out, I'm going to hang myself from a rope tied to the end of my monitor.

Hurin,
I guess I made it all up.

Les

Nobody accused you of making anything up.
I however feel that your claims are grossly exaggerated and not typical of the user experience here.....

I'm pretty sure thats what Hurin said also. .at least thats how I interpreted his post.

Nobody accused you of making anything up.
I however feel that your claims are grossly exaggerated and not typical of the user experience here.....

I'm pretty sure thats what Hurin said also. .at least thats how I interpreted his post.

Anyhow,
Thanx for the info, I have Installed the WinDAS SW and am looking for a cable. Hopefully this will resurrect my monitor from the Garage.

Les

Les, I've had mine for quite a while now and it's pretty much been the same since. Mine was manufactured in May 2002.

Either you were dumb enough to leave on the monitor without using a screensaver, or you just had very very bad luck.

See, it's not just this one that has burn-in issues. This 24" is perhaps the most heavily used monitor of all brands and models due to its world-class usability. I've seen Viewsonic CRT monitors go through far more severe burn-in's resulting in blurriness, discoloration and uneven faded/bright parts of the screen over the same period of time--it was amazing seeing those Viewsonics degenerate compared to mine!

Until FED's (Field Emission Displays) and OLED's come out as early as 2009, this one shall be personally proclaimed as the best-of-the-best-of-the-best PC monitor.

Well things just got wierder for me. I was messing w/ the pots right now since the focus on this thing drifts every few days and something wierd happened.

I got the monitor simultaneously in and out of focus.

Yep, you read that right. I use the windows classic XP theme, so it looks like 98SE, and my bookmarks folder in firefox is in perfect focus despite stretching across the entire screen. Regular text however, such as what I'm typing right now or what was behind said bookmarks folder (slashdot's main page) was still quite significantly out of focus. Aside from that if I look closely there's some pretty bad pixel jitter too. I've tried cancel moire, it does about as much as the goggles.

It's not a convergence issue, there are no color fringes and the convergence grids I've checked are all lined up right. I have no idea how I can have black on white or white on black text out of focus and black on grey text in nearly perfect focus, but I do. Anyone got any ideas? |MaguS| seems to have decided he'd rather ignore me and dissapear than keep to our agreement so for the time being I'm stuck with this thing.

[edit]

On a hunch I just tried dropping the contrast, that fixes almost everything except the pixel jitter (most noticeable in the OSD). I can't get above 70 on contrast and brightness needs to be below 35. So I can either have focus or visibility and color but not both.

What kind of desk does everyone have their FW900 sitting on? I'm gonna purchase one of these over the next couple of days, but I need a new desk. The current one I have will never support the weight.

Back