24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

Indeed. I would nab the one of the others with a different shell. But I guess I'm a sucker for the name/looks...lol..is 200 dollars worth that? Probably not, but it makes me happy ^_^.

Although it would be nice to nab 2 of those suckers, HP ones would obviously benefit the most due to the 500 dollar price tag. But I have a feeling my computer desk would snap from the weight...lol..Plus, I don't need two of'em.

So yea, probably just gonna nab the sony version for self satisfaction. If you could post when you get yours on the quality/build that'd be a great help. I'm anal when it comes to scratches on the screen just as you stated. Curious on the quality of these monitors as well.

Damnit, I want an FED or OLED monitor >_<....:(

According to AccurateIT a Refurb A- should get you one with an immaculate screen and some scratches and scuffs on the case (no cracks). So hopefully you are not anal retentive about some case damage...

If there is something wrong with the screen (I know I read it in this thread somewhere that one person who ordered from Accurate IT did...) they will pay return shipping as long as you do it within 30 days! Just make sure you keep the packaging or else you will be out some cash on that, I think it cost someone $50 just to package an FW900 for shipping.

So really there is almost no risk with Accurate IT because they are quite reliable according to the people that I have spoke with that have ordered from them in the past...they are actually a fairly large company (even launching their own line of AccurateIT branded monitors). I really had no reservations ordering from them given what I have read and heard from people about them...

Indeed, I've read into their refurbish policy as well. I don't mind plastic wear, as long as the screen is perfect I don't mind. BTW, did you happen to call them via phone and talk to them about the monitor and their process? or just an internet purchase?

Also, if you did call, were you able to request a 2003 manufactured model? or do they just send you whatever they have next in the refurbished line?

Indeed, I've read into their refurbish policy as well. I don't mind plastic wear, as long as the screen is perfect I don't mind. BTW, did you happen to call them via phone and talk to them about the monitor and their process? or just an internet purchase?

Also, if you did call, were you able to request a 2003 manufactured model? or do they just send you whatever they have next in the refurbished line?
I have called twice but only to find out if it would ship because their order status page is lacking....both times I went straight through to a secretary and then she handed me off to someone named Peter which is also the person I spoke with via e-mail prior to ordering...He was helpful although he delivered disappointing news on both calls...that my monitor would not ship til Friday and then that it would not ship until Monday...

I did not think to request any manufacture date or anything....

I have called twice but only to find out if it would ship because their order status page is lacking....both times I went straight through to a secretary and then she handed me off to someone named Peter which after I looked up on their site he seems to be the owner...He was helpful although he delivered disappointing news on both calls...that my monitor would not ship til Friday and then that it would not ship until Monday...

I did not think to request any manufacture date or anything....

Curious, did you happen to ask how long these monitors take to arrive? It is freight shipping...so curious on the delivery estimates. It's nice to see that you spoke to the owner. Kind of shows a sense of pride for working on these lovely monitors. I've also heard that they have a very large stock and specialize in them as well. Kind of sets your mind at ease.

The only thing I'm worried about shipping wise, is where to ship the sucker. I normally ship everything I buy via the net to our store location..First floor so shipping will be free. But bringing that 100 pound monster home is gonna be an issue. Also, at my home address, we have like 2 stairs up the front door. Also, the damn doorbell is broken...lol...Seems like I'm going to have a sore back bringing this sucker home...lol

Curious, did you happen to ask how long these monitors take to arrive? It is freight shipping...so curious on the delivery estimates. It's nice to see that you spoke to the owner. Kind of shows a sense of pride for working on these lovely monitors. I've also heard that they have a very large stock and specialize in them as well. Kind of sets your mind at ease.

The only thing I'm worried about shipping wise, is where to ship the sucker. I normally ship everything I buy via the net to our store location..First floor so shipping will be free. But bringing that 100 pound monster home is gonna be an issue. Also, at my home address, we have like 2 stairs up the front door. Also, the damn doorbell is broken...lol...Seems like I'm going to have a sore back bringing this sucker home...lol
dang you caught me before I edited....I actually changed my post because I was an idiot and read the wrong thing, he is not the owner LOL...

They use Bax Global for these monitors and I am guessing the economy option so you can check estimated shipment times at Bax's site....for me it is supposed to be overnight since they are literally only 2 and a half hours away from me (maybe getting warranty service wont be so bad since instead of having to ship it to them I can take the time out of my day to drive over....)

Sorry, a bit off-topic but am wondering if there are any possibilities of a new CRT montior that will be manufactured for the PC like this FW900?

I cant seem to remember reading somewhere that some company plans on making a super monitor that is a new version of CRT and is supposed to be far better than FW900. I'm sure some companies are aware of FW900's superiority over LCD screens in several apsects and the fact that some of us (designers, gamers, etc..) prefer those CRT's.

There are monitors in works better than a CRT and LCD. It's FED/OLED...

FED is a CRT in a flat panel form. It's even brighter with a very high contrast ratio. It's even capable of 240 HZ. It won't roll out into mass production for the computer display market till around 2009/2010. OLED is also another solution. Both fix the issues with current LCD standards..But keep the Flat panel form with quality surpassing CRT's. It will be nice ^_^..that's why a lot of people nab FW900's. CRT's are superior in many different ways to LCD/Plasma. Hopefully mine will last me till FED/OLED.

FED -

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/displays...ith-yet-another-display-technology-250626.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML2Cik7-7ic

OLED -

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/sonys-1-000-000-1-contrast-ratio-27-inch-oled-hdtv/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ufs9Wx0VXQ

For detailed info. you can check wikipedia with a search for FED or OLED.

According to AccurateIT a Refurb A- should get you one with an immaculate screen and some scratches and scuffs on the case (no cracks). So hopefully you are not anal retentive about some case damage...

If there is something wrong with the screen (I know I read it in this thread somewhere that one person who ordered from Accurate IT did...) they will pay return shipping as long as you do it within 30 days! Just make sure you keep the packaging or else you will be out some cash on that, I think it cost someone $50 just to package an FW900 for shipping.

So if I were to buy a refurb A or A- from AccurateIT it would have new monitor quality focus across the entire screen (including edges and corners) with no pot-tuning required?

From what I have seen so far no poster has had good results with a DVI to BNC cable, anyone had success using a DVI to BNC cable (and where to get it)? Would I be better off using the DVI to VGA adapter that came with my video card and getting a VGA to BNC?

Reason I am fretting over this is because I want to run my 360 through the VGA port.

Thanks

Only problem I have with mine is I get a bit of ghosting, like a little shadow outline from some things, It's barely noticeable but there. I noticed when I moved the monitor away from the desk and into the floor it all went away. So this leads that there is some type of electromagnetic interference messing a bit with my display. I tried a different cable but have not found the super good quality ones. fault could be wire, or the vga adapter since my 8800gtx is dual dvi. So options are look for a thicker cable, going BNC or my vga adapter is getting some interference, what do you guys think?
I've considered LCD but CRT outclasses it in many ways, don't want to give up the flexibility of going to any resolution. Only fault I find in this CRT is that it can only save 10 resolutions but not in a smart way, lets say 1600x1200 80mhz is one rez then it counts 1600x1200 85mhz is saved as another rez, so If a game loads under a different refresh rate the screen is not always centered or stretched than the 10 saved ones.

Well I just finished bracing my desk....got an 8ft 4x4 at Home Depot for $6 and then cut it up....

I have got a 20" crossbeam under where the monitor is going and then 2 24 1/2" columns on each end of that crossbeam...probably overkill but at $6 who can complain! it can hold me without even a little bowing and I weigh a lot more than the monitor....

Hmmm. I just realized something. Since I'm planning to wait for the 9800 series from nvidia in february....They will probably switch to display port. Hopefully they'll make some Display port to BNC cables.

But curious, in regards to DVI to BNC. What's a good high quality cable? I'm planning to use the VGA port for a 2nd overnight low power downloading rig. Bit worried about magnetic interference via BNC...But I'm going to place my tower and monitor on my desk...Gonna run the cable directly to the monitor without having the wire run along the others. I might have to get something though to protect it just to be safe....Here's an oddball question though. What if, I wrapped the wire in a few layers of aluminum foil?...lol...Would that reduce the electromagnetic interference? :D

The DisplayPort video signal is not compatible with DVI or HDMI but from my understanding the spec allows the port to pass along a video signal compatible with DVI-D and HDMI so connecting to a DVI-D display or HDMI display should just be a small adapter....I do not think it works the same way with VGA though...A converter will probably be required to go from DisplayPort to VGA...much like it is required now for component to VGA.

It see no reason why these boxes wont come when graphics cards start supporting DisplayPort.

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess when Nvidia does jump to display port they will make the jump much the same way the move to DVI was done...include both on the cards until there is a sufficient number of DisplayPort users to support killing the DVI port completely.

EDIT: I guess there might be a third option....if Nvidia and ATI create their own way of sending out VGA over the DisplayPort and then include an adapter with the card or at least have one available for sale...

If the BNC cables give less than normal results, I think I'm going to get a KVM or VGA Switch. If I get a powered one will I lose any quality?

There are monitors in works better than a CRT and LCD. It's FED/OLED...

FED is a CRT in a flat panel form. It's even brighter with a very high contrast ratio. It's even capable of 240 HZ. It won't roll out into mass production for the computer display market till around 2009/2010. OLED is also another solution. Both fix the issues with current LCD standards..But keep the Flat panel form with quality surpassing CRT's. It will be nice ^_^..that's why a lot of people nab FW900's. CRT's are superior in many different ways to LCD/Plasma. Hopefully mine will last me till FED/OLED.

FED -

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/displays...ith-yet-another-display-technology-250626.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML2Cik7-7ic

OLED -

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/sonys-1-000-000-1-contrast-ratio-27-inch-oled-hdtv/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ufs9Wx0VXQ

For detailed info. you can check wikipedia with a search for FED or OLED.

Awesome, man! Quote from the first link you provided: "There's no word on prices yet, but apparently they are going to be cheaper to make than LCDs because it uses fewer components."

240Hz, sweet!!! One of the things I hate about LCD's the most is that it's generally limited at 60Hz at all higher resolutions. Also, Stereo 3D gaming is feasible with active refresh of CRT techonology (flicker) rather than "passive" refresh of LCD's

Awesome, man! Quote from the first link you provided: "There's no word on prices yet, but apparently they are going to be cheaper to make than LCDs because it uses fewer components."

240Hz, sweet!!! One of the things I hate about LCD's the most is that it's generally limited at 60Hz at all higher resolutions. Also, Stereo 3D gaming is feasible with active refresh of CRT techonology (flicker) rater than "passive" refresh of LCD's

Indeed. It's going to be a bright future. They do use less parts than a traditional LCD. But the cost factor for production hasn't been fully figured out yet. they both have hurdles to jump...With OLED being lifetime. While FED requires a vacuum sealed set....It could end up costing more or less...ATM since mass production is still out of reach due to devlopment...Hard to say. But the future does look bright...After all, less parts = less cost. But we'll have to see if they can pull it off.

It's going to be really nice when they do surface though. They both have extreme benefits. I'm not sure how the OLED manufacturing process would be...But it shouldn't be plagued by dead pixels...But that's yet to be seen. With FED...Dead pixels will be pretty much non existent off the manufacturing line.

Well, I have read every single page of this thread and I just have one thing to say.......Reading this has drove me mad and I am beyond confused! :D

Actually, I think I have got a good grasp on the monitor and whats involved in calibrating all the different options...this thread not only talked me into getting the monitor but it also answered a lot of questions...

Well it just arrived and man you guys had me psyched up....I thought I was going to break my back moving it but pffft....the guy on the truck just picked it up and handed it off to me and I got it in....

AccurateIT seems to be packing these different now...it came in a box with 2 small pieces of foam on a pallet....

I might be buying this monitor soon but I'm wondering if this would be a significant improvement over my current 21inch P1110. If anyone has ever owned both, I'm just wondering which one would be better.

I might be buying this monitor soon but I'm wondering if this would be a significant improvement over my current 21inch P1110. If anyone has ever owned both, I'm just wondering which one would be better.
I had a 22" Mitsubishi CRT (model 2020u). A very high-end CRT. I'd say the image quality of my FW900 is as good. . . and. . . well. . . it's widescreen. You can't beat that.

:)

There is some nice gashes in the bezel but the screen is in perfect condition....of course thats why I paid for a Refurb A- and not an A...some case damage was to be expected....

After a half an hour convergence seems to still be off in a few spots but I am going to let it warm up for a half an hour more just to make sure its fully up and running before I start any fine tuning.

Besides the convergence the focus and everything else seems to have been calibrated pretty well by them. (EDIT: convergence was easily fixed...blue is still slightly out of shift in one corner but I think its as good as I am going to get until I shell out for a WinDAS cable...)

One other thing....the top of the image seems to bow....it his higher in the middle of the screen than it is on the two edges...and any windows I get close to the top seem to bend as well. I do not see any options in the geometry section that would allow me to fix this....

So what gives the best possibly quality? What different ones have you tried and saw improvement with?

dvi to bnc
vga to bnc
vga to vga
dvi to vga

but I am going to let it warm up for a half an hour more just to make sure its fully up and running

I'd let it warm up a couple of hours before doing adjustments...

Maybe more...it seems like an hour isn't really enough anyway with those monitors....

So what gives the best possibly quality? What different ones have you tried and saw improvement with?

dvi to bnc
vga to bnc
vga to vga
dvi to vga

BNC to BNC!

I actually ended up using a very high end VGA cable from before (from BetterCables) plus an adapter. I also tried dvi to bnc, and dvi to vga, but got a little ghosting. Hopefully some here have had better luck though...

I had a 22" Mitsubishi CRT (model 2020u). A very high-end CRT. I'd say the image quality of my FW900 is as good. . . and. . . well. . . it's widescreen. You can't beat that.

:)

So thats a yes. If so, I would love to see DVDs on an FW900.

So thats a yes. If so, I would love to see DVDs on an FW900.
Well, HD-DVD's look absolutely fantastic...

well I went over the screen and did not see any defects but now using it I did spot one very tiny tiny nick in the anti-glare layer....it is about the size of a pixel on an LCD and only noticeable when running black backgrounds...return shipping may be free within 30 days but I don't think that one tiny tiny dot is worth the hassle...

I am still kind of wondering why the top of the screen curves though...so if anyone has an idea I would appreciate it...

I am not sure if it is the same as my gdm-f520, but the 520 has an adjustment called pin-cushening that allowes you to adjust that. It is caused by the fact that the glass is curved on the inside and flat on the outside. If it is more than a slight curve than it is something else.

BTW if any of you guys notice a thin dark horazontal line about a third of the way down the screen. It is to be expected and was there from day one. It is a characteristic of the Trinitron tube.

I never let go of my Sony, casue it is the only way it can tell what a picture really looks like.

Dave

I am not sure if it is the same as my gdm-f520, but the 520 has an adjustment called pin-cushening that allowes you to adjust that. It is caused by the fact that the glass is curved on the inside and flat on the outside. If it is more than a slight curve than it is something else.

BTW if any of you guys notice a thin dark horazontal line about a third of the way down the screen. It is to be expected and was there from day one. It is a characteristic of the Trinitron tube.

I never let go of my Sony, casue it is the only way it can tell what a picture really looks like.

Dave
It is only about a millimeter maybe 2....but nope no pin cushion setting that I can see...I wonder if there might be something in WinDAS for this...

Hey all good to see this thread still going, Im not sure why the sticky was removed. My FW900 is still going strong here.

I dont wanna pollute this thread with to much non-crt talk but I bought a new HDTV last week and just had to report that it actually has CRT quality black levels :eek: I don't know how but Pioneer went back to the drawing board and came out with a Plasma tv with amazing black levels and shadow details, Ive never seen video games and movies look so good.

It was a bit expensive but if you're in the market for a new TV check out the Kuro line from Pioneer, I bought the Kuro 4280HD and couldn't be happier.

More info here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/kuro/demo/full/0,,2076_310069651,00.html

a 'bit' expensive?? :eek:

if anyone knows of a solution for the curve let me know because if I don't figure this out I am thinking about calling them up and trying to exchange...

I mean its not a huge curve but it is enough that my eye picks up on it...

if anyone knows of a solution for the curve let me know because if I don't figure this out I am thinking about calling them up and trying to exchange...

Assuming it's the same as my F520, there is a horizontal trapezoid (and I think a horizontal pin cushion) control inside the case. (In the form of two little variable resistors, which can be adjusted with a very small screw driver.)

You'd need the service manual to locate the precise location. And then I'd get a trained CRT service person to do it. (Voltages within CRT cases are so high they can be lethal. And just unplugging it won't help, because of the capacitors, from what I understand.)

Using that trapezoid control, the top and bottom edges can hopefully be balanced off each other to give an overall pleasing result. (It probably won't be perfect though. Geometry is one place where flat panels certainly win.)

Oh...and after the H. TRAP is adjusted, the convergence will have to be re-adjusted...

Hey all good to see this thread still going, Im not sure why the sticky was removed. My FW900 is still going strong here.

I dont wanna pollute this thread with to much non-crt talk but I bought a new HDTV last week and just had to report that it actually has CRT quality black levels :eek: I don't know how but Pioneer went back to the drawing board and came out with a Plasma tv with amazing black levels and shadow details, Ive never seen video games and movies look so good.

It was a bit expensive but if you're in the market for a new TV check out the Kuro line from Pioneer, I bought the Kuro 4280HD and couldn't be happier.

More info here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/kuro/demo/full/0,,2076_310069651,00.html

Those Kuro panels certainly look like the hot ticket today. Trying to talk my parents into getting one. (Though I actually went with a big brute of a rear projector for TV, which I kind of got a clearance deal on....) Also the new Samsung LED lit LCD's are worth checking out. (Not sure I like those as much as the Kuros though.)

My original FW900 went to my folks, when I managed to get a new/overstock F520 off of eBay a couple of years back. (That FW900 is really a bit long in the tooth now, but apparently it's still working great...)

If you are talking about a curve in the very upper right-hand corner where it all of a sudden just sorta juts out to the right at the edge. . . that's normal. I've had three FW900s and I've seen this on every single one. It can be minimized via the controls, but not totally eliminated.

At least, it was "normal" for the three I've had, and it's mentioned elsewhere by others in this thread.

I don't ever even notice it anymore. And I'm pretty picky. Then again, i use a black background so it melds into the edge of the screen.

If you are talking about a curve in the very upper right-hand corner where it all of a sudden just sorta juts out to the right at the edge. . . that's normal. I've had three FW900s and I've seen this on every single one. It can be minimized via the controls, but not totally eliminated.

At least, it was "normal" for the three I've had, and it's mentioned elsewhere by others in this thread.

I don't ever even notice it anymore. And I'm pretty picky. Then again, i use a black background so it melds into the edge of the screen.
it is on both the left and right sides if you look at the top of the screen in the middle its higher and then slopes down to both corners....it causes things to bend upward slightly when they are near the top of the screen....

Assuming it's the same as my F520, there is a horizontal trapezoid (and I think a horizontal pin cushion) control inside the case. (In the form of two little variable resistors, which can be adjusted with a very small screw driver.)

You'd need the service manual to locate the precise location. And then I'd get a trained CRT service person to do it. (Voltages within CRT cases are so high they can be lethal. And just unplugging it won't help, because of the capacitors, from what I understand.)

Using that trapezoid control, the top and bottom edges can hopefully be balanced off each other to give an overall pleasing result. (It probably won't be perfect though. Geometry is one place where flat panels certainly win.)

Oh...and after the H. TRAP is adjusted, the convergence will have to be re-adjusted...
I don't think that would do it given that it is happening equally on both edges....I was browsing the service manual and it does look like there is another variable resistor that looks like it would do it it is called XBV....it has no description but it does have a diagram that shows what it does...

xbvvc2.png

I feel comfortable working inside displays....you just follow one rule if you don't know what it is don't touch it :p

Anyway given the fact I know what it is now and that I know if it pisses me off enough I will be able to fix it on my own I wont bother with sending it back....besides if the monitor ever breaks and I send it in for repair I can just ask AccurateIT to adjust it then...

EDIT: meh I dunno....maybe I will just go ahead and send it back now....maybe I will get a different one without a chip in the anti-glare layer....

You're right.

But looks like the adjacent horizontal pin cushion control maybe...

Very nice, the only problem i have with those HDTV is the very LOW native resolution:

High-Definition Resolution - 1024 x 768

loker, despite the issues with your monitor, how was your experience with AccurateIT? How well did they package the monitor, and how long did it take to get to you?

I've been considering buying a FW900 from them, but I'm really worried about a monitor this heavy getting here in one pieice... especially in the middle of winter.

I'm disappointed to hear your A- has a knick on the screen. Did you buy a Sony or HP branded one? Personally, I'd probably call them up to complain about it and see if you can get some money back or something.

Very nice, the only problem i have with those HDTV is the very LOW native resolution:

High-Definition Resolution - 1024 x 768

Probably due to all the 1080P hype, I returned a 42" 1080P Panasonic plasma (1920x1080 res) and the Kuro destroys it in all categories with its 1024x768. The only downside to the lower res is that if you sit any closer than 4 feet you can sometimes pick up a slight screen door effect due to the bigger pixels but its a non issue for me. Ive never seen Bluray movies look so good especially compared to the Panasonic. The kuro still converts any signal even 1080P which is what I use on my PS3 and Xbox360.

loker, despite the issues with your monitor, how was your experience with AccurateIT? How well did they package the monitor, and how long did it take to get to you?

I've been considering buying a FW900 from them, but I'm really worried about a monitor this heavy getting here in one pieice... especially in the middle of winter.

I'm disappointed to hear your A- has a knick on the screen. Did you buy a Sony or HP branded one? Personally, I'd probably call them up to complain about it and see if you can get some money back or something.
when I say tiny I mean tiny its about the size of a pixel....and you can only see it during extreme situations...I have to have something bright right above it and something dark underneath it and then I can find it...any other time its impossible to point out....

The display came in a box on a pallet...the box had one large white piece of foam covering the glass and then one small pink piece covering the back...that was it....but Bax Global is actually very gentle with packages...I have never seen such an immaculate box....Oh and it also came the day after they shipped it (they are only 2 and a half hours away which is probably why).

Back