24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

I didn't know they made CRT's this big, nice screen. Thing probably weighs 100 pounds.

It weighs in around the 98 pound mark.

Regarding this Windas discussion, I still have not purchased my fw900 yet from accurateit since I'm waiting for my feb/march pc build. But I want to get a basic understanding of what it is. I understand that windas allows you to edit the firmware (am I right? or?) of your fw900, but what is this cable?

Could someone explain what this process is for the windas software and the cable? Does it require opening up the monitor and making contact points with certain components? Kinda confused on what this really is.

Well things just got wierder for me. I was messing w/ the pots right now since the focus on this thing drifts every few days and something wierd happened.

I got the monitor simultaneously in and out of focus.

Yep, you read that right. I use the windows classic XP theme, so it looks like 98SE, and my bookmarks folder in firefox is in perfect focus despite stretching across the entire screen. Regular text however, such as what I'm typing right now or what was behind said bookmarks folder (slashdot's main page) was still quite significantly out of focus. Aside from that if I look closely there's some pretty bad pixel jitter too. I've tried cancel moire, it does about as much as the goggles.

It's not a convergence issue, there are no color fringes and the convergence grids I've checked are all lined up right. I have no idea how I can have black on white or white on black text out of focus and black on grey text in nearly perfect focus, but I do. Anyone got any ideas? |MaguS| seems to have decided he'd rather ignore me and dissapear than keep to our agreement so for the time being I'm stuck with this thing.

[edit]

On a hunch I just tried dropping the contrast, that fixes almost everything except the pixel jitter (most noticeable in the OSD). I can't get above 70 on contrast and brightness needs to be below 35. So I can either have focus or visibility and color but not both.

Yeah, I got the same thing when pushing contrast wayyyyy too high. Things go out of focus. The pixel jitter is when the refresh rate is too close to the maximum, so turn down the refresh rate (for example, if I use 2048x1280 @ 90 Hz, I can notice some pixel jitter in games and slight streaming lines on the sides. Turning it down to 85 Hz gets rid of the jitter and streaming lines in particular but there is still a little jitter on the OSD display which is not noticeable in any other applications anyway. The same goes for 1920x1200 @95 Hz--- I rather turn it down to 90 Hz. Hope this helps!!! :cool:

100 isn't too high, that's normal. I run ALL my monitors at 100 contrast. Also i'm at 1920x1200 @85hz, not 90.

Though I had run 100 percent contrast on other monitors, my FW900 did not work well at that setting. Used to run it at 80 and 20, contrast and brightness, or something like that...

Otherwise black wasn't very black...

(And with contrast you are effectively defocusing the beam, which at some point is a problem...)

100 isn't too high, that's normal. I run ALL my monitors at 100 contrast. Also i'm at 1920x1200 @85hz, not 90.

thats the way it should be. i dont see why anyone would push refresh rates past the recommended settings, they will only burn out their monitor faster:confused:

Well.. using 100 Contrast worked fine with any Shadow mask based monitors that ive used but a Trinitron at 100 is overkill IMO.. You're also asking for an out of focus picture with it set that high as well as wearing out the tube faster. I run mine at 79 contrast when browsing etc. and for movies or gaming ill turn it up to 90 - 92.

Well I ended up with a refund minus initial shipping costs...I don't know if I could recommend Accurate IT....I know I wont be ordering through them again...

All was going well when I informed them I had some issues they said they would bring it back which they did only fedex had managed to absolutely mangle it within the 2 and a half hour distance....Accurate IT accused me of substandard packing which took me by surprise since I followed their direction and re-used ALL their shipping supplies...I called them on it and he basically called me a liar and said that there is no way they would send out a monitor with that kind of packaging and when I tried to argue it more he said I could take a refund minus shipping costs and that if I had not taken it by the end of the day I would lose the initial shipping costs plus return shipping costs plus a 15% restocking fee...

if your refurb A- is perfect then you will probably be happy with Accurate IT but if you have issues good luck....

Hmm.. beats me--perphaps your monitor is a little faulty and could benefit from WinDAS tweaking?

I used WinDAS to boost my constrast as much as possible along with setting all the Gains to 100 and

R Bias to 75
G Bias to 100
B Bias to 90

so the contrast is already far higher than default settings. If I turn it over 60, things start to get a little blurry. At 70-80, the blurriness is noticeable in games but it's extremely bright and vibrant.. at 90-100, it loses far too much focus to the point where text becomes too blurry and almost unreadable.

When reading the 'net, I use 50 brightness and 50 contrast... (yep, perfect round middle numbers, I know!). For gaming, I usually use 70-80 contrast depending upon the how much I prefer either sheer brightness or image quality). The brightness is adjusted greatly depending upon which game is being played, if it looks better with darker greys or with increased "gamma" so I can see better in the dark.

The words are really confusing.. the CRT monitor's brightness level really acts like a software's gamma scale (turning up the brightness only makes things more washed-out), while the monitor's contrast really acts like brightness (definition-wise) in greatly increasing the luminosity scale of all colors except for the darker shades.

Why does everyone suggest windas? Last I checked it was good for adjusting convergence, which happens to be something entirely different from FOCUS.

I'm going to pick one up tomorrow locally.. The guy has a few to look threw. Is there anything to look out for besides scratches on the sreen? Something thats not fixable?

Why does everyone suggest windas? Last I checked it was good for adjusting convergence, which happens to be something entirely different from FOCUS.

Sorry, cannot help you--I never messed with the POTS. Did adjusting the POTS allow you to get your convergence grids aligned perfectly (say, in Nokia Monitor Test)? Mine are not aligned perfectly and I wouldnt mind trying to fix that. All I did with WinDAS was extend the contrast range so that it allowed for up to 50% greater contrast.

Hi, first post here. I was looking to buy a new lcd monitor but some guys I know recommended that I get the Sony GDM-FW900 instead. But I have some questions first before I dive in and spend 200 bucks on the thing.

1) I'll be using this monitor to watch movies, anime, and play my xbox 360. Will this monitor be good for that?
2) What advantages does this monitor have over lcds?
3) Why is it 24" but only 22" are viewable?
4) I'm going to be buying this monitor off some guy so what should I look for beforehand to determine whether or not it is in good condition?
5) Personal opinions here: is this monitor which is used really that much more worth getting over a brand new lcd monitor?

Hello,
I just got a cable to use with Windas. It is a white 6 pin connector that I rewired for the proper pinout.

Where is the port on the FW900?

Will it mate up to the linear pinout of the connector I have now?

Thanx!

Les

Trying to reclaim my FW900 from the Dead Zone!

Sorry, I probably don't have much technique to offer. But as you know, CRTs are susceptible to their magnetic environment. What you're trying to do with the magnet is to tweak the monitor's environment.

I had a monitor a while back, which didn't like the corner it was in. And this showed up as a discoloration on the bottom (e.g., a reddish patch against a blue background), which could have been fixed with a landing control, except there is no landing control for the center of the bottom edge. However, I was able to fix it with a weak refrigerator style magnet positioned in front of the monitor.

I started by seeing how much the landing controls could clean up the discoloration. Then I added the magnet and readjusted the controls. And that took care of it.

I just re-read your post, and I think maybe you are talking about the center of the monitor having a discoloration? I don't have experience with that, but it seems like there must be some main control for that.

If any CRT techs are reading this, maybe they can chime in...

(Also you can still try or re-try varying the position of the monitor, the magnet, and such, and seeing if any of that helps...)

A stronger degauss coil than the built in degausser might help, but I don't know...

(Maybe if it was a degaussing issue, repeated applications of the built in unit would have already resolved things? Again though, I can't really say...)

The First 36 Inch TV I bought was in '86 or '87. It was a sharp and had toggle switches on it to tell it how it's CRT was was oriented to magnetic north to fix the same issue you are referring to. There were switches for N S E W as well as NW NS, etc. The explanation in the manual stated that the earth'e magnetic field flux lines affected the tube and this was there to compensate. Sort of like what you are doing here.

Les

Sorry, cannot help you--I never messed with the POTS. Did adjusting the POTS allow you to get your convergence grids aligned perfectly (say, in Nokia Monitor Test)? Mine are not aligned perfectly and I wouldnt mind trying to fix that. All I did with WinDAS was extend the contrast range so that it allowed for up to 50% greater contrast.

Convergence is what happens when the Red, Blue, and Green "layers" of your image don't line up and you get colored shadows on the top, bottom, or sides of things. Except for the bottom right corner (which is what windas CAN fix with dynamic convergence) I have perfect convergence. The problem is that unless I make the monitor unreasonably dim the image, though having perfect convergence, is out of focus.

Normally I'd settle for "good enough" at some point and try compensating for the loss of brightness (from the lowered contrast setting) with nvidia's digital vibrance or something but since I need to readjust the pots every few days... that's why I'm so frustrated.

Hello,
I've hooked this monitor up to my Vista 64 box after cleaning up the G2 setting in WinDAS. Anybody have any driver solutions for Vista 64?

Les

Hello,
I've hooked this monitor up to my Vista 64 box after cleaning up the G2 setting in WinDAS. Anybody have any driver solutions for Vista 64?

Les

Yeah i just installed my new HP monitor up and i'm using Vista 64.

Get into device manager.. Go control panel/system/Device manager on the left side.

Now double click on the monitor. Select update driver. Select "let me choose what driver to use" or something like that. Uncheck "show supported hardware"

Now scroll through the manufacters list and choose Sony. Then pick the model number GDM-FW900.

This works with my HP version..

:) Just got home with the MASSIVE and i mean MASSIVE monitor! Yeah i've read about how big it was and even seen pictures but my jaw dropped straight to the floor when i seen the thing runing on the guys carpet when i went to pick this baby up!

Ofcourse he mentioned a few scratches on the screen. Short 1/4" to 1/2" scratches.. Said something about some blue wavy horizontal lines going accross the screen when first powering it up.. but they go away after a few mins.

He knocked off $100 because of the scratches.. So i paid $100 for it and i'm happy.

At first the screen looked all washed out.. reddish tint and all. But after waiting for it to warm up and using the image restoration function, that baby came to life and blew me away! Awesome picture! The text is clear and sharp thank god. The case is damn near perfect and clean!

hehe god i cant wait to totally adjust this monitor with the proper software "Whatever that is"

Thanks to everyone for this thread!

I always wished there was a widesreen CRT monitor out there.. I ended up buying my first LCD screen. A Sceptre 22". Last years model. The damn DVI went ot after onloy a month. Blurry text in VGA mode.. Was looking for something new for christmas and god am i happy i seen this thread!

P.S. Damn what a difference with input lag from this and the LCD screen.. First thing i noticed and wow have i forgot whats its like gaming on a CRT! Never go back! Gota buy another one of these screens just encase.

Oh wait forgot.. Lets just say, if i wanted to remove the anti-glare coating so i can get ride of those tiny scratches.. how do i do it? Has anyone ever done this to a CRT screen? Razer blade or some special cleaner?

Doubt anyone would risk it.

Hi, I'm going to buy this monitor off somebody and he's going to bring it to my house so I can test it out before I pay him. What should I be looking for to make sure it is in good condition? Scratches? Odd colors? Blurry text? Etc?

Hi, I'm going to buy this monitor off somebody and he's going to bring it to my house so I can test it out before I pay him. What should I be looking for to make sure it is in good condition? Scratches? Odd colors? Blurry text? Etc?

Excessive brightness. (Though that can be fixed with a bit of effort...i.e., Windas, cable...)

Might want to locate the Nokia test pattern app and run through that on it...

Scratches and such on the screen, working controls, etc...

So I ordered a HP version from AccurateIT and it was supposed to be delivered by BAX Global yesterday. According to their tracking it was out for delivery. I waited all morning expecting it to arrive, but it never did. I had to leave for work (swing shift) at 2:30 p.m. (I work at 3). I'm guessing they tried to deliver it. Of course, no one was home, so I assume they took it back to their warehouse. It now says "Exception Scan" on their tracking, and I have to call them to find out what that all means.

Hopefully I can just request they deliver it earlier tomorrow, before 2 p.m. Though I'm wondering if I'll have to pay for shipping now... I'd imagine I wouldn't have to, it was supposed to be free shipping, but who knows. If they tell me to pick it up at their warehouse I'm not sure when I'll get it. I do have a truck, but the back end is full of snow. I don't really have any other way to get it to my place, and it'll probably be that way for several weeks...

well you're not really going to know how good it is until it warms up. a cold crt will display blurry text and a low contrast background. when i boot up my crt, the initial XP boot screen is green:D but in a a minute it starts getting greyer and darker, then after warmup sets into a deep black.

i would let it warm up as long as possible (usually 30 mins) before making a decision

If they tell me to pick it up at their warehouse I'm not sure when I'll get it. I do have a truck, but the back end is full of snow. I don't really have any other way to get it to my place, and it'll probably be that way for several weeks...

Why not shovel the snow out?

Get the nokia monitor test on a USB key and run that after the thing's warmed up for ~15-20mins. GO through the focus and readability tests at 1920x1200 with contrast set to at least 90 and brightness to at least 30. See how high those can go before text starts getting out of focus and hard to read and make sure that brightly colored text and small text is also in focus.

Make sure to run the image restoration function first! In the menu under color, at the bottom your see a message that says if the monitor is warmed up. If not you'll have to wait till it says its warm and image restoration is ready. Run that and it was basicly make the picture a million times better looking. Then after that adjust the contrast and brightness per the above instructions and run those tests.

Though brightness set at 10-20 and contrast at 90-95 looks good on mine.. Though i have not gone threw and adjusted anything else but the color temp, and thats at 9600K.

Oh wait forgot.. Lets just say, if i wanted to remove the anti-glare coating so i can get ride of those tiny scratches.. how do i do it? Has anyone ever done this to a CRT screen? Razer blade or some special cleaner?

Doubt anyone would risk it.

your going to need screwdrivers, soft cloth towels, glue remover, something like a credit card/metro card, and a prestine* razer.

use this thread as a guide, and PAY ATTENTION TO THAT PICTURE!! YOU CAN KILL YOURSELF!!!

Wedge the credit card/metrocard in one of the corners anti glare coating flap overlap. You will know what I mean after you get the panels off. After you get it starting to peel off, GO EXTREMELY SLOW!! I CANNOT STRESS THIS!! The faster you go, the more glue will be left for you to spend 2 hours rubbing off!!!! If the corner you started from is giving you glue, go restart from another corner. This will remove ANY and ALL scratched you have, unless someone slashed it with a razer blade. Your colors/whites/blacks will all be better. Be sure to turn the brightness down, it will be A LOT BRIGHTER! Make sure you only play in a dark room. It is VERY reflective.

Convergence is what happens when the Red, Blue, and Green "layers" of your image don't line up and you get colored shadows on the top, bottom, or sides of things. Except for the bottom right corner (which is what windas CAN fix with dynamic convergence) I have perfect convergence. The problem is that unless I make the monitor unreasonably dim the image, though having perfect convergence, is out of focus.

Normally I'd settle for "good enough" at some point and try compensating for the loss of brightness (from the lowered contrast setting) with nvidia's digital vibrance or something but since I need to readjust the pots every few days... that's why I'm so frustrated.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about When I fire up Nokia Monitor Test and check convergence with 3 different colors, they are mis-aligned. It's also worse on the bottom right corner. How did you get perfect convergence? Was it already that way when you first bought it?

Also, I guess I missed the part explaining how WinDAS could fix it with dynamic convergence.. anybody care to explain or post a link to a post that explains it? Thanks

Actually when I first bought it the thing was so out of focus you couldn't read anything not dead center and even that was fuzzy, geometry was so bad I had to hit the ASC button just to find someplace to start with, and convergence was almost completely seperated.

Except for the bottom right corner's misconvergence and the focus I was able to fix everything with the OSD controls. The Nokia program really is good for that sort of thing, I recommend starting with the white grid and then going to the multicolored grid for really fine tuning. It helps if your vision is good enough to discern individual phosphor stripes.

Hey shadowex3, I think I found the problem.. the monitor cannot have perfect convergence and perfect focus at the same time. If I set vertical convergence to 58 so that all the colors are perfectly aligned in Nokia Monitor Test grid test with 3 colors displayed, text goes slightly out of focus on grey backgrounds (or different color background).

The best place to see what I am talking about is to look at the text on www.bluesnews.com and see how it is out of focus on the blue background. White on black or black on white is fine, though.

So, that's why I always set the V. convergence at 51 so that text is always in focus regardless of the background. But then the colors become very misaligned in the grid test.

It's a tradeoff, I guess.. perhaps I should see if playing around with Windas dynamic convergence would fix this focus problem. Perhaps it has to do with CRT technology where red is supposed to be a little to the left and blue a little to the right?

My monitor from AccurateIT arrived earlier today, but I only had an hour to play with it before leaving for work. Most of that time I left it to warm up to do an Image Restore.

It's really strange. I didn't really do much at first in terms of adjustments, or even looking at the monitor on varions pictures or in games until after it warmed up. When it was warmed up, and I hit image restore, even though the colors looked great, blacks were clearly off. They looked dark grey. No matter how I adjusted the brightness and contrast, the picture was way too dark in games and windows as well. Adjusting the brightness above 30 washed out the image a ton. Any lower and my blacks were crushed.

Now that I just got back from work and turned on the monitor, though, everything looks almost perfect. Blacks and black, the monitor is bright in games. Brightness and contrast adjustments seem to actually work now.

Is it because it was warmed up that everything was off? Seems weird that the monitor would look worse when warmed up than when freshly turned on.

Guess I'll post an update in an hour or so, see how things look then.

Also, I noticed twp small, hairline scratches in the anti-glare coating when I was looking at it earlier. They were only visable on a white background, and only when I moved my head did I see them kind of shimmer. Now that I look again, I've lost track of them. I know where they should be, but they're not there. This is supposed to be an A- grade monitor. But it's so small and noticable only on pure white (I can't even see it when the monitor is off) I'm not sure if I'll send it back or not.

EDIT: So many things I keep forgetting. The upper right hand corner curves down a lot more than the upper left does. I knew a slight curve would be at the top, but it is a little bigger than I expected on the right side.

Anyone know the difference between the Center and Size adjustments in the OSD. They both keep seperate settings from each other, despite having the same controls.

Here is another problem I noticed. There are these discolored areas in the center top and bottom of the screen. They only show up on white (the tinge shows up as yellow) and red from what I can tell. Adjusting the landing doesn't do a thing to fix them. :( The bottom is the biggest problem, but you can see it slightly at the top too. Plus the huge curve at the top right corner. :(

Sorry for the photo quality. I used a cell phone camera.
Image029.jpg

So strange. If I deguass the monitor with that red screen displayed the image will be *perfect* for about one second, then return to that nasty tinged color at the top and bottom.

your going to need screwdrivers, soft cloth towels, glue remover, something like a credit card/metro card, and a prestine* razer.

use this thread as a guide, and PAY ATTENTION TO THAT PICTURE!! YOU CAN KILL YOURSELF!!!

Wedge the credit card/metrocard in one of the corners anti glare coating flap overlap. You will know what I mean after you get the panels off. After you get it starting to peel off, GO EXTREMELY SLOW!! I CANNOT STRESS THIS!! The faster you go, the more glue will be left for you to spend 2 hours rubbing off!!!! If the corner you started from is giving you glue, go restart from another corner. This will remove ANY and ALL scratched you have, unless someone slashed it with a razer blade. Your colors/whites/blacks will all be better. Be sure to turn the brightness down, it will be A LOT BRIGHTER! Make sure you only play in a dark room. It is VERY reflective.

So what your saying is that i have to take it apart and get the front frame off to get to the edge of the anti-glare coating and pull it off. Seems i have no choice but to do this as i can see atleast 9 scratches dead center of the screen.

So what your saying is that i have to take it apart and get the front frame off to get to the edge of the anti-glare coating and pull it off. Seems i have no choice but to do this as i can see atleast 9 scratches dead center of the screen.

I have some areas of the AR coating that have some flaws in them. If you do this, let us know how it works out for you. I thought the AR coating was some kind of sparyed or applied coating.

Les

Hey shadowex3, I think I found the problem.. the monitor cannot have perfect convergence and perfect focus at the same time. If I set vertical convergence to 58 so that all the colors are perfectly aligned in Nokia Monitor Test grid test with 3 colors displayed, text goes slightly out of focus on grey backgrounds (or different color background).

The best place to see what I am talking about is to look at the text on www.bluesnews.com and see how it is out of focus on the blue background. White on black or black on white is fine, though.

So, that's why I always set the V. convergence at 51 so that text is always in focus regardless of the background. But then the colors become very misaligned in the grid test.

It's a tradeoff, I guess.. perhaps I should see if playing around with Windas dynamic convergence would fix this focus problem. Perhaps it has to do with CRT technology where red is supposed to be a little to the left and blue a little to the right?

hm, for me it's the opposite. I can have perfect convergence in general but the only text that ever really stays in easily readable focus is black on grey and white on black/black on white is bad and colors are worse.

Well I'm returning it anyway sooo...

Hmm must be a faulty one for you.

I just solved my problem by disabling cleartext. Now I don't have any problems with text sharpness and fonts.. they are readable on any given background.

Thanks to you, now I can enjoy both good convergence and good focus at the same time! It was Microsoft Cleartype causing the problem with font readability!!! Damn, what is Microsoft doing? Cleartype actually adds different colors (shades and hues) to fonts that are very noticeable when highlighting the text as you click across using your mouse.

Convergence is still a little off in a few places, especially in the lower right corner like yours.. but I'm happy for now and when I'm unhappy again, I'll spend a few hours tweaking it with WinDAS dynamic convergence.

Hello,
Now that I've fixed my Brightness issue. I just remembered another issue I had forgot about. The monitor will go out of focus for a while and then you'll hear a click and it will snap back into focus. Or when It goes out of focus, you can cycle the power button, and it will be in focus, but will shortly go out of focus. Has anyone else had this problem?

Les

Yup, thats what you have to do. Just follow my instructions and warnings carefully. I've already done this on my FW900 and I LOVE how it turned out. I plan on doing it to my P1110 too. This is the only way to fix scratches.

Here is another problem I noticed. There are these discolored areas in the center top and bottom of the screen. They only show up on white (the tinge shows up as yellow) and red from what I can tell. Adjusting the landing doesn't do a thing to fix them. :( The bottom is the biggest problem, but you can see it slightly at the top too. Plus the huge curve at the top right corner. :(

Sorry for the photo quality. I used a cell phone camera.
Image029.jpg

So strange. If I deguass the monitor with that red screen displayed the image will be *perfect* for about one second, then return to that nasty tinged color at the top and bottom.

Ok , I might be able to shed some light at least at this annoying problem , most of your other problems will be solvable through the windas settings I believe , with the exception of this one. I have the same exact problem , however only at the bottom of the screen. It appears that this monitor is VERY sensitive to magnetic fields. This problem happened to me when I moved to a new place and disappears when I rotate the monitor . Try rotating it or just moving it into another room and see the discoloration disappear ( and some minor alignment problems as well) What is weird is that my 17 inch samsung beside it does not have this problem , I guess its just less sensitive.

my 2 cents about this specific problems , if anyone else has these experiences or a solution shoot. Very annoying problem for this monitor but I am learning to live with the disappointment that colors on my 17 inch sammy are better than this monitor.

Back