24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

Well here is an update on the scratch situation.

Lou called me up and we pretty much discussed the options of fixing the issue. Since it wasn't practical to send it cross country and back for a new unit, he ended up giving me a small discount.

I am still a little unhappy that a 3in scratch line on the monitor screen ruined an almost perfect display. This is something I'll just have to deal with...

Has anyone tried removing the antiglare coat on a CRT monitor before?

UrielDagda said:
wow this thing rocks.. especially for watching DVDs. My only problem is that the display seems to shimmer on the sides. It's kinda like certain parts of the display has Parkinson's or something.

It might be some kind of interference though, not sure I can solve it without a line conditioner or something. :(

EDIT: Eureka! seems using 75Hz instead of 85Hz solved the shimmering completely.

I was getting similar 'screen shaking' when I had a fan plugged into the same power strip as the monitor, moving the fan to another outlet fixed it. it sounds like you're having similar issues rather than an actual problem with the monitor, ..I'd try fixing it so you can run 85hz as it will be better on your eyes :)

I run monitor resolution at 1600x1024 @100mhz
when i play some games is hard to find a nice resolution to play in
battlefield 2 i can do 1920x1440 @ 75 hmz but i notice when game runs top area really small is cut off bout 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. @ 1024x in fear theres the black bars around edges of screen any way to make monitor smarter when it comes to scaling?

I figured it out, seems the monitor is not too smart and each resolution and each refresh rate at a certain resolution is independent. i changed monitor to game resolution lined up screen and all was fixed. now i have to go through all the resolutions and manually change them at all refresh rate :( anyone know a program or way to do it all automatically?

ellover009 said:
I run monitor resolution at 1600x1024 @100mhz
when i play some games is hard to find a nice resolution to play in
battlefield 2 i can do 1920x1440 @ 75 hmz but i notice when game runs top area really small is cut off bout 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. @ 1024x in fear theres the black bars around edges of screen any way to make monitor smarter when it comes to scaling?

Yea FEAR and BF2 dont have proper widescreen support so you end up with those symptoms (Example: the default 1024x768 res in FEAR is 4:3 aspect so you'll have bars on the sides of the screen),Im not real familur with BF2 (Dont have it) but you can edit the FEAR settings.cfg to run a proper widescreen resolution, find the settings.cfg in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Monolith Productions\FEAR directory ,you'll see something like this:

"GammaB" "1.038927"
"GammaG" "1.038927"
"GammaR" "1.038927"
"BitDepth" "32"
"HardwareCursor" "1.000000"
"ScreenWidth" "1024"
"VSyncOnFlip" "0.000000"
"DeviceName" "\\.\DISPLAY1"
"ScreenHeight" "768"

Change ScreenWidth and ScreenHeight to get the desired resolution, I changed it to 1280x800 so it looks like this:

"GammaB" "1.038927"
"GammaG" "1.038927"
"GammaR" "1.038927"
"BitDepth" "32"
"HardwareCursor" "1.000000"
"ScreenWidth" "1280"
"VSyncOnFlip" "0.000000"
"DeviceName" "\\.\DISPLAY1"
"ScreenHeight" "800"

Only problem with this method is that if you go into the Video settings option in Fear it will reset the resolution to a non-widescreen mode ..so be sure you have the settings the way you want first.

Hey guys, how long did it take for you all to get your monitor? Did they email and/or give a tracking number?

Secthdamon said:
Hey guys, how long did it take for you all to get your monitor? Did they email and/or give a tracking number?

Mine was sent last thursday and I got it monday. I live in Pittsburgh though. I never even got an email telling me it was sent. :p

mathesar said:
I was getting similar 'screen shaking' when I had a fan plugged into the same power strip as the monitor, moving the fan to another outlet fixed it. it sounds like you're having similar issues rather than an actual problem with the monitor, ..I'd try fixing it so you can run 85hz as it will be better on your eyes :)

I'll try that as soon as I get some wood to brace my desk for the weight.. and get somebody to help me put it up there! For now it is just on the floor and can only reach 1 outlet.

I love this monitor, but good lord is it heavy. Having a bad back sucks. :(

got mine yesterday the hp 325 shipped one. DAMN it's like there are miniture 3d models inside the monitor no other way to describe the unbelievable picture quality!!!

wow

Just ordered one of the HP variety myself, definately worth the money folks. Cant wait to get it :p

I have a movie and I played it on divx, I like the 1600x1024 and 1600x1200. movie is off the net and i like to watch in full screen, so some quality is lost when stretch. Question is where would i see better movie quality on 1600x1024 or 1600x1200

Got the RGB part of my BNC's hooked up. But I still have a gray and black one and two ports. HD and VD.... black one goes on the end or something? I don't know where to put each. Got a 50/50 chance I suppose. You know, which is horizontal and which is vertical?

edit: Ok black is vertical sync. Gray is horizontal.

Wow... I think these BNC's were worth every penny. The text may not be as sharp as my 2405FPW but this really closed the gap I think. I don't think it's placebo effect.

Going back and forth between these monitors really spoils you in different ways. I just spent 20 minutes tweaking my geometry as of course doing it at one res alone won't do. Sheesh. Oh well, it's beautiful.

ugh... i really like the sound of this thing - but in a bedroom, you really need a beast of a desk to fit this thing... as much as i like quality and performance, i dont think putting this thing 6" from my face is going to outweigh the ease and still great performance of the 2405.

Finally rearranged my room to get everything set up,and here it is.This pic doesn't do the pic Quality on the crt any justice. It is amazing.It is a little darker than the LCD though, but very nice.

Life is good. Man do I have some serious real estate now !!! :D

spaceman said:
got mine yesterday the hp 325 shipped one. DAMN it's like there are miniture 3d models inside the monitor no other way to describe the unbelievable picture quality!!!

wow

what really amazes me is on high quality digital cam pics of panoramic views, and lots of foliage, etc, the incredible minute details that pop out. And this is the first CRT I have ever seen that, at it's highest resolution, has extremely clear text edge to edge.

Some other people reported having to wait for thiers to warm up after being off for a while, mine is clear and sharp within 5 seconds turning it on from cold.

Although I did take a few hours to fool around and tweak every setting the thing had to make it perfect.

I got my HP one on friday and I love it so far. The screen is absolutely perfect and there are no scratches. However, the text is a little blurry compared to my older monitor, but only around the edges (where the dot pitch is.27)

Is it me or do these monitors take 5 min to get a nice warm up?
when i boot up color is not as vibrant but after 5-10 min the monitor warms up and colors really kick in. Only wish this monitor was smart across the board and be perfectly fitting in all coners. when u turn it on seems like it stretches slightly then as it warms up the screen centers to preset.

Yeah the blacks can be a little gray for a few minutes. If the posts are all accurate though, I'm happy for the guy it takes a few seconds for and concerned for the guy that said it took considerable time. I'm in the "noticeable for a couple of minutes" club.

The sharpness & focus are spot on within seconds of powering on for me ,its the black levels that take 5-7 mintues to finaly become really black and the fact my screen is slightly stretched (very slight) at the bottom for about 10 minutes. Other than that Ive experianced no problems whatsoever after the initial warmup even after its been on all day without a break.

Well I just ordered one of these puppies off ebay. "Grade A refurbished, directly from HP"...so we'll see how this goes. They look rediculously awesome tho...

my dell p991 (19" Trinitron) is going out...the picture is geting very subtly shaking/flickery...you don't notice it until you get up and you are dizzy....

Deadsexy said:
A CRT? pfffft, why dont I go out and club my food to...

Nice thread crap. Look at all the people that have this thing and the Dell 2405FPW and so on. That should tell you something. That this is subjectively better than many LCDs in certain situations for us. All the while, we are not too poor or ignorant to the LCD camp. If you have a big LCD, I KNOW it blurs and has an afterglow that I prefer not deal with. Not because it's god awful, but because I don't have to.

Looks like I'm out $400.00.
I don't have the time to go do the 150 mile trip and DHL
took 10 days.
Well I've learned never to buy used-unseen.

Habrog said:
Looks like I'm out $400.00.
I don't have the time to go do the 150 mile trip and DHL
took 10 days.
Well I've learned never to buy used-unseen.

Im still trying to figure out what that screenshot is suppose to show us , what exactly is wrong with the monitor?

I don't get it. True thats a really weird desktop. Icons spread out, all white background, and no start bar. That wackiness the issue? Maybe reinstall VC drivers and monitor driver. VGA should be plug and play if you are using that. My icons always get tossed around in windows if the res is changing. Maybe you can explain a bit.

Sorry guys I thought it would show up.
I used white to show the wide blue streak runing through the
desktop and how it showed pink (folder icons...) on the left
and yellow on the right.
I used that same monitor to check the image-even placed it
in smaller version on different parts of the monitor to see if the image would take.

Now that I switched back to my ageing GDM-F520 I see it shows nothing.
Oh I always hide my task bar.
Well I know it's crap and not worth my time to try and get a good photo of it.
That would also show heavy ware of the anti-glare.

spaceman said:
that sucks mine's perfect

It's always good to hear that others haven't had such bad luck.

Now I just have to lug this pig to the recycle center and write
a bad review for Lou at E-bay.

Well, my monitor came today. Absolutely stunning at 1280x1024@60Hz. Sucks though, because I have to wait until tomorrow for my new computer parts to come in. (Can't wait to get the refresh rate up)

I will say that I was horrified when I first turned it on due to the horrible black levels, even though I knew it would eventually fix itself after the warmup. Man, I was on pins and needles.

I also noticed a pink corner, which was fixed when I messed with the "Landing" or something like that. Maybe it'll help someone.

Lou shipped it out the next day, even though it took an extra 3 days because DHL is always slow around here. I'm satisfied!

Secthdamon said:
I also noticed a pink corner, which was fixed when I messed with the "Landing" or something like that. Maybe it'll help someone.

Thanks man, you helped my slightly yellow corner. :D

I'm thinking about picking one up and was wondering what you guys are using for wallpapers and where to get them.

Habrog said:
It's always good to hear that others haven't had such bad luck.

Now I just have to lug this pig to the recycle center and write
a bad review for Lou at E-bay.

You do have the 30 day warranty... Have you even tried calling the guy?

synergyo1 said:
You do have the 30 day warranty... Have you even tried calling the guy?

tbh I half suspected that I would be paying more shipping
even under the warranty. And get yet another monitor I would not use.

So after speaking with him (4:30PM NY time) I was told that he’d send a DHL sticker.
Who knows if the next one is bad maybe he’ll pay for shipping back to him and not
send another. Just so I don’t have to deal with it. I already figured this was a risk.
If it ends up too be 2 bad monitors I’m done.

My old monitor is better anyway (not widescreen) I was just thinking a nice widescreen CRT would be nice since I need a back-up.

Back