24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

Excellent, there you go. :)

We just bought one of these for our Art Department here at work. Thanks mathesar.

Also, this seems to be the best bang for the buck way of getting a high res monitor for next-gen gaming. Do they have HDMI to VGA converters out there perhaps? I was curious if this would work for the PS3. We probably don't have enough info yet on the PS3 to know.

Also if I were to use it as a monitor for my laptop, I'm not sure if my laptop will support the high widescreen resolutions. It has that crappy Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chipset. :(

I'm loving the monitor so far. The packaging was crazy :) There are some scratches and chipping on the exterior, but overall I'm satisfied.

How does this monitor compare to the HP L2335? From comments it seemed the HP was more gamer friendly than the Dell? I'm somewhat limited for desk space but I'm using a Hitachi CM751U right now.

I recently also purchased a FW900 from ebay for 153 dollars, I am pretty satisfied with the monitor...

It got a little banged up during shiping even though it was packaged rather well, ie theres no damage on it, but I had to literally "smack" it for the monitor to work when I first attempted to hook it up but its working perfectly now.

I realized that it needs a good VGA cable and not your average cheap cable to avoid getting distortion in your images but the question that I have is, this being the first "widescreen" monitor that I posses, what resolution is recommended? I am trying to look for a res in the 1280 flavor, I currently have it on 1280*1024, I realize this is not a wide screen res so would the wide screen res then by 1280*800? or 900?

I know there is a program for XP called "forceres" or "resforce" but I cant seem to type the search into google correctly to get a link for the application, any help would be appreciated!

bah i noticed there is a scratched line on the antiglare coating :( Only shows up when viewing something bright.

EndersGame said:
I realized that it needs a good VGA cable and not your average cheap cable to avoid getting distortion in your images but the question that I have is, this being the first "widescreen" monitor that I posses, what resolution is recommended? I am trying to look for a res in the 1280 flavor, I currently have it on 1280*1024, I realize this is not a wide screen res so would the wide screen res then by 1280*800? or 900?

I settled on 1600x1024, small font. 1900x1200 was a little much for text oriented work.

I know there is a program for XP called "forceres" or "resforce" but I cant seem to type the search into google correctly to get a link for the application, any help would be appreciated!

You can also use Rage 3D Tweak to get additional resolutions

hxw5223 said:
How does this monitor compare to the HP L2335? From comments it seemed the HP was more gamer friendly than the Dell? I'm somewhat limited for desk space but I'm using a Hitachi CM751U right now.

I'm all good for OT, but you sure you didn't get lost too? :p I know some other guy was clearly looking to post in a Dell 2405 thread. If not well, first part, this monitor compares favorably in gaming for a lot of us.... it's a CRT after all. Outside of that you might want some LCD's experts to pick if you want to go that route. I was kind of picky about the blur. I know the HP isn't in a different league than Dell in that regard. There is one HP model that they say it's less noticeable than the Dell.... like 4 stars compared to 3.5. Next time I splurge on a screen, it be nice if the tech didn't even have to be rated in this regard. Don't see a motion blur category on CRT's. I guess all that would really matter was my model didn't have the issue, but I just chose not to believe it anymore until I see it. The response rate spec has been pretty bastardized. The VP191b, while too small for my tastes, is the only one that might satisfy me in the long run, the like of which any LCD aficiando will tell you has not been duplicated in the large screen arena, not in response time. Heh.. and thats because it stays under 16ms through all transitions. Ugh... 4ms and so on... find another sucker. BS. Might as well make that the new acronym.... blazing fast 24" display.... 3bs response rate... wOOt!

EndersGame said:
I am trying to look for a res in the 1280 flavor, I currently have it on 1280*1024, I realize this is not a wide screen res so would the wide screen res then by 1280*800? or 900?

1280x800 is the correct 16:10 ratio resolution for that width. Everything is extremely legible and sharp at that resolution

I'm liking (non-standard) 1600x1000 and 1680x1050 resolutions for the work area while using small text. 1760x1100 and 1840x1150 are also 16:10 resolutions that can be used to bridge the large gap before 1920x1200.

mathesar,
You can easily add custom resolutions within the nvidia drivers on the resolution page. 1680x1050 works great at 100 hertz.

Scotch77 said:

Thats the monitor I was using before getting the FW900 (pic) and it was definately a superb monitor , Actualy the FW900 lacks one of the G520P's best features wich is the Picture Effect toggle button on the front, when browsing the web or working with text I'd use Professional mode wich would cut back on the contrast output and make text cleaner ,plus the lower contrast was better on the eyes for extended text viewing ,When playing games or watching movies I'd use the Standard or Dynamic mode wich gave it a nice boost in contrast / color & slight gamma boost while maintaining great black levels. All of these modes wouldnt affect the current user contrast / brightness etc. settings so it was doing internal adjustments.. I've gotten used to manualy lowering / raising the Contrast on my FW900 (I have the contrast set at 62 as I type this) but must admit the G520P's Dynamic mode gave it a slight edge in picture vibrancy over the FW900 (minor complaint).

Romir said:
mathesar,
You can easily add custom resolutions within the nvidia drivers on the resolution page. 1680x1050 works great at 100 hertz.

Ahh great thanks for the info. :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
mathesar said:
Thats the monitor I was using before getting the FW900 (pic) and it was definately a superb monitor , Actualy the FW900 lacks one of the G520P's best features wich is the Picture Effect toggle button on the front, when browsing the web or working with text I'd use Professional mode wich would cut back on the contrast output and make text cleaner ,plus the lower contrast was better on the eyes for extended text viewing ,When playing games or watching movies I'd use the Standard or Dynamic mode wich gave it a nice boost in contrast / color & slight gamma boost while maintaining great black levels. All of these modes wouldnt affect the current user contrast / brightness etc. settings so it was doing internal adjustments.. I've gotten used to manualy lowering / raising the Contrast on my FW900 (I have the contrast set at 62 as I type this) but must admit the G520P's Dynamic mode gave it a slight edge in picture vibrancy over the FW900 (minor complaint).

Ahh great thanks for the info. :)

I was just pointing out that awsome price, to the members here. Seems to be excessivly cheap.

Scotch77 said:
I was just pointing out that awsome price, to the members here. Seems to be excessivly cheap.

Yea that is a good price if the monitors are still in good shape ..I bought mine new just over 2 years ago for $600 from newegg.com and it still performs like new.

synergyo1 said:
bah i noticed there is a scratched line on the antiglare coating :( Only shows up when viewing something bright.

Does the line have a rainbow effect as well or its just a dark line? I'm assuming you know about the damper wires that run across the screen (2 of them) wich you can only see on a bright backround.

mathesar said:
Does the line have a rainbow effect as well or its just a dark line? I'm assuming you know about the damper wires that run across the screen (2 of them) wich you can only see on a bright backround.

Yes I know about the 2 wires associated with Aperture Grills. This scratch has the rainbow effect. It curves a bit.

It is obviously a scratch on the antiglare coat :(

synergyo1 said:
Yes I know about the 2 wires associated with Aperture Grills. This scratch has the rainbow effect. It curves a bit.

It is obviously a scratch on the antiglare coat :(

You plan on asking the seller for a replacement? ... I would.

If it ends up me paying for shipping, I would rather deal with it. I sent them an email today... We'll see how it goes.

I have one line too. Doh!! I'm thinking of heading up there (165 miles). I wouldn't ship it back either, it is really minor. Mine's noticeable only when the monitor is very clean, and the light from the sun or something else needs to be bouncing off that area of the glass. In another words, sometimes I even have to move my head in such a way and kinda have to focus on the glass and not the image to see it. When I go to the area to look for it, my eyes would even end up kind of crossing as I flipped my focus. Mostly an issue because I drive myself nuts. Given the cost I wouldnt regret it either way. Thing is a bought this as an improvement for gaming over my 2405FPW. I just want what I want at this point. $100 was worth avoiding the ride but I don't want to pay $100 to ship a new one on top of what it would cost to ship this back. I figure another go for the ride point is now I'll have my choice. FYI, they're not the best emailers. Call that number they give for those that wanted more than 5 or whatever. Definitely not a huge deal. You guys will note how long ago I posted i aws happy with it and it had arrived. Once I got around to cleaning it well, I could see it. Normal few fingerprints and what not and I wouldnt have noticed.

I know I have the same problem because I couldn't think of how to put it. I'm like it's a scratch... err... a scuff, not like I can run my finger over it. Yeah I get it, line in antiglare coat. Guess I've just gone off the deepend and want to follow through getting the best I can. I mean, it's not like it compares to the annoyance of AG lines.... but in some twisted way I just consider those a necessary evil to have a gaming screen that to this FPS fan, blasts LCD's to another time zone. It is kind of absurd of me to drive that far two ways over something this unnoticeable when there are always two black lines there... but hey... looks like I might be going absurd route. :)

did you get the sony, or the HP version? Mine SHOULD be coming today (HP) but im almost afraid to look too closely at it now :(

I went HP. So far we have 2 with a line, out of probably almost 10 buyers. I'd look for it. Screw it. Should be fine.

I bought the Sony. If it ends up really annoying me I'll probably just remove the anti-glare coat.

Does anyone have any flicker problems while using the BNC cable? The flickering only happens when I right click files associated with WMP 10 and when I enter the Advance Display screen.

I switched over to the VGA connector and everything seems fine.

Along with many others in this post, I also decided to purchase this Sony FW900 off of eBay (once again it was from the guy in Mass. USA) and what an amazing purchase. I had a 17" Sony LCD and it was great for the vibrant, pure colors but I wanted more screen size and resolution. I'm absolutely loving this FW900 (the actual Sony version) because of it's very high refresh rates, large real estate, and unbelievable resolutions. The monitor came in surprisingly good quality considering it's 3 years old. Absolutely no markings at all on the screen but the case and bezel has a few scratches and dents. Don't be alarmed when you first fire it up b/c you need to calibrate it after it warms up (about 30 minutes).

I have BF2 running on the 1.03 patch, 1920x1440@75Hz (dumb EA doesn't allow widescreen resolutions in-game), 7800 GTX, FX-57 running at 3.0Ghz, and 2 gigs of overclocked RAM. With the new 81.82 nVidia drivers optomized for BF2 (and it's no joke with a noticeable 15 FPS increase for me over the previous drivers), I get 60-75 FPS with all settings on High except for all 3 lighting at Medium and Terrain at Medium and AA at 2x. At 1600x1024 I get close to 90 FPS consistently at 85Hz.

For the $375 total I paid for this bad boy off eBay, it mops the floor with any available LCD technology regardless of panel manufacturer, cost, screen size, and response time.

I just made the previous post and I want to add one more thing. I did notice that this FW900 just didn't have the vibrant colors that my LCD had, however, under the Color Correction option under the nVidia Settings, I turned up the "Digital Vibrance" from its zero default state to high and the colors just fly out the screen at you. They are almost too intense so I went to the Medium setting which is just about the same color intensity of my previous LCDs. Just though you all may want to know.

Thanks for the tip on the digital vibrance. My eyes started to hurt after maxing it out o_0. I find the perfect setting is between low and mid.

I forgot all about Digital Vibrance,I just turned it up slightly in the Low range and it does indeed look nicer :)

Well, headed up to MA to switch the HP. Probably for a Sony. Scuff free Sony shall be mine.

crap im starting to wish i got the sony version...
Did anyone else with the hp have any problems w/ it? scratches or image related problems?
I'm really hoping the hp has the same quality (at least in display quality) as the sony does. Anyone have experiences with both?

^^ Hey man, good to hear. The guy actually can't wait for me to get all the way up there. Got Red Sox tickets all of a sudden or something. Please report back if you see you get the last uber one or soomething. Hopefully you find two are in a dead heat and you need to flip a coin or something. :D

On the topic of Hp, I'm just swithcing because hey it's gray. I'm just going to get the original manufacturer of these since I'm going up there, and I know the guy is the real deal. it was kind of a toss up when I originally ordered I figured I'd save 75 beans in case there was a major issue. I don't think you made a bad decision. 2 guys with minor lines out of 10 or so... I don't think switching manus should matter either way I'd stay positive.

mathesar said:
I forgot all about Digital Vibrance,I just turned it up slightly in the Low range and it does indeed look nicer :)

Correct, the first thing I did, was set it between low and medium and she looks sweet.. sinve you have the trinitron pay attention to the "corners" you can figure that from the "screen" option in the menues, you need to get them to match up... ie there color...

Also.. i have my color profile at 9,600 on the monitor, as i light TRUE white....

Contrast I have at 100% on the monitor and at 107% on the nvidia drivers, and brightness at 34 on the monitor, she really shines her colors that way!

just set mine up and am typing on it now :D but i have a problem:
the actual picture seems...crooked. like the picture is on a slant or something. One edge of the picture touches the right corner of the screen, but the other kind of slouches down. I think its a setting w/ the graphics card i have to change, but anyone know how to fix this?

For $400, I could not resist. I realized that all the drawbacks I could come up with were somewhat superficial. It's weight and depth don't concern me. Heat and power don't concern me. Text sharpness doesn't concern me, I'm not going to use it for web browsing, but games and movies in my HTPC. No lag issues, noise issues, backlight issues, pixel issues, ghosting issues, contrast issues. Just a great tv to have in wait of dynamic led lcds and SED.

Orange, that sounds like your geometry isn't calibrated. It's not a pc issue, you need to use the menu on the monitor itself.

when I play CS:S, i set the resolution to 1280x786, and it crunches the image horizontally. Anyone know how to just make it scale to 1280x768 and simply increase the image size?

Tempting but I don't think I have deskspace at all for that :(
Probably buy a 2005fpw pretty soon.

Okay, what cables is everyone using? Does some video guru here know if there would be any benefit to a vga>bnc cable over a standard vga>vga?

I am using the BNC cable.. Supposably I read that the picture is sharper while using one.

I was kind of under the impression that bnc>bnc was better than vga>vga, but vga>bnc I'm not so sure about...

pacificcables.com has a dvi>bnc cable, i doubut that this will give any advantage over vga>bnc but it would atleast remove the need to use a dvi adapter on the card.

Back