Waiting to see if the Titan Y (or whatever they call it) is anything to write home about.
Quick question, Nvidia has posted specs of their Pascal tesla product, now that we have a better idea of clockspeed/performance ratios of the 10 series, maybe we can speculate a bit in the eventual Titan Y.
The P100 has twice as many transistors as GP104. More transistors = more power consumption on similar architectures. Clock speed isn't everything.What is interesting is the core clock speeds of p100 seem to be similar to that of gp104, of course they are drawing 300watts though, its hard to say how many watts those DP units are eating up or how much die space they are talking up.......
But a cursory look I would say they could get a full p100 down to around 200 watts if they cut out the dp units.....
That is a crazy amount of SP performance for that kind of power consumption.
True. I would at least hope that if they ever went over a 250W TDP on the consumer card that they would go with an AIO like AMD did.that is true but you no longer have a GDDR5x bus, which saves a good deal of space and the clock speed of the GDDR5x portion of the silicon will drop the power usage too.
If they cut out the DP units I wouldn't be surprised if the chip ends up around 450-500 mm, and without the crazy clocks on the GDDR5x bus, that will drop the power consumption to comparable levels albeit still higher than the 1080, I don't think its going to go over 250 watts thats for sure.
Let's say that 1080Ti is coming later this year. What's coming next year? 1180Ti based on Pascal refresh? Or is Volta next?
I'm thinking about skipping 1080Ti and just going for the even bigger Pascal (if Pascal refresh is going to exist). Should be roughly 75-100% faster than 980Ti.
Otherwise I'll just wait for Volta. I'd like at least 75% better performance than a single 980Ti.
If 1080Ti manages to get that much power, I'll still wait for late 2017 cards.
Just sold my Asus Strix GTX 970 for $350ca so I will be purchasing the GTX 1080 as soon as possible. Should be a nice bump in performance.
I'm assuming the Canadian launch price will be scary so the $350 will help somewhat.
It's going to be torture not having a capable video card for ~ month or more.
I'm selling 970 and will be using igpu till 1070 comes. i'm afraid after release it will be impossible to sell for decent money.Now I miss the days where I had an iGPU. Can't sell my existing 970 because I have no replacements. Will probably snatch up the 1080P this time, will be a huge upgrade for me. That plus a 144Hz IPS/VA monitor will do nicely IMO.
No. 2 x 980Ti Classifieds. Maybe in a generation or two past the 1080 when we see some massive gains..
This. I waited for a GTX 1080 Ti and passed over the 980 Ti. If I wait for the next thing, I will never upgrade, and GTX 780 Ti SLI is beginning to struggle with 1440p@120Hz...No matter which year you are in, it is the same.
Next year will bring a newer faster card.
If you can put off buying and not suffer you should.
If you need to buy now, buy now.
The exception is if there is an offer you could miss out on.
This... never... changes.