.

Will you buy a GTX 1080 and sell what you have now?

  • Yes - buying a 1080, selling what I have now

    Votes: 146 43.7%
  • No - Keeping what I have now (970. 980, 980 Ti, Titan Radeon, etc)

    Votes: 188 56.3%

  • Total voters
    334
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armenius

Fully [H]
Joined
Jan 28, 2014
Messages
28,967
Let's say that 1080Ti is coming later this year. What's coming next year? 1180Ti based on Pascal refresh? Or is Volta next?
I'm thinking about skipping 1080Ti and just going for the even bigger Pascal (if Pascal refresh is going to exist). Should be roughly 75-100% faster than 980Ti.
Otherwise I'll just wait for Volta. I'd like at least 75% better performance than a single 980Ti.
If 1080Ti manages to get that much power, I'll still wait for late 2017 cards.
I have a feeling that Volta is going to be NVIDIA's Broadwell, but we'll see. I say do whatever makes you happy. I went from 970 SLI to a Titan X after just 6 months and have no regrets.
 

ir0nw0lf

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 7, 2003
Messages
6,403
[h] nerd with disposable income and a spending problem checking in:

Currently running 2 x Titan X's in SLI under custom water.

Will be buying 2 x 1080s on launch day from the Nvidia Store (assuming I hit refresh in time) but won't be installing them until I get EK water blocks and backplates.

Honestly I hardly even game anymore, but like I said, I have a spending problem!
Wanna adopt me? :LOL:

I'm content with my 970 but the 1070 is looking pretty tasty. Would then push the 970 into the 2nd box running a 7870 then "donate" the 7870 to charity.
 

JohnC0817

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
121
I'm currently running a single 970 and want to upgrade to 4k gaming so will I be switching? Yes. But maybe not a 1080. I'll wait for the reviews first.
 

twonunpackmule

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
1,656
I went 970 SLi just a few weeks ago. My current PC is an i5 2500k OCed to 4.5ghz. I'm debating whether I should upgrade, or if I should build a new Skylake machine instead. Then, once I gauge that performance, determine whether to get the card or not.
 

skypine27

Gawd
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
734
Wanna adopt me? :LOL:

I'm content with my 970 but the 1070 is looking pretty tasty. Would then push the 970 into the 2nd box running a 7870 then "donate" the 7870 to charity.

Damn dude, I thought I was an /oldfag for being here since 2008..........
 

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
3,633
I'm so excited, I just Sold my Oculous Rift on Ebay for $1150, both my 980s are on there at $270 and $265 right now. Hopefully ill be getting to 1080 Gtxs without spending much new money :)
 

Celcius

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 16, 2011
Messages
185
I'm currently running a single 970 and want to upgrade to 4k gaming so will I be switching? Yes. But maybe not a 1080. I'll wait for the reviews first.
I'm in a similar boat - I have a GTX 780 Ti which is about the same as your 970 performance wise and I just got a 4k monitor.
The main game I'm playing is Street Fighter V and it requires a constant 60 fps. As you can imagine, that's brutal at 4k.
I'm planning to get a Pascal Titan but if a GTX 1080 can do that then it's tempting to get one in the meanwhile. If it can't then I can already run it at 1080p and upscale to 4k so it would make sense to just wait for the more powerful card.
Although I've had my current card since the day it launched and kinda have the itch to upgrade...
 

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Joined
Feb 9, 2002
Messages
59,183
I'll wait to see what real benchmarks show and then I'll decide whether or not to upgrade.
 

Syntax Error

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 14, 2008
Messages
2,681
I'll probably be updating to a 1070 or 1080, depending on benchmarks, since I'll be coming from SLI GTX 670s I've had since late 2013, so it's time for an upgrade. Not sure if I'd upgrade my current processor (3570K OC'd to 4.5), since I'm not sure if I'm really processor bottlenecked at this stage.
 

nilepez

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 21, 2005
Messages
11,820
I bought a relatively inexpensive GTX 960 last year in anticipation of this release, but I'm not going to buy any of these cards before there are reviews and probalby not before their are aftermarket coolers (i.e. cards with quiet fans like the Strix)
 

zone74

Gawd
Joined
Jul 7, 2015
Messages
621
Probably not.

Problem is that if I'm upgrading to a faster GPU than I have now (GTX960) my 2500K won't be able to keep up.
I didn't mind dropping from a 970 to a 960 for the newer video decoding hardware because the 970 was being bottlenecked by the CPU all the time anyway.

So that means I really need to do a full system build, but Intel's current CPUs don't seem like enough of an improvement to justify that cost yet.
Their 8 core CPUs seem to offer the sort of improvement to overall system performance that I'm looking for, but they're a generation behind the consumer parts and don't clock as high, which hurts gaming performance.

And if I'm doing a full system build, then I don't see the point of spending so much without a variable refresh rate display. (G-Sync)
But all of the current G-Sync monitors seem really overpriced for what they are, and I really don't want to spend any amount of money on another LCD really. If I'm spending a lot of money on a new display I'd prefer OLED.
All the current G-Sync displays are so small, so low contrast, and none of them seem to have good quality control despite the high prices.

So it ends up being a lot more expensive than just a video card, and I can't justify the cost of a total system build right now.
Maybe once Volta gets here, if they support Async Compute and HBM is standard by then, instead of only being on the Ti cards.

If history is any indication, the Ti variant is going to be another 60% faster on top of that. So if you wait another 6 months you'll (actually) potentially get double the performance.
Titans typically launch in February/March, and Ti cards several months after that, so I would expect it to be more than 6 months.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: N4CR
like this

Nenu

[H]ardened
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
19,917
So upgrade your gfx card.
If its not good enough, upgrade the cpu/mobo/ram later.
If you havent clocked it, theres a free upgrade.

Clocked 2500K is still pretty good.
 

zone74

Gawd
Joined
Jul 7, 2015
Messages
621
Clocked 2500K is still pretty good.
At 4.5GHz it wasn't fast enough to keep up with a GTX 970 in many games (when I had one) so it's definitely not fast enough for a 1080.
Even reducing the game to the lowest possible settings, I can't get Doom 4 to run at a solid 60 FPS with the 2500K on my system with a 960.

A GTX 1080 would push the average up higher towards the 200 FPS cap, but it'll still drop below 60 as long as it's paired with a 2500K.
So that means either the CPU has to be replaced (which means a new motherboard and RAM too) or I need to get a G-Sync display to go along with it.
 
Last edited:

Nenu

[H]ardened
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
19,917
If you want to maintain a 60fps min, ok.

When I had one that eventually clocked as low as 4.3GHz, it was 10% to 20% short on speed to maintain 60fps in even the most hardcore games.
Tons of games could hold 60fps easily.
 
Last edited:

damstr

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 26, 2005
Messages
1,466
Hard to say. I currently have a 780 and it struggles in The Division (although so do a lot of higher end cards) The Witcher can't sustain 60FPS @ 1080P. I just got Doom but apparently my 780 will play it fine @ 1080P. The only time I ever upgrade is when new game is coming out that I want to max out.
 

morningreis

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
1,574
Happy with my 970 overall, but it doesn't really cut it for 4K. $599 pricetag for a 1080 isn't bad if I can sell the 970. Not sure how much it'll go for after these new cards are out though.
 

Armenius

Fully [H]
Joined
Jan 28, 2014
Messages
28,967
Titans typically launch in March/April, and Ti cards several months after that, so I would expect it to be more than 6 months.
The original Titan went for sale on February 21, 2013 (11 months after GTX 680) and Titan Black on February 18, 2014 (9 months after GTX 780). Titan X was the first to launch on a March date (March 17, 2015; 6 months after GTX 980). Going by that history I would expect a "Titan" version anywhere between November of this year and April next year, which puts it into the speculated Q1 2017 range. But if anything the launch window has been getting closer to initial launch of Gx104.
 

zone74

Gawd
Joined
Jul 7, 2015
Messages
621
If you want to maintain a 60fps min, ok.

When I had one that eventually clocked as low as 4.3GHz, it was 10% to 20% short on speed to maintain 60fps in even the most hardcore games.
Tons of games could hold 60fps easily.
Unless you have a Variable Refresh Rate monitor, you have to sustain a minimum of 60 FPS for gameplay to be smooth.
Any time it drops below 60 you get awful stuttering.

That's why I'm saying that I'd need to either upgrade my CPU or buy a G-Sync display to go with it.
Upgrading to a 1080 would result in very unstable framerates, where it goes from very high FPS to low FPS depending on the CPU demands of the scene being rendered.

The original Titan went for sale on February 21, 2013 (11 months after GTX 680) and Titan Black on February 18, 2014 (9 months after GTX 780). Titan X was the first to launch on a March date (March 17, 2015; 6 months after GTX 980). Going by that history I would expect a "Titan" version anywhere between November of this year and April next year, which puts it into the speculated Q1 2017 range. But if anything the launch window has been getting closer to initial launch of Gx104.
My mistake, I should have said Feb/March, not March/April.
 
Last edited:

Raendor

Gawd
Joined
Sep 21, 2015
Messages
845
Unless you have a Variable Refresh Rate monitor, you have to sustain a minimum of 60 FPS for gameplay to be smooth.
Any time it drops below 60 you get awful stuttering.

That's why I'm saying that I'd need to either upgrade my CPU or buy a G-Sync display to go with it.
Upgrading to a 1080 would result in very unstable framerates, where it goes from very high FPS to low FPS depending on the CPU demands of the scene being rendered.

My mistake, I should have said Feb/March, not March/April.


Get both. Because in all honesty - it's time to get them if you want to have great gaming experience and not bother yourself. In your case I'd rather get 1070 + G-sync display + upgrade cpu to something like i5 6500 or ideally 6600k if budget is concerned.
 

Nenu

[H]ardened
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
19,917
Unless you have a Variable Refresh Rate monitor, you have to sustain a minimum of 60 FPS for gameplay to be smooth.
Any time it drops below 60 you get awful stuttering.
I only found one game with annoying stuttering, Project Cars.
If it wasnt for that I would still be using my 2500k.
 

zone74

Gawd
Joined
Jul 7, 2015
Messages
621
Get both. Because in all honesty - it's time to get them if you want to have great gaming experience and not bother yourself. In your case I'd rather get 1070 + G-sync display + upgrade cpu to something like i5 6500 or ideally 6600k if budget is concerned.
Yes, I intend to. As I said in my original post though, it means that a video card upgrade really turns into a whole system upgrade, and I'm not sure that the performance offered by all of these components is worth the cost of doing so yet.
Once we get DP1.4 G-Sync displays that have much higher bandwidth, I'll probably jump on board - even though I'd really prefer to wait for OLED.
And I'll probably end up upgrading my CPU towards the end of the year. I just need to decide between the fastest quad-core I can get for gaming, or a 6/8 core CPU which is faster overall but performs worse in games.

I only found one game with annoying stuttering, Project Cars.
If it wasnt for that I would still be using my 2500k.
I guess it depends on the games that you're playing. I'm finding that a lot of recent games are dropping below 60 FPS and stuttering now, due to the 2500K rather than my GPU.
 

Raendor

Gawd
Joined
Sep 21, 2015
Messages
845
Yes, I intend to. As I said in my original post though, it means that a video card upgrade really turns into a whole system upgrade, and I'm not sure that the performance offered by all of these components is worth the cost of doing so yet.
Once we get DP1.4 G-Sync displays that have much higher bandwidth, I'll probably jump on board - even though I'd really prefer to wait for OLED.
And I'll probably end up upgrading my CPU towards the end of the year. I just need to decide between the fastest quad-core I can get for gaming, or a 6/8 core CPU which is faster overall but performs worse in games.

I guess it depends on the games that you're playing. I'm finding that a lot of recent games are dropping below 60 FPS and stuttering now, due to the 2500K rather than my GPU.

For 1440p you don't need to wait for 1.4. I grabbed S2716DG for rdiculous $480 on jet and plan to get 1070 after release. This monitor will definitely serve me as a main for a long while.
 

N4CR

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 17, 2011
Messages
4,825
N4CR said:
Never. I'll never turn to the Dark Side. You have failed, your highness. I am an AMD fan, like my father before me.
 

noko

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 14, 2010
Messages
6,652
I will wait until Vega hits and see which is better, plus if Nvidia will be releasing a Titan or 1080Ti. No hurry in other words. I also like to see real benchmarks and some DX12 game results as well. Since I will be keeping most likely 2-3 years - don't want to buy something expensive at first and not have long term viability.
 

KickAssCop

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 19, 2003
Messages
6,928
Playing the wait and see on this one. Don't see myself buying the 1080 unless performance whilst overclocked is at least 25-30% over my current cards when overclocked.
 

misterbobby

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 18, 2014
Messages
3,814
I sold my 980 ti as I knew it was only going to be worth less as time goes on. I still think the stock 1070 will be no better than the stock 980 ti but once the non reference 1070s are out then its only going to hurt the overall view on the 980 tis value. I am just using a 750 ti that I bought for 88 bucks as a back up card so I will not feel desperate until I make my decision on what to buy next. I sure as hell will not be spending 700 bucks on the reference 1080.
 

RadXge

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
2,849
None of the above.

I sold my 980 ti and buying a 950. There are too few games that deserve a high-end setup nowadays.

I may consider a come back if better and more graphic demanding games are released (tired of poor console ports). I never thought I would say this but I miss the original Crysis.

Kudos to Nvidia, Pascal looks fantastic!
 

Sparky

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 9, 2000
Messages
3,333
I will plunge when the TI version comes out and is worth the price if it out performs my 980TI
 

5150Joker

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
4,569
I'm so excited, I just Sold my Oculous Rift on Ebay for $1150, both my 980s are on there at $270 and $265 right now. Hopefully ill be getting to 1080 Gtxs without spending much new money :)

Why sell the rift when you're about to get a card that takes advantage of it?
 

bildad

Gawd
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
729
I may get a 1080. Depends on the reviews. My 780ti's are getting a little long in the tooth. I'd prefer to wait for the 1080ti, but I don't know when that is coming and the 3GB of vram is a real problem at 1440p now so I'm not sure if I can hold out.
 

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 9, 2000
Messages
14,639
No, but I'd consider a 1070, depends on performance, if it really is ~980ti/titan-X level performance, then I would do it for that price.
 

Decibel

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 10, 2000
Messages
3,838
Can I log in a vote of neither?

Not gonna spend $600+ on a Gxx04 part, not gonna keep my 670, not gonna make a decision until the guys I trust are out of NDA and the reviews are posted.

Heck, if The Red Team isn't far off, I might wait a bit. Maybe give them a tiny push so they can keep circling the drain a little while longer...
 

Napoleon

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 27, 2003
Messages
1,035
I may get a 1080. Depends on the reviews. My 780ti's are getting a little long in the tooth. I'd prefer to wait for the 1080ti, but I don't know when that is coming and the 3GB of vram is a real problem at 1440p now so I'm not sure if I can hold out.

My GPU is pathetic so I will probably jump at a 1080 in 4Q16 once I find some more cash; however, depending on any announcements for prospective 1080 TI/Titan versions I may hold off for big pascal (GP10. I certainly won't 'need' the extra performance, but it's my first high end GPU in many years and I have a real job now :)

I recently got back into FPS (Overwatch) so I may purchase a higher refresh monitor and have need for the higher frames per second
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top