Will you buy a GTX 1080 and sell what you have now?

• Yes - buying a 1080, selling what I have now

Votes: 146 43.7%
  • No - Keeping what I have now (970. 980, 980 Ti, Titan Radeon, etc)

Votes: 188 56.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Na, don't need to. My 980 does just fine at the resolution I'm running. Will probably upgrade the generation after 1080 though.

I wonder if this vid will change the minds of anyone?

Doom 2016 with GeForce GTX 1080 Running on Vulkan.

Edit: Poll is flawed. There should be a 3rd option for those of us waiting on Bench's and AMD's offerings.

Last edited:
Looking good but I don't see anything amazing about pascal running it. Wonder what fps it gets on say a 970 oced or a 980 Ti uncapped...

Well if it's really 90 days (I'd confirm that if I were you) you have time to wait for benches. Otherwise, you're outside the return window anyway, so you either sell used at a loss or keep the 980Ti.
Yeah I guess that's true, but I belive them wen they say that 1070 is faster.

But I would wana know that my CC will refund it before I buy. and I wana buy on release .

What is Return Guarantee? | Discover

Says they do but I've never tried it before.

Looking good but I don't see anything amazing about pascal running it. Wonder what fps it gets on say a 970 oced or a 980 Ti uncapped...
Reading other sites, it seems when unlocked it averaged around 150fps and peaked at around 200fps with all settings maximised, although sounds like it was 1080p resolution due to constraints of the presentation display setup.
Using Vulkan, so will be interesting to compare those results with the other cards including from AMD.
Cheers

Reading other sites, it seems when unlocked it averaged around 150fps and peaked at around 200fps with all settings maximised, although sounds like it was 1080p resolution due to constraints of the presentation display setup.
Using Vulkan, so will be interesting to compare those results with the other cards including from AMD.
Cheers

I heard that, awesome if true. Just curious how our current cards will stack up.

It depends if a single 1080 beats my 980gtx sli.

If it does, i will buy two 1080 hehe
whats the point of that? if your 980gtx sli setup is beaten by a single card why by two 1080 cards and having to deal with sli profile? Unless ofcourse it serves no other purpose than bragging rights!

diablo.png

@ 3:37 “The hell rifts are closed, but it is of no matter. Soon there will be nothing left of these High Heavens. All creation will be the Realm of Terror!”

:rolleyes:

Reactions: N4CR
like this
At stock? Yes somewhat, but overclocked to a decent margin (i'e 4.2 and up) and you will be good.
He will not be good in parts of Crysis 3 dipping well under 60 and Watch Dogs stutters quite a bit if I turn off HT and just use 4 real cores. No way I would spend 600 bucks on a card that I could not fully push or get the best experience.

He will not be good in parts of Crysis 3 dipping well under 60 and Watch Dogs stutters quite a bit if I turn off HT and just use 4 real cores. No way I would spend 600 bucks on a card that I could not fully push or get the best experience.

I just noticed i5 I thought it said i7, but anyways, with the clocks up it will work alright, but 4c/4t at great clocks is beneficial.

Nope, the 1080 doesn't seem to be much if any of a performance jump from my Titan X's. Will wait on big Pascal before trading up.

My thoughts exactly. OC vs OC I don't expect miracles. I am more interested in the ti version now. If this thing really was 300 mm^2 and big pascal will be 600... I don't think I can help myself.

If I was infatuated with VR maybe I'd consider the 1080, but I want to wait a Gen or two.

Sold my xfire 290's a month or so ago anticipating this... very happy I sold when I did, once a nice MSI model of the 1080 comes out I'm jumping on it. Not even going to blink when I drop 600+ on my credit card when I do it either, it's going to be so much fun.

I feel sorry for the guys that are going to try to unload the 980s or Titans now. Used market price just got bombed. My main & new rig won't get updated any time soon, but if they make a short form factor 1070, I'll definitely update my Ncase SFF box. I'll wait to see what AMD ends up releasing as well as what the next Titan (or Ti) look like from Nvidia as well.

I just wish NVIDIA would have released the top end card first, not some mid range card priced at such a high price, but still curious to see how this card will fare against the current generation, and how much faster.

I feel sorry for the guys that are going to try to unload the 980s or Titans now. Used market price just got bombed. My main & new rig won't get updated any time soon, but if they make a short form factor 1070, I'll definitely update my Ncase SFF box. I'll wait to see what AMD ends up releasing as well as what the next Titan (or Ti) look like from Nvidia as well.
Uhh yep. Tanked harder than I would have ever guessed.

GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ $400.00
I see two Classy's at $450.

They've dropped about $100 in 24 hours. If the market stays saturated like this, they could get close to $300 by the time the 1080 launches. This is litecoin-crash territory.

Last edited:
1070 more likely interests me, although I'll wait for the Polaris 10 first before I do anything. That and the difference in price between FreeSync and GSync displays is quite large, which makes it more likely I'll stick with AMD this round, unless it's a big enough gap that I can justify the added expense of GSync (it's time for a monitor upgrade for me).

They've dropped about $100 in 24 hours. If the market stays saturated like this, they could get close to $300 by the time the 1080 launches. This is litecoin-crash territory.
2 980Ti used for $700? That'll do donkey, that'll do.

Reactions: N4CR
like this

where are you seeing these prices. Some links would be nice. I can't really seem to find any for that low price.

I saw a guy on another forum offload his for $300 apiece, lol. Sold extremely quickly.

It'd be funny if the 1080 isn't as much of a jump as NV's own benchmarks suggest. I don't think they were lying or anything, but there was a lot of effort not to give any straight numbers during that presentation.

I only had my 980ti for about 10 months going to keep it until 1080ti comes out unless that isn't much of a improvement. I'll never buy a Blower card again which was my 670gtx and 970gtx.

Last edited:
The fear is the upcoming drivers. Not that the 900 series will be 'gimped' persay, but snubbed in optimizations. I find that buying 300ish midrange and selling them before new cards is the smartest choice. 980ti will probably be my last highend gpu purchase for a long time until Intel buys ATI to stomp nvidia monopoly.

Do you think an i5-3570K would bottleneck with a 1080?

Depends entirely on the game. I had a 4.5 GHz 3570K and moved to a 4.6 GHz 6600K. Saw pretty big FPS increases in GTA V but not so much in others, using a 980 Ti. So for CPU bound games yeah it makes a difference but your 3570K should be perfectly fine for quite a while.

I will wait 1080 Ti since I have GTX980 Ti SLI.
Quite sad that on december 2016, to buy a GTX1080 Ti SLI I will need to sell of my cards for a ridiculous price.

No need. I don't play twitch shooters for perfect 144fps in everything maxed. And with G-sync I can even survive the 40fps@1440p with future games.

HBM2 cards are behind the corner, and I rather wait and save for Vega/whatever NV has next than spend the money right now for mediocre rewards in performance.

Besides, if I'd be to upgrade, then I'd do that in IMO July, when 1080Ti shows up to rain on 490x parade.

Nope
There has to be something worth replacing a 980ti with first.

I would buy 1080 depending on performance at 4k and 1440p

But sell? Nope, not worth the effort. Already short on time to enjoy gaming, not gonna waste it on getting a few bucks back. Besides, having spare cards is always a plus.

If I sell, I'd sell low as a favor to a friend, nothing beyond that.

Wasn't it the same for 780ti owners when 970 released ?

Edit: Poll is flawed. There should be a 3rd option for those of us waiting on Bench's and AMD's offerings.

Thanks for linking that. I'm sure some of us old schoolers here will remember Doom3 being a reason to upgrade our hardware and discussions of the sort right here at the [H] hahah. Amazing that it's like deja vu. Our endless pursuit of silky smooth 3D gfx. XD

Thanks for linking that. I'm sure some of us old schoolers here will remember Doom3 being a reason to upgrade our hardware and discussions of the sort right here at the [H] hahah. Amazing that it's like deja vu. Our endless pursuit of silky smooth 3D gfx. XD

Ha, you think Doom3 is old school? I couldn't play Doom2 on the 386 that I had! The frame rate was much too choppy! At least Doom played just fine :ROFLMAO:

Personally I wouldn't pay more than $350 for a used 980 Ti now given that the GTX 1070 is supposed to be Titan X performance for $380.

Its going to suck for all those people who bought a 980 Ti in the past month for $500+ just because they couldn't wait an imminent reveal. Going to take a fairly sizable loss if they're planning to upgrade.

20% percent faster than my OC 980ti that i bought in December for less than MSRP from jet... i'll wait for the ti version.

Same as most here, I have 980Ti and it runs everything I have great. I will wait for the HBM2 version (1080Ti ?) before I consider a card upgrade.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than $350 for a used 980 Ti now given that the GTX 1070 is supposed to be Titan X performance for $380.

Its going to suck for all those people who bought a 980 Ti in the past month for $500+ just because they couldn't wait an imminent reveal. Going to take a fairly sizable loss if they're planning to upgrade.
For 400$, the ACX 2.0 (at stock,without any consumer OC) is already ~8% faster than the Titan X.
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ 6 GB Review

We'll just have to wait and see how the 1070 really performs and see what its real price will be (i.e. Founders card vs non-Founders availability).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back