Will you buy a GTX 1080 and sell what you have now?

• Yes - buying a 1080, selling what I have now

Votes: 146 43.7%
  • No - Keeping what I have now (970. 980, 980 Ti, Titan Radeon, etc)

Votes: 188 56.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
YES.

Selling 2 980Ti's with HG10 N980 cooler adapters for 2 GTX 1080 Founders cards

I'll go for a Ti version of the 1070 or 1080 if my 980Ti struggles with ME 4 and DE MD. I'm not a 4K framerate whore. If i can get smooth performance at 1080p, I'll stick with what I have.

Nope. I'll see what AMD has to offer and then decide if I even want to upgrade after that. Personally I think I'm going to wait for the HBM2 cards.

I only have a Kepler-based GTX 670 and I've been waiting for Pascal for a long time. I committed to skipping Maxwell because I was betting on Pascal being the next big thing. I ended up waiting longer than I planned as a result of that commitment because NVidia kept pushing Maxwell for over 2 years... I was expecting to have something in my hands by the end of 2015.

I think I've been patient enough, although I will make sure that my PSU has enough headroom for a 1070 or 1080.

I'll definitely be getting one, but dunno about selling my 980, I like to keep my old cards for some reason! :p

Will definitely wait to see what custom PCBs the OEMs bring first though, and probably jump ship from Asus to Gigabyte. Gigabyte seemed to own Maxwell in terms of wreaking overclocks, whereas Asus's offerings were all voltage hard locked, despite having solder points. Guess Asus got slapped by nvidia at some point. :eek:

How long after launch do we usually hear about custom designs?

I only have a Kepler-based GTX 670 and I've been waiting for Pascal for a long time. I committed to skipping Maxwell because I was betting on Pascal being the next big thing. I ended up waiting longer than I planned as a result of that commitment because NVidia kept pushing Maxwell for over 2 years... I was expecting to have something in my hands by the end of 2015.

I think I've been patient enough, although I will make sure that my PSU has enough headroom for a 1070 or 1080.

Unless you mean SLI your PSU is more than enough, the power efficiency of those new cards is crazy. Either way it will be a great upgrade for you.

I will probably grab a 1080 at launch and sell my 980Ti. Going to be playing Witcher 3 at 1440p 144Hz in a couple months and I will want every extra frame I can get without going SLI. I recently sold a bunch of unused hardware for the express purpose of funding this, so between that and selling the 980Ti it will be covered. When the 1080Ti drops, nVidia can take more of my money! I am hopelessly addicted to that new card smell.

Last edited:
If a 20% performance (or higher), I'll probably buy it. If less, I'll wait until a Titan/TI version. Hopefully the reviews come out before the preorder page does.

according to NVIDIA's chart, it's 70% faster than a 980 in Witcher 3 at 1600p max settings which translates to being 27% faster than a stock 980 Ti. if this is really how it will perform, and if it overclocks decently, i'm almost assuredly going to sell my 980 Ti and buy a 1080 for ~$200.

hmm... I'm tempted to get a pair of 1080 GTXs to replace my 780 GTXs in SLI, but I'm concerned that my z170 8 x 8 pcie will bottleneck it though... That being said... I don't know how much I'll benefit from it though, as I'll probably be still using my 1080p TV for quite some time. =/

What does the founders edition shroud do?

From what I've read it turbos higher and comes with the reference cooler. Also, probably has green glowing "geforce gtx" leds like previous reference cards.

I am considering selling my 980Tis, but then I'd be in a minimum realistically of $250 more (doubt I'll get more than $500 per card for mine) after tax and all. I've seen a few of the preliminary figures, but it doesn't seem there are any real, reliable benches out there yet. I am extremely suspicious of the "2x as fast as a Titan X" talk. That hasn't happened in any previous generation, in so far as I'm concerned.

As I understand it, many of the "2x" claims are VR only?

Last edited:
I'm in a weird spot. I bought a 980 ti a month ago from staples for $518, seeing the $380 GTX 1070 say better than a titan x means better than a 980 ti too.

I don't think I can return it to staples since its been over a month, but I think I can call my credit card company, they have a 90 day return for things, up to $500. Really not sure what to do atm, wish there were benchmarks. You guys think I should try the CC return?

Well if it's really 90 days (I'd confirm that if I were you) you have time to wait for benches. Otherwise, you're outside the return window anyway, so you either sell used at a loss or keep the 980Ti.

Last edited:
I am considering selling my 980Tis, but then I'd be in a minimum realistically of $250 more (doubt I'll get more than $500 per card for mine)

You're not going to get anywhere close to $500.00 per card...look at the FS section..the selloff has already begun and the longer you keep those cards the worse it will be.
Its a buyers market , and will continue to be so.

You're not going to get anywhere close to $500.00 per card...look at the FS section..the selloff has already begun and the longer you keep those cards the worse it will be.

Agreed.

I will be getting a 1080 most likely. As far as selling what I have now.... We will see. I'm not sure my GTX 460's have much value these days. :asearch:

No. I would not pay $600 for a midrange card. I will wait for Big Pascal/Vega before making a decision.

I want 4k 60fps maxed settings 1 card.

Now the 1070 GTX might be worth it to hold me over. Sell some of my old cards, could easily get $380.
1080 Ti will probably go for $750. Ouch.

As I understand it, many of the "2x" claims are VR only?

Yes due to the single path stereo rendering or whatever they called it in Pascal.

Which is great but I need to read the reviews both VR and otherwise before I make a decision to dump my card.

I really thought the triple monitor perspective shifting was awesome.

Buying a 1080 "Founders Edition" is interesting. Personally, I'll have to see the benchmarks, async compute, and then maybe have to wait and see what AMD offers. But I will need to do something in the not to distant future, to better feed my 4k screen.

Will be picking up one of the two, waiting on reviews before making that decision though. Am running a HD7850 still (carried over from my old machine when I built this new system a month & a half ago) waiting on these cards, so that'll just be going on the shelf. I want to upgrade to a 1440p 21:9 display so hoping the 1080 has it covered for what I play, otherwise I'll go 1070 and wait til next year for the monitor upgrade.

From what I've seen with Fury X, it would be better for me (4k gaming) to wait on HBM cards.
I will not swap my SLI 980Ti for 1080. Not sure even for 1080Ti. Unless it's at least twice as fast.
Im eyeing Volta.

Strongly considering it, but I want to see some gaming benchmarks (especially in 4K) first.
I'll need to get at least $300 out of my 980 to do it, too.

Hell yes!!! Anyone knows how much are 8yo Kids going these days on the black market?

Tempted to replace my two 980s with two 1080s but I think back to how many games i've played over the last couple of years which have blatantly omitted SLI support and think.....nah.

I'll wait for the inevitable 1080 Ti and re-evaluate then.

Tempted to replace my two 980s with two 1080s but I think back to how many games i've played over the last couple of years which have blatantly omitted SLI support and think.....nah.

I'll wait for the inevitable 1080 Ti and re-evaluate then.

You've nailed down the heart of it!

Yes due to the single path stereo rendering or whatever they called it in Pascal.

Which is great but I need to read the reviews both VR and otherwise before I make a decision to dump my card.

I really thought the triple monitor perspective shifting was awesome.

If it's VR helpful with things like Oculus launching, will only be beneficial to Nvidia and this card. Excellent marketing strategy.

Why? They were originally $650+ and we still don't have benchmarks on the new cards. The leaked 3D Mark performance shows it's barely better than my overclocked 980 Ti. Unless you know something we don't...

Why? They were originally $650+ and we still don't have benchmarks on the new cards. The leaked 3D Mark performance shows it's barely better than my overclocked 980 Ti. Unless you know something we don't...

The original cost is irrelevant. If those benchmarks prove to be accurate, the value will be lost

no one in their right mind will be paying $500.00 for a 2nd hand card . I would go so far as to say that anyone looking to sell without taking a huge loss has probably already missed their window.

Not voting because it's not even a decision until we have actual benchmarks.

Going to try to keep my non-Ti SLi 980s until the next generation after this one, but if there's some sort of killer app - especially with VR - then I might give in.

Not voting because it's not even a decision until we have actual benchmarks.

Going to try to keep my non-Ti SLi 980s until the next generation after this one, but if there's some sort of killer app - especially with VR - then I might give in.

Doesn't Doom 4 ship with VR support? I know Carmack and Oculus were working on it...

The original cost is irrelevant. If those benchmarks prove to be accurate, the value will be lost

no one in their right mind will be paying $500.00 for a 2nd hand card . I would go so far as to say that anyone looking to sell without taking a huge loss has probably already missed their window.

Yep, that's why I sold my Titan X's while I could still get 75-80% of the new cost out of them. Buy early and sell early is my motto for video cards. I'll buy the 1080 and then sell it a month or two ahead of the new Titan/Vega........rinse and repeat each new generation.

Nope, not buying a 1080. I'll wait for the Pascal Titan version. I know I won't get much for the Titan X but that is the way it is and it does not bother me.

Like others,
seeing how well the 980ti did makes me want to hold out for a 1080ti....
Going to be annoying if we have to wait a year lol, which makes me think of going for a 1080,,,,,
So will wait 3 months and see what news comes out then about any potential 1080ti and also by then we will have a good feel of the Pascal architecture in real world games.
In 3 months we should have some nice custom AIBs.
The other consideration is whether they will upgrade quietly to the 12Gb/s GDDR5X memory when it goes into full production (I think 12Gb/s went into sampling status March).
Cheers

Nope, the 1080 doesn't seem to be much if any of a performance jump from my Titan X's. Will wait on big Pascal before trading up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back