Will you buy a GTX 1080 and sell what you have now?

• Yes - buying a 1080, selling what I have now

Votes: 146 43.7%
  • No - Keeping what I have now (970. 980, 980 Ti, Titan Radeon, etc)

Votes: 188 56.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I wouldn't pay more than $350 for a used 980 Ti now given that the GTX 1070 is supposed to be Titan X performance for $380.
Totally. Would be pretty attractive if they got down south of $300 though.

I have a 970 and to be honest, quite happy with it. I'm going to wait another year and just upgrade my whole system. IF I NEED IT.

I am selling what I have now but at the same time I am not committed to buying a 1080 yet. I will wait and see what both companies offer after independent reviewers get to review them.

Don't kid yourself, you're gonna need it.

I can agree with that 100xs over.

I'll wait for the ti, then use my current 980ti for my laptop.

I'm starting to wonder... since the OC 980 ti's are about 30% faster than a titan x as seen below, 104fps-->136, how much faster (or slower?) would a 1080 be from that OC'd 980ti? and how much faster would an OCd 1080 vs this OCd 980ti would be as well. We don't think that it will be above a 30% jump from a regular 980ti would we? that would make an OCd one equal to a 1080-non OC.

perf_oc.png

Last edited:
Based on current info an OC'd 980 Ti will match a stock clocked 1080 (Founder's Edition?).
Which means if we assume Pascal overclocks as good as Maxwell does, it will still end up 20-30% faster.

whats the point of that? if your 980gtx sli setup is beaten by a single card why by two 1080 cards and having to deal with sli profile? Unless ofcourse it serves no other purpose than bragging rights!
to get the bets performance out of two cards

Yes. I've been waiting for the 1080 to come out for a while now as my single 980 hasn't been enough lately. I didn't want to go SLI since 4GB is too little these days, and I felt the 980TI was overpriced given that it wasn't a generational leap over the 980.

Anyone with 970 SLI setup tempted to upgrade to a single 1080? I wanted to wait until Pascal Ti, but if 1080 real life performance is 20% to 30% faster than 980 ti (which is roughly equivalent to 970 SLI setup) then I may upgrade early...

Based on current info an OC'd 980 Ti will match a stock clocked 1080 (Founder's Edition?).
Which means if we assume Pascal overclocks as good as Maxwell does, it will still end up 20-30% faster.
We really don't know; they compared a stock Titan X to a stock 1080. There is strong indication that the 1080 will continue the 980ti's tradition of great overclockability though.

We really don't know; they compared a stock Titan X to a stock 1080. There is strong indication that the 1080 will continue the 980ti's tradition of great overclockability though.
It's really important. Actually I don't even care how the 1080 performs stock.

None of us do. That's why we don't place much faith in powerpoint presentations, we're all waiting for real reviews.

I have 2x GTX 980 watercooled so I am skipping this one and waiting for the Ti model.

YEAH I CANT WAIT TO SELL WHAT I HAVE FOR SOMETHING THATS NOT RELEASED AND THOROUGHLY TESTED AND BENCHMARKED

No. Waiting for GP100 and HBM2.

And I have never sold any video card in my entire lifetime. I like collecting them.
Anyone with 970 SLI setup tempted to upgrade to a single 1080? I wanted to wait until Pascal Ti, but if 1080 real life performance is 20% to 30% faster than 980 ti (which is roughly equivalent to 970 SLI setup) then I may upgrade early...
If history is any indication, the Ti variant is going to be another 60% faster on top of that. So if you wait another 6 months you'll (actually) potentially get double the performance.

The original cost is irrelevant. If those benchmarks prove to be accurate, the value will be lost

no one in their right mind will be paying $500.00 for a 2nd hand card . I would go so far as to say that anyone looking to sell without taking a huge loss has probably already missed their window.

Shit, just in the past few days since the announcement, used prices have dropped nearly $50 and the forum is being flooded with them. Lol @ anyone thinking they're getting anywhere near what they paid for there 980ti, ESPECIALLY if what has been said of the 1070/1080 ends up being true.

Just sold my sli 970s for 400 bucks. Only paid 480 for them so I'm ok with the loss. I game on a 40inch 4k curved samsung and the 970s were running out of ram. So off they went I'll probably pick up 2 1070s and over clock the crap out of them :).

Other - Hopefully using EVGA step-up program. I have until 6/11 so i'll be cutting it close. If i miss the window, i'll wait for the 1080ti as my 980ti is solid enough for now. I'm just happy I sold my 780s in March for $450.

Not likely. It probably won't be any faster than my TITAN X cards in games on a monitor, 3440x1440 resolution. I am skipping VR this generation, so based on the information available right now I have zero reason to buy 1080 SLI. I'll wait for big Pascal at the earliest, and I'll probably skip that for Volta.

Last edited:
Nope, local.
I wouldn't screw over anybody on this forum. Not that I would even try...
Eh. Your buyer's not really screwed over if they're happy with their purchase, which they will be for still a good part of this year, unlike us cave-dwellers on this forum that would be bothered by what's on the horizon. ;) Anyway, nice flip!

No. Waiting for GP100 and HBM2.

And I have never sold any video card in my entire lifetime. I like collecting them.

If history is any indication, the Ti variant is going to be another 60% faster on top of that. So if you wait another 6 months you'll (actually) potentially get double the performance.

True, and good point if Ti is out within next six months it will be totally worth the wait. I was under impression that I would have to wait another year for Ti.

I'm thinking the 1080 ti will be a 8 gb hbm version of the 16gb titan hbm with slightly less cuda cores. Basically titan version is a rip off.

Holding on to my G1 980Ti @ 1.5ghz until the best 1080 Ti version hits.

I will keep my 680s and use them in my old system if i choose to replace them. But until I see real reviews, my current setup gets the job done. I may hang on using them in my current system a little while longer.

Waiting to see if the Titan Y (or whatever they call it) is anything to write home about.

Quick question, Nvidia has posted specs of their Pascal tesla product, now that we have a better idea of clockspeed/performance ratios of the 10 series, maybe we can speculate a bit in the eventual Titan Y.

Since I'm really considering going VR for the sims I play, I think it'll be time for me to upgrade from my dual 680s. Plus I have a wonderful backlog I need some inspiration to get through, and a 1080/70 might be the push I need! I'm in no rush though - Oculus is on backlog to at least August, and I'll need to see how the 1070 fares, if it's worth the extra moolah to go with the 1080.

I wouldn't mind going back to a single card either. SLI hasn't really been an issue for me, just a nuisance, once in awhile. Mainly with the extra steps needed on driver updates. Though it seems NVIDIA has made the process less painful recently.

Probably not. My current 980Ti Classified has a pretty high ASIC and is plenty for the games I play at 1080p w/144 Hz.

A 1080Ti may change my mind, but that's going to depend on what kind of price tag nVidia places on it, max power draw, and typical load temps...I'm working with a uATX system, so the lower the better.

I'll likely hold off for the Pascal successor.

I will be selling my GTX 780 Ti SLI cards once the 1080 Ti is released. These cards have done me well for the past two years so I don't mind the hit that I will take when it comes to selling, if they pay for half of the new card by the time it's released then I'll still be happy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back