Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Mostly interesting for information on development, but there is some other stuff in there. The game had a team of 300 people by the end, that is crazy.

What do you guys think of being able to take on the final boss right off the bat? I have mixed feelings about it. One thing that I don't like is, how do you develop a story leading up to the final boss if you can fight him from the start? That seems like there's no real story being told about WHO the final boss might be. Maybe I'm overthinking.

Man, Skyward Sword kinda lost my interest in Zelda but this game....holy crap, looks beautiful.

What do you guys think of being able to take on the final boss right off the bat? I have mixed feelings about it. One thing that I don't like is, how do you develop a story leading up to the final boss if you can fight him from the start? That seems like there's no real story being told about WHO the final boss might be. Maybe I'm overthinking.

Man, Skyward Sword kinda lost my interest in Zelda but this game....holy crap, looks beautiful.

Sounds like they are going the more Skyrim approach. I’m imagining the boss will be very challenging if you head straight there. So you can do it but I doubt the average player would want to. I’m not sure how I feel about the openness yet. I’m sure it will be a great game and experience but will it feel like a Zelda game? Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

FYI…I loved Skyward Sword. No it’s not the best Zelda but I thought it was a great game still.

Can't wait until they speed run this. I've never played a Zelda game in my life, but for some reason I LOVE watching speed runs of it...especially 100% speed runs. No idea why...

A month way... it's the shortest month, but it's still an entire month :(

People bitching about the launch must not have gotten a launch PS4. I did, and it didn't work for 2 days, online play didn't work for a week or two later for BF4(the only game i bought).

A month way... it's the shortest month, but it's still an entire month :(

March is probably going to be my gaming month of the year. Switch, Zelda, Mass Effect, and South Park all in the same month. And then there is Persona 5 coming April 4th. :smug:

Best part about this game release is that you don't need a switch. Sure, it looks better on it - But this game was coded from the ground up originally for the Wii U and still looks good on it.

Best part about this game release is that you don't need a switch. Sure, it looks better on it - But this game was coded from the ground up originally for the Wii U and still looks good on it.

You don't know that.

Has anyone even had a hands on with the wii-u version?

You don't know that.

There is video showing off the graphics. Not sure any talk about the controls. I can't imagine it being that different though. Wouldn't be the first time this happen if the Wii U version ends up better. Twilight Princess was much better on Gamecube than Wii. The tacked on waggle controls was just horrible.

I actually liked the waggle controls on TP. ***ducks*** You don't really need to even waggle it that much. Just a tiny flick does it, so you don't have to be silly like people in commercials wildly swinging around. :D Sure buttons and pads are nice, but I didn't find it distracting, and actually liked the motion controls when it came to aiming ranged weapons and tools. That more than made up for the swordplay. Skyward Sword handled it much better though with the Wii Motion Plus. It was actually kind of fun angling the sword and chopping the bamboo and such. (and pumpkins) :D I actually really like Skyward Sword. It's no Windwaker, Ocarina, or Twilight, but it was still a very good game.

I think the openness on the BotW will be fine. Hopefully there's a little extra context when you try to do something out of order. Sure, you can go somewhere early and get killed right away, but hopefully they provided some cues that maybe that's the way you're headed (without giving you a giant arrow warning you to go the other way).

You don't know that.

This is exactly why I'm waiting for it to be released before buying to make sure the performance is decent on the Wii-U. You never know what differences there might be in performance. Better safe than sorry. lol

March is probably going to be my gaming month of the year. Switch, Zelda, Mass Effect, and South Park all in the same month. And then there is Persona 5 coming April 4th. :smug:

Persona 5 is fantastic, by the way :). If you loved the last few, you'll love this one even more.

Just pre-ordered the Special Edition (finally was available again online). I'm ready!

I actually liked the waggle controls on TP. ***ducks*** You don't really need to even waggle it that much. Just a tiny flick does it, so you don't have to be silly like people in commercials wildly swinging around. :D Sure buttons and pads are nice, but I didn't find it distracting, and actually liked the motion controls when it came to aiming ranged weapons and tools. That more than made up for the swordplay. Skyward Sword handled it much better though with the Wii Motion Plus. It was actually kind of fun angling the sword and chopping the bamboo and such. (and pumpkins) :D I actually really like Skyward Sword. It's no Windwaker, Ocarina, or Twilight, but it was still a very good game.

I think the openness on the BotW will be fine. Hopefully there's a little extra context when you try to do something out of order. Sure, you can go somewhere early and get killed right away, but hopefully they provided some cues that maybe that's the way you're headed (without giving you a giant arrow warning you to go the other way).

TP I hated it since it felt so tacked on. Which it was since TP was delayed to be ported to Wii. I will agree, Skyward Sword is a great game and one of the few where motion control works well. It's a shame Nintendo and especially 3rd parties couldn't have showcased motion controls like these early on. It would have had a much bigger chance of catching on I think.

TP I hated it since it felt so tacked on. Which it was since TP was delayed to be ported to Wii. I will agree, Skyward Sword is a great game and one of the few where motion control works well. It's a shame Nintendo and especially 3rd parties couldn't have showcased motion controls like these early on. It would have had a much bigger chance of catching on I think.

Something on the level of Skyward Sword simply wasn't possible early on in the Wii's life. The motion controls early on were incredibly imprecise and the more subtle motions Skyward Sword asked for required the motion plus.

Something on the level of Skyward Sword simply wasn't possible early on in the Wii's life. The motion controls early on were incredibly imprecise and the more subtle motions Skyward Sword asked for required the motion plus.

I know. You had to have the Wii-motion Plus just to get the full experience. It's just a shame that wasn't the experience everyone got right out on release. Everyone likes to bash motion controls but that was one of the few times it proved it has a place.

This is exactly why I'm waiting for it to be released before buying to make sure the performance is decent on the Wii-U. You never know what differences there might be in performance. Better safe than sorry. lol
Same here, I'm in no rush.

I just went ahead and pre-ordered it for my Wii-U. Switch looks cool but I don't have the money for a whole new system if I don't absolutely have to buy it. I understand there are some differences, but they really don't seem like that big a deal.

The EDGE review and the sheer expansiveness of the game swayed me, and I don't see the price of the game dropping for either system any time soon, so I just went ahead and pre-ordered to ensure I got a copy in a timely manner despite all the negative connotations that go along with that.

Wii U copies have been spotted in the wild:
It's possible the game will be leaked before release on Friday given that the PAL install files were already obtained from the Nintendo file servers earlier this week.

Dang. Wanted to preorder from Amazon right now. Disc version for WiiU for the $48 for prime peoples. Looks like they're not taking the orders. Thought I missed the boat from last week, but I do see some hub bub about supply of the game to Amazon of the switch version etc. I don't know I would get it regardless. I guess I can go digital for $60 and just use the anemic space on the WiiU. I only have a couple small digital purchases (shovel knight etc), and game saves. This probably the last new thing I'll ever get for it. Ugh.

edit: Seems they fixed it. I was able to preorder. Read some people get their preordered games on release day. I guess otherwise I will get Sunday delivery hopefully (friday release + 2 days).

Last edited:
Game has been leaked online. Watch out for spoilers if you care about that sort of thing.

What is with the shitty white haze everywhere? Needs a good SweetFX/Reshade treatment... Looks so much better without it.
They maybe did that in part so you can play it handheld on a lower brightness setting and still see the darker scenes. Just a theory. Would be cool to see a "vivid" color setting like we see in some other games.

Is anyone else in the same boat as me with the Switch, in that this is the only game worth caring about, for now anyway? I only want to play this, and looking through the list of games that have been confirmed (to be released at some point this year) and not confirmed...Mario is the only other one. I'm not entirely sure if I'm providing some sort of justification to myself to not get the Switch now (or at least, wait until Mario is out too).

I realize I'm just bitching to a degree, because even the great N64 had basically just Mario at launch, but then again, I only really wanted to play Mario...(and Zelda eventually).

Is anyone else in the same boat as me with the Switch, in that this is the only game worth caring about, for now anyway? I only want to play this, and looking through the list of games that have been confirmed (to be released at some point this year) and not confirmed...Mario is the only other one. I'm not entirely sure if I'm providing some sort of justification to myself to not get the Switch now (or at least, wait until Mario is out too).

Kind of feeling that. 1-2 Switch looks like dumb fun with friends and family. Some indie games interest me. Not much else past the Zelda/Mario stuff.

for me it's Zelda (if good reviews) and Skyrim (because I've never played it)

some virtual console titties might interest me too...

I realize I'm just bitching to a degree, because even the great N64 had basically just Mario at launch, but then again, I only really wanted to play Mario...(and Zelda eventually).

As far as retail games go the ones I really want are:

Zelda
Splatoon 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario
Xenoblade 2

That's a fairly decent amount of games I want from the first year of a console. Then there are a handful of interesting looking indie titles that might be worth picking up as well.

Kind of feeling that. 1-2 Switch looks like dumb fun with friends and family. Some indie games interest me. Not much else past the Zelda/Mario stuff.

I'm almost telling myself right now that the main reason I want the Switch, is to just have it at launch (I buy all consoles at launch. Whether they get sold or not is kind of a tossup, depending on how much use they get). Damn these first world problems.

As far as retail games go the ones I really want are:

Zelda
Splatoon 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario
Xenoblade 2

That's a fairly decent amount of games I want from the first year of a console. Then there are a handful of interesting looking indie titles that might be worth picking up as well.

Fire Emblem does appeal to me, you have me there. I suppose I'm just spoiled by the fact that there are so many games in my backlog, and I keep adding to it just because I can/the games are available for purchase right now.

Cemu can load up to the title screen. Guess I'll be playing it in a month or a so at 1920x1200 ;)

As always I'm looking forward to this one... Oh, anyone who wants to play recent Zelda titles before tackling Breath of the Wild, you probably know of other popular emulators for older systems, but here are a few for more recent Nintendo titles that are actually real, working emulators - not scams and viruses!

www.cemu.info - This is a working, WiiU emulator that will likely be open sourced in the future. While it is not yet "mostly flawless"; some games still have bugs and whatnot, for many titles it is playable. Check out the subReddit /r/cemu for frequent info. Both Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD are playable at full speed (with minor bugs; TP has "flickery" characters for instance) as of version 1.7.2. Cemu's 1.7.x branch just recently got the ability to offer shareable texture packs which are already being for certain games.

www.dolphin-emu.org - This is the venerable, open source Wii / Gamecube emulator capable of playing most titles on the console near perfectly. For Skyward Sword, this is the place to go! Of course, Wind Waker GC and Twilight Princess Wii can be played here and glitch free, but looking on the Zelda Wiki there are some mechanics changes in the HD releases of these titles that make them more playable so I'd check the WiiU variants first. Oh and for a "Zelda-like" title to get you in the mood, check out "Okami" - its beautiful and plays well! Dolphin is capable of playing all Wii/GC titles at upscaled resolutions from 1080p to 4K and individual games have texture packs and mods available in this very mature scene.

Finally, if anyone here is purchasing the Breath of the Wild Special or Master Editions, I am interested in purchasing just the Sheikah Slate case for the Switch. If anyone wants to recoup a couple of bucks, PM me and I'll take it off your hands.

An interesting note I've noticed in a few reviews of the Switch hardware that went up today is that several of them noticed the game actually ran better in mobile mode. Apparently, the change to 900p when the console is docked hurts the performance noticeably.

Shitty Amazon just updated my Wii U preorder to not be delivered until the end of next week. So much for preordering with prime the day it was available. Canceled that shit. Maybe I can grab a copy at Walmart.

That's why I decided to go with the digital download code. I probably would have rather had the disc - something tangible - but I ordered the strategy guide too, so I'll have a physical version of that anyway. I have the space on my Wii U (barely) so I just went for digital to have it on day one.

Yeah Amazon says my WiiU game will ship on the 3rd, and I'll have it on the 7th. Strange 2 day shipping time for them! Weekend doesn't count I guess. Got to start flipping some of my games. The $48 plus a disc to flip is worth waiting for I guess. Hrmph. I ordered Horizon for PS4 so I'd have something for this weekend, and I'll flip that too. I can't complain as much as others though I ordered Zelda beginning of this week. I bought a ton of controllers at the height of smash, but the little gaming parties stopped. Thought maybe they'd continue the portability of the controllers from one system to the next. Especially those pro controllers. Trying to be at least a little smarter and still scratch the itch. I don't know I will get the new Nintendo (pun intentionally avoided). :p

Last edited:

This review goes over a lot of things both positive and negative. I don't think I've ever been this excited to play a Zelda game since A Link to the Past.

Back