Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Shitty Amazon just updated my Wii U preorder to not be delivered until the end of next week. So much for preordering with prime the day it was available. Canceled that shit. Maybe I can grab a copy at Walmart.

ouch. I hope they don't do that to me. I even waited until Jan. to order. My status still says it's shipping today. This is my first time doing a pre-order with Amazon.
*keeping my fingers crossed*
pre-order.png

ouch. I hope they don't do that to me. I even waited until Jan. to order. My status still says it's shipping today. This is my first time doing a pre-order with Amazon.
View attachment 18336

I usually get day of when I pre-order something, but you have to make sure to choose 2-day shipping to get it day of.

oh I did choose the 2-day shipping. I'm just surprised they still haven't shipped.
It would make sense to get the orders shipped out 3days in advance. Then amazon could have reduced shipping charges by selecting 3-day shipping with Fedex/UPS.

By shipping it the day before it's released, they have to fork over for 1-day delivery to those who pre-ordered.

I haven't been this excited about a game since Diablo 3. (which was a huge letdown to me)

oh I did choose the 2-day shipping. I'm just surprised they still haven't shipped.
It would make sense to get the orders shipped out 3days in advance. Then amazon could have reduced shipping charges by selecting 3-day shipping with Fedex/UPS.

By shipping it the day before it's released, they have to fork over for 1-day delivery to those who pre-ordered.

I haven't been this excited about a game since Diablo 3. (which was a huge letdown to me)

In my experience, Amazon often ends up overnighting things for their 2day shipping for whatever reason.

You're right, I just went into my email history and saw that most of the items I pre-ordered did in fact ship the day before (shipping confirmation exactly one day before). Interesting.

You're right, I just went into my email history and saw that most of the items I pre-ordered did in fact ship the day before (shipping confirmation exactly one day before). Interesting.

They must have a good reason for paying for overnight shipping and waiting until the day before. It just doesn't make sense.
The only reason I can imagine them waiting is if they don't have the products on hand. But if you've done many pre-orders and they're all consistently shipped out the day before, there is definitely cost-savings by processing the orders and getting them shipped 3 days before. That way the shipping charges they incur are lower than what they pay for overnight.

They must have a good reason for paying for overnight shipping and waiting until the day before. It just doesn't make sense.
The only reason I can imagine them waiting is if they don't have the products on hand. But if you've done many pre-orders and they're all consistently shipped out the day before, there is definitely cost-savings by processing the orders and getting them shipped 3 days before. That way the shipping charges they incur are lower than what they pay for overnight.

Might be some legal stuff about making sure people don't accidentally get it early or whatever, but for the past few years of my Prime membership, I've had the same thing happen with even random non-streetdated items. I have to assume they've determined it's somehow more efficient for them to do overnights than we'd think it would be.

Good review worth watching:

It's the Wii U version. Basically it has long loading times and suffers from so bad pop-in and stuff, but it depends really if you prefer linear or open world type games.

Picked it up a little while ago for the Wii U. Booted it up, waited for the install, started for a few minutes. It's obviously too much game for the Wii U to handle, but it still plays and it's pretty cool. I'm not convinced enough to get the Switch, so this was a good trade-off. I do find it odd that it's taking such a performance hit - I don't recall seeing as much of it in Xenoblade Chronicles X and they're similar. Other gripe, but expected, is that my 150" screen really does highlight the resolution weakness - only thing Switch-wise that I find regrettable.

Between this and Horizon, I'm a happy camper right now.

Another 30fps title :( I'll just have to deal i guess.

Apparently docked performance is not as good as portable performance. It can't handle the higher pixels and drops below 20fps. It has been widely reported. I haven't tried the dock yet.

Apparently docked performance is not as good as portable performance. It can't handle the higher pixels and drops below 20fps. It has been widely reported. I haven't tried the dock yet.

While its true the fps is dropping on docked mode, DigitalFoundry found no rhythm or reason for the drop in their comparison video (i.e. you could get 30 fps in one area thats teeming with activity but if you returned shortly after leaving the fps could drop even though there is less happening).

So, to me, this sounds like some sort of software bug or issue vs maxing out the hardware performance.

I'm not a Nintendo apologist just pointing some things out. ;)

I heard the day one patch fixed it but again I haven't tried it...yet. I am busting out the pro controller as soon as I get off work.

I heard the day one patch fixed it but again I haven't tried it...yet. I am busting out the pro controller as soon as I get off work.

The Digital Foundry video mentions they have all the Day 1 updates applied before testing.

Game runs fine in dock mode w/ Switch set to 1080p. There are occasional slowdowns in very particular situations that I believe will also eventually be patched, but the large majority of the time the game runs very smooth and it frankly runs way better then a lot of titles I've played on the PS4/Xboxone. I would guess all slowdown could be completely eliminated if you force the Switch to output to 720p, and the quality loss is fairly minimal depending on how good your HDTV scales.

And yeah - I had to cancel my Amazon Pre-order. It was 9AM my time and the cheaper amazon preorder price wasn't worth waiting another week. At 3PM they had still yet to ship the damn thing so I was able to cancel the order.

Last edited:
I bought this on Wii U and for the most part it runs at 30fps.. I have seen a few dips.

But so far this game is awesome. It's like the original with new stuff... I love it.

While its true the fps is dropping on docked mode, DigitalFoundry found no rhythm or reason for the drop in their comparison video (i.e. you could get 30 fps in one area thats teeming with activity but if you returned shortly after leaving the fps could drop even though there is less happening).

So, to me, this sounds like some sort of software bug or issue vs maxing out the hardware performance.

I'm not a Nintendo apologist just pointing some things out. ;)

That's good news. If it doesn't seem to have anything to do with what's on screen, then it sounds like it could definitely just be something that could potentially be patched.

I haven't tried it docked, yet, because I was having issues with the left joycon not staying connected. Honestly, the joycon issue worries me more than the framerate loss. I hope that it's fixable via some firmware, or Nintendo is going to have to be giving out a lot of free left joycons in the future.

I'm getting the Zelda Special Edition today but my Switch doesn't arrive until Monday. Not a huge deal as I work weekends anyways so I can wait. At least a friend got one yesterday so I'll have a chance to check it out before mine arrives.

Definitely not worth buying a Switch if you have a Wii U. They are practically the same besides the resolution difference.

I caved and got the digital copy for my WiiU, first console game I've bought in almost 20 years! Also the first time I've paid a full $60 for a game in a long time.

Haven't used the WiiU in like 2 years, I turned on the gamepad and the screen is totally fucked. Rows of dead pixels. Good thing this game doesn't use it...

Lots going on with this game ... Way more then I thought. Got to a town and discovered you can buy a house. Unaware to the extent of the implications of that.

The scope of this game continues to surprise me. The deeper you get into it the better it gets as it slowly unveils new layers of complexity that I never thought Nintendo would deliver.

Last edited:
Note that the official Strategy Guide (piggyback published; they usually make good guides) is currently available on Amazon in paperback again, and is pre-order ready if you want the Collector's Edition hardcover!

Note: Anyone who has the Special Edition, I am willing to purchase the Sheikah Slate Switch Case that is included! Just PM me if you're willing to selll and we can make a deal that will help to recoup a bit of the costs of your CE!

I almost didn't open my Switch and Zelda copy, but now I'm glad I did. I'm really loving this game! I haven't felt this engrossed with a game since maybe the first time I played through the Last of Us and maybe Fallout 4. After about 8 hours of game play, I can already tell this is going to be an even better experience. I feel like Nintendo took the good from games like Fallout 3 & 4, Uncharted, and maybe a little bit from WoW and mixed it together perfectly with the Zelda elements we all know and love.

Has anyone found a complete map of Seed locations yet? IGN has one but it's missing about half of them.
I was climbing a cliff in the middle of fucking nowhere and just grabbed a random boulder -- seed popped out.

Also unrelated, I am continuously impressed with how much Nintendo can squeeze out of their hardware. I can't even imagine what this game would've been like if it was developed for PC or even the PS4/XBO. There must be some kind of black magic happening to get this game to run on WiiU, just got to the kokiri forest area and it is stunning.

View attachment 18336

I had better luck than that too. I ordered last Tueday. By about Thursday/Friday they updated shipping time to Tuesday this week, but coming today. WiiU.

WTF 900??? Well there's my completionist complex.

I've found myself severely underpowered in this game. If you don't plan out fights, you can find yourself overwhelmed quickly. I also with a measly 3 hearts and a stamina boost decided to do the combat trial. Big mistake, I think my map is full of X there now. I did win but it took way longer than I think the fight should have. Even if I got a flurry of attacks in, it was like I did not do any damage (I was hurting it, but the bar was moving minuscule amounts) I ran out of arrows, broke 3 swords and resorted to bombing it for the final 1/4 of life. All I had left was a torch and a leaf fan. "Link your resourcefulness with beating my combat trial with a fan was epic, Ganon shall fear your epic wind skills and run now"

Damn...900 of those things. That's up there with the number of flags in the first Assassin's Creed. The job of programming those locations had to have been exciting. Hopefully they hired the same guy that wrote text for all of the different planets in Mass Effect and all of those random books in the TES games.

I caved and got the digital copy for my WiiU, first console game I've bought in almost 20 years! Also the first time I've paid a full $60 for a game in a long time.

Haven't used the WiiU in like 2 years, I turned on the gamepad and the screen is totally fucked. Rows of dead pixels. Good thing this game doesn't use it...

Just a note for Wii U edition, I ran into a shrine yesterday that required the gamepad. It doesn't actually use the screen for anything but it required the gyroscope/accelerometer on the gamepad. A message actually popped up that the gamepad was required. I usually play with the pro controller so I was a bit surprised, but it was easy enough to switch to the gamepad for me as it's close by. I didn't really check to see if you could work around it. Only needed it for a minute or two before going back to the pro controller.

Just a note for Wii U edition, I ran into a shrine yesterday that required the gamepad. It doesn't actually use the screen for anything but it required the gyroscope/accelerometer on the gamepad. A message actually popped up that the gamepad was required. I usually play with the pro controller so I was a bit surprised, but it was easy enough to switch to the gamepad for me as it's close by. I didn't really check to see if you could work around it. Only needed it for a minute or two before going back to the pro controller.

Funny story about that shrine is that my wife got to it and couldn't do it. She finally got frustrated and flipped her controller upside down. Sure as shit the entire thing flipped in the game and the ball launched itself perfectly into the hole. I imagine that was an intended way to do the shrine..

I LOATH the decision to use the gamepad accelerometer. For the 3 shrines I've had to use it on, the orientation of the gamepad was nowhere close to reasonable and on two of them, I had to rotate it to upside-down & tipped away from me to get the fucking ball through the maze.

It wasn't fun at all. It was exactly the opposite. I'm not buying any more Nintendo products until they stop making hardware with stupid features.

Which ties to my second major complaint about BotW:
They should stop focusing on dumb gamepad features and give us better hardware.
I know for a fact that AMD & nVidia can provide gpus that will handle modern resolutions (1080p) and higher without upscaling and maintain 60fps.

But here we are in 2017 and Nintendo (in their infinite wisdom) has released their biggest title ever at 720p and choppy framerates (I'd guess ~10-15 fps sometimes, and most of the time I'm guessing it's only about 20 fps) for what appears to only be about 1000 polygons on the screen at any moment in time.

I hate Nintendo for ruining the experience with shitty performance and lackluster detail. The textures are so bad, it's like I'm playing a 12-year old PC game.

oh, and I'm tired of chopping trees for apples.

Agreeing with another poster that I'm under powered for most fights. I can sneak by and get into a couple more shrines and towers, but not running into too many side quests and such. Though that brings up another point, it's not clear I'm leveling doing stuff, for lack of a better term. Wondering what other go-tos for stuff to do is other than shrines and towers, and if I will just be ready for better fights as I get more hearts and such? As of now, I'm having to do a lot of running and avoiding, to opening up a few more teleport towers, getting a few more shrines, hoping I'll eventually be strong enough to not get one shot owned by some 50% of the fights I come across. Just with more hearts, stamina, (all from shrines I have to sneak to!) and slowly better weapons? Thanks.

I'm enjoying the game though, and don't mind if it won't be very easy or anything. Even if it doesn't sound like it lol. I'm playing for WiiU. It is the chuggiest game I've played in recent memory, but it is good.

The game requires some intelligence in using food to buff yourself for tough fights along with getting good at dodging/ parrying. I personally enjoy the challenge. Fighting a lynol at low level was really fun.

Back