[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

It's very easy. I roughly cut a piece of aluminium mesh. Filed it straight and to size. Bent using clamps and pieces of wood from my daughter's box of blocks. It bolts onto the existing holes for 3.5" drive tray. Fits an SSD and a mechanical drive.

Alu mesh must be one of the easiest ways to add a drive cage/mod, what would we do without it !!

It's very easy. I roughly cut a piece of aluminium mesh. Filed it straight and to size. Bent using clamps and pieces of wood from my daughter's box of blocks. It bolts onto the existing holes for 3.5" drive tray. Fits an SSD and a mechanical drive.

Cool. But not a 3.5" drive in there any way right?

Something along these lines, would be such a simple accessory Silverstone can make, that they could have a healthy margin on and people would buy. I just want one one that either fits an extra drive (need at least 1 3.5" in there), or one that simply gets out of the way and makes more efficient use of space, like yours.

Cool. But not a 3.5" drive in there any way right?

Yes. GHT10 managed a 3.5" drive, see here http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1539848

70132992.jpg

Be warned that the USB 3.0 version of the case doesn't have enough room for a 3.5" drive in the position shown above, due to the front panel USB and audio connectors taking up a lot more space.

Hm, guess I'll have to figure how to make one of my own. I'm thinking one that gets rid of the ODD tray, and allow the same 3.5+2.5 setup, and simply allow for easier access/maintenance/better airflow? Also I might make one that allows 2 3.5 drives...

my 1st LCS loop

(looks like crap, but it gets the job done. LOL)

* Silverstone SG05
* XSPC Raystorm
* XSPC Razor GTX 670
* XSPC RX120
* EK DCP 2.2
* Bitspower & EK Fittings
* OEM Flow Indicator - turned Mini Reservoir

SilverstoneSG05LCS1-1.jpg

SilverstoneSG05LCS2-1.jpg

SilverstoneSG05LCS4-1.jpg

SilverstoneSG05LCS3-1.jpg

SilverstoneSG05LCS6-1.jpg

SilverstoneSG05LCS5-1.jpg

SilverstoneSG05LCS8-1.jpg

I have no idea how you got all that in there. Bravo!

What are the temps like with prime95 and furmark?

I have no idea how you got all that in there. Bravo!

Thanks! :)

What are the temps like with prime95 and furmark?

i havent tried using prime95 and furmark on this yet, but i will try it out. i haven't used prime95 for years! and i have yet to try furmark. i only used the old 3DMark 11 Extreme settings to stress it out (i'm not so into benchmarking you see, it just came free from an old videocard. :D). i also run Battlefield 4 at its Ultra Settings on 1080p.

the highest temps i have so far:
CPU: 65 'C (Core i5 3570)
GPU: 70 'C (GTX 760)

i have no idea what was the room temperature here when i tested but i can say that it is HOT!.. no A/C, very hot summer noon. my room was well-ventilated though. i'm guessing its more or less around 30 'C. (i'm from a tropical country)

Well done! :D

after reading this from you wisk, i suddenly felt proud of myself. your SG05 build was my reference. :D thanks man!

I like it! Almost did the same a year ago but ended up going FT03 mini.

thanks! :)

Does anyone know if the NZXT Kraken G10 would fit in this case? A more accurate question would be whether the block from an AIO cooler was able to reach the GPU? My Asus 670 Mini, while getting the job done, does get quite hot and loud under load. Figured I could get this and get the NT06-Pro as a replacement CPU cooler.

It's difficult to know, because they only list the size of the cooler, and not the size when mounted on the card.

It might look like crap but bravo for the effort, for a 1st try its good and your next one will be even better

thanks man! :)

Does anyone know if the NZXT Kraken G10 would fit in this case? A more accurate question would be whether the block from an AIO cooler was able to reach the GPU? My Asus 670 Mini, while getting the job done, does get quite hot and loud under load. Figured I could get this and get the NT06-Pro as a replacement CPU cooler.

i considered doing the same thing a few months ago. i think it will fit but you will have to trim the bracket of the Kraken G10 to be able to close the case. i didn't pursue it though. i was worried about the VRMs heating up too much with the fan of the stock cooler removed. i think the portion with the "NZXT" branding needs to be trimmed.

if you're using it on a GTX 670 Mini, which has a short PCB, i think the tubes from your AIO will be able to reach the GPU, just make sure to mount the AIO cooler in such a way that the hoses are on the left side (facing the front of the case) so the tubes are closer to the videocard..

can't wait to get this block: (EK-FC750)

EK-FC750.jpg

and mount it on this card: (Zotac GTX 750 Ti)

ZotacGTX750Ti.jpg

for another full-water cooled Silverstone SG05 build, like this: (my last build)

SilverstoneSG05LCS5.jpg

just can't get enough of watercooling in tight spaces. :D

In December 2012 I reduced my system to a SG09 case. Unfortunally, I really need a transportable system and SG09 was still too big, and to heavy. Finally I made what should have been my first choice: SG05! This is a really transportable system! The 80+ Gold SFX modular from Silverstone was essencial for my decision for an SFX PSU.

Specs:
- CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz 6MB Sk1155 - From the old system
- MB: Asrock Z77E-ITX Intel Z77 SK1155 - Bought new
- GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 OC with Boost - Bought an used one
- RAM: Gskill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600MHz 2x4GB - From the old system
- PSU: Silverstone SST-ST45SF-G v2 450W Gold Modular - Bought new
- OS HDD: SSD Samsung 2.5" 840 250GB - From the old system
- Storage HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB - From the old system
- Case: Silverstone SG05BB-Lite USB 3.0 - Bought new

The size reduction:
IMG_7515.jpg

The GPU size:
IMG_7521.jpg

The back:
IMG_7531.jpg

After Cable Management:
IMG_7545.jpg

My SG09 system stayed with the follwing specs (will be storage system, and for modding and OC):
- CPU: Intel Core i3 3240 3.4GHz 3MB BOX - Bought new
- RAM: Gskill Ripjaws DDR3-1600MHz 1x4GB - Bought new
- MB: Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
- GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5
- PSU: SilverStone Strider ST60F-P 600W Modular + PP05 Cable-Set
- OS HDD: Disco SSD Intel 330 180GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" (SSDSC2CT180A3K5)
- Backup HDD: Seagate HDD 4TB 3.5" (ST4000DM000) - Bought new
- Media HDD: Western Digital BLUE 1TB
- Cooler: Thermalright Macho HR-02
- Case: Silverstone Technology SG09
- Fan Controller: Lamptron FC touch Fan Controller 5.25 - black
- Top Fan: 1x Phobya G-Silent 180mm 700rpm Red LED
- Case Fans: 5 x Noiseblocker fans (1x80mm + 2x92mm + 2x120mm (M8-S2)
- Some led stripes

Has anyone successful my fit a 290x in the sg05?

Depending on the R9 290X you will have to cut a hole in the front of the SG05 frame to accommodate it (10.75 inches (273 mm)). The maximum length you can fit into the SG05 is 9.5 inches (242 mm).

The reference 290X length is 11 inches (278 mm).

Here are a few examples from other AIB partners:

Asus R9290X-DC2OC-4GD5 R9 290X DirectCU II OC: 11.3 inches (288 mm)
Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X: 12 inches (305 mm)
Gigabyte GV-R929XOC-4GD R9 290X Windforce OC: 11.1 inches (282 mm)
HIS R9 290X IceQ X² Turbo: 11.69 inches (297 mm)
MSI R9 290X Gaming 4G: 10.9 inches (279 mm)

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-and-290x,3728-3.html

I was able to fit a reference PNY GTX 780Ti which is: 10.5 inches (266 mm)

LL

LL

Source: http://www.overclock.net/t/1394314/build-log-watercooled-sg05-haswell-omgbbq/0_50

In conclusion I believe you can fit an R9 290X with a little work as long as you stay within 10.75 inches (273 mm) more so if you plan on water-cooling since it will relieve the excess space.

Hope this helps!

Looks like we have a spiritual successor to the Sugo SG05 which will fit longer GPU's without cutting out the front panel, straight from Computex 2014. Otherwise known as the Silverstone SG13 Prototype. Target price is $30, with no internal 5.25 inch drive and optical bays. The front intake is compatible with a 120mm-140mm fan.

SG13 Dimensions: 222 mm (W) x 181 mm (H) x 285 mm (D) | 11.5L
SG05 Dimensions: 222 mm (W) x 176 mm (H) x 276 mm (D) | 10.8L

Source: http://www.eteknix.com/silterstone-...-reveal-loads-of-new-chassis-at-computex-2014

Source: http://www.techspot.com/news/57031-...ni-itx-case-and-a-massive-prototype-cube.html

I don't seem to be seeing anything about how the SG13 will make it easier for users to install longer GPUs. The gains in dimensions are very minor and can be entirely attributed to the new face plate design.

I don't seem to be seeing anything about how the SG13 will make it easier for users to install longer GPUs. The gains in dimensions are very minor and can be entirely attributed to the new face plate design.

Well if you consider the SG05 is 276 mm (including plastic front face plate) and can fit a GPU up to 242 mm in its factory trim, with a modified front frame panel you open up about 273 mm for a longer GPU.

In comparison to the new SG13 the minor gains you get with the depth opens up many higher end GPU's that usually come in at about 266 mm - 278 mm. We'll have to wait for the official announcement, however I have a strong feeling this case came to fruition because of this :D

It may be easier to understand if you ever had a chance to open up the SG05 and fit several longer GPU's with a modified front. ;)

Well if you consider the SG05 is 276 mm (including plastic front face plate) and can fit a GPU up to 242 mm in its factory trim, with a modified front frame panel you open up about 273 mm for a longer GPU.

In comparison to the new SG13 the minor gains you get with the depth opens up many higher end GPU's that usually come in at about 266 mm - 278 mm. We'll have to wait for the official announcement, however I have a strong feeling this case came to fruition because of this :D

It may be easier to understand if you ever had a chance to open up the SG05 and fit several longer GPU's with a modified front. ;)

I see what you mean. I was hoping Silverstone had actually made the case compatible with longer GPUs without the user having to cut open the sheet metal at the front.

I'm going to assume that a 140mm fan will block the front of a long GPU though.

Not necessarily. With the ODD gone and front I/O moved to the bottom, there should be enough space for a 140mm fan.

I'm curious what they did with the drive trays.

Not necessarily. With the ODD gone and front I/O moved to the bottom, there should be enough space for a 140mm fan.

LL

That doesn't affect the distance of the GPU from the center of the motherboard. In the SG05/06, a 120mm fan right in the center will be nearly touching the backplate of the GPU. In order for a 140mm to work they'll have to shift the fan to the left resulting in a non-symmetric case. Of course that works, but it'll trigger OCDs.

In order for a 140mm to work they'll have to shift the fan to the left resulting in a non-symmetric case. Of course that works, but it'll trigger OCDs.

They already did this in the FT03-mini. The 120mm fan mounts inside are shifted to the side an inch or two. There's several subtle improvements in the FT03-mini that I hope they would carry over to the SG13, e.g. the SSD on the floor next to the motherboard, the drive cage not being riveted but uses screws, better venting at the back of the case.

Would be interested since I could get a 140mm thick rad in the front for dual GPU/CPU cooling. That front panel checkerboard, however, is a deal breaker for me. That really needs to be cleaned up.

Would be interested since I could get a 140mm thick rad in the front for dual GPU/CPU cooling. That front panel checkerboard, however, is a deal breaker for me. That really needs to be cleaned up.

That's what i'm thinking. I may evolve my SG05 to this new case to fit a larger radiator while maintaining a high radiator FPI. Now are there any 140mm fans that are as good if not better then the Gentle Typhoon's static pressure?

Last edited:
Yes. HSP 140mm are like hen's teeth. I will be doing a pull-only so its not quite as critical. I might go for a Silverstone AP141 but not sure. Will need to rethink case options as I still like having the BD-R drive. Might be tight with a 140mm and a res/pump doing both GPU and CPU in an SG13 and crafting in a BD-R drive. May have to move up to over 12L of case! :eek: Behemoth!

I'm using a 140mm Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro PK-PS in my FT03-mini and very happy with the noise level and pressure. I tried various fans before settling on the NB, for instance AP141, Akasa Viper and Apache, Bgears B-blaster, and another one I forget.

However, recently been hearing some good things about a new Phanteks 140mm and a new Alpenföhn 140mm, but not sure on model names.

Has anybody here successfully fit an Asus GTX660 into the SG05 with all of the drive cages (or at a minimum at least the optical drive + 2.5" cage) and everything in place, and without any hacking / mods on the case?

I compared a few GTX660s and the Asus seems to be a bit longer. Most are around 10.0"-10.1". This one is exactly 10.2" and I hear people say the available space is exactly 10.2". The Asus is also taller than the 5.11" max width as well, coming in at 5.2"

A Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex - 140mm over a nh-l12 should fit in the case no problem right ?

Back