[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

Fitting a 770gtx, two hdd (3,5 and 2,5 ssd) and that damn modular PSU wasn't a pretty job.

I had to bend and cut so many things, including my fingers.

I will spare you the pictures :)

I haven't checked the 780ti, would they fit ? anyway I will skip at least one generation.

7557 on Firestrike and I have still margin on the CPU (i2500 Occed to 4,55ghz).

Temperatures are decent unless you start pushing with IBT.

It's such a good feeling running a next gen Simulator like Assetto Corsa on triple screen with such a small beast, and it makes my constant relocating so much easier :)

That's beautiful. I've seen a couple builds that really challenge preconceptions on what SG05 builds look like lately.

Are you going to be able to mount the PSU right against the case wall so you can have a clean exhaust and access to the power switch? Or do you have something else in mind? Does the D14 heatsink have clearance under the case if it's closed up?

I'm going to be putting an ATX PSU in my SG05 at some point too, but I went the H80i route.

Nice build!

I think the PSU is already in there by the front intake. That build is froot loops!
I have the same cooler and almost had insane thoughts of stuffing it into a FT03 mini lol

I think the PSU is already in there by the front intake. That build is froot loops!
I have the same cooler and almost had insane thoughts of stuffing it into a FT03 mini lol

Yeah, the PSU is mounted in the front of the case already. PSU power switch will be stuck inside the case and he won't be able to plug it in without leaving the case walls off.

I don't want to mount the psu at the case wall, because that will force me to hacksaw the side of the case, and it will not look good with a powercord sticking out of the side of the case.
There's about 1 or 1.2 cm from the psu to the case side, and I've drilled something like 200 holes so it can exhaust.
The NH D14 heatpipes is sticking out of the case by 1-2mm, I've drill holes for the heat pipes.
I'm aiming for a mod where you can close the case, and it still look like an odinary sg05, without the extension, where the DVD is mounting.
When I have complete this mod, I'll have something to cover up the gap between the case and the front bezel.

This is my second sg05 build, the first one has an antec h20 620 AIO in it, and DVD/rw + 2hdd, but with a SFX psu

Just earlier today I saw a build with dual 120mm rads mounted to the front intake on an SG05. Had the CPU and GPU fed into them. Real nice.

Not to detract from your build though, this is really slick too.

If you drill tiny, barely sufficient holes for the heatpipes it might have a cool tube amplifier kinda look going on with them just poking out of the top.

Figuring out that PSU on the side seems problematic, but I wish you the best of luck. The other thing you may consider is having the power switch on the bottom of the case with a low-profile right-angle power supply cord under the case (you will need to jack up the casters on the case a bit for this to work though)

I seem to recall seeing that configuration in a build somewhere around here or maybe one of Miah Allen's builds.

E: Just went back to check your optical drive mod. It goes up huh? That's slick. Does the front fan actually do anything useful at this point? Seems like there's an optical drive and an ATX PSU blocking it completely.

There's no fan in the front, as you noticed :) the psu is ttaking it's place.
The thing i need to figure out now is the best airflow, because atm when i close the case, the cooler will have to suck air from sides, and some of the hot air from the psu/gpu.
But if I turn the fans the opposite way, I'll have fresh cool air from outside blowing into the case, the cooler will always get cool air, but the psu will be the exhaust sucking all the hot air. Using the psu as exhaust is normal on most m-atx and atx cases. But what do you guys think?
I love suggestions

I would work it so that the PSU is your intake, exhausts into the case towards the D14, which exhausts towards the back of the case and out the sides.

If you were using the D14 as an intake (sucking air in the sides) there would be at least one airflow dead zone above the rear i/o.

I really do think that having the PSU power cord on the bottom of the case is your best option here, but someone else may have a better way.

E: Wait, if you have the PSU exhausting towards the D14, the power switch would be faced towards the D14. You might have to use the D14 as an intake after all.

I have cut a big hole behind the sg05 abit above the IO plate. It fit a 120mm fan, if I use nh d14 as intake then it will draw air from behind to the front, and the psu will exhaust hot air. Something like positive air pressure.

That sounds great, reverse airflow in an SG05 ftw!

I'd poke around for some more ideas on the front PSU orientation if I were you. If I come up with anything beside having the switch on the bottom of the case I'll drop it in this thread.

E: Make sure you filter that rear 120mm fan.

Yep, that'd be the one. I'm glad I didn't see it back when I was waffling about getting one of those Accelero hybrids. I think I made up my mind to go the ATX PSU route at this point in time.

If you were to stack rads like that, I'd recommend drilling holes for a second fan on the outside front of the case though.

Yep, that'd be the one. I'm glad I didn't see it back when I was waffling about getting one of those Accelero hybrids. I think I made up my mind to go the ATX PSU route at this point in time.

I think there is an sfx 550W psu rumored from silverstone,

it would be enough for 780ti and some overclocking headroom.

maybe an alternative so you could fit dual rads etc?

i.e. since you are not going dual GPU option you may be able to get away with an SFX PSU

Does the EVGA 760 /w ACX cooler fit fine in the SG05?

Yes, the card is 9.5" and should fit without even needing to cut the front steel. You may need to remove the front fan and stick the nose of the card out while you orient it inside the case.

I think there is an sfx 550W psu rumored from silverstone,

it would be enough for 780ti and some overclocking headroom.

maybe an alternative so you could fit dual rads etc?

i.e. since you are not going dual GPU option you may be able to get away with an SFX PSU

I'm really up in the air about which direction to go with my build right now, but the endgame goal is to have the highest performing card in a single PCIE slot so I can run a 120Hz/144Hz monitor close to it's capability. This might mean a 780 Ti K|NGP|N, GTX 790, something Maxwell, or even jumping ship to Kaveri for Mantle support (but this would mean I can't use G-Sync)

Not really sure what to do, so I'm just planning and saving my pennies.

Yes, the card is 9.5" and should fit without even needing to cut the front steel. You may need to remove the front fan and stick the nose of the card out while you orient it inside the case.

I'm really up in the air about which direction to go with my build right now, but the endgame goal is to have the highest performing card in a single PCIE slot so I can run a 120Hz/144Hz monitor close to it's capability. This might mean a 780 Ti K|NGP|N, GTX 790, something Maxwell, or even jumping ship to Kaveri for Mantle support (but this would mean I can't use G-Sync)

Not really sure what to do, so I'm just planning and saving my pennies.

similar to what I want, ATX is the way to go
790 probably best choice if it ever comes out.

but exhuasting from both front and back probably means u shouldn't keep the card within the bezel

Maybe I'll go that route and build a little cage into the front plastic for the card to sit inside. I dislike the idea of having the bare PCB/shroud sitting outside the case. I'm not sure I could cut the plastic and build on top of it without it looking ghetto.

I'm kinda hoping that the 790 is shorter than the 690 if/when it comes out, but it seems unlikely that they would cram 2 GK110s like that.

It seems like there's a lot up in the air for enthusiast hardware right now. I might just wait to see what happens after the new year.

Have you considered, that you can extend the front bezel with 1-2 cm. Look at my pics I've extend it with 1,5 cm. I've have cut a hole in the front metal to make space for future gpu upgrade.
I've replaced the hd 6850 in my pictures with a gtx 670 ftw, and theres plenty of space. The temps are even better now, because of the gpu exhausting heat out instead of spreading the heat inside the case.
I intend to future prof this case with all my mods, so normal size components ( psu, gpu, cooler) can fit, without it getting the ghetto look.

Oh, snap. I did not even realize that the ODD was in between the bezel and the steel. That's an excellent idea that I'm definitely going to go with.

How did you fasten the front bezel? Is it just floating there?

Thanks yo. I'm not going to be working on my system immediately, but I'm collecting ideas and planning right now.

No rush, but that'd be awesome if you could throw some detail pics at me. :D

Can now confirm the MSI 760 Twin Frozr fits

aDyHgp1l.jpg

Had to remove everything and install it from the top, even cpu heatsink and ram.

But case is fully loaded, optical drive, 3.5" hard drive and 2.5" ssd.

Can now confirm the MSI 760 Twin Frozr fits

aDyHgp1l.jpg

Had to remove everything and install it from the top, even cpu heatsink and ram.

But case is fully loaded, optical drive, 3.5" hard drive and 2.5" ssd.

Looks sweet. :D

Here's pictures of the Mini beast SG05 with NH D14.

HeA6VMg.jpg

FRONT
R5Gdlic.jpg

Back
e1oL9xO.jpg

SIDE with GPU exhaust
lohGN3E.jpg

Sj5zdOB.jpg

Here's how it looks like with the GTX 670 FTW, nice and tidy.
icssbqR.jpg

Here's a Closeup of the ODD mount and the front bezel.
dlhqjG1.jpg

The RED marks is where I use the screws to hold the front bezel, the BLUE mark is for securing the ODD.
hZXuIs2.jpg

This is a pic of how the ODD mount looks like from inside the case.
85qE2cY.jpg

The original dust holder, has been bent abit and now serve as ODD holder.
atcB55p.jpg

when i cut the hole for bigger GPU, I've made some holder for the ODD.
7vfGN7K.jpg

The front Bezel is mounted by those original holes, they are mark with RED marks.
zXkMoPb.jpg

This is my next Project COOLTEK U3 case, atm it contains parts from my sg05.
But this case claim to hold a M-atx board, so lets see how much i can squeeze in there.
8kyh6Hd.jpg

Last edited:
Love the SG05. Here are some of my build highlights:

- Asus Z87i-Deluxe
- i5-4670k (4.2GHz OC)
- 16GB Kingston HyperX
- Asus GTX670 Mini
- Seagate 240GB SSD
- HGST 1TB 7.2k RPM HDD
- Corsair H50
- 450W SFF PSU Modular

1TB Drive velcro'd to the bottom underneath the H50 radiator
2hy8bxt.jpg

SSD placed next to PSU
1zzhxys.jpg

Somewhat tidy
2udvvux.jpg

Asus GTX670 Installation
2py6zoj.jpg

Blu-Ray Drive installed
xfxjtl.jpg

All done!
q3hk.jpg

@Aznbull: Thanks for the pics man! This at least gives me another option if I want to cram a dual gpu card into my SG05 in the future.

@Cratboard
Np.
I'm thinking of a ribbon to cover up the gap between the fron bezel and the case, i'll upload a picture when i'm done with it.

Is it possible to fit an h55 in the front and use a full size graphics card?

Yes. I did it in two SG05 builds. Mount the radiator resting on the floor (behind the front fan) - hoses at the top - and you get a 1cm offset with the front fan. I used an Antec 620 but the H55 should work the same. You can even fit a DVD/BD drive this way. If you line the radiator up with the fan you get a little more cooling but the DVD drive no longer fits. Your choice.

Finally got a chance to upload some photos now that I got my internet going again. Took way too long. Anyways, here's the bits I used:
Intel i5 4670K
ASUS Maximus VI Impact
ASUS 670 Mini
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB)
Corsair H60
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
Western Digital WD Blue
Silverstone SOD02 Slim DVDRW Optical Drive

Test benching this gear. Took me a while to get the hang of it. Sidchrome fanboy :)
0fj6.jpg

You might be able to see in this pic the I/O shield didn't fit over the back quite right. In fact it was way off. The LED readout was keeled over at an angle, so that threw everything out. Had to file down the holes till it just managed to fit.
smr2.jpg

And here's the pretty side of the with the Asus 670 Mini. SSD is mounted on the side of the PSU and the WD Blue 1TB drive is under the H60 radiator. Added the ODD afterwards. Still need to find some 6-32 UNC screws for the second fan. Don't ask for a pic of the other side, it's a mess.
l44j.jpg

Yes, but you'll have to orient the radiator vertically, which means you won't be able to use an ODD and have to find optional places to mount your drives.

Full size, how long exactly? Inside of frame is 262mm long (10.3"), you can win a few more millimetres by dremelling a cut out.

Full size, how long exactly? Inside of frame is 262mm long (10.3"), you can win a few more millimetres by dremelling a cut out.

I use a 260mm graphics card in mine. Looks like from those above posts the antec 620 fits.

Back