ZskbsITl.jpg

NO COVER
Un9CeQol.jpg
HU5ow9Fl.jpg

jiy71Ghl.jpg
Y9cybO5l.jpg

RUL4FTCl.jpg

Last edited:
Great mod Cennis, nice to see your little baby comin' along. I might follow in your footsteps if the 790 comes out in March.

How's that PSU for noise under load? I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was loud, but I can't seem to find the review anywhere. Thinking about picking one up, or another similar unit to squeeze in.

Sold my 690 today, waiting for 790 too
the psu fan is not loud, but the casing gets pretty warm to the touch. Not sure if its this PSU or this model in general.

790 has been getting a lot of flak everywhere I read about it, but if it's the most powerful single PCIE graphics solution I'll grab one. I have zero experience with SLI, or dual-gpu cards (still just SLI), so I'm a little nervous about driver issues, and performance being on a per application basis though.

I'm waiting to pick up some IC 24 carat, remounting my H80i, and then I'll bend the hoses down in an S-shape while I measure (still haven't done that, been busy with my new keyboard). If I can get away with a larger PSU I'll be happy, but that Silverstone looks like my fallback.

I'll try to post some pics when/if I go through with it all, and actually share something instead of just talking and asking questions. :p

If you notice, my rad is mounted outside the case now, however i feel like the tubes are now a little too short which causes pressure on the block/mobo on it when the psu presses down on it.

as opposed to before when I mounted it inside, the tubes too unflexible to bend in that tight space.

This is with my modded h80i though, the tubes are really thick and unflexible.

I feel like it affects how the coolant flow and I have been trying to think of a better way.

Yeah, sorry. I noticed your rad was on the outside; I was just blithering about my own plans. :D

Did you mod your H80i for looks, performance, or both? My guess is that the pump can't handle the extra fluid and you're getting a pressure drop. I've never had a custom loop though, just a stock H80i so far.

hahaha you were decieved

my h80i is only modded for looks, its a clear UV tubing out side the stock tubings, like letting it wear a jacket. in terms of performance i feel like the sharp bend on one of the tubes at the rad connections is impeding flow

and no need to apologize, i was just saying that mounting the rad outside vs inside have different problems

Which PSU best for reducing cable clutter?

Would assume the modular, exept the non-modular built in version supposedly has shorter cables?

* The 450W psu that comes built in to the G5-450 model. Also heard cables are for some reason easier to route with this?
* The modular variant ST45SF-G. Is it possible to get cables as short as above?

Any extras I should get to improve either choice?

I'm an ITX and SG5 newb so apologies in advance if these questions are a bit off.
Prospective build:

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3
silverstone NT06-pro CPU cooler
MSI GTX 770 twin frozr
SG05 + sfx 450
Motherboard: MSI Z87I GAMING AC
2 sticks very low profile memory
Storage: 2.5" SSD + 2.5" HD (definitely no 3.5")
Optical: nah

Application: Portable gaming, possible 2x/year plane carry-on.

Last edited:
The advantage of the non-modular is that the wires all come out next to the drive cages, which is a massive advantage if you want a 3.5" drive and/or optical.

However, you don't want either of those, so the only disadvantage of the modular is that the wires are little bit longer. Mainly due to the modular sockets and connectors themselves. 20mm is a lot in a small case like this.

Looking at your GPU, it's not a hungry card, even overclocked it doesn't draw so much. I would save yourself a bit of cash and go with the bronze non-modular.

Whats the Specs? and some numbers? temps before and after and so on :D

Nice build :D

Thanks.

Specs
Proc : I5 4570s
Mobo : Gigabyte H87
Mem : 8gb kingston hyperx black
GPU : Sapphire R9 270x vapor-x
HSF : Silverstone NT06 pro
PSU : Silverstone 450w sfx
Storage : 256gb Adata SSD and 1TB Samsung 2.5" HDD

Temps
Proc : 35 to 38 idle
around 55 load
GPU : 40 idle
around 70 load

1511213_667485526607733_882817109_n.jpg

My new SG05 is a great success!

MSI Z87I gaming ac motherboard
GTX 770 msi twin frozr (removed absolutely everything including front fan to install)
xeon 1230-v3 (underclock of 70 mv applied to make it run a little cooler)
NT06 cpu cooler (wow it fits! I even got 120x25mm F pwm noctua under it)
16GB ram (crucial ballstix sport very low profile. Running cas 8 @ 1.4v & 1600 )
changed out the silverstone fan in front for noctua s12a for hell of it
2.5" SSD
450 silverstone sfx with flat short cable kit

The big news is that the NT06 cpu cooler seems great in this when used with the very low profile ram, even fitting the 25mm tall 120mm noctua F pwm fan underneath.
Thanks to my SG05 forerunners for figuring out that the MSI twin frozr cards fit perfectly. :)

Tip to save hours of install time: When adding the two pieces of metal atop the 4 posts for NT06, test different combinations of facings to see which fits the crossbar. The one that worked for me contradicted both manual and install video I saw.
Worked: One with narrow part facing CPU, one with narrow part away from CPU.

Last edited:
What GPU would you all recommend for this case with a 300w SFX? I got some parts lying around (i3 3225, ST30SF psu, MB + SDD) and thought a little GPU would fit in just fine.

Thanks

Last edited:
GTX 660 or R9 270, as I believe they are the fastest <150W (1x 6-pin) cards.

Thanks. A passive R9 270 would probably cause to much heat considering its' TDP of 150w for this tiny case, wouldn't it?

Edit: I will pick up a passive 7850 (tdp 130w) on Monday, will keep you posted on any heat issues.

Last edited:
I have one of these too, with the following:

SG06 case
ST45 gold psu
Asus Z87i-pro mobo
Intel 4670K cpu
8GB 2666c11 ram
EVGA GTX670 FTW
1x256GB SSD
2x1TB 2.5 HDD
Alphacool 120mm UT60 rad
Swiftech Drive 2 cpu block/pump combo
XSPC full cover gpu block

Im looking for a more powerful gpu but it runs fine as it is.

Qzppzaf.jpg

:D

Last edited:
Love seeing full watercooling in SG05/SG06/FT03mini. :D

Just the single fan on a thick rad, is it enough? What rpms are you driving the fan and pump?

And did you use a reservoir? Any more pics?

Hey mate, no res as I filled it through the fill points at top of the rad but there is still a little air in there somewhere so I am looking at squeezing a micro res in there somewhere.

I swapped to a GT1850 but I think a stronger fan would help, it gets a bit hot so I keep voltages low to try to help.

Pic without wiring:

image.php

Sleeper:

image.php

:)

Last edited:
I have one of these too, with the following:

SG06 case
ST45 gold psu
Asus Z87i-pro mobo
Intel 4670K cpu
8GB 2666c11 ram
EVGA GTX670 FTW
1x256GB SSD
2x1TB 2.5 HDD
Alphacool 120mm UT60 rad
Swiftech Drive 2 cpu block/pump combo
XSPC full cover gpu block

Im looking for a more powerful gpu but it runs fine as it is.

Qzppzaf.jpg

:D

Love seeing full watercooling in SG05/SG06/FT03mini. :D

Just the single fan on a thick rad, is it enough? What rpms are you driving the fan and pump?

And did you use a reservoir? Any more pics?

I agree Wisk i'm loving his build also! What are your temps? We recently had a debate regarding 120mm radiator thickness inside the SG05. :D

Hey mate, no res as I filled it through the fill points at top of the rad but there is still a little air in there somewhere so I am looking at squeezing a micro res in there somewhere.

I swapped to a GT1850 but I think a stronger fan would help, it gets a bit hot so I keep voltages low to try to help.

Pic without wiring:

image.php

Sleeper:

image.php

Interesting to see you did not use a reservoir. I have a similar build that includes the Swiftech MicroRev Res on the side, fits perfectly next yo the PSU had to make minor adjustments to the fan and radiator combo though.

LINK: http://www.overclock.net/t/1394314/build-log-watercooled-sg05-haswell-omgbbq/0_50

Silverstone TJ08-E and SG05

My temps arent awesome, but its set up to be very quiet and the tiny case concept is indeed fun.

With the 4670K and GTX670FTW both on stock it idles at about 36 degrees and while playing BF4 the gpu hits low 80's while the cpu is about 10 degrees behind that.

I am looking at added a micro res, maybe next to the rad and it could use more airflow but I want to keep it quiet. The other option I have is to put the gpu back to air and leave the rad to cool just the cpu but I will be little disappointed if I take this option, I really wanted cpu and gpu to be water cooled.

The cpu runs at 1.08v stock and I can hit 4ghz stable at 1.10v, but the gpu hits 1.175v stock (while boosting to 1189mhz) so I was toying with the idea of undervolting it a bit to see if I can find a balance. Then again I do have a second PC that I can play games on so this one is meant to be a quiet 24/7 pc with gaming capabilities, I guess it fits that target quite well (just the overclocker in me always wants more ...).

I have to say that's quite high temps for the GPU. My overclocked 660ti (should be similar to your 670) only goes above 50C when the fan filter gets dusty. I have AX120 rad, with push-pull fans.

You have the rad fan set to intake (pull) fresh air into the case? I can't quite see from the picture.

I suggest trying it the other way around, radiators work better with cool air :)

Your right but then all that heated air is pumping into my tiny case.

OK I took the front off the case, to assist airflow through the rad and dropped 13 degrees on gpu.

Your right but then all that heated air is pumping into my tiny case.

Maybe it seems counter intuitive, but in a small case like this, the total air volume is being replaced several times a second. There is not really enough time for the air to get 'hot' from its brief moment through the radiator. Although air in the case might feel warm on your hand, humans are particularly sensitive to anything over blood-temperature. Better to check with proper thermometer.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be contrary for the sake of it. Just try yourself with the fan at the case front, pushing air in. GPU should be at least under 60C, if not under 50C with that rad, and fan on full. :)

In my past experiences that warmed up my tubes and felt counter intuitive.
never thought of it this way, but I will keep that in mind.

I love my SG-05's but when are they going to update it without an ODD. I hate having to work around the top tray, and how the other drives rely on it. It's a waste of space. If you still you discs, don't talk to me lol, you don't understand my frustration.

It can't be hard to replace that ODD tray with one that would allow an extra drive in there, and seal up the front, it'd even allow for a slightly larger fan in there. Anyone mod the tray along these lines?

Yeah, but that's a pretty terrible use of space when there is clearly enough space for two 2.5" drives side by side.

On the other hand, it can't be that hard to fabricate your own replacement shelf out of aluminum sheets.

On the other hand, it can't be that hard to fabricate your own replacement shelf out of aluminum sheets.

It's very easy. I roughly cut a piece of aluminium mesh. Filed it straight and to size. Bent using clamps and pieces of wood from my daughter's box of blocks. It bolts onto the existing holes for 3.5" drive tray. Fits an SSD and a mechanical drive.

Oh yeah, I remember this. Didn't I ask if the tray was attached at the bottom?

You might have done, and I would have replied that there is a motherboard stand-off holding it there by pressure. I filed out a little notch.

Back