[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

Just installed the GeminII for my E5200. CPU temps were (and are) fine, basically the same as with the Q6600 stock cooler, but the chipset was (is) starting melt pretty much, it rose to 94 degrees in temperature within 30 minutes of the computer being turned on, without any particular load. I installed a temporary 120mm fan - Antec TriCool at minimum speed to keep it at least somewhat silent - on top of the "front" edge of the Geminii to try to blow some air downwards on the chipset heatsink. But of course as the drive cage blocks it for the most part and a cable mess takes care of the rest, it doesn't get much cool air to work with.

Running Prime95 now, the chipset is already at 87 again.... probably still going to raise as well. How high a temperature is "safe" for the chipset anyway? With the Q6600 cooler, which I would not have thought to give much airflow to the chipset heatsink, it didn't go over 60 even when overclocking. How do you folks keep the chipset at reasonable temps with the GeminII? :(

To top it all off, the system as a whole is still anything but silent when in a quiet room. Can't say which fan makes the most noise, but it's one of the two "stock" fans, since adding the TriCool made no difference to sound levels. I do have a silent Nexus fan on order to replace the front fan, but I'm sceptic as to how much of a difference it'll actually end up making.

You may want to try reseating the chipset heatsink and using some AS5 on it. Since it's secured with spring loaded push pins, it can rock back and forth pretty easily and actually lose contact with the chip and mess up the thermal paste. This happened to me on a similar build and I had to replace the splattered thermal goop with AS5.

Also you should make sure the cpu heatsink isn't coming in contact with the chipset heatsink and nudging it up off of the chipset.

Yeah, I suppose I'll have to take a look at it again. It's just a pain to poke around the case with it being stuffed so full ;)

As it stands, with the extra 120mm in the chipset idles at 79-80, and under prolonged heavy load goes to a bit over 90. Not exactly figures I'd be comfortable with on a long term basis. If all else fails, I suppose I'll have to slap the Q6600 cooler back in. In fact this chipset temp issue is a large factor in why I'm craving for a SG03 i5 build right now... :(

EDIT: Having a fan at the CPU side of the case (outside) helps the chipset temps considerably, putting them to about where they were with the Q6600 cooler, but obviously it's not a pretty solution. I was looking inside the thing and thinking that maybe something like a Scythe Mini Kaze 40mm could help with the chipset without being too loud? I think it should fit in between the chipset heatsink and the GeminII.

EDIT2: Ripped out a slim 80mm fan from a dead BeQuiet PSU, and slapped it on top of the chipset heatsink. I'm surprised it actually fit. Too bad it's way too loud to be a permanent solution though, as it's now the loudest part of the system, sort of defeating the purpose of the quiet GeminII. It's even louder than the Q6600 cooler was (or at least "more audible" due to the higher tone) and that was a turbine on its own right. Sadly I don't have the correct kind of cabling to undervolt it just now to make it shut up. Temps in the system are a-ok across the board now though, so this is probably the way to go about solving the chipset overheating issue.

Last edited:
my sugo6 temp on idle ....with opencase
sg06.jpg

my itx specs
SS SG06
Q9400
Zotac 9300 itx wifi
2x2gb XMS2 Corsair
XFX 4770 512mb
Corsair H50
Corsair VX450
250GB HDD
DVDRW Slimdrive

DSC03371-2.jpg

Last edited:
my itx specs
SS SG06
Q9400
Zotac 9300 itx wifi
2x2gb XMS2 Corsair
XFX 4770 512mb
Corsair H50
Corsair VX450
250GB HDD
DVDRW Slimdrive

Could you please post more detailed pics of the inside? I'd love to see how an ATX PSU and the H50 works together. Did you have any trouble fitting it all together?

Yeah, some images would be nice, if possible. I was actually just thinking about how the H50 would fit inside the SG06 rather than the SG03. I imagine it could be mounted in place of the normal front fan, but that'd completely kill airflow?

What's the rationale behind changing the PSU?. The original 300W would have handled it without a problem, no?

I'm going to send my SG05's PSU to convert it into a modular PSU and shorten the cables.

All I have right now is the SG05 (no components to put into yet). I wanted to get the PSU done before installing everything.

I'm going to install:
Zotac 9300 ITX
XFX GTS250
SilverStone slim SATA DVD burner
WD 300GB Velociraptor (removed from Ice Pack mount)

I'm going to be using a Cooler Master GeminII heatsink (which pretty much covers the entire motherboard).

What lengths should I have them shorten each cable to on the PSU to?

Or I could try that modular SilenX 400W PSU, but I hate being the guinea pig.

Last edited:
The original 300W would have handled it without a problem,

yes..but the good thing with the atx psu is the 120mm fan and the noise level is almost zero...and ofcourse you have an option for a power hungry gpu..

2red, how do you keep the chipset cool? Is the bigger PSU enough for that? Because as said, if you installed the H50 in the front fan location, it prevents most airflow to inside the case, no?

I also just noticed that the store where I got the GeminII from has the Q9550S for 199 euros... which is cheaper than the regular Q9550 normally around here. It got me thinking as to whether or not to stick with the LGA775 after all. But on the other hand, even at that price it's still more expensive than the i5 750. Decisions, decisions...

It's 80mm. Can't say anything about replacing it, but myself I decided against it given that it voids warranty. Of course, it's only a one-year warranty, after that it'd be one of the first things I'd try doing. Not that I'll have the SG06 much longer personally.

Last edited:
So, how did you get that ATX PSU in there again?

Also, for those w/ a GTS 250 in the SG05: should I get one with the power connector on the end of the card or one w/ the power connector along the top of the card?

I'm trying to decide b/w this card (has power connector along the top of the card):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130469

or this one (has power connector on the end of the card):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150437

The 1GB version is the only one that has the new PCB while compared to the 9800GTX+. Connector on top

So, how did you get that ATX PSU in there again?

Also, for those w/ a GTS 250 in the SG05: should I get one with the power connector on the end of the card or one w/ the power connector along the top of the card?

I'm trying to decide b/w this card (has power connector along the top of the card):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130469

or this one (has power connector on the end of the card):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150437

That much power, why not a more powerful GPU? was it difficult to replace? would the PSU fit with the DVD/2.5" bay in place?

A more silent PSU + fitting a H50 would certainly make SG05/06 quite awesome indeed.

But the problem with the H50 is indeed matching it to the front plate without hitting the drive cages. Or actually since the H50 can be installed in any orientation, you could install it so that it's wider than higher, so you wouldn't in fact bump into the 5.25" bay, only the 2.5" bay while not having to modify the fan mountings at all. Unfortunately the 2.5" bay can't be easily removed without effectively breaking it (as far as I can tell) due to it being attached with the "studs" or whatever you call them. But if you'd do that, you could just install the 2.5" somewhere "out of the way" since it takes very little space. Of course if you're building a fast system, it should then basically be a SSD drive so as not to slow the system down with a slow HDD :( Or I guess there might be room enough for a 3.5" in the floor too, judging by 2red's photo.

Or if you'd install the H50 on the "floor" without actually screwing it place (as that would require making new screw holes) it could work, but then you'd have to secure it in place via other means especially if you plan on moving the case on occasion.

I think I have to do a mock install of the H50 on the SG06 once I get it, even though it's meant for the SG03. Just for future reference :D

Then there's the PSU issue. I've been looking at a Nexus Value 430 for the SG03 build since it's very quiet. Interestingly, it's smaller than a normal ATX PSU - only 125mm in depth (front to back). So I suppose it would have a better chance of not interfering too much with the drive cages, even if judging by 2red's pics even a 140mm deep PSU should fit. As a downside it isn't modular (though modular generally means slightly bigger, too), so you'd have to get creative with the cable management given how much space the H50 would take up together with the large PSU. But to fit any ATX you'd apparently have to cut away the support for the rear end of the SFX PSU. Not a fan of the idea due to not having the tools to do it "cleanly" (not that I'd do a mod like that to this case given it won't be mine for much longer by the look of things).

PS. Is the 80mm fan in the FSP300 a thicker one, or a slim one? Can't remember and CBA to remove it from the case right now just to check ;)

Last edited:
if a VX450 a VX550 will fit, if there is an additional cm there an HX520 could fit too.

My question is more about the fitting, how is it fixed to the case? I guess just rear screws.

If the VX550 fits, and it's possible to get the H50 in there without screwing up the ODD bay you could build a pretty awesome mini-itx box.

No real need for 550W though, so HX450W would be my pick for a modular one. Even 300W would be enough, but as it's not silent... bummer. But anyway, I think a HX450W might be long enough to make routing the cables for the ODD very hard or impossible without modding the ODD bay. And yeah, some of the rear screws are pretty much all you can use to attach it to the case, unless you make some sort of of "brace" for it similar to the one supplied for the standard PSU. Something additional to hold it in place would be nice, since I'm not sure how many of the standard screw holes can you even use?

Sigh. If only I had the capital to keep both SG03 and SG06 systems, there'd be so many different things to try :D

That much power, why not a more powerful GPU? was it difficult to replace? would the PSU fit with the DVD/2.5" bay in place?

im only limited up to 9" VC because the H50 Rad...4770 is more than enough for me..
cutting PSU wires is the only way to go....

Last edited:
Ah, you have the PSU extruding out from the case... I kinda figured it was odd it seemed to fit in so easily :D Looking at that, I doubt even the Nexus Value 430 would go in all the way without bumping into the drive cage. Would be easy enough to measure though.

The 1GB version is the only one that has the new PCB while compared to the 9800GTX+. Connector on top

So the new GTS250s have the power connector on top.

Would a GTS250 w/ the power connector at the end, fit? Wouldn't I have trouble plugging the power cable in? They list the length of the card at 9".

Cool. Now if only they made a decent ITX (or any kind of DTX) board with a PCIe x16 slot that didn't cost an arm, a leg and my left nut and we'd have a hot little case. So thanks a lot Silverstone for making an awesome case for an Atom mobo. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Good point.

All decent ITX boards are expensive, and the crap ones are, too.

Good point.

All decent ITX boards are expensive, and the crap ones are, too.

Thankfully Zotac has a pretty good ITX board that is decently priced. I kind of wish Intel would release one (along with more manufactures) that included a PCIe x16 slot.

The thought of a ITX LGA1156 i5 board paired with a 32nm CPU and the SG06 kinda makes me drool. Too bad it's not really justifiable for my use to have two full desktop systems (nor would it make economical - or ecological, for that matter - sense) :( But the nerdy must-have-factor is overwhelming...

Hmm, by the way, leaving the H50 out of the picture for a while, the Nexus Value 430 is only 23mm bigger vertically than the FSP (focusing on the 430 because it's shorter). There's a bit of extra space from the top of the FSP to the top of the case, and a very slight amount from the bottom of the PSU to the surface of the GeminII... it might be possible to lob the PSU to rest partially on the GeminII, or at least some other similarly configured but slightly "shorter" passive cooler - like the NT06-E which would give another 4mm clearance. Too bad I didn't end up getting one, could have tested it... :( It could be a worth a shot if the PSU isn't too long and therefore would require modding the back of the case too much.

EDIT: Hmm... according to my measuring tape it still wouldn't fit on top of the NT06-E, actually :(

Last edited:
Soooo if I ditch the ODD I can fit an HX520, with some effort probably a GTX285 or even a 295 and a Core2Quad 9550 in there right?

The problem would be fitting the H50 rad, and the long GPU

Soooo if I ditch the ODD I can fit an HX520, with some effort probably a GTX285 or even a 295 and a Core2Quad 9550 in there right?

The problem would be fitting the H50 rad, and the long GPU

i made a 260 gtx fit as others have also . i also will have a low voltage Q9550 for sale soon . need to post in the for sale section

Jen

I'd like to sleeve all the PSU cables with some TechFlex sleeving I've got laying around. Would that make routing, hiding and overall cable management in the SG05 very difficult?

We designed SG05's 2.5" drive bay to specifically support the VelociRaptor bare drive so it will fit perfectly.

Here is a list of components we used during SG05's development last year:

Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 95W CPU
MSI IM-Q35 DO Industrial Mini-ITX motherboard
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C5DX DDR2 memory
AMD Radeon HD4850 graphics card
WD Raptor 150GB
VelociRaptor 300GB
Slim Blu-ray drive

Here's my final configuration:

Intel Core2Quad Q9550s (65W)
Zotac GF-9300-D-E mITX motherboard
Kingston 2x4GB DDR2 800 RAM
XFX GTX260 Core216 Black Edition
300GB VelociRaptor
SilverStone SOD01 slim SATA DVD burner

I know I'm voiding my warranty by cutting the frame to fit a GTX260, but is the PSU going to be able to power all of this if they're all running at 100% ?

Here's my final configuration:

Intel Core2Quad Q9550s (65W)
Zotac GF-9300-D-E mITX motherboard
Kingston 2x4GB DDR2 800 RAM
XFX GTX260 Core216 Black Edition
300GB VelociRaptor
SilverStone SOD01 slim SATA DVD burner

I know I'm voiding my warranty by cutting the frame to fit a GTX260, but is the PSU going to be able to power all of this if they're all running at 100% ?

That's way too close for comfort if you ask me.

I could switch out the GTX260-216 w/ a GTS250, but I don't really want to.

Maybe I could try that SilenX 400W PSU I keep asking about in this thread. I'm just concerned about it not being 80+ certified.

final build thats finally finished for me . i am done testing all these heatsinks in front of me. the best by far is the geminii which requires active cooling on the northbridge

Q9550 with geminii heatsink
260 gtx 216
season 350 watt powersupply , very modified
ocz vertex 120 gb main drive
640 gb WD storage drive
2x2 crucial pc6400 memory
slot load samsung dvd burner

this should work for me until someone shows me a mini itx that is better :) . i wish to thank everyone for posting in these threads helping others like myself in to building a smaller machine that can perform very well . whoever said small is slow can think again

Jen

That's way too close for comfort if you ask me.

Actually you make a good point... couldn't you run a pico PSU for the motherboard + HDD's, then run the 300watt for a GPU?

Heh.. you would just have to run the jumper connection to the 24pin (from the PSU) so it starts at the same time... and you'd have 2 power cables running to the computer.

But that's an option for those who want the extra power I guess..

That's a good idea. I've seen a 150W PicoPSU. Maybe I can get my setup working w/ my GTX260-216 by powering my VelociRaptor, slim SATA DVD burner and motherboard w/ the PicoPSU and the SG05's included PSU for just the GTX260-216. I'd just need to find a place to mount the PicoPSU (from pictures I've seen, it looks like there's enough space to mount the PicoPSU b/w the front fan and the motherboard). I'd just use 3M weather-proof double-sided tape to stick it there. Also, I'd need to drill a hole somewhere in the back for the PicoPSU's DC jack.

Last edited:
Looking at using this GTS250:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125285

Only problem is that Gigabyte's specs. show that it needs more power than other GTS250's I've seen:

*Minimum 450W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 24A)*

The SG05's PSU has:

Combined +12V: 22A / 264W

+12V1
Max A.: 14A
Peak A.: 19A

+12V2
Max A.: 16A

Not really concerned about heat (this card doesn't have the exhaust fan that most GTS250's have, but then the SG05 has a large vent right next to where the video card is anyway.

Back