[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

Why would it have a tough time getting through the PSU? I'd be cutting out a hole where the PSU's 92mm fan is, leaving a large opening, above where the 120mm fan would be.

I haven't built one up yet. I've got the components. I'm just waiting on the GF9300-G-E now.

Now I'm looking at the Scythe Big Shuriken + Scythe's "CPU Cooler Stabilizer" (replaces push-pins w/ a backplate + screws).

Not sure how difficult it would be to install it on the Zotac 9300 though or if the "CPU Cooler Stabilizer" kit is compatible with the Big Shuriken.

Now I'm looking at the Scythe Big Shuriken + Scythe's "CPU Cooler Stabilizer" (replaces push-pins w/ a backplate + screws).

Not sure how difficult it would be to install it on the Zotac 9300 though or if the "CPU Cooler Stabilizer" kit is compatible with the Big Shuriken.

i tried the big shuriken on this board and found it difficult to mount without removing the northbridge heatsink. push pins is a nightmare on this heatsink to press. to remove this heatsink it is best to removed the northbridge first.

Jen

Ok, so here are the popular heatsinks for the SG05:

sg05heatsinks.jpg

Still trying to decide which to go with. These are the priorities (in this order):

1) Quiet
- With the AXP-120, I'd use a Scythe 120x120x12mm, 800RPM or 1200RPM fan.
- With the Cooler Master GeminII S, I'd use a 120x25mm white LED Cooler Master Fan OR two 92x25mm Scythe S-Flex 1000RPM fans.

w/ both fan-equipped setups, the fans would be blowing air up and into the PSU / towards the roof of the case

2) Keeps a Q9550S (and possibly surrounding components) cool
3) Ease of install
4) Price

Last edited:
I used a geminII inside my sg05 and it kept my e8400 cool at 38c idle.

Just an FYI

Yup, the GeminII can usually keep even a Q9550S within acceptable temps. But the problem is, as I stated earlier, the chipset which doesn't get enough cooling with a passive CPU cooler so you have to sort it with a separate fan or such. At least that's my experience.

I only fully realized today that I could actually get the SG06 system quite silent indeed even with the stock cooler taken from a Q6600 when using stock clocks by manually lowering the fan speed in BIOS to around 900-1000rpm. At that point the cooler is about the same "loudness" as the front fan and the PSU fan. AND it still keeps the chipset cool at the same time. Overall since I'm selling the SG06 to my brother (I STILL wish I wouldn't need to, it's such a great case :() it doesn't matter much, and it also means I have a GeminII now with no system to use it on :p Kind of a mispurchase in the end despite being a decent cooler.

If the chipset gets too hot w/out some cooling, I might go with the GeminII S w/ two 92mm low RPM Scythe fans since the GeminII S can fit 25mm thick fans in the SG05.

If the chipset gets too hot w/out some cooling, I might go with the GeminII S w/ two 92mm low RPM Scythe fans since the GeminII S can fit 25mm thick fans in the SG05.

add a 80mm fan over the northbridge , can be zip tied to the heatsink . i did this when i was useing this cooler and northbridge temps was very good. without cooling to northbridge with this heatsink i was at 80c

Jen

Ah so, you can zip tie and 80mm fan to the underside of the GeminII (Not GeminII S) and have it blow down towards the chipset heatsink? Won't this interfere with the airflow from the fron 120mm fan though?

You can indeed stick a 80mm fan on top of the chipset heatsink, it fits rather snugly between the heatsink and the GeminII. I found that it's not even absolutely necessary to secure it into place with anything, but of course it's safer to do so. And indeed even necessary if you physically move your case around a lot, something I don't normally do.

It doesn't really interfere with the front fan in the sense that there's no real need for the air from it to reach the area behind the heatsink and 80mm fan, because it won't help with chipset anyway. And the back of the case also has the PSU sucking air out from there.

So an 80mm fan covers the entire chipset heatsink? Would a low speed fan like this one:

SFF80A (the one that makes only 4.5dBA noise and moves 14.3CFM of air))
http://scythe-usa.com/product/acc/062/sflf80_detail.html

cool the chipset heatsink well?

Or do I need something that moves much more air?

Should the fan be blowing air down into the chipset heatsink or up through the GeminII?

Finally, can it be zip tied to the underside of the GeminII or would that decrease the GeminII's cooling efficiency?

It doesn't need to be all that much airflow, really. The 80mm I had in there was taken from some old Antec case, it's slow enough to be basically totally silent (no idea what the RPM is) but it kept is nice and cool.

Could a slim 120mm fan be placed on the underside of the GeminII instead of an 80mm fan?

Could a slim 120mm fan be placed on the underside of the GeminII instead of an 80mm fan?

if your useing a video card then answer is no , largest that can fit there is 80mm for the northbridge .

Besides the 120mm one wouldn't really give much of a benefit anyway compared to a 80mm for this particular application.

I like the Big Shuriken, but I haven't see anyone confirm or show a backplate and mounting kit that's definitely compatible with it (to replace the push pins). Also, wouldn't installing the chipset heatsink the way he did in the video smear any thermal compound around before actually seating that chipset heatsink down and securing its push pins?

Also, should the 80mm fan on the chipset heatsink be blowing air down into the heatsink or sucking hot air up and blowing it up towards the case ceiling?

I like the Big Shuriken, but I haven't see anyone confirm or show a backplate and mounting kit that's definitely compatible with it (to replace the push pins). Also, wouldn't installing the chipset heatsink the way he did in the video smear any thermal compound around before actually seating that chipset heatsink down and securing its push pins?

Also, should the 80mm fan on the chipset heatsink be blowing air down into the heatsink or sucking hot air up and blowing it up towards the case ceiling?

to install big shuriken what you seen about easiest way to do it . you can install northbridge without smearing heatsink grease if your carefull . use both hands not one as this person did.

the 80mm fan i used with the geminii was blowing on the northbridge found that worked best with the cooling i had setup in the case

i will be listing my mini itx for sale soon ,

Jen

I had the 80mm fan pushing air towards the heatsink, rather than away from it. Now, technically it would've been better to pull the air upwards to the PSU exhaust, but with a normal 25mm thick 80mm fan there's not enough space to mount a fan guard, so I had to place it exhaust downwards. It doesn't matter too much either way though, both ways work. I even tested with a 40mm Scythe Mini-Kaze that was blowing upwards, and it seemed ok.

using stock psu, it handed a 4870 and a quad with no problems. 5850 ts 6mm shorter than 4870 so no modding is needed

The 5850s are more power efficient right?

it should be a little more efficient at 100% more load but allso much more POWER :)

Its should be a thingt fit, but ist 6mm shorter than the 4870, with that i need tot fit the 6-pin cabels before installing the card.

how is the sound levels of the 5850? since the SG05 normaly stands on a desk, it would be more noicy?

And PICS would be great :)

Actually it is the exact same length as the 4870 at 9.5 inches so it is a little tricky to get in, I was unable to do it with the cables plugged in first.

As for the noise, it is a little more noisy but thats probably because my setup was virtually silent with the passive GeminII, nothing too bothersome, I was actually surprised at how quiet the card is.

Also I don't have a decent camera right now so no pics sorry.

A silverstone rep told someone on the overclockers forum that they're gonna beef up the psu with extra connectors for gfx cards

Anyone using a Thermalright AXP-140 in the SG05? Will a 140x20mm fan fit on top of the AXP-140 in the SG05?

Anyone using a Thermalright AXP-140 in the SG05? Will a 140x20mm fan fit on top of the AXP-140 in the SG05?

There are already some people doing it. I'm going to be trying an AXP-140 today with a Scythe 120mm slim fan like the one that comes with the Big Shuriken. They just arrived yesterday. I also have a couple of standard, 25mm x 120mm fans that I will try for fit with the standard PSU and will report back.

If anyone has the AXP-140 in the SG05, can you please take these measurements:

p103017695l6.jpg

Last edited:
What's that opening below the front fan for?

sg05front.jpg

The case comes with a replacement bezel cover for that area.

Does the beefing up include increasing its power output / capacity? There's really not much point in adding more video card connectors if it can't power cards that require multiple power connectors.

Back