• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wolfenstein: The New Order

so i just started playing the game today and im having sound issues. I can't hear what the NPCs are saying clearly, i need to boost it by 50% or lower the games other sounds by 50% but there is no option to do so.

I thought its because of not being optimized for 5.1, but setting to 2 channel didnt help.

not sure what to do, don't want to play like this.
 
This may or may not help you, but are you using HDMI for your sound connection to your graphics card? If you are not try going to device manager under "sound, video, and game controllers" and disable the one from your graphics card. On my machines, I have lots of issues with sound and even games crashing when both the AMD or NVIDIA built in sound is enabled along with the sound card I'm actually using. And every time I install new drivers it re-enables it, and I usually forget to check before playing a new game...
 
Many people compare this game to Dishonored. Is this game really that bad? I hated Dishonoured. Very poor plot, bland characters, even worse gameplay, that forced you to be stealthy, while I wanted more Serious Sam type gameplay - "God, England, Saint George... CHARGE!"

So does Wolfenstein force you to hide, stealth, sneak, steal, instead just barge in, press left mouse button, then move to next room?
 
Many people compare this game to Dishonored. Is this game really that bad? I hated Dishonoured. Very poor plot, bland characters, even worse gameplay, that forced you to be stealthy, while I wanted more Serious Sam type gameplay - "God, England, Saint George... CHARGE!"

So does Wolfenstein force you to hide, stealth, sneak, steal, instead just barge in, press left mouse button, then move to next room?

Well being compared to dishonored is meant to be a compliment not a negative. You can play wolfenstein however you wish. Guns blazing or stealthy ninja. You get perks to help your gameplay based on how you play so your choice but stealth is easier to level up just due to the intrinsic nature of the gameplay. If you get spotted plan to be assaulted on all sides by hordes of Nazis and while you do get ammo from the guys you kill it isn't infinite by any means. So spray and pray isn't going to work so well.
 
Many people compare this game to Dishonored. Is this game really that bad? I hated Dishonoured. Very poor plot, bland characters, even worse gameplay, that forced you to be stealthy, while I wanted more Serious Sam type gameplay - "God, England, Saint George... CHARGE!"

So does Wolfenstein force you to hide, stealth, sneak, steal, instead just barge in, press left mouse button, then move to next room?

Uh... Dishonored was highly praised by many review sites.
 
Uh... Dishonored was highly praised by many review sites.

Which means absolutely fck all.

though i thought dishonored was decent.


Many people compare this game to Dishonored. Is this game really that bad? I hated Dishonoured. Very poor plot, bland characters, even worse gameplay, that forced you to be stealthy, while I wanted more Serious Sam type gameplay - "God, England, Saint George... CHARGE!"

So does Wolfenstein force you to hide, stealth, sneak, steal, instead just barge in, press left mouse button, then move to next room?

and what are you talking about all i did was blitz around and kill every one. But i agree the storyline was terribly predictable.
 
Last edited:
I thought Dishonored was good too. I had a lot of fun playing it. I played a mix of stealth and killing, and got a pretty odd ending. Kinda good, but chaotic or something like that. I did want to kill the boatman right at the end though. :D
 
Many people compare this game to Dishonored. Is this game really that bad? I hated Dishonoured. Very poor plot, bland characters, even worse gameplay, that forced you to be stealthy

You're totally wrong on Dishonered which was and continues to be a fantastic game, but I'm not sure why people are making comparisons against it. The only real game-play point of comparison is that you can crouch and kill enemies from behind with a blade, but that's not the focus of Wolfenstein.

There are many sections of Wolfenstein that can't be stealthed even if you wanted to.
 
You're totally wrong on Dishonered which was and continues to be a fantastic game, but I'm not sure why people are making comparisons against it. The only real game-play point of comparison is that you can crouch and kill enemies from behind with a blade, but that's not the focus of Wolfenstein.

There are many sections of Wolfenstein that can't be stealthed even if you wanted to.

It is heavily implied that you are supposed to stealth kill the commanding officers or they call in reinforcements that make your life much harder... but you still don't have to. Stealth is a viable option through *most* of the game, although some sections are almost impossible to do that way. At least it is an option, unlike most shooters that don't even allow it, and unlike Dishonored there is no penalty (story or otherwise) for not doing it as long as your shoot and survive skills are good enough for whatever difficulty you choose.
 
This may or may not help you, but are you using HDMI for your sound connection to your graphics card? If you are not try going to device manager under "sound, video, and game controllers" and disable the one from your graphics card. On my machines, I have lots of issues with sound and even games crashing when both the AMD or NVIDIA built in sound is enabled along with the sound card I'm actually using. And every time I install new drivers it re-enables it, and I usually forget to check before playing a new game...

I am using HDMI for the sound --> receiver. and DVI--> screen for picture
 
This may or may not help you, but are you using HDMI for your sound connection to your graphics card? If you are not try going to device manager under "sound, video, and game controllers" and disable the one from your graphics card. On my machines, I have lots of issues with sound and even games crashing when both the AMD or NVIDIA built in sound is enabled along with the sound card I'm actually using. And every time I install new drivers it re-enables it, and I usually forget to check before playing a new game...

Easier still......

when you download new drivers......> custom. Don't select the NVidia or AMD sound drivers for installation.:D
 
so i just started playing the game today and im having sound issues. I can't hear what the NPCs are saying clearly, i need to boost it by 50% or lower the games other sounds by 50% but there is no option to do so.

I thought its because of not being optimized for 5.1, but setting to 2 channel didnt help.

not sure what to do, don't want to play like this.

I also have this issue but my headphones are plugged directly into my sound blaster. No HDMI involved.
 
so i just started playing the game today and im having sound issues. I can't hear what the NPCs are saying clearly, i need to boost it by 50% or lower the games other sounds by 50% but there is no option to do so.

I thought its because of not being optimized for 5.1, but setting to 2 channel didnt help.

not sure what to do, don't want to play like this.

I dont think its an issue with your setup or the gear you use, the game has really shitty audio. I tried it with my speakers and headphones and its all the same. Sounds like there is no separation in the audio. Its really one of my only gripes with this game. They could have done a much better job with that.
 
Really enjoying this game so far but even with the hardest difficulty, the game is far too easy. The other disappointment is the graphics quality. I've got everything maxed and running smooth but the graphics is a bit meh to current standards.

BTW, opening menu theme music is awesome.
 
Some links for tweaking performance (and game issues), if anyone's interested. Notably, there's a good amount of buzz for the "Volski" patch, noted in the first two links below:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/201810/discussions/0/540742579542854432/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR0wZaNuzdc

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/wolfenstein-the-new-order-possible-performance-boost-discovered/

http://guide4games.net/wolfenstein-order-pc-fps-white-screen-installation-problem-crashes-fixes/


There's also an official patch that's apparently close to being released, going through QA testing now.
 
Driver optimization gone bad? Renaming the exe like that probably just throws off the driver hax.
 
Some links for tweaking performance (and game issues), if anyone's interested. Notably, there's a good amount of buzz for the "Volski" patch, noted in the first two links below:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/201810/discussions/0/540742579542854432/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR0wZaNuzdc

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/wolfenstein-the-new-order-possible-performance-boost-discovered/

http://guide4games.net/wolfenstein-order-pc-fps-white-screen-installation-problem-crashes-fixes/


There's also an official patch that's apparently close to being released, going through QA testing now.

is there someone who tried renaming the file from 64 to 32 bit?
does this improve performance as stated on this links?
 
Driver optimization gone bad? Renaming the exe like that probably just throws off the driver hax.
That would be my guess. I don't know how AMD does, but AFAIK NVIDIA just looks for the name of the process running. So you could rename the executable to whatever you want, really, so long as it doesn't match the name of something in the driver profiles.
 
is there someone who tried renaming the file from 64 to 32 bit?
does this improve performance as stated on this links?

From what I've read, it does work. It circumvents some type of wonky profiling. I've also heard of some that are renaming it to Quake .exe's, which might also have some various form of improvement, again due to profiling h4x (i.e., it'd apply whatever profiling it applies to Quake 3 -- although I'm not sure why that might be any better.

I just don't get what's taking them so long with the patch(es).
 
From what I've read, it does work. It circumvents some type of wonky profiling. I've also heard of some that are renaming it to Quake .exe's, which might also have some various form of improvement, again due to profiling h4x (i.e., it'd apply whatever profiling it applies to Quake 3 -- although I'm not sure why that might be any better.

I just don't get what's taking them so long with the patch(es).

If I rename the game, it simply doesn't start.
 
Just completed the Whyatt timeline. It's a good game, but there are less and less opportunities for stealth as you approach the end, and of course a three-stage final boss-fight where it isn't even a possibility.

I hope there's an alternative ending. I'm just not sure I can slog through all that again.

Didn't have any performance problems at 2560x1440 with an R9 290.
 
Just completed the Whyatt timeline. It's a good game, but there are less and less opportunities for stealth as you approach the end, and of course a three-stage final boss-fight where it isn't even a possibility.

I hope there's an alternative ending. I'm just not sure I can slog through all that again.

Didn't have any performance problems at 2560x1440 with an R9 290.

There is New Game+.

You have to go to the chapter select screen and start the other timeline to make sure that works. If you simply select "new game" from the menu I got the idea that it would be exactly that and not New Game+.

I got the idea that the timelines weren't really terribly different and I'm all but certain the ending is the same no matter what.

If I'm wrong about any of that someone please correct me.
 
I'd also like to know if the game is even a tiny bit different playing the other time line.

I was going through the videos and, while I tried not to spoil it for myself, ended up watching one of the videos from the opposing timeline that I was playing, and it was basically just the other guy saying exactly what was said before.

I think that when you save Wyatt, you get the ability to pick locks on doors but when you save the other guy you get some other kind of ability. It opens up some alternate paths but I don't think they're <i>huge</i> alternate paths, just like a different vent you crawl through, or something.

I think that to keep your existing perks, you have to start a new game from the chapter select (select the first chapter). It'll probably wipe your progress if you actually go to start a new game.
 
There are small differences in both timelines. And with Fergus's timeline you use 2 wires to run bypasses instead of lockpick.
 
Just completed the Whyatt timeline. It's a good game, but there are less and less opportunities for stealth as you approach the end, and of course a three-stage final boss-fight where it isn't even a possibility.

I hope there's an alternative ending. I'm just not sure I can slog through all that again.

Didn't have any performance problems at 2560x1440 with an R9 290.


Doesn't matter when it looks like Rage, with blurry ass textures up close and far away popping in. It ruins the immersion and appeal of the game, period. id Tech 5 is the downfall of what was great about Carmack and id, but that doesn't matter anymore now that he's at Oculus VR. Sad but unfortunately don't expect anything different with Doom 4. Past id engines were scalable and could be modded, this engine seems pretty straightforward on what it does.
 
Anybody have suggestions on how to get this game to start? I'm just getting a black screen every time.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Catalyst 14.4 (although the game keeps telling me that my drivers may be out of date)

I have the Steam version, so I'm assuming it's fully patched.
 
Just beat the game on Hard difficulty. Was enjoyable but I liked Rage better, felt more open than Wolfenstein. Steam says it took me around 14 hrs, I was afk during some of that.
 
There are small differences in both timelines. And with Fergus's timeline you use 2 wires to run bypasses instead of lockpick.

I beat the Wyatt one and then just watched the differences in a mashup on YouTube. Not that different.
 
Anybody have suggestions on how to get this game to start? I'm just getting a black screen every time.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Catalyst 14.4 (although the game keeps telling me that my drivers may be out of date)

I have the Steam version, so I'm assuming it's fully patched.

I'm on 14.6 and it starts for me just fine. Maybe cut the AMD Evolved app off.
 
There are small differences in both timelines. And with Fergus's timeline you use 2 wires to run bypasses instead of lockpick.

I don't know about the lockpick, but I did the Fergus one and the two wires were pretty easy once you got the hang of it.
 
I am playing this game at 3440x1440 resolution and it seems to be running fine but I am not sure how to get rid of the help/guide/achievement window that pops in on the right side. Only half of it remains. Any idea what i can do to get rid of it?
 
I just finished this. It was an excellent game, I might have another go at it! With id Tech 5, graphics are a bit inconsistent. There are some times when the graphics are really impressive. The DoF and smoke effects made for some memorable scenes, but there's no denying that the graphics just don't hold up when you're too close to the low-rest textures. That said, the gameplay is solid.
 
I just finished this. It was an excellent game, I might have another go at it! With id Tech 5, graphics are a bit inconsistent. There are some times when the graphics are really impressive. The DoF and smoke effects made for some memorable scenes

So would you suggest keeping DoF on?

Personally, I typically disable DoF in games, because it usually feels like more of a hindrance than a help. But I think that may be more due to a game's implementation of it than the actual effect itself. I love DoF in photographs.

(I don't have the game yet, for the record)
 
So would you suggest keeping DoF on?

Personally, I typically disable DoF in games, because it usually feels like more of a hindrance than a help. But I think that may be more due to a game's implementation of it than the actual effect itself. I love DoF in photographs.

(I don't have the game yet, for the record)

I guess it comes down to personal preference, but I thought the DoF was well done. Certainly worth a try.

Perhaps the best game of the year?

I don't know about that, but I thought the game was underrated. id Tech 5 has some issues, but once you iron those out with a little tweaking (see an earlier post of mine in this thread), you're looking at a really enjoyable shooter.
 
Back
Top