Windows 8 Sales Hit 60M Since Launch

That's insane.

Is there any confirmation they are actually doing this?

BTW it wouldn't be without precedent. They did this with XP-Vista. Big OEMs/Corps could install XP, but they had to buy a Vista License to do so, and XP installs were still counted as Vista Licenses. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of upgrading my winxp machine to win8.... it's only 40 bucks... can I upgrade to win7 for less?

$15 bucks.
http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/

I've done three of these in the last week. Just fill in the date (I just used the current date) and told them I bought a Dell All In One. I think they still allow it to get their W8 numbers up.

They email you a code for $25 off that you enter during the upgrade process/payment. Makes it $15 plus tax for me. :)

Marketing turbines to full speed.

The Windows 8 road show, coming to a city near you.

2ptqvm8.jpg

There's a lot of people that use Stardock like programs to change the look of other windows to suit their taste. Some even almost convert it to OSX like.

And it is faster, even to open apps and swichting task, but i'am pretty sure it's only because they ditched the transparent borders in windows (thanks god) for a solid color... so it's faster on older hardware

Nope, I've done it three times this week.

Really. Widely reported everywhere as closed the next day and working for you?

I just tested it. It requires a proper Key.

Not just any key. I entered my Valid Win7 key and it was no good, because it was purchased before the window.

Color me skeptical of your claims.

Not just any key. I entered my Valid Win7 key and it was no good, because it was purchased before the window.

How's this?

z8fs.jpg

I'm also not sure where it's asking you for a key?

Those are both girls' cars. Is Windows a girls' OS?

Must be regional, I've never seen a girl drive one of these. lol

But the premise of that photo is, simple, plenty of power and pretty reliable. Then W8 = useless shit bolted on top.

It still works and never stopped. It was random in asking for a key to begin with. Also thinking Microsoft can tell when your machine was purchased based on the key is complete bullshit.

At best all they know about the key is when it was issued that means nothing in relation to when it was purchased.

Must be regional, I've never seen a girl drive one of these. lol

But the premise of that photo is, simple, plenty of power and pretty reliable. Then W8 = useless shit bolted on top.

That's what 7 was to Vista too you know. That is unless you believed the Apple marketing machine.

How's this?

z8fs.jpg

I'm also not sure where it's asking you for a key?

It asks for a key on page two (Validation), but I didn't capture that page and now it seems to have flagged my IP and just auto fails me if I try again.

But this is the page I saw, where I filled in my key:
6391512-620-440.jpg

Now I just get this automatically, without it letting me try another key or anything:

win8valid.png

Very strange that this still works for you when it was reported closed on Oct 31, a couple of days after it was found. Did you perhaps get your first one in before the loophole closed?

It asks for a key on page two (Validation), but I didn't capture that page and now it seems to have flagged my IP and just auto fails me if I try again.

But this is the page I saw, where I filled in my key:
6391512-620-440.jpg

Now I just get this automatically, without it letting me try another key or anything:

win8valid.png

Very strange that this still works for you when it was reported closed on Oct 31, a couple of days after it was found. Did you perhaps get your first one in before the loophole closed?

Check the date on my image. I've never seen that serial/validation page, what location are you using? Maybe it has regional/country differences? I just fill out the first page and done. I'm going to get my friend who did his last night to send me his screenshot.

For a short time they put the key validation page, it's seems they remove it ASAP, probably to make more sales so they can show us Bigger numbers

Don't exaggerate. Only 80% hate Win8. :D

Here are sales stats for an PC Build shop that gives users a choice of OS:

PugetSystems_Win7vsWin8_thumb.png

Yeah, but Puget Systems sells premium systems to ore tech savvy than average consumers.

Their customer base is hardly representative of the average windows user.

I installed Win8 on three PC's over the holiday break... none of them was my desktop PC. Two were upgraded from XP Pro 32 and one was from Vista Home 32. Two of them were my nephews gaming rigs and the last was my sons. All three systems were quad cores with 4GB ram which the 32bit OS's could only see 3.5GB. I wanted DX11 support as well. The only reason I upgraded them to that metro induced mess over Win7 Pro64 was the price. At $39 a pop for Win8 Pro64 it was a bargain IMHO and the reason many are upgrading to it.

I did not have any issues with activation. I used the "upgrade assistant" on my desktop machine to ensure I got the Win8 Pro64 download. After that I ran the assistant software on each PC I was upgrading and purchased the lic from that system. I then installed from the 64bit copy I downloaded on my desktop PC and used the activation key provided at time of sale. All three systems activated automatically as soon as I connected them to the interwebby with no additional input.

I still have absolutely no love for Win8 here even after banging on it for weeks. I just think metro is a hideous clusterf*ck of a mess. I had to go online to find how to shut the freaking thing down the first time. For a guy who's been banging on PC's since the mid 80's that was pretty frustrating. I used 3rd party software to get them to look like WinXP so the users could function.

On the plus side of Win8 I did not have a hard time getting it installed and experienced no crashes or instability. Some older games (like Fallout3 and a few GTA titles) were a pain to get running on it if at all. Aside from that no stability issues. I just cannot see recommending this OS to anyone who would ask me. Like Vista I'd say either pass or install Win7 if you are not already there.

My2c.

Some useless, but you also get some benefits under the hood that improve speed and reliability.

But, a lot of Windows 8 is new stickers and rims. Not all of it, though.

Some useless, but you also get some benefits under the hood that improve speed and reliability.

It boots a bit faster, like that matters much (saving 10 secs on something I might do once/week), but other than that speed is about the same.

The comparisons I read show it is about the same speed for gaming, and has a few more glitches.

I don't know what you are basing the reliability claims on. Being newer code with less bug fixes, it is likely going to have more glitches and issues to deal with than already very solid Win7.

Not sure when installing software became a hack.

You know exactly what he was referencing. For Win8 to even become tolerable I had to disable Metro all together, and bring back the start menu. Its a desktop computer, it should have a desktop OS... not some all in one tablet touch OS.

It boots a bit faster, like that matters much (saving 10 secs on something I might do once/week), but other than that speed is about the same.

The comparisons I read show it is about the same speed for gaming, and has a few more glitches.

I don't know what you are basing the reliability claims on. Being newer code with less bug fixes, it is likely going to have more glitches and issues to deal with than already very solid Win7.

My computer on an SSD boots to a ready to use desktop in 15 seconds. If Windows 8 shaves it to 8 seconds whats the point if it boots to a horrible UI. I would rather take the 15 seconds and have a desktop OS.

I still have absolutely no love for Win8 here even after banging on it for weeks. I just think metro is a hideous clusterf*ck of a mess. I had to go online to find how to shut the freaking thing down the first time. For a guy who's been banging on PC's since the mid 80's that was pretty frustrating. I used 3rd party software to get them to look like WinXP so the users could function.

So as a guy "who's been banging on PC's since the mid 80's" you have no idea about executing the shutdown command from Run which you can easily access by hitting Windows key + R?

You know exactly what he was referencing. For Win8 to even become tolerable I had to disable Metro all together, and bring back the start menu. Its a desktop computer, it should have a desktop OS... not some all in one tablet touch OS.

Argument still doesn't hold water.

WTF is wrong with launching a program from the metro UI? Don't want ANY of the apps? DELETE THE ICONS AND PUT IN THE PROGRAMS YOU USE!

Gadzooks, can you be any more lazy?

If you use the OS properly as a desktop OS you don't even GO to the metro UI except in rare circumstances.

But at it's core, it's a start menu. And it's FASTER than clicking START-PROGRAMS-FOLDER-PROGRAM ala Win7.

Come on, TRY to use it before you rip it to shreds.

WTF is wrong with launching a program from the metro UI? Don't want ANY of the apps? DELETE THE ICONS AND PUT IN THE PROGRAMS YOU USE!

If you use the OS properly as a desktop OS you don't even GO to the metro UI except in rare circumstances.

But at it's core, it's a start menu. And it's FASTER than clicking START-PROGRAMS-FOLDER-PROGRAM ala Win7.

Most the people I've seen complaining seem to think that the Start Screen is some sort of alternative operating system attached to Windows. Really though, at worst on the desktop it's just a launcher, and it works fine.

So as a guy "who's been banging on PC's since the mid 80's" you have no idea about executing the shutdown command from Run which you can easily access by hitting Windows key + R?

Should you really need to do this on a oh so awesome, new, hip, up to date, superior OS? I don't think so. I am sure many of us enthusiasts know this, but I don't think we should have to do that.

I also had to lookup how to shut it down. That is NOT a very smart way to start a user experience on a new OS. I also have been a enthusiast and builder since the early to mid 90's

Lazy? I spent 20 minutes just making the OS NOT resemble what is on my many tablets etc. It would be different if the entire world revolved around social media, M$ products, and pastel easter egg color schemes, oh AND if even 1% of the desktop market had touch screens. That however is NOT the case.

Now after I did what MANY people I know did... and transformed the OS into a viable desktop environment, it has been fine.

Now if Win 8 just simply allowed a option to disable Metro during installation, and have a decent start menu without using 3rd party software, Win8 would have been MUCH better received in my opinion. Which happens to also be the opinion of MANY people in the tech industry. I am far from alone with my opinion.

Most the people I've seen complaining seem to think that the Start Screen is some sort of alternative operating system attached to Windows. Really though, at worst on the desktop it's just a launcher, and it works fine.

I've said it before, all this bitching over a start "Screen" over a start "Menu" is effing dumb. Oh noz, you can't see your desktop when browsing through an inneficient menu structure... WTF do you need to see the desktop for anyway when trying to launch a program?

Don't like the live tiles? Disable it and you are done....

Don't like the pre-installed apps? Delete them....

Don't like shit opening in the metro apps by default? Change the default program......

Now you are down to a customized start SCREEN, which is much easier to use/customize than the start menu from a decade ago. You guys are making a mountain out of a pebble and nitpicking over the most pathetic crap to dismiss the entire OS. If you don't like it then stay on 7 and stop clogging up the threads with your verbal diarrhea.

That's the main reason I upgraded, for some of the behind the scenes stuff.

Faster boot is worth it for me, I shut my computer down whenever I'm not using it. Basically I should shut it down to go take a poop and start it back up. All while not feeling like I even shut it down. Though that's an extreme example, I turn it off at night completely and shut it down whenever I leave the house or go to work on something for a while. I would NEVER shut XP down and would usually not shut down 7 as much as I do on 8.

I wasn't really expecting a game speed boost.

I haven't really noticed any bugs. And the one bug I thought I had with Start8 wasn't a bug. I had the option for the metro menu/ui to popup with the right windows key (which my kb doesn't have) but it had the option for ctrl+ein key to simulate the right key. Which I was accidentally hitting the ctrl key with win key unknowingly. I disabled that, problem solved.

I usually tap the win key and type the first couple of letters for an app or something I need. It was a single search repository for OS stuff. It's kinda retarded, I tried metro again the other day and was like WTF, if I search in start I get what I need. But if I do it in modern UI I don't? How is that useful? It still pisses me off, if they can fix that in a service pack along with other broken shit, it would be fine.

^This, the app on the modern UI confusion between desktop apps is fucking retarded.

Also one thing that pisses me the fuck off. If you use IE on modern UI, playing music or some shit all is well. Then you drop to the desktop to do something, it stops your fucking music. WHY is that doing that by default? Maybe I wanted to listen to my playlist while working on something on the desktop. Metro UI is still a c**t.

Yes.. I know how to do it smartass. The computers were for my nephews and son. Not that I included their ages in the post but FYI they are 16, 14 and 6 years of age. Learning how to shut Win8 down from metro was for them.. not me. No way in hell I'm installing that tablet OS on my rig.

Now explain to me how having to Windows key + R & run a command to shut down a pooter is such an improvement over 2 mouse clicks in the previous OS's that everyone could easily find... cuz I'm really interested in hearing it... really. F*cking fanboi's never change. :rolleyes:

Faster boot is worth it for me, I shut my computer down whenever I'm not using it. Basically I should shut it down to go take a poop and start it back up. All while not feeling like I even shut it down. Though that's an extreme example, I turn it off at night completely and shut it down whenever I leave the house or go to work on something for a while.

For most of these things, sleep is better than shutting it down. It comes back instantly with all your programs where you left them. One KB click to sleep, and one mouse click to instantly bring it back to life where I left off, makes booting speed irrelevant.

I seldom actually shut my computer down unless I am leaving on Vacation. Reboots happen once/week or less for some installs.

I haven't really noticed any bugs.

You haven't noticed any bugs, doesn't really translate into your claims that it is more reliable than Win7, and I have read of many glitches with various programs. They will eventually be sorted out, but initially it is likely more probablematic than just using 7.

Yes.. I know how to do it smartass. The computers were for my nephews and son. Not that I included their ages in the post but FYI they are 16, 14 and 6 years of age. Learning how to shut Win8 down from metro was for them.. not me. No way in hell I'm installing that tablet OS on my rig.

Now explain to me how having to Windows key + R & run a command to shut down a pooter is such an improvement over 2 mouse clicks in the previous OS's that everyone could easily find... cuz I'm really interested in hearing it... really. F*cking fanboi's never change. :rolleyes:

It's still 2 mouse clicks, just a different menu. If your biggest complaint is that you had to teach them how to turn off the system.... Those are some pretty pathetic items to shun a whole OS about.

I've only ever tried Windows 8 in a retail store when playing with a demo tablet.

It seemed to work pretty well, and wasn't bad.

In all the screenshots though, I can't get over how FLAT and SQUARE everything looks, with its , lack of shading, or gradients or anything, just flat colors.

It's, aesthetically, very difficult to look at, IMHO.

There may be ways to change all this, and apply custom themes etc, but I have yet to play with it so I don't know.

More importantly to me is, It doesn't seem to bring me anything really that I don't already have in the Windows 7 Pro license I already own.

I'd be happy to own an x86 Windows 8 Tablet though.

And if something comes along that works markedly better in Windows 8 than it does in 7, I'm open to upgrading, but in order to sacrifice my more aesthetically pleasing Windows 7, it would really have to be a good deal better, not just something small.

Wait Windows 7 and 8 have crankwalk, sloppy suspension, and a kind of crappy awd system that's only really good for launches?? And Windows 8 is gaudy on top of all that?

Well I don't exactly know how its an improvement since that functionality existed previous to Win8 which you should probably already know.

I was just pointing out something that is all too common on the forums when it comes to Win8 discussions is all these users out there who are uber-harcore-tech savvy-enthusiasts that have been around forever complaining about details that are quite easy to circumvent for those of us who actually are true power users.

It took me all about 30 mins to figure out where everything I needed in Win8 was and how to access things as quickly if not faster than I am able to in Win7. On top of that I have 12 VM's running on Client Hyper-V for my at home test lab. All of my applications work and everything is running rock solid. Honestly I havent found a single thing to complain about with Win8.

Back