Windows 8 Sales Hit 60M Since Launch

Haha! I just looked at Eman D. Rahym's post history and yeah, it's pretty obvious that this is the exact same person as heatlessspam hiding behind a different name. I recall a few threads in which this particular name came to heatless' defense and was like, "Oh, there's another nutcase with the same issues," but it's nice to know that:

heatlesssun and Eman D. Rahym are the same person and post history totally proves it!

At this point, I fully agree.
They even post in-tandem with one another and come to each other's defenses.

In short, they are the Microsoft yin and yang.
You can't have one without the other! :D

At this point, I fully agree.
They even post in-tandem with one another and come to each other's defenses.

In short, they are the Microsoft yin and yang.
You can't have one without the other! :D

It's kinda hard to hide a person's tone completely in their posts and you can read a lot of similar language between the two in post histories. I just think it's sorta silly. If a person's opinion isn't credible enough to stand all by itself or is so easily doubted that even the person with the opinion goes through the trouble of creating additional persona to support themselves, maybe the opinion just isn't worth sharing to begin with.

I use and love Windows 8. I'm very used to it, and it works great for me. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's a definite upgrade from Windows 7.

But, we all have different tastes. Some think Windows should be WinBlows and run Linux or OSX exclusively. I really enjoy using Windows 8, though.

Windows 8 sales are typical. A lot of OEM's and then a bunch of personal (why not with $15.00 upgrade!?).

As far as a solid OS, us "technical" people like it. On a non touch panel system, yeah - the metro interface doesn't make sense. Under the hood, it's a great OS. Faster, leaner, and as new as it is, it's stable.

Bingo. +1

It succeeds at everything. It's faster than 7, it's stable as heck, and it bridges the gap with MS tablets.

Because it's a downgrade. You couldn't even pay me a small amount of money to use it.

Or take the small amount of money and then be like me and leave it sitting on another partition that hasn't been booted on in the past few months.

If the OEM machines are collecting dust then you have to wonder why the OEMs would keep on buying Windows 8 licenses. The fact that Microsoft continues to sell Windows 8 licenses indicates that perhaps the OEM machines aren't actually collecting dust but are in fact selling.

It likely will not make much of a difference. People who need a new computer need a new computer. If they are not even offered Win 7, then they will go with what they can buy. Which is Win 8 or an Apple computer.

I recently bought a laptop. It came with Win 8 pre-installed. I have no option of installing Win 7 unless I buy another license ($100+). If given the option I would have gone with Win 7 as Win 8 just has too many issues and I really hate the UI and switching between Metro/desktop mode.

It likely will not make much of a difference. People who need a new computer need a new computer. If they are not even offered Win 7, then they will go with what they can buy. Which is Win 8 or an Apple computer.

I recently bought a laptop. It came with Win 8 pre-installed. I have no option of installing Win 7 unless I buy another license ($100+). If given the option I would have gone with Win 7 as Win 8 just has too many issues and I really hate the UI and switching between Metro/desktop mode.

Actually you can easily install 7 with out paying an extra cent.. Just make sure your OEM copy of Windows is PRO that Automatically entitles you to Downgrade rights or in the case of Windows 8 upgrade to windows 7.

Windows 8 is not stable by any means especially the server version. Its buggy as hell no where to 2k8r2 status even when it was RTM.

Actually you can easily install 7 with out paying an extra cent.. Just make sure your OEM copy of Windows is PRO that Automatically entitles you to Downgrade rights or in the case of Windows 8 upgrade to windows 7.

Windows 8 is not stable by any means especially the server version. Its buggy as hell no where to 2k8r2 status even when it was RTM.

But how much more does Pro cost? Most OEMs probably aren't installing Pro by default, so if you got Win8 against your wishes, you likely can't downgrade for free.

Personally I'm loving Win 8. I at first was turned off by the metro interface in the early betas but after trying out a retail release with Classic Shell installed I was sold. Extremely stable, very fast boots, and it's compatible with any software 7 was compatible with. I ended up taking advantage of the upgrade discount and picking up licenses for my entire network and then just doing full installs across the board.

Silly of Microsoft to force Metro on desktop users, but thankfully there are many options to rectify that and most are free.

Because it's a downgrade. You couldn't even pay me a small amount of money to use it.

Really? It's a great upgrade for me. Well worth the money. $150? Nah, or I'd think about it pretty damn hard. $15-$50, yes. No doubts at all.

I recently helped my niece with her new HP laptop. She is moving up from windows xp so I put the classic shell software on it and she likes it. There are windows 7 faces for it and if I were to end up with a copy of windows 8 on one of my computers I would just change it. I read something recently that says it does not perform any faster than windows 7 in most things.

Upgrade for me in more way then 1. I have also made money by others looking to use Win8, some request to remove metro, some asked me how to utilize it. I think the Win8 hate on [H] is hilarious and is unmatched even by the Apple [H].

Silly of Microsoft to force Metro on desktop users, but thankfully there are many options to rectify that and most are free.

That is the #1 thing people ask about in forums (Microsoft Communities) - how to bring back the start menu. Thing is, most IT professionals won't use the third party tool, it has to come from Microsoft or be available via group policy. Our department will let us IT people use it, but not the end users (except for sales - they get the Lenovo devices with touchscreen). It would require too much training and cause more confusion. We're not in the business of training our users, but supporting them. Of course, there have been a couple (2%, tops) that needed training on Windows 7 that I provided after hours, volunteer. Windows 8 would require a classroom full of people. These are the people that use Excel, Word, custom apps. They know how to launch them and use them. Windows is just the launch pad. Change something and they get confused. Hell, put the task bar on the side of the screen and they'd need training on how to use it! I'd wager a guess and say that at LEAST 50% would need training on Windows 8 (compared to the 2% on Win7). I love Windows 8, but I've seen a lot of people that are confused with it. This isn't my opinion, it's fact. Windows 8 is excellent, but I'm in the minority that think so. :/

I think the Win8 hate on [H] is hilarious and is unmatched even by the Apple [H].

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Apple still sucks hard. :)

Windows is usually a like/dislike, but with Windows 8, the spread is more like love/hate and is worse than Vista. And 99% of it comes down to the new UI. I'm not saying it's bad (I like it), but it may be the single thing that stops Windows 8 from being a success. Too many people don't like it.

The company with a monopoly on the desktop PC OS market sells many units of its new PC OS. Couldn't have anticipated that.

The company with a monopoly on the desktop PC OS market sells many units of its new PC OS. Couldn't have anticipated that.

Monopoly? Hardly. OSX, Linux, BSD are very viable and usable operating systems. If you can persuade third party developers to develop for those other platforms, I'm sure the market share will improve for those. It's not the OS that is controlling that, but the programs. I am sure that if some of the major ones did create apps for the other OS's and had great support that they would be more successful.

Office is on Mac OSX, so that's a plus. I am not sure why it isn't a bit more popular.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Apple still sucks hard. :)

Windows is usually a like/dislike, but with Windows 8, the spread is more like love/hate and is worse than Vista. And 99% of it comes down to the new UI. I'm not saying it's bad (I like it), but it may be the single thing that stops Windows 8 from being a success. Too many people don't like it.

I'm not a big fan of the business side of Apple but I do like their products. I do see where you are coming from :p

I did like Vista a lot. XP was so much trouble at the end of its cycle. Sure every OS has problems but what Win8 gives (don't care if you dislike Metro or not) I can't say its a bad OS.

So if Windows 8 sells poorly it's a "failure" but if it sells well it's only because Microsoft is a monopoly? :confused:

Yes, of course. No way can Micro$oft (that's how they spell it, right?) can succeed on it's merits and superior products. Duh. You just don't know how the world works. Only inferior products can be successful and not a failure. Only the underdog can win. Hipsters did it first.... </sarcasm?>

Personally I'm loving Win 8. I at first was turned off by the metro interface in the early betas but after trying out a retail release with Classic Shell installed I was sold.

I recently helped my niece with her new HP laptop. She is moving up from windows xp so I put the classic shell software on it and she likes it.

So it seems that some portion of even those who love/like Win8, have to hack it to be more like Win7. That is quite an endorsement.

Monopoly? Hardly. OSX, Linux, BSD are very viable and usable operating systems. If you can persuade third party developers to develop for those other platforms, I'm sure the market share will improve for those. It's not the OS that is controlling that, but the programs. I am sure that if some of the major ones did create apps for the other OS's and had great support that they would be more successful.
It's a monopoly until developers (...developers developers developers) actually start developing for other platforms which gives the end user choice. Sure, IF you can persuade developers, it's not a monopoly, if you can't, then it remains a monopoly.

So it seems that some portion of even those who love/like Win8, have to hack it to be more like Win7. That is quite an endorsement.

Crazy isn't it? Windows 8 becomes good when you remove all the key elements that make it Windows 8!

Just because someone made the GUI look like Win7 doesn't make it 'like' Win7.

Nobody complained about Windows 7. Microsoft gets credit when its deserved. Windows 8 is criticized because it's trash.

Windows 7 was mostly viewed in shadow of Vista, what a lot of people did consider trash and 7 didn't try to change much, it was more a fit and finish release that was meant to put Vista behind it and in that regard it was well received.

However that was a life time ago with no iPad or other Android tablets in the mix and the incredible rise of mobile computing. Not only is Windows 8 viewed in the shadow of Windows 7 the market the challenges and conditions for Windows 8 are much greater today. The desktop simply isn't focus of mainstream computing these days and the changes in Windows 8 are definitely not familiar to folks that have used essentially the same UI for nearly two decades.

Crazy isn't it? Windows 8 becomes good when you remove all the key elements that make it Windows 8!

Good perhaps if you want Windows 7, not so good if you want things Windows 7 isn't particularly good at like tablet support.

Windows 7 was mostly viewed in shadow of Vista, what a lot of people did consider trash and 7 didn't try to change much, it was more a fit and finish release that was meant to put Vista behind it and in that regard it was well received.

However that was a life time ago with no iPad or other Android tablets in the mix and the incredible rise of mobile computing. Not only is Windows 8 viewed in the shadow of Windows 7 the market the challenges and conditions for Windows 8 are much greater today. The desktop simply isn't focus of mainstream computing these days and the changes in Windows 8 are definitely not familiar to folks that have used essentially the same UI for nearly two decades.

Mainstream computing? Most if not all content is created on desktop platforms for mobile. Desktops are not going anywhere soon.

It blows my mind how people just think desktops are going to replaced with a tablet tomorrow.

Mobile computing still has a ways to go before it transitions from a toy/luxury to productivity/essential product.

It's fabulous on my HTPC. My two primary desktops use Start8 for convenience.

It's a POS on my HTPC. It starts in Metro, then if you launch XBMC it drops to desktop, when you exit XBMC it doesn't return to metro, it leaves you at the desktop, so if you launch Netflix after you exit XBMC you get the browser app which is different from the Metro app you get if you launch it from when you first turn on the PC. Explaining this and other nuttiness elicits the "why did you replace our Bluray player?" look. I ended up making custom shortcuts on my logitech remote which is inane.

Also, I never quite understood the "I love win8, I made it look just like win7!" perspective. So then why did you... ? It's not faster, benchmarks prove this and if you don't use hibernate the time from cold boot to ability to start first app is the same. It seems interesting on new touchscreen laptops and all-in-one PCs but having two disparate desktops makes no sense and I'm not sure I like my fingerprints all over my screen.

If you have to go through additional effort to make your new OS look and act like your old one then it's not much of an upgrade.

Mainstream computing? Most if not all content is created on desktop platforms for mobile. Desktops are not going anywhere soon.

It blows my mind how people just think desktops are going to replaced with a tablet tomorrow.

Mobile computing still has a ways to go before it transitions from a toy/luxury to productivity/essential product.

But the focus of computing isn't on content creation, if it were then tablets would be selling as well as they are. I never said that desktops were going away but think about it. When Windows 7 came out just three years ago you really did need a PC just to surf the web well. Now that can be done on tablets, and web browsing is by far and away the #1 thing people need computing devices for.

That is the #1 thing people ask about in forums (Microsoft Communities) - how to bring back the start menu. Thing is, most IT professionals won't use the third party tool, it has to come from Microsoft or be available via group policy. Our department will let us IT people use it, but not the end users (except for sales - they get the Lenovo devices with touchscreen). It would require too much training and cause more confusion. We're not in the business of training our users, but supporting them. Of course, there have been a couple (2%, tops) that needed training on Windows 7 that I provided after hours, volunteer. Windows 8 would require a classroom full of people. These are the people that use Excel, Word, custom apps. They know how to launch them and use them. Windows is just the launch pad. Change something and they get confused. Hell, put the task bar on the side of the screen and they'd need training on how to use it! I'd wager a guess and say that at LEAST 50% would need training on Windows 8 (compared to the 2% on Win7). I love Windows 8, but I've seen a lot of people that are confused with it. This isn't my opinion, it's fact. Windows 8 is excellent, but I'm in the minority that think so. :/

My thoughts and feelings exactly.

So people have to delete the new Task Manager, the new File Copy dialog, Storage Spaces, the improved anti-virus and other security enhancements among other things to make it good? Why not just stick with Windows 7?

Also, I never quite understood the "I love win8, I made it look just like win7!" perspective. So then why did you... ? It's not faster, benchmarks prove this and if you don't use hibernate the time from cold boot to ability to start first app is the same. It seems interesting on new touchscreen laptops and all-in-one PCs but having two disparate desktops makes no sense and I'm not sure I like my fingerprints all over my screen.

30 second boot to 10 second boot was worth $20 bucks for me. Everything else works the same, and if you split that $20 over the course of 2-3 years; it's nothing. Plus I like the look without the Modern UI better with Start8 on my desktop.

Is there any way to permanently remove metro? I don't mean disable it or do something hacky like dump yourself to the desktop after it has already loaded. Is there a way to simply remove it completely or atleast disable it?

That came out wrong. What I meant to say was, can you uninstall it, and if not, atleast disable it? All the hacky tricks to dump yourself to the desktop on boot are kind of cheesy

Man whatever, even if you can do this I still won't be bothered. I hate to do these stupid things to remove what makes the OS what it is. Would be a pain in the ass to remove metro, install StartIsBack and then have to service some Windows 8 PC without those tools. Microsoft should really get their ass together and come out with an update to save face.

Back