Windows 8 RTM vs win8 release preview

It...sounds like you're using Windows 8 on a desktop or laptop. Why were you using Metro IE? You can set the desktop version of IE as the default browser, you know... wouldn't be a problem if you simply did that

I had good rebuttles for almost everything. Or so I thought :D. But then I thought all I needed to do was was quote this. This is pretty much what everyone is saying. Are you saying I shouldn't have been using metro ie because I have a full desktop version I can be using. This can be said about virtually ALL apps. And this is the problem. Two ui's to manage. The metro ui being completely inferior yetforced on us.

This is the 2nd Tim in this thread that someone said I should have been using the full desktop counterpart to the metro app. Then why is there a metro app? Switching back and forth between two interfaces. Oh darn can do this in metro, lets Goto the desktop, launch the browser, Goto whatever app's website I was just at to get full functionality.

I haven't even touched on instant search being a step backwards too. I will when I get to a PC.

Correct, and you can just right click repeatedly to cycle through all open Metro apps without sliding down. You can also use Windows+Tab to tab through all open Metro apps or Alt-Tab to tab through all open apps, desktop or Metro. On a touch device to get the side bar like using the top left hoy corner with a mouse you simply slide a finger from the left edge towards the center of the screen. And the new touch pads for many Windows 8 devices will support similar edge swiping and other gestures for navigation.

Right click a corner repeatedly instead of a taskbar. Rift clicking amd pass your window? Go all the way back around.

If that bar that pops out when you "swipe" down from the top left appeared automatically when moving your mouse to ANY part of the left side it would be magnitudes more intuitive.

My point here is that any one of these single gripes I've had is not a deal breaker. But put them all together and its the definition of retardednessityous.

I dont use any of that shit anyways. I use pidgin for chatting, hotmail.com...Im not using the lame ass buggy apps in Win8.

Prime perfect example. Do you logon to a pidgin account to use pidgin? No. You simply log in to the accounts you're trying to access.

Right click a corner repeatedly instead of a taskbar. Rift clicking amd pass your window? Go all the way back around.

If that bar that pops out when you "swipe" down from the top left appeared automatically when moving your mouse to ANY part of the left side it would be magnitudes more intuitive.

My point here is that any one of these single gripes I've had is not a deal breaker. But put them all together and its the definition of retardednessityous.

Swipe from the sides with a touch device, point to the corners with a mouse, that's really all there is to. I don't know how intuitive that is but that doesn't really seem particularly hard to pick up.

No you can't. You tie a Google phone to your Google gmail account. Its 1 to 1.

I could see this analogy if Ms made me sign into my live account to access my live email. But this isn't the case.

Of course you can still do it all through ie. Use that as an example of how it should be done. Imagine going to gmail.com but before the page loads you have to log into your Ms account. Then you van get to your gmail.

My example was more based on - if you want to tie your non-Gmail account to your Android phone, you first have to tie the Android phone to a gmail account. Sure it logs in automatically, but you still need a gmail account to use non-gmail mail on an Android phone. So pretty much what you described for Win 8 - I need an MS account to use non-MS email on the MS app.

But again, I've never tried using an Android phone without a gmail account, so maybe it actually doesn't work that way.

My example was more based on - if you want to tie your non-Gmail account to your Android phone, you first have to tie the Android phone to a gmail account. Sure it logs in automatically, but you still need a gmail account to use non-gmail mail on an Android phone. So pretty much what you described for Win 8 - I need an MS account to use non-MS email on the MS app.

But again, I've never tried using an Android phone without a gmail account, so maybe it actually doesn't work that way.
It is possible to use an Android phone without a Google account. In Gingerbread and before, there is a hidden option to skip setup by touching the four corners of the setup screen. In Ice Cream Sandwich, they changed the setup screen to have a skip option right below sign-in and signup options. I don't think you can use the Play store without logging in with a Google account, but other apps work fine and you can always manually install additional apps or use a non-Google app store.

"The touch-centric Metro UI also gets improvements, including new touch gestures for supported trackpads."

I hope MS goes all the way and includes drivers for current gestures. It's an area that OEMs constantly fuck up.

On thing that I noticed with the RTM that's very cool. I had a rebate form that needs to me mailed by tomorrow so I downloaded the form, it was a PDF document so I saved it to one my tablets, opened it up in the Reader app and just filled in it with a pen, a nice little touch for that app on tablets. I then realized that I hadn't installed any printer drivers on that tablet but when to go try to print it.

What do you know, my networked multi-function Brother laser printer, copier, fax, scanner, sitting there in Devices Charm ready to print, didn't have to do anything. That's pretty damned cool. Looks like this new to the RTM as the test versions never did this that I saw. Unfortunately no drivers for the scanner and other functions, the Windows 7 drivers however installed with no problem to support that stuff.

I would think that support for the scanner and other functions should be able to be installed as well with the new printer drivers, but still just having the printer all setup with no effort is still neat.

On thing that I noticed with the RTM that's very cool. I had a rebate form that needs to me mailed by tomorrow so I downloaded the form, it was a PDF document so I saved it to one my tablets, opened it up in the Reader app and just filled in it with a pen, a nice little touch for that app on tablets. I then realized that I hadn't installed any printer drivers on that tablet but when to go try to print it.

What do you know, my networked multi-function Brother laser printer, copier, fax, scanner, sitting there in Devices Charm ready to print, didn't have to do anything. That's pretty damned cool. Looks like this new to the RTM as the test versions never did this that I saw. Unfortunately no drivers for the scanner and other functions, the Windows 7 drivers however installed with no problem to support that stuff.

I would think that support for the scanner and other functions should be able to be installed as well with the new printer drivers, but still just having the printer all setup with no effort is still neat.

They actually did a development blog post about this at one point: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/07/25/simplifying-printing-in-windows-8.aspx

Apparently they're putting a lot of effort into unified printing api's/drivers/etc. to streamline the whole process of installing printers.

I had good rebuttles for almost everything. Or so I thought :D. But then I thought all I needed to do was was quote this. This is pretty much what everyone is saying. Are you saying I shouldn't have been using metro ie because I have a full desktop version I can be using. This can be said about virtually ALL apps. And this is the problem. Two ui's to manage. The metro ui being completely inferior yetforced on us.
I'm sorry, but what is the complaint here?

Are you saying that, just because there's a desktop version of a particular program that better fits your current mode of input (keyboard and mouse) that no other versions of the same application should exist? Are you complaining that you have been given a choice? That's about as ridiculous as installing Word 2013 and then complaining that Wordpad is useless, should have never existed, and should have never been included with Windows.

Windows 8 runs both metro/modern and desktop apps, that's the entire point. If you're using Windows 8 with a keyboard and mouse, you'll obviously probably tend towards the desktop versions of applications. Why is this a problem?

And I disagree with the metro/modern UI being "inferior" just because some of the current selection of apps built using that UI have reduced functionality. There is NOTHING stopping someone from writing a metro e-mail client with all the functionality of the desktop version of Outlook 2013, but the OS isn't actually out yet, developers havn't had much time to sink their teeth into it yet.

Last edited:
There is NOTHING stopping someone from writing a metro e-mail client with all the functionality of the desktop version of Outlook 2013, but the OS isn't actually out yet, developers havn't had much time to sink their teeth into it yet.

In time there's no doubt that we're going to see some pretty powerful Metro apps but there are a few issues with developing productivity apps in Metro, the biggest one being that there can only be a single instance or if running on a single screen, that does present some challenges.

I think people are looking at it as an either or thing, it's desktop OR Metro. The reality is Windows 8 is a hybrid, even Windows RT even is though the desktop locked down there. With Windows 8 it is still both and. I really don't think Microsoft sees the desktop as going away and has any idea that Metro apps are necessarily are for or even meant to replace productivity desktop apps. It really is a side-by-side proposition and many cases we're going to see many more desktop and Metro versions of apps. It's not really any different than it is today where there's desktop and tablet versions of some applications, it's just that in the case of Windows 8 you can run both on the same device and it's up to the user to decide which one fits the need. You might use the desktop version when on a keyboard and mouse workstation and the tablet version on the go for lighter stuff. In some cases like Office 2013 you're probably going to see a number of desktop applications that have touch improvements or even touch modes.

In some cases like Office 2013 you're probably going to see a number of desktop applications that have touch improvements or even touch modes.
All of the applications in the Office 2013 preview already have a "touch mode" :p

Microsoft seems to be using office 2013 as an example of a desktop metro application (as apposed to a WinRT metro application).

When used with a keyboard and mouse, they look largely like their Office 2010 counterparts. If it detects that you've started interacting using an input device that is registered as a touch screen, the UI shifts into a touch-friendly mode that hides the titlebar and makes some things a bit larger and easier to hit with fingers. You can also enable a button to force the change if you want.

Yeah, I was using Office 2013 as an example, and it works pretty well in some apps, not so great in others especially Visio. Touch is actually pretty great in OneNote.

I think that in time we're going to see a lot of desktop apps incorporate touch if Windows 8 sells well on tablets if for no other reason it will give people a reason to buy software upgrades.

Regarding the last few posts, not going to quote all of them.

You guys are talking about exactly why this shouldn't be on a desktop PC.

My complaint? These apps will never hold the same functionality as their desktop counterparts.

So then you ask... Whats the problem? Just don't use them!

I'm forced into that interface every time I need to use the Start Menu, which I must admit isn't often. I mostly use it to get to Computer, which I've had to reteach myself to just use the Explorer Icon instead. Also, it requires changing default programs to NOT use them. Either install something else or a user has to change the program in which a file is opened. For instance, to open an audio file it automatically dumps you into the Xbox Music App. But I didn't want to be taken away from what I was doing. Had this opened on my desktop where I was working in WMP like it has always done I could have still been working. To get back to what I was doing I now have to bring up the start menu again and choose the desktop. How can you say this is NOT counter intuitive?

You guys also talk about "touch mode" for the Office 2013 apps. How about extending that into the entire operating system!

I like some of Win8's other features. Like Hyper-V right on my desktop. But I find myself avoiding Metro like the plague. Its just not functional enough for me. Not by a long shot.

Last edited:
As I promised... Instant search. Probably my #1 feature about 7/Vista. Hit the start menu and start typing.

Now you hit the start menu and start typing it still searches, but its broken down into 3 catagories: Apps, Settings, Files. Previous start menu had these all in a single list. I could look at the closest matches for all three.

Now... If I'm searching for something in the start menu if its default category is Apps. If I'm searching for something that wouldn't show up in apps like "display", I have to choose another category. The obvious one being Settings.

So instant search isn't so instant anymore

Windows 7: Start Menu ---> type display ---> hit enter ----> display properties appear
Windows 8: Start Screen ---> type display ---> click settings category ---> choose display properties ---> display properties appear

I have enough screen real estate, as most people with any modern monitor that it would be easy enough to put results from all 3 categories on the screen at the same time, in columns for instance...

Again, instant search not being as instant as it was before. This alone is not a deal breaker, but as I said before, add it to the list of steps backwards and it becomes a problem.

oh boy.... just tried to access a network share.

howd we do this before? start menu and and type \\iporservername

Cant do that anymore. I have to open explorer or use the run command. LOL the run dialog box? You mean that dialog box the instant search box replaced in Windows7?

*edit*

nevermind.... after pressing enter 20 times I gave up and just exited the start menu as it wasn't doing anything. 30 seconds later I get a boatload of cannot access that share dialog boxes all at once. A fraction of the original gripe now. It shoulda done SOMETHING to let me know it was trying rather than just sitting there.

Are you done yet? Seems like you have a personal vendetta to crap all over Windows 8. :rolleyes:

I don't have a LAN any more to test, but what's wrong with just adding the network share as a favorite in explorer? Then open explorer, click on the share, and done.

Regarding the last few posts, not going to quote all of them.

You guys are talking about exactly why this shouldn't be on a desktop PC.

My complaint? These apps will never hold the same functionality as their desktop counterparts.

So then you ask... Whats the problem? Just don't use them!

I'm forced into that interface every time I need to use the Start Menu, which I must admit isn't often. I mostly use it to get to Computer, which I've had to reteach myself to just use the Explorer Icon instead. Also, it requires changing default programs to NOT use them. Either install something else or a user has to change the program in which a file is opened. For instance, to open an audio file it automatically dumps you into the Xbox Music App. But I didn't want to be taken away from what I was doing. Had this opened on my desktop where I was working in WMP like it has always done I could have still been working. To get back to what I was doing I now have to bring up the start menu again and choose the desktop. How can you say this is NOT counter intuitive?

I can agree on there should be an upfront option to use desktop versus Metro apps. That said for a lot of people, the Metro apps will be something nice and new that they might enjoy. Does everything on the PC have to have a zillion features that lots of people don't use? Can't the PC also have a cleaner, simpler experience?

As for being taken away and still be working, you were already taken away from what you were doing by launching another program weren't you? In any case you'd still have to go back to the place where you where working. Windows+D takes you instantly back to the desktop.

You guys also talk about "touch mode" for the Office 2013 apps. How about extending that into the entire operating system!

Well, the Start Screen that you don't like does exactly this. Plus there are other enhancements like the Ribbon in the File Explorer and better touch targeting. But there's really no way to systemically dramatically improve touch in applications that were only designed for keyboards and mice. We've been down this road on the desktop with Windows 7 and even Vista and very few people found touch to work on the desktop well with traditional desktop apps. Thus one reason why a whole new generation of apps needs to be written to account for touch.

Am I done? Well... that's up to Win8 <rolls eyes at you too>

Instead of relearning new steps to get through it quicker, you're using 7 & older methodology for GUI traversal. So really, it's all up to you in regards to how much Windows 8 really bothers you. You could just go back to using 7 & not get your blood pressure so high.

As I promised... Instant search. Probably my #1 feature about 7/Vista. Hit the start menu and start typing.

Now you hit the start menu and start typing it still searches, but its broken down into 3 catagories: Apps, Settings, Files. Previous start menu had these all in a single list. I could look at the closest matches for all three.

Now... If I'm searching for something in the start menu if its default category is Apps. If I'm searching for something that wouldn't show up in apps like "display", I have to choose another category. The obvious one being Settings.

Windows 7: Start Menu ---> type display ---> hit enter ----> display properties appear
Windows 8: Start Screen ---> type display ---> click settings category ---> choose display properties ---> display properties appear

I have enough screen real estate, as most people with any modern monitor that it would be easy enough to put results from all 3 categories on the screen at the same time, in columns for instance...

Again, instant search not being as instant as it was before. This alone is not a deal breaker, but as I said before, add it to the list of steps backwards and it becomes a problem.

But there's MUCH more to search on now, that's why its broken up. Like we were discussing the other day you can now search something like Bing Maps directly in that search bar, along with any app that exposes it's search functionality.

One may not like it but Search in Windows 8 but searches on more stuff. Individual apps can be disabled so as not to expose their search capability in the Search Charm.

Not sure what you're doing but this works just like it does in Windows 7. Works in both the Release Preview and RTM.

So I installed win8 on my nice new SSD, been waiting for that. I dont get what all the nerd rage is about TBH. Yes there are thigns that are different, but overall its just relearning a few steps for a few certain simple functions, but other than that, it seems just like win7 functionally to me. I dont see our Corp moving to it anytime soon, but it seems more than fine for my home workstation. Everything is working just fine that i can ask for. iscsi mounts, UNC paths, etc, etc. Whats the problem?

As for being taken away and still be working, you were already taken away from what you were doing by launching another program weren't you? In any case you'd still have to go back to the place where you where working. Windows+D takes you instantly back to the desktop.

Not really. I was referring to an audio file that contained a voice mail from my work phone that I'm not in the office to answer. Prviously when this happened I can simply click to open the attachment and go about what I was doing.

Now I just opened the attachment and get put into metro again, for which I have to invoke the start menu and choose desktop just to get back to what I was doing.

For ME its sort of moot, as WMP isn't my default player anyway. So when I install my real player this wont happen. But for some people, probably a lot of people, they do not download a 3rd party player and this will happen. Perhaps those people are better suited for Metro as I said.

I think we've hit the bottom line here, that we finally agree there should be an option to turn this stuff off. Because this interface as a whole is 10 steps backwards for a desktop.

*edit*

So I just went and played with the search maps function. And heres where it breaks down. Windows Key then typed "Denver". Then clicked maps. It took me to Denver. Cool!

but then I wanted to search for something else. Here is where the search functionality should be IN THE APP itself. I cant search, I have to start completely over in the process. Back out to the start menu, type something, click maps. Had the search functionality been in the app it self I wouldn't hav eto do that. Perhaps quirks like this are only apart of the app itself rather than the interface.

Last edited:
But there's MUCH more to search on now, that's why its broken up. Like we were discussing the other day you can now search something like Bing Maps directly in that search bar, along with any app that exposes it's search functionality.

One may not like it but Search in Windows 8 but searches on more stuff. Individual apps can be disabled so as not to expose their search capability in the Search Charm.

When you start your typing search there is a line that clearly seperates your main OS functions, as I mentioned Files/Settings/Apps (names not within the app).

I'm fine with having to manually choose say... the Bing Maps app when I'm typing something.

But the default three I don't think should be broken up. I find it wasteful that when I search something my 1080p display defaults to searching Apps with 0 hits, but has several hits in settings that I have to go manually click on to see. The big three would be better suited to be on the screen at the same time.

Its a minor inconvenience. But the theme of all this is that its a step backwards along with all the other steps backwards.

Instead of relearning new steps to get through it quicker, you're using 7 & older methodology for GUI traversal. So really, it's all up to you in regards to how much Windows 8 really bothers you. You could just go back to using 7 & not get your blood pressure so high.

thanks to heatless, I have learned the new ways to do it. I am genuinely thankful for it.

But those steps are counter intuitive to how things were done in the past. We take steps forward with new things, not backwards.

Virtually everything has more steps now to accomplish the same thing. And as I said, any ONE thing is not a deal breaker. But when you put it altogether, after using this interface for a few days you can quickly see that its a giant step backwards on the PC.

Also as I stated before, there are things I do like about Win8. Like Hyper-V right on my desktop. That's nice. And when I'm NOT in metro is seems the OS is quicker and snappier than Win7 so far. And that's impressive. My gripe is with this new interface....

thanks to heatless, I have learned the new ways to do it. I am genuinely thankful for it.

But those steps are counter intuitive to how things were done in the past. We take steps forward with new things, not backwards.

Virtually everything has more steps now to accomplish the same thing.

I'm not sure if everything that I used to do, in 7, now has more steps. I've noticed more issues with lack of functionality of the "Modern UI" apps & the start screen. I've found that I take a lot less steps with admin tools & games through the Start Screen though.

Win+W --> Search settings
Win+F --> Search files

I'm not sure if everything that I used to do, in 7, now has more steps. I've noticed more issues with lack of functionality of the "Modern UI" apps & the start screen. I've found that I take a lot less steps with admin tools & games through the Start Screen though.

Glad it works for you. I never had an issue with getting to things faster in Win7.

All the most commonly used programs, such as outlook, IE, Chrome, etc... were on the taskbar pinned, as they should be.

Other less commonly used apps, such as some games, MS Expression Encoder, fraps, etc..., that I still used a fair amount were in the start menu kept for me right in the main list without having to navigate through any submenus.

In Win8 I still have my pinned taskbar, and I've moved all of my secondary apps all the way over to the left side to simulate them still being there.

If an app wasn't in the start menu list then I used instant search. This works still for Apps, but not for Control Panel functions, as now theres an extra step to see "settings" See my other example.

I guess I just used Win7 in all its intuitive glory that its so easy to point all this out in Win8

Win+W --> Search settings
Win+F --> Search files

I can see how keyboard shortcuts will be my answer as I'm going to have to tape a cheat sheet to my monitor or leave a text file on my send monitor up all the time.

But for normal, not hardforum users, I know people who don't know CTRL+Z

I appreciate the kind words. I really am more into using Windows 8 than critiquing it so I'm just passing my experience along.

*edit*

So I just went and played with the search maps function. And heres where it breaks down. Windows Key then typed "Denver". Then clicked maps. It took me to Denver. Cool!

but then I wanted to search for something else. Here is where the search functionality should be IN THE APP itself. I cant search, I have to start completely over in the process. Back out to the start menu, type something, click maps. Had the search functionality been in the app it self I wouldn't hav eto do that. Perhaps quirks like this are only apart of the app itself rather than the interface.

I think this is something that trips a lot of people up. There is no search on the Start Screen, it's in the Search Charm, so never have go back to the Start Screen for search because it's not even there. You search for the Search Charm and you never have go back to anything. You just bring up the Search Charm and search will default to the foreground Metro app. Simply pick another app to search with it and go back and forth at will. It really is a nice search system.

Glad it works for you. I never had an issue with getting to things faster in Win7.

All the most commonly used programs, such as outlook, IE, Chrome, etc... were on the taskbar pinned, as they should be.

Other less commonly used apps, such as some games, MS Expression Encoder, fraps, etc..., that I still used a fair amount were in the start menu kept for me right in the main list without having to navigate through any submenus.

In Win8 I still have my pinned taskbar, and I've moved all of my secondary apps all the way over to the left side to simulate them still being there.

If an app wasn't in the start menu list then I used instant search. This works still for Apps, but not for Control Panel functions, as now theres an extra step to see "settings" See my other example.

I guess I just used Win7 in all its intuitive glory that its so easy to point all this out in Win8

I guess it depends on the app, but in Win 7, most of the apps I used were not in the main list on the top, in fact I rarely used those apps and the ones that were there that I used, I usually did not remember that so I just went to the folder and ran them. In Win 8, I just unpin everything I don't use from the start page, pin all my apps that I use there. Now it's just one click to start page, and another click to launch. You can still pin to the task bar, but I choose to unpin everything from the task bar. I never really liked the idea of mixing running and non-running programs, sometimes it would take me a second or two to figure what was running and what was not running, and I have at times mistakenly thought something was running when it wasn't and should have, and thought something was not running when it shouldn't have and was. Now I can look at the task bar and know instantly everything there is running and it seems more organized. I'm not saying Win 8 is the best UI possible, but it seem nicer than Win 7 to me if you take a second to think through your work flow and organize things efficiently given the abilities present.

I appreciate the kind words. I really am more into using Windows 8 than critiquing it so I'm just passing my experience along.

I think this is something that trips a lot of people up. There is no search on the Start Screen, it's in the Search Charm, so never have go back to the Start Screen for search because it's not even there. You search for the Search Charm and you never have go back to anything. You just bring up the Search Charm and search will default to the foreground Metro app. Simply pick another app to search with it and go back and forth at will. It really is a nice search system.

While in Bing Maps I can invoke the charm bar by moving my house to the top right corner and then choosing search. I can see maps is already highlighted as the default search function.

Interesting.

I just find it weird. I've always used mouse gestures so you didn't have to use the keyboard, and keyboard shortcuts so you didn't have to use the mouse. Now using both is throwing me through a huge loop.

-snip- I then realized that I hadn't installed any printer drivers on that tablet but when to go try to print it.

What do you know, my networked multi-function Brother laser printer, copier, fax, scanner, sitting there in Devices Charm ready to print, didn't have to do anything. That's pretty damned cool. Looks like this new to the RTM as the test versions never did this that I saw.-/snip-

This was in the RP as well. While Windows 7 a lot of times was able to install and use a printer without me having to download a driver manually, I do appreciate Windows 8 having done it while I wasn't looking.

Cant do that anymore. I have to open explorer or use the run command. LOL the run dialog box? You mean that dialog box the instant search box replaced in Windows7?

*edit*

nevermind.... after pressing enter 20 times I gave up and just exited the start menu as it wasn't doing anything. 30 seconds later I get a boatload of cannot access that share dialog boxes all at once. A fraction of the original gripe now. It shoulda done SOMETHING to let me know it was trying rather than just sitting there.

You know, I had never thought to try this until you posted this. Kind of annoying, but I don't think you really want Windows querying your network on each letter you enter of your UNC path. Still, needs to have some kind of message like "Press Enter to search."

And I take offense at your disdain of the run dialog. That little guy has been my friend for quite a number of years now. :p

Not really. I was referring to an audio file that contained a voice mail from my work phone that I'm not in the office to answer. Prviously when this happened I can simply click to open the attachment and go about what I was doing.

Now I just opened the attachment and get put into metro again, for which I have to invoke the start menu and choose desktop just to get back to what I was doing.

Try simply Alt + Tab next time. It still works. :)

While in Bing Maps I can invoke the charm bar by moving my house to the top right corner and then choosing search. I can see maps is already highlighted as the default search function.

Interesting.

I just find it weird. I've always used mouse gestures so you didn't have to use the keyboard, and keyboard shortcuts so you didn't have to use the mouse. Now using both is throwing me through a huge loop.

The neat thing about the Charm bar is it's a contextual bar of all the options that are common to multiple apps. Kind of like how the menu/settings button on an Android phone will almost always pop up settings for whatever app you're using. Can your App print? It's in the Charm bar under devices, just tell it what printer to use. Search in your app, as you realized is also there. There's also a settings charm, but it doesn't do as much as I expected in some apps.

This was in the RP as well. While Windows 7 a lot of times was able to install and use a printer without me having to download a driver manually, I do appreciate Windows 8 having done it while I wasn't looking.

It may have been that my particular printer didn't get support until RTM because I never saw the driver install automatically in the test versions.

yo heatless, write a quick-and-dirty guide with useful hints and shortcuts, basic stuff, post it as a thread, it might be helpful. ;)

yo heatless, write a quick-and-dirty guide with useful hints and shortcuts, basic stuff, post it as a thread, it might be helpful. ;)

Good idea, there are lots of lists out there and there's obviously more than normal people could ever remember but these are the ones I use most. The ones in red or the ones that I think address many of the things that people complain about and I think add the most value.

WINKEY+D : Show Desktop

WINKEY + E. Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and launch Windows Explorer with Computer view displayed.

WINKEY + F - Search Files using the new Windows Search pane.

WINKEY + Q - Search (within) Apps using the new Windows Search pane.

WINKEY + C - Display Charms and time/date/notification overlay. (Note that this shortcut displays the charms in the lower left of the screen and not on the right as would be the case using touch.)

Alt + F4 - Closes desktop and Metro apps

WINKEY + Z - Display the App Bar in a Metro-style app.

WINKEY + I - Display Settings pane for Windows Desktop (also provides access to Networks, Volume, Screen Brightness, Notifications, Power, and Language).

WINKEY + . Moves the "Metro" screen split to the right

WINKEY + Shift + . Moves the "Metro" screen split to the left

WINKEY + PgUp : Multi-monitor only: Moves "Metro" screen to the left one monitor

WINKEY + PgDn : Multi-monitor only: Moves "Metro" screen to the right one monitor

WINKEY + 1, WINKEY + 2, etc. - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and launch the nth shortcut in the Windows taskbar. So WINKEY + 1 would launch whichever application is first in the list, from left to right.

This last one I think is a great one to do as well and is one reason why pinning to the taskbar is cool. You can from anywhere always go back to the same app if the apps are pinned in a certain order. WINKEY+1 always takes me to desktop IE. I've used this a lot in Windows 7 as well.

Last edited:
WINKEY + 1, WINKEY + 2, etc. - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and launch the nth shortcut in the Windows taskbar. So WINKEY + 1 would launch whichever application is first in the list, from left to right.

Wow, I had no idea you could do that. Works in Win 7 also.

Back