Windows 8.1 update

That is just fucked up. A clean install is going to take forever for all us on Windows 8. Not acceptable, MS! Not acceptable! :mad:

Can someone download the 8.1 ISO from that link above and try a windows 8 key? :)

If it doesn't work, best to make a system image of your 8.1 once you have it all ready and installed...

Can someone download the 8.1 ISO from that link above and try a windows 8 key? :)

Maybe this trick will work: :confused:

The Windows 8.1 installer from the ISO does not accept Windows 8 keys. You need to install the system with a generic key (334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT for Core, XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB for Professional) and then enter your Windows 8 key after installing.

Note to moderators: these are not usable Windows keys. They are embedded in Windows itself as a placeholder default key and do not let you activate.

http://superuser.com/questions/661261/windows-8-1-fresh-install-with-windows-8-licence

Has anyone had any issues with the 3 updates released yesterday? I have Windows 8.1 Pro, which was upgraded from Windows 8 Pro. The new updates stopped Windows from booting properly, so I had to go back to a previously created system restore point.

Updated yesterday from the Windows store (Win8 Pro with Media Center).

So far, I think it feels noticeably faster. Everything just seems to launch instantaneously when I click on them now.

The Start Screen improvements are pretty good, but still nowhere near enough to convince me to get rid of Start8, the paradigm switch is still too jarring and annoying to me. I just keep thinking a "Windows Mode" and "Tablet Mode" switch would be so damn easy to do, but, oh well.

MS really went out of their way to point out that CORNERS DO STUFF!!! by using a pretty heavy handed approach, which is actually what they needed to do in the first place IMO.

Looks like they got rid of Libraries? I never used that feature much, but I was somewhat surprised to see it gone from the File Explorer and replaced by SkyDrive.

Overall, I like it so far.

No issues whatsoever for me. I've been on the RTM version for about 6 weeks and it patched with no issues at all yesterday. The new apps are fine, too.

The only quirk I've had is that even though MS restored the "Create Back-Up Image" functionality in the final of 8.1 - it doesn't actually work for me. It keeps telling me that my other drive (which has 1.2TB free) doesn't have enough space for a 300GB image. Macrium Reflect works fine and back in normal Windows 8 it worked fine. I'm curious if they either broke that function or if there are some new/weird caveats to it.

My install over Windows 8 went painlessly other than the fact that I had to re-install my sound card drivers. I do have the Windows test message in the lower right corner of my desktop.

Updated yesterday from the Windows store (Win8 Pro with Media Center).

So far, I think it feels noticeably faster. Everything just seems to launch instantaneously when I click on them now.

The Start Screen improvements are pretty good, but still nowhere near enough to convince me to get rid of Start8, the paradigm switch is still too jarring and annoying to me. I just keep thinking a "Windows Mode" and "Tablet Mode" switch would be so damn easy to do, but, oh well.

MS really went out of their way to point out that CORNERS DO STUFF!!! by using a pretty heavy handed approach, which is actually what they needed to do in the first place IMO.

Looks like they got rid of Libraries? I never used that feature much, but I was somewhat surprised to see it gone from the File Explorer and replaced by SkyDrive.

Overall, I like it so far.

Bringing back libraries: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-bring-libraries-back-in-windows-8-1-1446756473

Still no upgrade in my windows store, just a big facebook promo. I tried wsreset and the ms-windows-store link idea, no dice. Weird.

I think he meant the version number watermark...which does sound a bit puzzling, possibly depending on what specific version of Win8 he updated from. I guess I'll be trying the RTM-to-final route later, since I've got an old SandForce 120GB SSD to stick it on...

Screwed up my home domain the other day so I installed the Technet 8.1 on my home tower and that went fine and without issue. The little tutorials of how to use the screen are annoying but go away quickly enough.

Yesterday I updated my work laptop via the store upgrade and after I came back from lunch it was done, I was annoyed about not having RSAT tools but they released later in the day.

So far my only real hang up was trying to get vSphere 5.5 to work with 2012R2, but I'm not shocked that isn't working flawlessly yet. Templates and ADKs still need to be ironed out but otherwise I' fine with it.

What message? That doesn't sound right..

It says "Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center, SecureBoot isnt configured correctly. Build 9600"

I updated via the Store & originally had Win 8 Pro 64 bit with media center.

I am getting half the framerate in my most played game right now. And i installed the newest Nvidia driver. Its only beta so hopefully something more stable will come out soon.

It says "Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center, SecureBoot isnt configured correctly. Build 9600"

I updated via the Store & originally had Win 8 Pro 64 bit with media center.

I think earlier in this thread someone mentioned the secureboot message as well, perhaps checking your bios.

I think earlier in this thread someone mentioned the secureboot message as well, perhaps checking your bios.

Yes, that was me, it was in the bottom right corner, went into the bios and enabled secure boot and it went away.

Edit: there may be issues with this method; see post below mine.

Like (apparently) a lot of other people, I had the "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly" watermark on my desktop. Oddly though, SecureBoot was enabled in the EUFI bios (Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H mobo), though right underneath it it said "current status: disabled". After some googling I managed to fix it though - found another guy with a Gigabyte Z87 mobo who had solved it. His solution:

BushwalkerSP said:
I had the same problem after updating Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. I fixed this by doing the following (Note: This procedure applies to people who have Desktop PC running Gigabyte motherboard Z87 series):
1. Log into UEFI settings
2. Go into BIOS features and scroll down to the bottom of the screen
3. Change SecureBoot options to Custom (normally it's set to Standard)
4. Enter Key Management. Most likely you haven't got any Key Installed. Select to generate default keys. Now you should see that the keys are installed.
5. Select Save and Exit.

The message should now disappear once logged in Windows.

Last edited:
Like (apparently) a lot of other people, I had the "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly" watermark on my desktop. Oddly though, SecureBoot was enabled in the EUFI bios (Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H mobo), though right underneath it it said "current status: disabled". After some googling I managed to fix it though - found another guy with a Gigabyte Z87 mobo who had solved it. His solution:

Be aware that I did that and it worked but I couldn't get back into the bios, even though I was going through the properly authorized way. I had to reflash my bios in order to get it working again.

I dont understand, there has to be a way to disable the SecureBoot check from windows.

Be aware that I did that and it worked but I couldn't get back into the bios, even though I was going through the properly authorized way. I had to reflash my bios in order to get it working again.

I dont understand, there has to be a way to disable the SecureBoot check from windows.

Huh, I actually had that problem too (unable to reach bios) but thought it was unrelated (I'm also troubleshooting some other issues with 8.1). Good to know at least.

Last edited:
Have most of my upgrade issues resolved now. Secureboot watermark took two different bios settings to get rid of (Secureboot Enabled and set boot back to UEFI)

Reinstalled most of the drivers that came with the laptop. This fixed SLI disabled, Bluetooth and Wireless, and the slower boot up times post 8.1 upgrade.

Last was the "missing .dll" message when booting into the desktop. it was logiLDA.dll It could be disabled through the Task Manager / Startup tab (look for logiLDA.dll) but I removed its registry entry under Logitech Download Assistant

I think this is the third or fourth time that I've decided not to upgrade based on all the problems I'm reading in this thread. Fuck this, I'm about to just buy the retail version and do a clean install.

I think this is the third or fourth time that I've decided not to upgrade based on all the problems I'm reading in this thread. Fuck this, I'm about to just buy the retail version and do a clean install.

Don't think that will help, I think a lot of Microsoft issues are from underbaked software, always been an issue, release it and then patch it.....

Took nearly 24 hours for the update to download. Installation was pretty quick and painless. Logged in with my Microsoft/Live/Skype/Messenger/Whatevertheyrecallingit ID and everything was still there in place.

And performance seems a little improved. So far, so good. Eager to try out BF4 on DX 11.2.

I got mine updated and now i want to know if there is a way to get the betta fish back for boot screen and the metro screen...

i ended up needing to roll back off the preview and fully update 8 to get the 8.1 official to show up...

Still can't get SLI to work on my Lenovo y500. The drivers on Lenovo's site work at first but then BSOD shortly afterwards. I haven't seen a BSOD since the first day I started using Windows 7. 8.1 has done it to my laptop about ten times, lol.

Last was the "missing .dll" message when booting into the desktop. it was logiLDA.dll It could be disabled through the Task Manager / Startup tab (look for logiLDA.dll) but I removed its registry entry under Logitech Download Assistant

Oh, I had that too, forgot about it. a uninstall of the logitech driver, and reinstall fixed it. Just plugged the receiver back in and new hardware wizard reinstalled it on its own.

Still can't get SLI to work on my Lenovo y500. The drivers on Lenovo's site work at first but then BSOD shortly afterwards. I haven't seen a BSOD since the first day I started using Windows 7. 8.1 has done it to my laptop about ten times, lol.

I have the y500 also, did you load the drivers I listed from lenovo a page or so ago, everything is fine on mine other than the drivers are a bit dated.

Yeah, that's the drivers I mentioned. I can install them, SLI shows up in the control panel and enables, and then within 30 seconds I get a BSOD. Current beta drivers don't show SLI in the control panel but it is stable so I suppose I'll stick with it until newer ones roll out.

Yeah, that's the drivers I mentioned. I can install them, SLI shows up in the control panel and enables, and then within 30 seconds I get a BSOD. Current beta drivers don't show SLI in the control panel but it is stable so I suppose I'll stick with it until newer ones roll out.

Lenovo's drivers are offfering this for 8.1 64bit - 9.18.13.764/9.18.13.1127 (released october 16, 2013)

I think the previous poster is saying not to use those but install nvidias older driver?

Those are nVidia's older driver. They were released on October 16th, but the actual version is something like 307.

Is there a way to save the 3gig download from the store. So if I ever reinstall I don't have to download that again?

Is there a way to save the 3gig download from the store. So if I ever reinstall I don't have to download that again?
There might be a KB article about it on MS's website...but I kind of doubt it.

Everything between the full screen interface and the traditional interface is becoming so fragmented. Windows is telling me to go to "PC Settings" to get updates rather than to Windows Update now. I feel like MS is trying to dumb things down but is inadvertently making them more confusing by splitting things across the two interfaces.

edit: I remember some temporary hidden folder being located in C:\ after I updated. It probably contained all of the update files.

Last edited:
It's pretty fun to read about all these troubles. So relaxing not to have to use windows.

Upgraded from 8 to 8.1 and kind of wish I hadn't. I've had essentially no trouble with Windows whatsoever for the past 4-5 years on 7 and 8. This upgrade has borked things, though. First, driver issues (USB wi-fi adapter). Then I was doing some heavy photo editing in PS, probably close to filling up the RAM, and got a BSOD. Now Firefox seems to be crashing and closing for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

I'll be honest: I haven't been following Windows at all, and simply upgraded by default when I saw it was available yesterday. I figured this was nothing more than an SP1 type update that rolled bunch of patches (that I probably already had) into one package. Now I'm wondering if my troubles are because I didn't do a clean install, since clearly there are some substantial changes under the hood.

I get the SecureBoot watermark too. Must be some way to turn it off? I know I have it disabled, it's by design. I want to be able to boot linux without the added hoops. WTF?

Yes, SecureBoot is CONFIGURED PROPERLY. IT'S OFF, LIKE *I CONFIGURED IT*

Wonder if this breaks anything or if it's just a warning. If they're enforcing this they're crazy.

"Q: Does Secure Boot prevent me from dual-booting or running other operating systems on my PC?

A: No. UEFI's Secure Boot feature prevents the computer from starting unsigned and unauthorized operating systems. This can prevent certain types of malware (e.g., Boot Kits) from starting on your computer. If you want to single- or dual-boot a Windows 8 certified PC with an operating system that does not support Secure Boot (e.g., Windows 7 or Linux), you can disable Secure Boot."

.. but get to suffer the watermark?

Good work MS. Good work. I doesn't prevent me, as long as it's signed by YOU, you assholes. This is the sort of thing everyone was worried about when MS got their finger in this whole UEFI Secure Boot cookie-jar.

Last edited:
Upgraded from 8 to 8.1 and kind of wish I hadn't. I've had essentially no trouble with Windows whatsoever for the past 4-5 years on 7 and 8. This upgrade has borked things, though. First, driver issues (USB wi-fi adapter). Then I was doing some heavy photo editing in PS, probably close to filling up the RAM, and got a BSOD. Now Firefox seems to be crashing and closing for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

I'll be honest: I haven't been following Windows at all, and simply upgraded by default when I saw it was available yesterday. I figured this was nothing more than an SP1 type update that rolled bunch of patches (that I probably already had) into one package. Now I'm wondering if my troubles are because I didn't do a clean install, since clearly there are some substantial changes under the hood.
Depends...a lot of mixed experiences around here. I think most of the issues stem from OEM's and SW companies not adequately preparing for the new update because they thought the same as you - a bunch of patches rolled up into one package with some GUI changes. It's now clear that there was much more to it than that.

If that's true that's ridiculous... Now it's time for hacks to remove this message?

I saw something about a patch that was supposed to remove it but either that was bullshit or it's no out yet. (EDIT: Just checked, I have the version where it's supposed to be fixed. It's not). You can remove it using a resource editor, but that involves actually changing system files, not the greatest solution.

Disabling "UAC" 'works'. Set EnableLUA to 0. The path is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.

"EnableLUA specifies whether Windows® User Account Controls (UAC) notifies the user when programs try to make changes to the computer. UAC was formerly known as Limited User Account (LUA)."

This seems like a bad idea. Yet it's what users will do if Microsoft doesn't address this. Worse security as a result! <sigh>

Last edited:
Hmmm I am glad I had none of these issues. It took me about 45 minutes to download and upgrade.

Back