Windows 7 Beta Goes Public

If anyone has Newsgroup access, the distros are up on the a.b.x group. Downloading now at 2.5MB/s :D

well still going ok but if they are out of keys then this is all for not. I will have to try again but was never able to get a key

i dont think anyone got a key. it wouldnt make any sense for the windows team to make that post if they already ran out of keys.

Getting an OK (but crappy by my standards) 658K/sec; must be everyone in here downloading! I should be getting the lovely >1MB alot of you are getting.

D/L at 1.2-1.4MB/sec right now on my 20Mb connection from the second set of links posted.

A few people got keys but I think the server got hosed not long after that.

Any idea when the keys are going to be available? I have the "click here to DL your key" e-mail, but I only get that "Error .. try tomorrow" message.

1.20gb of 2.43 gb on the 32 bit downloaded (on vista ie8) and 570mb of 3.2gb (on kubuntu ff3) so far.

still no key >.<

Does anybody when they read the windowsteamblog.com URL see window steam blog? Anybody? :eek: /cries in a corner

Installing x86 now.

i dont think anyone got a key. it wouldnt make any sense for the windows team to make that post if they already ran out of keys.

I wouldn't doubt that the type of person that wins the lottery multiple times got through and got their key.

But as for the other 2.4999 million keys, I'll be they're up for grabs.

For some reason the x86 on second set of links just stopped at 1gb... x64 is still going strong 1.4mbs 60% praying it completes...

For some reason the x86 on second set of links just stopped at 1gb... x64 is still going strong 1.4mbs 60% praying it completes...

probably just an isp traffic issue. could you imagine if world of warcraft had a patch today as well? probably would have downed most of the internet altogether.

I figure I'm just going to have to get it from a torrent at some point. I'm at 850mb.

Mine just dropped and is now fluctuating between 800KB and 1.1Mb, with one drop down to 650K

I'm a bit concerned about the keys, but I'll get at least 30 days to "try" it at any rate. I liked the Vista beta with about a year of "beta". I'm crossing my fingers on the keys, hope to get one soon.

haha if only they released a W7, wow update, xbl update, and psn? no one uses that anyway... Al Gore's house would explode (origin of the internet) HA!

BTW Just a heads up - there is an update in the download centre that stops Windows 7 corrupting your revered music library of MP3s. Wouldn't want that to happen now, would we? :D

yeah. shouldn't have said anything until it was done. by putting the links on the front page, it slowed the people who actually read these forums... damn. i'm down to 200k/sec, but fluctuates a lot. sigh

still no beta key either. hopefully getting the email when signing up guarantees you a key... if not M$ will have wasted a ton of bandwidth

Seem windows 7 is down

this is what I get at the technet page

Windows 7 Beta Customer Preview
Windows® 7 Beta coming soon!

hopefully more people will come post the same thing over and over again :p

You know, I have never seen a install screen in 1680x1050 before today. Absolutely brilliant Windows 7, brilliant. :D

Expires in August? nice. If they would release a "new" OS every 6 months and let us keep upgrading to the next beta that would be great. lol

No more downloads today, they posted this..
http://windowsteamblog.com/

Due to very heavy traffic we’re seeing as a result of interest in the Windows 7 Beta, we are adding some additional infrastructure support to the Microsoft.com properties before we post the public beta. We want to ensure customers have the best possible experience when downloading the beta, and I’ll be posting here again soon once the beta goes live. Stay tuned! We are excited that you are excited!

36 seconds till my d/l of the 64bit version is done and my 1.4MB gets returned to the bandwidth pool.

Ahh make it done now.

Does anyone have a MD5/CRC type checksum so that I can check the integrity of the file?

I got a key for the x86 version. I just kept refreshing the https://www.microsoft.com/betaexperience/blah blah page it sends you to after email verification and after a couple of hours of seeing the "please check back in the next business day" message it finally loaded a page and gave me a key, a download link, some notes and a link to install instructions. That was 30 mins ago. I was still trying for 64bit but now it seems the link is going directly to the live search page and not even trying to load anything.

just curious.

it doesnt say they wont be posting it today. just that it would be soon. am i missing something on the page?

When have you seen MS do something right away? I am sure this will be posted another day, since it is almost 2pm PST on Friday. But who knows? :cool:

my download is still chugging along at its max speed(~75KBps) 11hours left :eek:

I got a key for the x86 version. I just kept refreshing the https://www.microsoft.com/betaexperience/blah blah page it sends you to after email verification and after a couple of hours of seeing the "please check back in the next business day" message it finally loaded a page and gave me a key, a download link, some notes and a link to install instructions. That was 30 mins ago. I was still trying for 64bit but now it seems the link is going directly to the live search page and not even trying to load anything.

freon, can I have the x86 key? :D

Back