Windows 10: Your thoughts so far?

You sure that's not a display driver issue?

That's what I was thinking. I have 10 on about 10 machines and I'm not seeing any of this. Yeah, some bugs here and there but nothing show stopping. Haven't had any problems with games.

That's what I was thinking. I have 10 on about 10 machines and I'm not seeing any of this. Yeah, some bugs here and there but nothing show stopping. Haven't had any problems with games.

got any that play video/sound over an hdmi cable to a tv? watch netflix for a bit then pause it for a minute then press play again, does your sound start the same time as your video?

I don't understand why this is happening but maybe someone can help??

So I did a fresh install of win 7, I get the x64 media creation tool and start the process under the 'upgrade this pc now' tab.

It gets through the download and gets to the media creation section and then it literally locks up and shuts down my laptop. Ive never seen this happen before. I cant figure it out, its done it twice and ive already tried this process running as administrator.

Only thing left for me to try is to put it on a thumbstick and start it that way.

Any suggestions guys??

Thank you!

got any that play video/sound over an hdmi cable to a tv? watch netflix for a bit then pause it for a minute then press play again, does your sound start the same time as your video?

Yeah, watched a lot of Netflix this past weekend using my Surface 3 connected to my TV over HDMI and sound passed through, buttery smooth even for an Atom tablet. No issues with pausing either.

I have seen issues with Netflix with insider builds, not this particular one but crashing and freezing at times. No problems in any device since 10240 though.

I don't understand why this is happening but maybe someone can help??

So I did a fresh install of win 7, I get the x64 media creation tool and start the process under the 'upgrade this pc now' tab.

It gets through the download and gets to the media creation section and then it literally locks up and shuts down my laptop. Ive never seen this happen before. I cant figure it out, its done it twice and ive already tried this process running as administrator.

Only thing left for me to try is to put it on a thumbstick and start it that way.

Any suggestions guys??

Thank you!

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Same result, choose to put it on a thumb drive, crashed through the install. I give up.

Try creating the USB media on another computer then use it to upgrade the laptop. You probably also want to back up the previous Windows key first though with something like Enchanted Keyfinder.

Try creating the USB media on another computer then use it to upgrade the laptop. You probably also want to back up the previous Windows key first though with something like Enchanted Keyfinder.

Actually sounds like another solid option, didn't think of that. Appreciate it. Will try that out tomorrow. Enough failure for tonight :mad:

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Same result, choose to put it on a thumb drive, crashed through the install. I give up.

I had the same issue with a lenovo laptop. I tried to upgrade it from w7 to w10 and it would crash after the first reboot every time. I tried all kinds of different crap to get it updated and nothing worked. I even formatted the drive and tried to do a fresh install and it just wouldn't work.
I used the same thumb drive to update 2 other machines with no issues. I gave up on it for now. I'm wondering if there is a bios update out there that may let it install.

I have been avoiding my update. I'm sticking with windows 7 for now. Sounds like they released an unfinished product.

I had the same issue with a lenovo laptop. I tried to upgrade it from w7 to w10 and it would crash after the first reboot every time. I tried all kinds of different crap to get it updated and nothing worked. I even formatted the drive and tried to do a fresh install and it just wouldn't work.
I used the same thumb drive to update 2 other machines with no issues. I gave up on it for now. I'm wondering if there is a bios update out there that may let it install.

Glad to know I'm not nuts and this has happened to other people. WTF is this crap :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Had no problems upgrading my Thinkpad from 7 to 10 then doing a clean install.

Make sure to update your BIOS and set your storage controller in BIOS to AHCI instead of IDE-compatible mode.

Exactly.. Its likely that AHCI needs to be changed. was the case on my desktop.

I've done a dozen or so upgrades now from win7 and 8 setups .. only had 2 hiccups. After doing a clean install, even though Win10 said it was activated after the upgrade ... after the clean install windows 10 wouldn't activate. I read there was a problem with Microsoft's servers at the time .. I just started the whole process over and reinstalled Win7/8 and upgraded to 10 .. made sure was activated again and then Win10 activated after the clean install the 2nd time around....

I've done a dozen or so upgrades now from win7 and 8 setups .. only had 2 hiccups. After doing a clean install, even though Win10 said it was activated after the upgrade ... after the clean install windows 10 wouldn't activate. I read there was a problem with Microsoft's servers at the time .. I just started the whole process over and reinstalled Win7/8 and upgraded to 10 .. made sure was activated again and then Win10 activated after the clean install the 2nd time around....

After upgrading to 10 you can use a utility like Enchanted Keyfinder to extract the 10 key so you can manually enter instead of relying on MS servers when doing clean 10 install.

After upgrading to 10 you can use a utility like Enchanted Keyfinder to extract the 10 key so you can manually enter instead of relying on MS servers when doing clean 10 install.

I was under the impression that it was a hardware "hash" and that any keys you pull out of windows 10 wouldn't be useable for reinstallation .. well, at least you wouldn't be able to take that key and do a clean install on totally different hardware anyways.

Well, my Mommy always said if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything. And I'm not going to say anything about Windows 10 because it sucks worse than 8.1. I mean, it could at least run for more than 5 minutes without locking up. What a total pos.

Well, my Mommy always said if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything. And I'm not going to say anything about Windows 10 because it sucks worse than 8.1. I mean, it could at least run for more than 5 minutes without locking up. What a total pos.

Overclocking? No issues in the dozen or so installs I've done. Laptops and desktops. Older and newer setups. My wife isn't real keen on Win10 ..she says the UI must have been designed by a 4 year old .... but it keeps running without a hitch.

I'm curious as to what hardware people are running that say Windows 10 isn't stable.. peripherals .. overclocking .. etc .. if anything, my wifes setup should have problems.
Intel S1200BTS Server Motherboard (LGA 1155)
i3-2120
4 x 2GB ECC UDIMMS
SBLive! w/KXproject drivers
320GB 2.5 SATA
40GB SSD (cache drive)
1TB SATA
older ATI PCIe 512mb card with DMS-59 connector
Dual 19" widescreen monitors
Corsair 430wtt PSU
Pantech black/white laser printer
Epson all-in-one
... I don't know, Windows 10 has ran good on everything I've installed it on thus far ..

Almost the only annoyance I've had with Win10 so far is that it couldn't fix a simple boot drive issue. The drive that the MBR sat on died, Win10 couldn't recover from that (using the boot fix option) and forced a total reinstall. I didn't try to fix it through CLI because it was a gaming box and steam makes reinstalling stuff a breeze.

I was under the impression that it was a hardware "hash" and that any keys you pull out of windows 10 wouldn't be useable for reinstallation .. well, at least you wouldn't be able to take that key and do a clean install on totally different hardware anyways.

That's exactly what it is. You cannot clean install. You must upgrade first
After that you can clean install to lean up your system.

However there is a workaround
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1877354

I just noticed something very pleasing today. I visit certain websites that have a habit of presenting ads once in a while that are of the "Your system needs a tune up" or "Your security software is out of date" variety, and when you attempt to close the window, you end up in a nasty modal dialog loop that's impossible to exit out of without killing the entire Edge process for that window. It's very annoying when it happens. To the site's credit, they do it once in a while, whatever, nothing nefarious (well, I haven't tried clicking the links within...), just annoying dialogs that I know to ignore.

So, I ran straight for the Insider feedback program and submitted my issue with this behavior. This was about a month ago. Looks like others have lodged very similar complaints. Anyway, today I visited the website and I was hit with that annoying warning message, but this time, there was a checkbox that I could select to "Prevent this page from showing dialogs in the future" or something to that effect. I should have taken a screen cap. I'll do it next time if it pops up. Sure enough, after checking the box and clicking close, the tab closed and I resumed my browsing undisturbed. Way to go Microsoft!

I just noticed something very pleasing today. I visit certain websites that have a habit of presenting ads once in a while that are of the "Your system needs a tune up" or "Your security software is out of date" variety, and when you attempt to close the window, you end up in a nasty modal dialog loop that's impossible to exit out of without killing the entire Edge process for that window. It's very annoying when it happens. To the site's credit, they do it once in a while, whatever, nothing nefarious (well, I haven't tried clicking the links within...), just annoying dialogs that I know to ignore.

So, I ran straight for the Insider feedback program and submitted my issue with this behavior. This was about a month ago. Looks like others have lodged very similar complaints. Anyway, today I visited the website and I was hit with that annoying warning message, but this time, there was a checkbox that I could select to "Prevent this page from showing dialogs in the future" or something to that effect. I should have taken a screen cap. I'll do it next time if it pops up. Sure enough, after checking the box and clicking close, the tab closed and I resumed my browsing undisturbed. Way to go Microsoft!

Isn't this annoying as hell? Is this with using Edge? I came across a page like this the other day but didn't see the checkbox you mention. I'll try to find something to test this out with. Thanks for the info!

Isn't this annoying as hell? Is this with using Edge? I came across a page like this the other day but didn't see the checkbox you mention. I'll try to find something to test this out with. Thanks for the info!
Damn, how did I forget to mention it was Edge? But, yeah it was Edge. It's a torrent tracker of the kick ass variety. Hope that helps! lol

You can bypass it by holding down the shift (IIRC) key while clicking on the icon. That way it doesn't open the last set of tabs.

You can bypass it by holding down the shift (IIRC) key while clicking on the icon. That way it doesn't open the last set of tabs.
Right, but this addresses the issue while you are in a session so you dont have to end the task. You can just close the offending tab. But good tip!

Damn, how did I forget to mention it was Edge? But, yeah it was Edge. It's a torrent tracker of the kick ass variety. Hope that helps! lol

Only noobs surf the web with:

1) Windows
2) With the default browser that's built in windows (double mistake)
3) Any browser that's not equiped with adblock and script block.

Such situations that you described never happen to me. I wonder why.

1) Windows

I'm pretty sure Kyle's main machine is a Windows box. You calling him a n00b?

BTW, hope you have adblock exempting the [H].

I've been using the preview since the start and can not figure out how to turn off the auto upgrade and auto maintenance or how to stop from having to sign-in every time I start or restart, plus, my computer turns on by itself to do auto-stuff.

How can I stop all this?

(never mind, I figured it out. uninstall and put 7 back, glad it was my back up comp)

Last edited:

1) Windows

Wtf?

I'm pretty sure Kyle's main machine is a Windows box. You calling him a n00b?

BTW, hope you have adblock exempting the [H].

If he surfs using windows, yes that's pretty noobish :D

I have adblock exempting the [H] but I block flash for security reasons.

So 90% of people who surf the Internet using desktops and laptops and 5% or so of tablets are noobs then. If you can't surf the web safely using Windows, you might need stay away from computers period.

Well, Flash is understandable. Flash is Intarwebnetz cancer.

So 90% of people who surf the Internet using desktops and laptops and 5% or so of tablets are noobs then. If you can't surf the web safely using Windows, you might need stay away from computers period.

Yes as we all know the absolute majority of computer users are total illiterates that have no idea what they're doing.

Nobody can surf the web safely using windows, in any conditions. Antiviruses etc. are a joke, 100% of computers I've found infected have all been running an up to date antivirus lol.

Using windows online is like waving an American passport and your christian cross in the Isis headquarters. You will get attacked and attacked hard.

Back