Windows 10 October Update is Losing User Data

I've done this update on my 2 home built rigs, 3 ancient(sata 2 era)hp desktops, and 1 ancient(sata 2) toshiba laptop. It hasn't happened on any of them. I've got around 2 dozen more machines to go. I'll let you know if I see anything.

I don't doubt those who've had it happen but there's not enough info to really identify a consistency. BTW not a MS fanboy, I hate these regularly scheduled updates too. I've been complaining about them since creator.

No offense meant, but your sample size for your study is 1 person. Hardly science. Sometimes things can go wrong, even from something simple like a PC not being rebooted for a while, things can, and do go wrong.
same goes for this "problem" one person does not mean its an issue.

I've been in the fast ring. There's a new option for storage that can and will deleted old files. It's an option you have to turn off with a recent update.
This is complete lunacy, defaulting to deleting files! I am so mad I could chew nails! MS has completely lost it, they are so far gone I don't see them ever waking from their stupidity slumber.

No offense meant, but your sample size for your study is 1 person. Hardly science. Sometimes things can go wrong, even from something simple like a PC not being rebooted for a while, things can, and do go wrong.

Exactly. And my insider test system was bricked more times than it wasn't when I was playing eat the M$ dogshitfood game.

Not sure who is more contemptible, Google for making it cool be an unpaid beta tester or M$ for validating the Google madness. Quality Control isn't job #1 anymore.

same goes for this "problem" one person does not mean its an issue.
I'm sure MS will fix it real quick, I mean if it were you having the problem and did nothing to cause the problem and MS deleted all your data, you wouldn't mind right? Right?? /s

This is complete lunacy, defaulting to deleting files! I am so mad I could chew nails! MS has completely lost it, they are so far gone I don't see them ever waking from their stupidity slumber.
it automatically deletes temps files, recycle bin and the downloads folder, not user files. unless you keep important things in downloads.

Exactly. And my insider test system was bricked more times than it wasn't when I was playing eat the M$ dogshitfood game.

Not sure who is more contemptible, Google for making it cool be an unpaid beta tester or M$ for validating the Google madness. Quality Control isn't job #1 anymore.
I had the exact same problem, and am no longer a tester because of it. I called MS and told them all about it, and told them if it keeps up, those PCs would be going Linux. The tech was actually apologetic, except I don't think anything will be done, in fact it seems to be getting worse.

I'm sure MS will fix it real quick, I mean if it were you having the problem and did nothing to cause the problem and MS deleted all your data, you wouldn't mind right? Right?? /s
only ever lost data to a failed drive. ms have never deleted anything ive had.

it automatically deletes temps files, recycle bin and the downloads folder, not user files. unless you keep important things in downloads.
That's good to know that the MS overloards get to have files deleted from a folder for files that I downloaded, because it would make sense to delete things I spent time finding and downloading. Then again, they always know what is best right? Just ask them.

I actually download to another directory, but I would bet they will piss off loads of people with this genius decision.

OR
Hey, you're running a shitty operating system. Anything you have in here is subject to loss.
that goes for any os. data is your responsibility. always has been.

That's good to know that the MS overloards get to have files deleted from a folder for files that I downloaded, because it would make sense to delete things I spent time finding and downloading. Then again, they always know what is best right? Just ask them.

I actually download to another directory, but I would bet they will piss off loads of people with this genius decision.
if its important save it somewhere safe. see above.

that goes for any os. data is your responsibility. always has been.

if its important save it somewhere safe. see above.
I do, see where I said "I actually download to another directory, but I would bet they will piss off loads of people with this genius decision."

no but I wouldn't assume it was ms' fault without proof.
I sure have seen many reports of problems all over the internet and on the MS support forums, so I do have data to backup what I am saying, I try not to assume.

I sure have seen many reports of problems all over the internet and on the MS support forums, so I do have data to backup what I am saying, I try not to assume.
and ive seen those too. its still not confirmed to be an ms problem. none have even said if hdd space used went down. they cant even seem to look in my computer and see if there is 200gb of new free space...

oh and im seeing a bunch post like this too:
"They're not deleted. The links are pointing to the OneDrive (new) folders for Documents, Pictures, etc. You can navigate to the folder under Users and see the original Documents, Pictures, etc folders with all the data. (Happened to me, panicked, worked through it.)"

and ive seen those too. its still not confirmed to be an ms problem. none have even said if hdd space used went down. they cant even seem to look in my computer and see if there is 200gb of new free space...
Understood. It is a complex problem. Seems MS wants security at any cost, users be damned. It is not something I agree with. There are still security problems, even if there are fewer, I am not sure the lost time, data, etc. is worth it, and I've expressed this to MS. It's their call, they seem to be getting more and more control freak and less about customer service.

Understood. It is a complex problem. Seems MS wants security at any cost, users be damned. It is not something I agree with. There are still security problems, even if there are fewer, I am not sure the lost time, data, etc. is worth it, and I've expressed this to MS. It's their call, they seem to be getting more and more control freak and less about customer service.
its not complex to look and see if the space used went down and this isn't about other security problems.

its not complex to look and see if the space used went down and this isn't about other security problems.
Are you really going to argue that MS shoving completely new code for an OS twice a year isn't about keeping the system updated against security flaws? Please, enlighten us. It seems you just like to argue.

Guys, if you don't do this already, please, install Macrium Reflect Free and schedule it to take a full image of your main OS SSD at least once per week. This has really saved my *** before.

Are you three years old?
we are talking about "ms losing data." try and keep up instead of getting insulting.
Are you really going to argue that MS shoving completely new code for an OS twice a year isn't about keeping the system updated against security flaws? Please, enlighten us. It seems you just like to argue.
seem like you want to change topics. but yes updates are about security.

By the way, I can't wait until MS has to defend this in court after they delete someone's important data from the Downloads folder. That will work out as well as when they lost to the lady whose laptop they completely destroyed with an update.

we are talking about "ms losing data." try and keep up instead of getting insulting.

seem like you want to change topics. but yes updates are about security.
Whatever, you act like a three year old, argumentative and just liking to take devil's advocate side. We will see what a Judge says when people lose important data, not Pendragon1 from H. LOL

That will work out as well as when they lost to the lady whose laptop they completely destroyed with an update.
again trying to change the subject. she didn't loose data nor was the laptop wasn't destroyed, she lost time(work), which is why she won.

MS knows what is important or not, just let them do what they need to.
I guess we wait to see if it's only a few hundred more or less.

Whatever, you act like a three year old, argumentative and just liking to take devil's advocate side. We will see what a Judge says when people lose important data, not Pendragon1 from H. LOL
Wait until the next lawsuit, can you keep up Penny? LOL
you cant win an argument so resort to insults. and then actually get childish...

No, it's fact that you act like a three year old, I couldn't care less about your opinion. I'll wait for public opinion and Judge's decisions, not yours.
no you dont have any valid points. yours is obviously not worth anything and good for you.

90% chance this is the same old user rename issue where their files are still on their computer and it created a new user account for them on the same machine...

It's simple to fix, find the old user, right click on the old user folder, take ownership of the files, copy them to the new directories. Send a bug report to Microsoft. The prompt actually didn't lie either, the files are likely where they left them, however they're now a different user so they can't see them in the standard "My Documents" location.

no you dont have any valid points. yours is obviously not worth anything and good for you.

That is ok dude, you are not going to win the argument, just take this topic as a possibility and keep looking into things as you should. :) I agree, I wonder if they had 200GB of free space that was not there before? If not, then where did the data files get put?

90% chance this is the same old user rename issue where their files are still on their computer and it created a new user account for them on the same machine...

It's simple to fix, find the old user, right click on the old user folder, take ownership of the files, copy them to the new directories. Send a bug report to Microsoft. The prompt actually didn't lie either, the files are likely where they left them, however they're now a different user so they can't see them in the standard "My Documents" location.
yup could be that, if posts about the new onedrive folder are accurate.

Back