Windows 10 Buggy Updates? Our Patching Is Simple, Regular, Consistent Says Microsoft

Loading drivers, software, etc is normal with any OS. Having to use 3rd party software and lots of tweaks to make the OS try and behave the way you want is not.
That is why I loved Vista 64 and 7.
Remember when SSDs came in and how you had to tweak Windows not to defrag them?
Did you own a Creative soundcard which would not work, even cause BSODs, under Vista 64 and Win7? I do, still in my desk. It was a hell of a ride.
Remember when TLS came in and you had to edit the registry to make it work properly with NTLM?

I can't remember if I had to edit anything in the registry for Win10 at home. On my work PC a few things came up, because IT forgets that they forced some setting for IE7 a long time ago for example.

I think that this depends entirely on what your usage scenario is. Tweaking Windows, thank whoever, is always a possibility, but the quantity always depended on the user. In fact, I think this has been true since DOS came about.
I remember having three boot options for normal, extended memory and extended memory with FakeCD :p.

If I had to decide between 'letting people do what they want' or 'make them update', I would have made the same choice.
See, it's a false choice, heartlesssun often frames it this way as well. Here's the compromise:

1. ONLY push security updates. Make all other updating optional.
2. Make automatic updating the default option and not simple to turn off for Joe Average (need a registry key or something similar). Also try to make it as unintrusive as possible so users aren't motivated to turn it off. Having it trigger when the computer shuts down is a good time for example.
3. Give advanced users who are willing to assume the risks a way to disable it.

If that's how W10 updates worked, I wouldn't be having this conversation. Instead, they've forced us into an all-or-nothing scenario and pushed shit updates on people before. It's a terrible scenario. The more casually you use your computer, the less of an issue it probably is. The more you depend on it, bigger a pain it becomes.

mufcan said:
Also, if an update interferes with your software, do you know how much is it MS' fault or that software's programmers'?
That's irrelevant if it's worked for 8 years on multiple versions of windows and I use it daily, then one update suddenly breaks it. I don't care whose fault it is, all I care is being able to use the software I need.

mufcan said:
They make the rules and we vote with our wallets.
Vote with your wallet = you have absolutely no power and nothing will ever change, I know, you don't have to rub it in. Again, if I want to run the full range of software I need, I have no choice here. My only choice is just to disable updates altogether once I get it to a stable state since they're making that the lesser of two evils.

mufcan said:
You are right about "whataboutism", but you please understand my argument well: I'm not saying it is better/acceptable if MS does it, but I just don't understand why you accept blatant involuntary use of your personal data and be upset by the use of your impersonal data. Because, if you can't pick out your own from 5-6-700 million, it is impersonal.
What about my statement suggests I ACCEPT any of this? I don't have a smartphone, but you've got me, I DO go to the grocery. I need to in order to survive. Again, this is where "vote with your wallet" gets you.

And again, as I've stated, the telemetry isn't so much a problem for me personally, so much as I recognize the risk of a slippery slope going down this road. It's a really bad precedent even if the reality right now isn't as malevolent. We accept this loss of control now, in 10 years maybe Equifax looks like the good old days.

If your argument is that 'because this is a desktop OS', then let me ask, if you have an nVidia card? If you do, then their software uploads way more data than Win10 does for telemetry, literally megabytes. We have a saying: if you want to buy a horse, you have to buy the horseshit too. This is no different.
I do have an Nvidia card. I have the NVIDIA Streamer Service, NVIDIA Streamer Network Service, NVIDIA GeForce Experience Service, NVIDIA Network Service, and Nvidia Backend disabled. If it's still sending megabytes of data on top of that, I find that unfortunate.

Your horse analogy would only be apt if there were decades where horseshit literally did not exist. I'm not certain about Windows 8, but in 7 (if you skip the right updates), XP, 2000, NT, and Win9x, you could prevent the OS from sending data you did not want it to. This is artificial horseshit that was bundled in. Again, telemetry isn't my main issue, it's the lack of control over system changes. That WAS an option for every Windows prior to 10.

A better analogy would be the difference between printers made prior to planned obsolescence where they intentionally fail after 100 sheets or so. If you had a digital printer that was made without those practices in mind, it could print tens of thousands of pages or even more, so long as you supplied it with ink. If you buy one after those practices, it dies intentionally after 100 pages and you have to buy a new cartridge. So if you want to buy a printer, you have to buy the bullshit too, except that you never used to in the past. It's not even bullshit that's necessary for the printer to function, it's the result of anti-competitive practices that would have been illegal in another age. This is the magic of voting with your wallet.

I have dived into windows 10 registry edits more times than windows 7 now in the past 6 months alone. The amount of "vulnerabiities" MS is not addressing and skipping in some of their patches is getting ridiculous. In a span of 1 year alone, so called patches of today which supersede patches all the way back to last July are failing to implement those fixes leaving gaping holes detection software is screaming critical alerts.

I have dived into windows 10 registry edits more times than windows 7 now in the past 6 months alone. The amount of "vulnerabiities" MS is not addressing and skipping in some of their patches is getting ridiculous. In a span of 1 year alone, so called patches of today which supersede patches all the way back to last July are failing to implement those fixes leaving gaping holes detection software is screaming critical alerts.
Feel free to give details.

With iOS there is no way of changing how it works, only how it looks basically.

Unless you jail brake iOS. And if you get your Android phone from a carrier the, vast majority of Android phones come with carrier loaded crap that you can only get rid of unless you also do the equivalent of a jail brake.

Android and iOS are not nearly as far apart as many Android fanbois would like to believe when it comes to customization.

See, it's a false choice, heartlesssun often frames it this way as well. Here's the compromise:

2. Make automatic updating the default option and not simple to turn off for Joe Average (need a registry key or something similar). Also try to make it as unintrusive as possible so users aren't motivated to turn it off. Having it trigger when the computer shuts down is a good time for example.

What Microsoft is doing with Windows 10 updating is textbook Agile, different development branches with different cadences and feature sets. I've said that the option for more stable branches should be more generally available, however for home users that could get confusing when a new feature gets introduced but you're on a more stable branch.

Android and iOS are not nearly as far apart as many Android fanbois would like to believe when it comes to customization.
Then let's throw in the OEM bullshit as well. TouchWiz? SenseUI? Oh sure, let's take what is essentially a great operating system and dump what is the equivalent of a steaming pile of dog shit on top of it.

People have been making these kinds of predictions about Microsoft for decades. 20 years ago Microsoft was far more controversial than today with its anti-trust problems heating up.

Its not a prediction, its what m$ is telling us. m$ is unpredictable, you don't know which way they will pivot next. Maybe the next update takes out gpedit, regedit, devmgmt or some other feature on its way to WaaS/DaaS and asure. It's quite the gamble, not sure it will work out. Here's a prediction for you, no matter what direction they go next, you'll be there cheer leading the way.

Mary Joe Foley

Not at all unless you're buying a single cheap piece of hardware once every few years. If I didn't game or like 2 in 1s or have a job where everyone was using Windows and moving to Windows 10 I'd just probably use a Chromebook or my phone. Personally the cost and whatever pain some perceive of Windows 10 is ant piss compared to the hardware and 3rd party software costs. The choice of OS has jack shit to do with those costs, they are fixed regardless of the OS. Choosing an OS that can't use the stuff, should have bought it in the first place if that's the case.

The freedom problems you mention aren't because of Windows, they are because of the lack of support from other parties currently. Maybe one day someone will step up and give you that super freedom desktop OS with no spyware or bloat and it'll run all your games and VR HMD perfectly.
You have to be the biggest MS Koolaid drinker I have ever seen on the Interent. All we want is all this spying crap ripped out of Windows so we can use the OS like XP or even Vista! You always say Windows is great and we are idiots. Some people never learn.

Please explain your loony tunes comment about "The freedom problems you mention aren't because of Windows, they are because of the lack of support from other parties currently." Last time I checked Windows is a closed platform, no matter what MS says they don't actually want a 3rd party OS running all the games and apps, that will kill their ecosystem. Please explain what you mean, or at least admit you are so MS biased that you will gladly pay a monthly service fee to your MS masters.

You got part of it then inflated the rest in your head. It doesn't take a whole lot o brains to see the direction m$ is heading. Remember those connect the dot games? Most of us already see the picture that is forming. I imagine as time goes by it will get harder and harder to justify m$ bullshit, good luck!
I've spoken and complained to MS about their direction, their go to answer is: We have to have all this forced updates due to security. They will not admit it's actually about gathering data about you, and they always throw the ace card: Security. They couldn't care less how many problems you have or if you disagree with the surveillance. Also their logic under CEO Nadella closely resembles brain washed satanic insanity.

Unless you jail brake iOS. And if you get your Android phone from a carrier the, vast majority of Android phones come with carrier loaded crap that you can only get rid of unless you also do the equivalent of a jail brake.

I didn't buy any of my Android phones from a carrier, because all of them are dual SIM which they didn't do before and they kind of bork them now. So, I only get the minimal Google bloatware (to me at least), most of which I can get rid of.

Also, I can put my own software onto my phone any time for free, without rooting. That is a hell of a difference from an iPhone.

I think half you guys don't know how to computer and blame Microsoft these days rather than admitting pebkac

Reactions: DocNo
like this

All this can be done by an advanced user.
You can disable the related network communication with your weapon of choice and you can use a PowerShell script or whatever to monitor and install the available updates. Or you can hand pick them yourself, since that's what you want, download and install them when you see fit.
They have a website, with a simple table, use it, if you must.

Still, the "shit updates" are encountered by the people who are willingly selecting the fast ring. Then why do they complain knowing the risks?
Select the slow ring, if you want to avert issues as much as possible. No one reported cases where there was an undocumented issue even with a 3 month old update.

There are solutions, tested by many, use them.
That's why I still don't understand your (plural) arguments. This OS is very far from perfect, but it can be customized in 10-15 minutes by an expert. You could write the same thing on the box of Windows 7 just the same.

Sure thing.

First step might be figuring out how all the computer illiterate people manage with Windows 10 just working fine.
Mine works fine, so does that mean I am a genius like you? I think more people will join!

Mine works fine, so does that mean I am a genius like you? I think more people will join!
Don't feed the troll.

The "my grandma runs 10 and she hasn't complained" anecdotes are pants-over-head out of touch with the major headaches that the uptick in Windows 10's botched updates is creating for a lot of users and admins.

Anyone not just here to be contrarian for the lulz, seruously go and read Susan Bradley's open letter to MS pleading that they actually test their updates before spamming them to general release.

You have to be the biggest MS Koolaid drinker I have ever seen on the Interent. All we want is all this spying crap ripped out of Windows so we can use the OS like XP or even Vista! You always say Windows is great and we are idiots. Some people never learn.

What? We're three years into Windows 10. The issues around telemetry and updates have been pretty much argued to exhaustion. I've never argued against having the "off" switch for telemetry or better control over updating. Where I have disagreements would be over things like Microsoft selling or sharing personally identifiable information, there's no evidence of things like that and it's difficult to see how that would benefit Microsoft considering their huge cloud business.

Please explain your loony tunes comment about "The freedom problems you mention aren't because of Windows, they are because of the lack of support from other parties currently." Last time I checked Windows is a closed platform, no matter what MS says they don't actually want a 3rd party OS running all the games and apps, that will kill their ecosystem. Please explain what you mean, or at least admit you are so MS biased that you will gladly pay a monthly service fee to your MS masters.

There are alternatives to desktop Windows. Macs, Linux and Chromebooks are the major options. None of them offer the 3rd party hardware and software support of Windows currently however. If one wants support for most all of the latest and greatest in desktop hardware and software and Windows legacy stuff there's only Windows 10.

I get the biggest laugh when called a Microsoft shill because I constantly point out that if one doesn't need or want this kind of support then go for Linux or a Chromebook or a Mac and stop using Windows. Because apparently some of you are getting ulcers over Windows 10. For me it works WAY better than XP and supports everything I need and want from a PC in spite of its problems. Why just basic and common sense stuff gets folks all freaked out is just funny to me.

Huh? You've been complaining though about just how not fine Windows 10 works for you in much of this thread.
It works AFTER I had to run 3rd party software, and take out all of the garbage I can. Then it works..ish. Good enough.
7 and Vista 64, I just updated, pop drivers in, and I was ready to rock.

1-2 hour update?
You need to switch to an SSD so the updates are install faster.

I won't install Windows 10 on a system in the office unless it has a SSD.

It has been very arbitrary in my experience the last 3-4 years with Win7,8, and 10. It once took Win8 on a cheap celeron laptop with ssd 3 hours to update from 8 to 8.1. Same machine later took 35 minutes for updates after being 6 months behind on them. Win10 machine with a late 2016 i5 and ssd took 2+ hours for the big fall creators update reinstall. The less said about the rage inducing win7 update "bugs" over the past few years the better. Namely 6+ hours pegging a cpu at 20-30% usage to check for updates and find none.

It works AFTER I had to run 3rd party software, and take out all of the garbage I can. Then it works..ish. Good enough.
7 and Vista 64, I just updated, pop drivers in, and I was ready to rock.

Fair enough. Personally Windows 10 is no different from prior versions because I use a lot of the stuff you call junk, indeed a lot of junk is critical for things like 2 in 1 devices. Like Store, apps for Netflix, Hulu, CBC etc. are in there and for a tablet, even on a desktop, they work better than web sites.

All this can be done by an advanced user.
You can disable the related network communication with your weapon of choice and you can use a PowerShell script or whatever to monitor and install the available updates. Or you can hand pick them yourself, since that's what you want, download and install them when you see fit.
They have a website, with a simple table, use it, if you must.
Okay one of us is misunderstanding something (it could be me, I'll be pleased if so). Are you saying on Windows 10 I can pick and choose which updates I receive, ala Windows 7:

windows-update-screen-4.png

If that's the case, then you're right, this is much ado about nothing. If I can install updates individually and skip ones that cause me problems, Windows 10 may not be an issue for me. My understand was that's NOT how it works, and it's either all-or-nothing with MANY obstacles put up to disabling it.

As for the average user choosing ONLY receiving security updates, how does stuff like this happen then?

https://www.howtogeek.com/342871/hey-microsoft-stop-installing-apps-on-my-pc-without-asking/

Candy Crush doesn't strike me as a security update.

Fair enough. Personally Windows 10 is no different from prior versions because I use a lot of the stuff you call junk, indeed a lot of junk is critical for things like 2 in 1 devices. Like Store, apps for Netflix, Hulu, CBC etc. are in there and for a tablet, even on a desktop, they work better than web sites.
Guess what? I don't use any of it. I also don't use any of it on my tablet because I have an Android. Even then, I don't use the tablet much anyways.
I don't want any of it. None. Zero.

Okay one of us is misunderstanding something (it could be me, I'll be pleased if so). Are you saying on Windows 10 I can pick and choose which updates I receive, ala Windows 7:

View attachment 94226

If that's the case, then you're right, this is much ado about nothing. If I can install updates individually and skip ones that cause me problems, Windows 10 may not be an issue for me. My understand was that's NOT how it works, and it's either all-or-nothing with MANY obstacles put up to disabling it.

As for the average user choosing ONLY receiving security updates, how does stuff like this happen then?

https://www.howtogeek.com/342871/hey-microsoft-stop-installing-apps-on-my-pc-without-asking/

That also only works so much since if you want any updates, people have complained on stuff coming back online when they already had it off. Hell, it could of been something that made your system go a bit crazy, but
here let me turn this back on for you.

Guess what? I don't use any of it. I also don't use any of it on my tablet because I have an Android. Even then, I don't use the tablet much anyways.
I don't want any of it. None. Zero.

The Store is just another source of software. Sure its not very good but there's plenty of useful stuff in there for average consumers. The Netflix app is simply better than the web site with support for 4k, local downloads and overlay support.

I get what you and others are saying about Windows 10 but yeah its not the 80s anymore. Simple and easy access to things like digital streaming, that just has to be there for any consumer facing OS platform.

View attachment 94226

It has always been one registry key which governs the way updating works.
Just google it, but here's a good source:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...updating/42c226b8-150f-4bef-b0e9-928f8e0ee0a4

I couldn't find a complaint or a warning saying that they set this and still got a forced upgrade, so I assume it works.
It's just one damn reg key.

If this is not good for some reason, then you can disable the whole update service and download the updates as you like from their website.
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com

It has always been one registry key which governs the way updating works.
Just google it, but here's a good source:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...updating/42c226b8-150f-4bef-b0e9-928f8e0ee0a4

I couldn't find a complaint or a warning saying that they set this and still got a forced upgrade, so I assume it works.
It's just one damn reg key.

If this is not good for some reason, then you can disable the whole update service and download the updates as you like from their website.
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com

If you disable Windows updates via the registry, give it time, Microsoft re enable it. If for some reason they cannot re enable it they send you a Windows Update installer that magically just appears on your desktop.

Here are a bunch of different ways to stop Windows Update in Windows 10: https://linustechtips.com/main/blog...ways-to-disable-windows-update-in-windows-10/

But there's no quick way to pick and choose which updates to install and which to not, and there appears to be no security-only updates available for Windows 10 through Microsoft Update Catalog.

A great many of those tips don't actually work anymore or only work until Microsoft re enables the updater again without user intervention.

A great many of those tips don't actually work anymore or only work until Microsoft re enables the updater again without user intervention.

That guide is for Windows 10 1803. If any don't work, they're the exception.

Last edited:
That guide is for Windows 10 1803. If any don't work, they're be the exception.

And people have been applying most of these 'fixes' since Windows 10 was released. Microsoft are constantly working out ways around people meddling with Microsoft's operating system and 1803 is definitely no exception, especially if it's Windows 10 Home.

And people have been applying most of these 'fixes' since Windows 10 was released. Microsoft are constantly working out ways around people meddling with Microsoft's operating system and 1803 is definitely no exception, especially if it's Windows 10 Home.

Such as? Give an example, and if it doesn't work then I'll adjust the guide to reflect that.

The one I know of that's changed is the method via Services. I have listed both the pre-1803 and post-1803 Services methods in that guide, and both are labelled for their versions.

The GPE method works, and so does the registry method. So does blocking the Windows 10 update servers.

The 3rd-party software blockers I have in the guide are for 1803, so I presume that they work.

I also have confirmation from multiple people that using the local account method works.

I'm not seeing which of these methods you mean doesn't work. The only one other than 3rd-party software that I haven't tried is the post-1803 Services method (which was given me by Microsoft support post 1803), and I only haven't tried it because my version 1803 Windows 10's WU is already successfully disabled by other methods in that guide.

Last edited:
The only thing incomparable is the lack of features in Android itself, but that is that same with the Linux vs. Windows comparison.

Android has a monthly security update scheme which most device manufactures and carriers don't care about. I have a Nokia 7 Plus which is included in AndroidOne and I do get the monthly security updates.

There are many tangible things that make Android's updating scheme different and less intrusive than Windows 10's.

The fact that mobile carriers don't do monthly updates into perpetuity is also a factor that is counted in people's experiences with Android updates.

The feature updates would occur more than once a year, but ,again, device manufacturers and carriers either don't care or kind of merge them.

Android's major version updates come once a year, sometimes less.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#Android_7.0_Nougat_(API_24)

Also, Android's major version updates don't change as many things and don't break as many things as Windows 10's bi-annual major version updates do.

Android updates also don't interrupt a person's usage of their Android OS. And when an Android update becomes available, it doesn't automatically install and restart the system. It will simply leave a notification that there's a new update available until the phone owner chooses to install it - that's if they choose to install it. They can choose not to.

And when an Android update becomes available, I don't think that anybody has 12 text documents open, dozens of internet tabs open, and a game running on top that they're heavily invested in.

Android is for mobiles and is a very different platform with very different usage habits and needs than desktops. Mobile platforms are more frivolous content-consumption oriented than desktops. Yet, Android still has a less intrusive update scheme than Windows 10.

Also, it seems like it is a plus to you that there have been no updates at all, not even security updates for years. You would trust an Android device with openly known faults then a desktop getting updated regularly?

Not having an OS session interrupted against the user's will is always a plus.

When an updating scheme becomes intrusive and forceful then the OS cannot be trusted and so disabling updates becomes the necessary course of action.

There are 3rd-party protection software for desktops that make OS security updates unnecessary. I've been running Windows 7 without any updates since summer 2015 and it hasn't had a single problem, and no issues found when using 3rd-party software to scan for malware, viruses, etc.

If you disable Windows updates via the registry, give it time, Microsoft re enable it. If for some reason they cannot re enable it they send you a Windows Update installer that magically just appears on your desktop.
If you set it to 2, then it will not be disabled, but you can decide not only what to install, but what to download.

This setting has not been touched by MS over 4 redstone releases.

If you set it to 2, then it will not be disabled, but you can decide not only what to install, but what to download.

This setting has not been touched by MS over 4 redstone releases.

According to Microsoft's documentation, setting the registry edit to 2 is the default of auto-updating and restarting:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...stem-components-to-microsoft-services#bkmk-wu

Add a REG_DWORD value named AutoDownload to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsStore\WindowsUpdate and set the value to 5.

• 0. Notify the user before downloading the update.

• 1. Auto install the update and then notify the user to schedule a device restart.

• 2 (default). Auto install and restart.

• 3. Auto install and restart at a specified time.

• 4. Auto install and restart without end-user control.

• 5. Turn off automatic updates.

There are many tangible things that make Android's updating scheme different and less intrusive than Windows 10's.

The fact that mobile carriers don't do monthly updates into perpetuity is also a factor that is counted in people's experiences with Android updates.

Android's major version updates come once a year, sometimes less.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#Android_7.0_Nougat_(API_24)

Also, Android's major version updates don't change as many things and don't break as many things as Windows 10's bi-annual major version updates do.

Android updates also don't interrupt a person's usage of their Android OS. And when an Android update becomes available, it doesn't automatically install and restart the system. It will simply leave a notification that there's a new update available until the phone owner chooses to install it - that's if they choose to install it. They can choose not to.

And when an Android update becomes available, I don't think that anybody has 12 text documents open, dozens of internet tabs open, and a game running on top that they're heavily invested in.

Android is for mobiles and is a very different platform with very different usage habits and needs than desktops. Mobile platforms are more frivolous content-consumption oriented than desktops. Yet, Android still has a less intrusive update scheme than Windows 10.

Not having an OS session interrupted against the user's will is always a plus.

When an updating scheme becomes intrusive and forceful then the OS cannot be trusted and so disabling updates becomes the necessary course of action.

There are 3rd-party protection software for desktops that make OS security updates unnecessary. I've been running Windows 7 without any updates since summer 2015 and it hasn't had a single problem, and no issues found when using 3rd-party software to scan for malware, viruses, etc.
I would not consider the RS updates major version updates and that's why I included all Android feature updates in my count.

I don't agree there. Android heavily changes battery management, process management and security permissions with every major version. As for breaking: with slow ring updates I have not seen anybody complaining about something breaking that was not documented.
For example: RS4 has issues with some v1 Samba shares. That's very outdated stuff, doesn't concern a hell of a lot of people, but they are working on a fix.

I will write it down one final time: Windows 10 only restarts to install updates during the time period you specify.
If you combine this with the single registry key edit and it is still not enough control, then I don't know what to tell you.

According to Microsoft's documentation, setting the registry edit to 2 is the default of auto-updating and restarting:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...stem-components-to-microsoft-services#bkmk-wu

Add a REG_DWORD value named AutoDownload to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsStore\WindowsUpdate and set the value to 5.

• 1. Auto install the update and then notify the user to schedule a device restart.

Then 0 it is.

I've done this on many PC's, eventually updates either get re enabled or you suddenly see the update just appear on your desktop thanks to some variant of KB4023057 that just somehow keeps sneaking in there. Quite often I've even noticed the 'defer updates' setting being ignored and feature updates still being applied.

Last edited:
Back