Win 8 love

Climber

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm beginning to think that I'm the only one who loves Windows 8, well besides Heatlessun :eek: . I'm being serious, for whatever reason the whole OS just clicks with me. Looked up a few keyboard commands and I can navigate around the OS just as fast, if not as fast, as I could in Win 7.

I bought it on a wim this last weekend as I couldn't find my code for Win7 and I got it for 9.99 from the University so figured what the hell for a 40 piece chicken nugget meal I could give it a try. I had held off upgrading the laptops I had bought just because of all the hate from here and a couple other tech forums. I'm probably going to upgrade the laptops now after letting the wife play around with it and see what she thinks, but the ability to custom load pictures and the picture tiles already made her quite to see.

The amount of customization you can do to personalize it is IMO awesome beyond words. Every area of the interface is customized for me and I now have 1 click instant access to pretty much everything I need and I view the the tiles as another form of Rocketdock and I can seamlessly bounce back and forth between tiles and the desktop. The windows key with appropriate keyboard commands has made my life so much easier. It took all of an hour to get the hang of it.

With the tiles in the background my PC doesn't look like a giant ass windows 8 phone, but even when I switch to the tiles the page is customized enough that it doesn't look like Bob the Builder got into a fight with buckets of fluorescent paint cans. Anywho, I just thought I would post something positive (I already donned the flame suit) about Windows 8. I'm not regretting the purchase, especially for $10.00, and have been having fun learning y way around the system, and honestly, at least for me, the OS is extremely easy and intuitive once you learn the system. While I'm sure many of you are considerably more tech savvy than I, I'll just post the keyboard commands that have made Win 8 so much more engaging than any other OS I've used in the last couple of decades.

Winkey: toggles between Start Menu and last app
Winkey + C: opens the Sidebar (now called the "charms" bar. A little fruity but it is a sidebar to me
Winkey + D: opens desktop
Winkey + E: opens file explorer
Winkey + F: searches for files
Winkey + I: opens the settings (power switch and other settings)
Winkey + X: quick access to task manager, command prompt, disk management, start menu functions, etc...

Well anyways, I know a lot of you guys hate Win 8 but so far I'm loving it. maybe after a while the shiny effect will wear off but so far it has been one of the best $10.00 PC purchases I've ever made. Knowing what I do now I'd probably even spend the full 200 February price increase on it instead of a Win 7 Ultimate license, :eek:

Try the shortcuts on a tablet with out a keyboard. Happy for you that you like win 8 but unfortunately your just asking to start a flame war.

9-10 times when I'm at home I'm on my PC I'm only using a mouse with my keyboard in reach...but not really in use unless I need to type something. Mouse-only Win 8 has been pretty clunky thus far.

Better keep that flame suit handy! Wrench00 is right: in this forum, posting that you like Windows 8 is considered trolling.

By the way, I too like Windows 8. I've just stopped posting about it because it only seems to upset people.

9-10 times when I'm at home I'm on my PC I'm only using a mouse with my keyboard in reach...but not really in use unless I need to type something. Mouse-only Win 8 has been pretty clunky thus far.

How so? Once you're on the desktop it is just like Win 7 or XP. Sure you don't have the start button native but you can pin stuff to the task bar if you need it. I use the keyboard shortcuts but I still use the mouse just as much as I used to.

And Wrench, I was primarily talking about the desktop and I really wasn't trying to start a flame war, just wanted to let anyone know that was on the fence it really isn't as bad as it is made out to be.

I'm beginning to think that I'm the only one who loves Windows 8, well besides Heatlessun :eek: .

LOL! Glad you're enjoying it. Funny thing is I've actually never said that I love Windows 8. My perspective is different than most Windows users, I use different form factors and input methods with Windows and have long before Windows 8. I simply find 8 much better on tablets than prior versions and the desktop simply isn't that different for me.

Not perfect, never said it was but if Windows 8 were half as bad as some say I have no idea how anyone would be able to use it.

Better keep that flame suit handy! Wrench00 is right: in this forum, posting that you like Windows 8 is considered trolling.
Um, no. Issues have arisen where a select few folks attempt misleading argument tactics or, in general, making up crap about arguments we've had in the past..<awkward silence>

I invite you to PM me a thread where someone has been criticized for liking W8. Prove me wrong.

OP: It's great when you find something that fits how you work. If anyone DOES come out of the wood work here to criticize your choice, ignore them; they aren't you.

I am using W8 on all PC's in my home, but only one of the users actually uses the interface. I personally just go straight to the desktop, yet I love the changes to the backend of the OS.

I think though that W8 is getting the Vista treatment. I have now heard several people at work claim their disdain for W8 when they in fact have never even tried it themselves. I have called them on it several times, but it seems to be catching.

And posting that Metro wasn't designed for desktops is considered "bashing", "hating", and "not liking change". What else you got? :)

Um, no. Issues have arisen where a select few folks attempt misleading argument tactics or, in general, making up crap about arguments we've had in the past..<awkward silence>

I invite you to PM me a thread where someone has been criticized for liking W8. Prove me wrong.

OP: It's great when you find something that fits how you work. If anyone DOES come out of the wood work here to criticize your choice, ignore them; they aren't you.

Getting called Microsoft spokesmen and fanboys and employees doesn't count as criticism? Well, I guess it doesn't since it's more name-calling than actual criticism... but I do recall other "labels" that were put on Windows 8 likers as well.

Look, Win 8 is a fine OS. Its faster, more secure and more stable. It's also built for touch and a new generation of hardware. We get that.

But I'd like to hear if someone actually finds it more efficient on a pc. Things like the new file history, file copy, explorer ribbon, maybe even some Metro apps. Do any of these things make you like the OS more, do you use them? So far I have heard nothing in any forum about these features. My personal opinion - love the task manager, don't use Explorer (not efficient), hate they removed essential features like shadow copy.

It seems like at the end of the day, its an incremental update for those of us not blessed with an Ultrabook/tablet/hybrid. Nice to have, but nothing special.

Getting called Microsoft spokesmen and fanboys and employees doesn't count as criticism? Well, I guess it doesn't since it's more name-calling than actual criticism... but I do recall other "labels" that were put on Windows 8 likers as well.
Link it then. You are obviously thinking of a specific thread, link it and prove me wrong. Show me where someone says they like W8 and is criticized for it.

I tried it the other day on a spare SSD I had just taken from my old netbook. I like it, especially with Classic Shell installed to bring back the start menu. Only thing is I'm not prepared to test out all my devices and software all over again.

For example, I installed 7-Zip and didn't notice it integrating itself into the shell interface. And I have some other devices that might cause problems. The incentives are just not worth the work right now. Maybe when Win 8's successor comes out I will move on.

Link it then. You are obviously thinking of a specific thread, link it and prove me wrong. Show me where someone says they like W8 and is criticized for it.

In this thread, I was told that I'm not a true multitasker and that I don't get work done.

But to counter the actual point... how much of what has happened over Windows 8 is criticizing someone over their choice of liking/disliking Windows 8, and rather just flaming and name-calling? There are very few instances of criticisms on either side that doesn't deserve it (ie. saying they dislike the OS without actually using it, which was common early on), and a lot more of just general "heated" debates due to clashing views.

Look, Win 8 is a fine OS. Its faster, more secure and more stable. It's also built for touch and a new generation of hardware. We get that.

But I'd like to hear if someone actually finds it more efficient on a pc. Things like the new file history, file copy, explorer ribbon, maybe even some Metro apps. Do any of these things make you like the OS more, do you use them? So far I have heard nothing in any forum about these features. My personal opinion - love the task manager, don't use Explorer (not efficient), hate they removed essential features like shadow copy.

It seems like at the end of the day, its an incremental update for those of us not blessed with an Ultrabook/tablet/hybrid. Nice to have, but nothing special.

I use File History and a number of Metro apps, Netflix, Kindle, news readers, get a lot of info from live tiles, etc. even on a desktop. As far as efficiency, I think launching apps and from the Start Screen is faster at launching apps with my desktop touch pad but it does take time to organize the tiles, something that I've said needs to be improved in 8. The task bar is quite a bit better than 7.

But as I've also said, Windows 8 isn't big change on the desktop overall, but then Vista wasn't a huge change over 7 but was a collection of smaller refinements that overall made the OS much better. I would at this point prefer to use Windows 8 on a desktop simply because I'm used to it and since I use Windows 8 tablets I just like having everything the same.

In this thread, I was told that I'm not a true multitasker and that I don't get work done.
Would this be before or after you said there were no usability issues on the desktop?

How about you link the post that you're talking about, specifically? Might take me a while to find what you are referring to otherwise.

But to counter the actual point... how much of what has happened over Windows 8 is criticizing someone over their choice of liking/disliking Windows 8, and rather just flaming and name-calling? There are very few instances of criticisms on either side that doesn't deserve it (ie. saying they dislike the OS without actually using it, which was common early on), and a lot more of just general "heated" debates due to clashing views.
No, that's not the point. The point was two posters in this thread mischaracterized previous arguments about W8, and when challenged to back it up, haven't ( not done finding your reference in that thread ). As it's the same two that often mischaracterize, misdirect or have otherwise engaged in previous fallacies, I can't really call that surprising.

Last edited:
Try the shortcuts on a tablet with out a keyboard. Happy for you that you like win 8 but unfortunately your just asking to start a flame war.

RABBLE RABBLE!!! RAH RAH RAH!!!!

I actually love Windows 8, myself.... :D.

Usability is a very subjective topic.
Not according to Tsumi. Check out his link.

Anyway, I don't want to pollute threads with this same tired crap. If someone wants to actually prove me wrong, PM me the link. I'd be interested to see it.

Would this be before or after you said there were no usability issues on the desktop?

How about you link the post that you're talking about, specifically? Might take me a while to find what you are referring to otherwise.

No, that's not the point. The point was two posters in this thread mischaracterized previous arguments about W8, and when challenged to back it up, haven't ( not done finding your reference in that thread ). As it's the same two that often mischaracterize, misdirect or have otherwise engaged in previous fallacies, I can't really call that surprising.

I don't want to. It keeps forcing me. Hence the usability problems. Why the hell would you want your email, calendar, or weather to be full screen? Do you multitask? Ever? Some of us have to do real work. I code for a living. I'm constantly replying to emails, having to reference dates, and occasionally when I do check the weather I only need to know some basic quick information. I already have a tablet. It's called a Nexus 7. I don't wanna turn my 24 inch monitor into one.

By FormFiller:
LOL. That applies to around 99% of the buyers then! How many W8 geeks do you think people on average know?

According to you, pretty much EVERYONE is bound to frustrations! Seriously, you W8 flat-earthers are just too cute. Just read what you are writing about this OS and yet you defend that turd. Unbelievable.

It is true they kinda misrepresented it though. However, it is also true that any talk of the Windows 8 UI tends to devolve into a flamefest, or, at best, a heated debate.

Controversial things tend to incite heated discussion. Is this really surprising to you?

Controversial things tend to incite heated discussion. Is this really surprising to you?

Not really. The rate at which it descends into a flamefest is a bit surprising at times. Very rarely does it remain a civilized discussion for more than a page or two.

Although I guess that has mostly died down by now as most people seem to have lost interest, which is to be expected.

I'm beginning to think that I'm the only one who loves Windows 8, well besides Heatlessun :eek: . I'm being serious, for whatever reason the whole OS just clicks with me. Looked up a few keyboard commands and I can navigate around the OS just as fast, if not as fast, as I could in Win 7.

I bought it on a wim this last weekend as I couldn't find my code for Win7 and I got it for 9.99 from the University so figured what the hell for a 40 piece chicken nugget meal I could give it a try. I had held off upgrading the laptops I had bought just because of all the hate from here and a couple other tech forums. I'm probably going to upgrade the laptops now after letting the wife play around with it and see what she thinks, but the ability to custom load pictures and the picture tiles already made her quite to see.

The amount of customization you can do to personalize it is IMO awesome beyond words. Every area of the interface is customized for me and I now have 1 click instant access to pretty much everything I need and I view the the tiles as another form of Rocketdock and I can seamlessly bounce back and forth between tiles and the desktop. The windows key with appropriate keyboard commands has made my life so much easier. It took all of an hour to get the hang of it.

With the tiles in the background my PC doesn't look like a giant ass windows 8 phone, but even when I switch to the tiles the page is customized enough that it doesn't look like Bob the Builder got into a fight with buckets of fluorescent paint cans. Anywho, I just thought I would post something positive (I already donned the flame suit) about Windows 8. I'm not regretting the purchase, especially for $10.00, and have been having fun learning y way around the system, and honestly, at least for me, the OS is extremely easy and intuitive once you learn the system. While I'm sure many of you are considerably more tech savvy than I, I'll just post the keyboard commands that have made Win 8 so much more engaging than any other OS I've used in the last couple of decades.

Winkey: toggles between Start Menu and last app
Winkey + C: opens the Sidebar (now called the "charms" bar. A little fruity but it is a sidebar to me
Winkey + D: opens desktop
Winkey + E: opens file explorer
Winkey + F: searches for files
Winkey + I: opens the settings (power switch and other settings)
Winkey + X: quick access to task manager, command prompt, disk management, start menu functions, etc...

Well anyways, I know a lot of you guys hate Win 8 but so far I'm loving it. maybe after a while the shiny effect will wear off but so far it has been one of the best $10.00 PC purchases I've ever made. Knowing what I do now I'd probably even spend the full 200 February price increase on it instead of a Win 7 Ultimate license, :eek:

Why would I want to hit all those keys when I can just click on it from the desktop!

Its not that they hate windows 8, its the whole gui and other things.

I hated windows 8 until I found out about the 3rd party solutions. Now it really isnt too bad.

The rate at which it descends into a flamefest is a bit surprising at times. Very rarely does it remain a civilized discussion for more than a page or two.
There's often some sort of catalyst. The catalyst here is, as is customary, within the first post:
I know a lot of you guys hate Win 8 but so far I'm loving it.
It probably wasn't intentional, but the statement will appear to those who don't like Windows 8 as a challenge to justify their positions. Given the controversial nature of the subject matter, the relatively innocuous-looking challenge results in devolution, as a result of simple human nature.

Ironically, those who express distaste for the inevitable devolution are as significant contributors to it as anyone else, as they're simply re-invoking the original challenge and bringing back to the forefront.

There's often some sort of catalyst. The catalyst here is, as is customary, within the first post:

It probably wasn't intentional, but the statement will appear to those who don't like Windows 8 as a challenge to justify their positions. Given the controversial nature of the subject matter, the relatively innocuous-looking challenge results in devolution, as a result of simple human nature.

Ironically, those who express distaste for the inevitable devolution are as significant contributors to it as anyone else, as they're simply re-invoking the original challenge and bringing back to the forefront.

Naw, we are just bored as hell and need something to do, even if its whining. :cool:

I think it could also be that quite a few people love it and hate it. Love the changes, hate the new gui.

Naw, we are just bored as hell and need something to do, even if its whining. :cool:

I think it could also be that quite a few people love it and hate it. Love the changes, hate the new gui.

Hahaha, that's true. I need something to keep me awake during my boring history classes.

How is this controversial? It's an obvious upgrade from every measurable metric :confused: .

Why would I want to hit all those keys when I can just click on it from the desktop!

Its not that they hate windows 8, its the whole gui and other things.

I hated windows 8 until I found out about the 3rd party solutions. Now it really isnt too bad.

Then you can use the desktop. It isn't like they took it away. It is actually the same exact amount of steps or less in windows 8 as it was in 7.

This is what I'm not understanding. I'm not a technical savant or some extreme power user so from stand point I can't compare the two. However it seems like it would be even easier for those types as a simple command can bring up all your options in 1 click. Whereas in windows 7 and earlier iterations it would take multiple steps o get there.

For myself 8 is much more efficient than 7 was and much more customizable. I'm enjoying it and I realize that it comes down to different strokes for different folks but the majority of the complaints just sound like temper tantrums that change took place.

I personally love it and even love the new gui. However, that also means that I am very much looking forward to the improvements that will be eventually arriving as well. :D I just do not see myself ever going back to Windows 7 on my personal computers.

I do have a Virtualbox install of XP and 7 just in case I need something off of them though.

Edit: Thank you original poster for what you had to say, many of us appreciate it.

Use windows 8 on my main pc and have for months, I just dont post about it so I dont have to listen to people that used the consumer preview for 5 minutes tell me how wrong I am for liking it.

I dont use any of the start button 3rd party apps, although I did try start8 until the trial expired. I dont see the start screen much. Boot up and when i hit windows key to type a program name and hit enter, or when my 2.5 year old grand daughter wants me to play a game, I'll fire up one of the game apps.

My desktop looks no different than it did in 7 other than not having a start button.

I do like the notification features built into apps, since they dont require me to be ON the start screen to see them.

explorer took some getting used to, but to me is a lot more useful in 8.

Task manager is a LOT better

My system is pretty old so i dont really see a huge increase in boot up time

I've only had one program not work in windows 8 that did in 7 (SAM Broadcaster)

The only thing I use a third party app for now is to change the border size on windows. I use tiny borders.

The only thing I use a third party app for now is to change the border size on windows. I use tiny borders.
This can be done in the registry, but it's not intuitive so I can see a third party app to automate the process being an option. I made my borders and title bar thinner too.

There's some "1.0"-ness to ModernUI, particularly with dual screens and prioritizing ModernUI/Desktop apps, but otherwise Win8 has been fine for me. My workflows have not been inhibited compared to Windows 7, if anything my workflows have improved slightly.

People have their own opinions. I supported Vista. I even supported the ribbons that started coming in everywhere after Office 2007. But not so much Windows 8. The UI just feels too clunky. I never thought having to move my mouse around my computer screen so much could be so annoying (yes I know, first world problems).

But I don't tell anyone they're wrong for liking Windows 8. If you like it, good for you.

People have their own opinions. I supported Vista. I even supported the ribbons that started coming in everywhere after Office 2007. But not so much Windows 8. The UI just feels too clunky. I never thought having to move my mouse around my computer screen so much could be so annoying (yes I know, first world problems).

But I don't tell anyone they're wrong for liking Windows 8. If you like it, good for you.

Oh, its a tablet OS also, so your supposed to touch the screen, no need for the mouse. hehe

I also liked vista(64), but felt the old gui is just fine for me. It can do 1 click stuff too, so not a problem.

I never thought having to move my mouse around my computer screen so much could be so annoying (yes I know, first world problems).

I think the mouse movement argument in Windows 8 is a bit overstated by some, and there's a number of caveats to it. In Windows 7 using multiple screens, you have to move the mouse a lot to get to the Start Menu, without 3rd party tools it's only on one screen. In Windows 8 the Start Screen can be activated on any screen with the hot corner and show up on that screen. And with the use of track pad, a three finger flick brings up my Start Screen instantly without mouse movement.

I think the mouse movement argument in Windows 8 is a bit overstated by some, and there's a number of caveats to it. In Windows 7 using multiple screens, you have to move the mouse a lot to get to the Start Menu, without 3rd party tools it's only on one screen. In Windows 8 the Start Screen can be activated on any screen with the hot corner and show up on that screen. And with the use of track pad, a three finger flick brings up my Start Screen instantly without mouse movement.

Or can press the windows button on the keyboard to bring it up. I dont use it too much though since I like having things pinned on the taskbar or an icon.

This can be done in the registry, but it's not intuitive so I can see a third party app to automate the process being an option. I made my borders and title bar thinner too.

There's some "1.0"-ness to ModernUI, particularly with dual screens and prioritizing ModernUI/Desktop apps, but otherwise Win8 has been fine for me. My workflows have not been inhibited compared to Windows 7, if anything my workflows have improved slightly.

Yeah, it can be done via registry edits....but aint nobody got time for that.

tiny borders works really well

Or can press the windows button on the keyboard to bring it up. I dont use it too much though since I like having things pinned on the taskbar or an icon.

Windows 7 doesn't have taskbar cloning across multiple screens. And you still have to move the mouse back to the primary screen instead of using it on whatever screen you opened the start screen on.

Windows 7 doesn't have taskbar cloning across multiple screens. And you still have to move the mouse back to the primary screen instead of using it on whatever screen you opened the start screen on.

I actually never even noticed, since I only gamed on it for a bit.

I dont use the start button alot but I usually have the screen in regular mode instead of eyefinity.

Its all good really. People will be happy with 8 or 7. Just take what you can get and be happy!

Back