Win 8 love

We all go through this, at first it seems interesting because its something new, but once you begin trying to use the metro apps on your desktop PC you quickly start running into invisible walls of limitations and terrible usability because the interface was designed for phones and tablets. Soon you'll likely realize there's nothing that metro does better than you could already do in windows desktop.

You'll also likely realize many of the metro apps are just watered down versions of what's available on a website or x86 app. Eventually you'll probably want the start menu back, there are a few third party tools if you google. Finally, like many you may realize you don't necessarily dislike Metro, there's just not really anything useful or more productive in that environment for a desktop PC user.

While Microsoft made it impossible to remove Metro itself, you can at least minimize the footprint by uninstalling the metro apps Microsoft doesn't want you to uninstall (or rather, they made it intentionally difficult). There are some powershell commands to do this and clean the metro bloat: http://www.technorms.com/16961/powershell-remove-metro-apps-windows-8

Good luck and enjoy your new system!

Awesome thanks for the link. I know whats getting GPOed right away. I fucking hate those metro apps.

Wrench, this link has instructions for a GPO to disable the Metro Store as well. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5804-store-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html

I'm a little surprised no hackers have figured out how to remove/uninstall metro completely but in due time hopefully. Maybe it'll be done by one of those guys that made programs like N-Lite in the past that let you remove normally uninstallable crap from the installation.

"Can be" is the problem. It should prompt for an administrator password by default. That's what privilege elevation is; you temporarily authenticate as a higher-privileged user to do some immediate task before dropping back down into normal user land. Problem with UAC is that it doesn't actually require authentication, unless clicking OK counts as authentication around here.

You've made the incorrect assumption that UAC is a simple prompt, but it's not. There are protections in place such that UAC prompts require action from the user. In theory it cannot be bypassed by software. Requiring a password at UAC prompts provides additional protection against zero-day exploits that might bypass those measures, but the prompt by itself is a real privilege elevation system and does dramatically improve security.

It's really aggravating to see BS about UAC still being propagated in 2013. It's a shame Microsoft didn't do more to combat the FUD around Vista.

We all go through this, at first it seems interesting because its something new, but once you begin trying to use the metro apps on your desktop PC you quickly start running into invisible walls of limitations and terrible usability because the interface was designed for phones and tablets. Soon you'll likely realize there's nothing that metro does better than you could already do in windows desktop.

You'll also likely realize many of the metro apps are just watered down versions of what's available on a website or x86 app. Eventually you'll probably want the start menu back, there are a few third party tools if you google. Finally, like many you may realize you don't necessarily dislike Metro, there's just not really anything useful or more productive in that environment for a desktop PC user.

While Microsoft made it impossible to remove Metro itself, you can at least minimize the footprint by uninstalling the metro apps Microsoft doesn't want you to uninstall (or rather, they made it intentionally difficult). There are some powershell commands to do this and clean the metro bloat: http://www.technorms.com/16961/powershell-remove-metro-apps-windows-8

Good luck and enjoy your new system!

Don't speak as if you represent everyone. A lot of people are fine using the Start Screen on a desktop, and I have found that it's more useful since it can be pulled up on any screen instead of having to go to the middle screen. Not to mention, I've pinned everything to it instead of my desktop, and now I use my desktop only to temporarily store files I'm working on.

Also, Metro apps were designed to be for mobile usage, and to be restricted. There is no rule saying that because it is there, you have to use it. You have the choice between using Metro apps and desktop programs.

Wrench, this link has instructions for a GPO to disable the Metro Store as well. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5804-store-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html

I'm a little surprised no hackers have figured out how to remove/uninstall metro completely but in due time hopefully. Maybe it'll be done by one of those guys that made programs like N-Lite in the past that let you remove normally uninstallable crap from the installation.

Metro is an integral part of Windows 8, removing it risks breaking a lot of things, and there simply is no reason to remove it when it can easily be hidden.

Metro is an integral part of Windows 8, removing it risks breaking a lot of things, and there simply is no reason to remove it when it can easily be hidden.

Integral? For tablets and phones maybe. Not for PC's. And sure there's a reason to remove it, so its not sitting in memory and not taking up space along with all the useless metro apps. Thats called bloat. Simply hiding it isn't as clean. Why keep something running all the time that I'm never, ever going to use?

We'll have to agree to disagree. You use windows the way you want, I'll use it the way I want. This is not a one size fits all and users be damned.

Integral? For tablets and phones maybe. Not for PC's. And sure there's a reason to remove it, so its not sitting in memory and not taking up space along with all the useless metro apps. Thats called bloat. Simply hiding it isn't as clean. Why keep something running all the time that I'm never, ever going to use?

We'll have to agree to disagree. You use windows the way you want, I'll use it the way I want. This is not a one size fits all and users be damned.

Actually, it is an "integral" part of Windows 8. Most of the UI interface is completely BASED off of Metro, if you were to remove Metro itself alot of the UI features on anything (even desktop) would cease to work.

Metro is a pain to some, to others its not bad. I have users I have installed Windows 8 for that absolutely love Metro and there regular users. They link all their important links straight to the Metro Application Table and control their entire system through there.

I have no problems with Metro, granted I bypass it entirely using Start8, but when I want something quick to use, I have all my important apps linked to it incase I decide to use it.

Sidenote not related to this response: I really love Windows 8, once people get past the bad juju it got from their "technician friends" its not bad at all. I think its a very stable OS, runs great, and looks good too. If all your upset about is Metro, $5 gets you a great program to bypass it. There are free versions out there too that work the same, but I think Start8 looks the best. All in all, great OS.

You clearly don't understand what I meant by integral. By integral, I meant that a large portion of the OS depends on the code in order to function correctly. Everything is interconnected in an OS, removing one part risks breaking the entire system in a way that's not recoverable. Metro is not an add-on feature, it is embedded in Windows 8. Hiding it is the only sure way to not break anything, and it would take a significant amount of work (if not impossible) to completely remove Metro.

And Microsoft does allow you to use it however you want. You can install any 3rd party program you want, as long as it's made to install on Windows, you can write your own programs to install on Windows, heck, you can even give yourself a virus if you really wanted to.

What you're asking is akin to installing Xplorer2 and wanting the native file explorer removed, or installing Rainmeter and wanting the native desktop removed to save space. It doesn't happen.

Windows RT is a COM implementation like other Windows technologies such as DirectX. Metro apps are indeed Windows apps but sandboxed and without the default windows controls. If you install the tool for Startdock called Modern Mix, you get a very good explanation of how it all works as Modern Mix allows for Metro to run all on the desktop with resizable windows and it adds windowing controls to all Metro apps. Windows RT doesn't add bloat to Windows any more than something like DirectX and is actually pretty efficient, it has to be to run on resource and power constrained devices.

+ 1 for windows Hate, I had a good experience with win 7 xp even 3.1 but it seems to me the best bet is to skip every other windows release. perhaps a touch enabled device would make 8 shine .sorry no luv here

Back