• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Win 10 Poll Kept it Or Ditched it

Win 10 Poll

  • I love it, I'm keeping it.

    Votes: 124 58.8%
  • I hated it, keeping win 7

    Votes: 54 25.6%
  • I haven't tried it but I'm going to tell you what I think anyway.

    Votes: 33 15.6%

  • Total voters
    211
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past, that has been true, but MS have made it difficult-to-impossible to do exactly that.

I won't argue with it being more difficult than it was in the past, but it certainly isn't impossible. Search is your friend.
 
kept it on 2 laptops and a desktop.

Ditched it on my Mix 2 11. 8.1 just feels better on this device, and win10 shortened its battery life noticeably.

Haven't yet installed it on my main rig. gonna wait until the last possible moment.
 
Tried it, liked it for 2 weeks, regained sanity, went back to 7. Lost sanity again, tried for 2 more days, still found same issues as issues, went back to 7 for the long term future.

I get it, you want my data. Only I turn those things off and opt out and Fiddler shows me how much of a big fat liar that you are when you say "opting out = opting out".

You're not going to take away my ability to manage what updates get installed on the hardware I bought and paid for; I don't care how great you want me to believe DX12 will be.

You also have MS being one of the few companies NOT taking a stand against CISA, with an OS that a lot of people consider a big chunk of spyware....meh, no thanks.
 
Installed it on a completely separate SSD, so far it works, and I have used the tweaks to stop Win 10 giving my telemetry data, which, I was under the impression that Enterprise edition could switch it off completely, but I don't think that is the case.

I also found the default windows menu is nowhere near what Win 7 was, so I replaced it with classic shell.

I went back to win 7 after playing around with it a bit, as I have not found a need to immediately upgrade to Win 10, nor have I performed an complete OS backup of the win 7 system yet, so Win 10 isn't going on that system anytime soon.
 
Tried it for a few days and back to 7 I go. Numerous issues and I'm not at all convinced that turning off all spyware actually keeps MS from collecting personal data.
 
I had the "pleasure" of upgrading a HP Stream 11 from Win 8.1 to Win 10. Once I got past the enormous hassle of having to clear up 15 GB of free space on a 32GB SSD which had a 7GB dedicated restore partition plus a 8.1 install, it went smoothly.

But it quickly became clear to me that Windows 10 is designed to be inherently and aggressively hostile to folks who like to optimize, tweak, and streamline their systems. Having to resort to Powershell to remove bundled apps? Lame. Settings split between the Settings App and Control panel? Lame. OneDrive nearly inextricably integrated into File Explorer? Lame. New "start menu" that is less useful than Win7's? Lame.

In terms of the look and feel, I'm ok with the changes. They feel like "change for the sake of change", rather than an improvement, but they still work.

But I ain't upgradin'.

I can see why they split the settings between settings and control panel. It is for those people who should never, ever, ever go into control panel. You know the ones I am talking about.

OneDrive is easy to disable.

Bundled apps suck.. but I just uninstalled all possible through the apps in settings.

I like it better than 7 and a whole lot better than stock 8/8.1.

The start menu still leaves a bit to be desired, but it works fine once you get used to it.
 
Tried it in a VM. Actually liked the UI changes. No need to switch over as 7 does everything I need it to. Telemetry can die in a fire. Will likely stay on Win7 as long as possible.
 
After installing classic shell and running the script from "clear the bloat" thread and disabling and deleting everything I dont need it feels like a fine OS so I'm keeping it. But I have to say, even after doing all that I am not convinced that all telemetry and data collecting BS has stopped.
 
At this point I'm running it on all 3 of my personal computers.

I am running it on my work laptop and desktop now for testing and will be ramping up for OS deployment testing at work soon.

It's the future. Holding on to Windows 7 is a futile effort in the long run. Better to get prepared now rather than deny it's relevance forever like everyone did when upgrading from XP which became an emergency project for many and EOL.
 
At this point I'm running it on all 3 of my personal computers.

I am running it on my work laptop and desktop now for testing and will be ramping up for OS deployment testing at work soon.

It's the future. Holding on to Windows 7 is a futile effort in the long run. Better to get prepared now rather than deny it's relevance forever like everyone did when upgrading from XP which became an emergency project for many and EOL.

Meh, it holds even fewer improvements than 7 has over XP. Rushing to deploy 8 resulted in "such headache.. so wow."
 
It's the future. Holding on to Windows 7 is a futile effort in the long run. Better to get prepared now rather than deny it's relevance forever like everyone did when upgrading from XP which became an emergency project for many and EOL.

Funny you should mention that....:rolleyes:
XP is still reportedly on more than 8% of all computers worldwide according to Statcounter, yet - where are all the gigantic XP fleet zombifications that Microsoft warned everybody about when they were doing their hard push to get everyone to ditch XP like a needy crackhead? "If you run XP you're in danger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~!!!"

Somehow, I think 7 having 5 more years until EOL will work out just fine, if XP is technically dead in the ground, unsupported, and a poor choice for an OS but there's still plenty of XP machines active in the wild as of today...with no major news articles pointing to massive XP pwning and hacking going on.

What there are many news articles about, however, is all the nonsense baked into 10 and the issues with the forced updates. At this point I'd rather run an XP64 machine than a 10 one.
 
Last edited:
Upgraded day 1 of RTM, never going back. You either adapt to the times or become a dinosaur. Or go *nix and become irrelevant like your OS is in the desktop world lol.

As a Windows 10 and .nix user and enthusiast, this comment is saddening....
 
Funny you should mention that....:rolleyes:
XP is still reportedly on more than 8% of all computers worldwide according to Statcounter, yet - where are all the gigantic XP fleet zombifications that Microsoft warned everybody about when they were doing their hard push to get everyone to ditch XP like a needy crackhead? "If you run XP you're in danger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~!!!"

Somehow, I think 7 having 5 more years until EOL will work out just fine, if XP is technically dead in the ground, unsupported, and a poor choice for an OS but there's still plenty of XP machines active in the wild as of today...with no major news articles pointing to massive XP pwning and hacking going on.

What there are many news articles about, however, is all the nonsense baked into 10 and the issues with the forced updates. At this point I'd rather run an XP64 machine than a 10 one.

There are no major news articles about XP because it is not clickbait, duh! :D ;) Clickbait is also why you see a lot of the Windows 10 articles out there.
 
What there are many news articles about, however, is all the nonsense baked into 10 and the issues with the forced updates. At this point I'd rather run an XP64 machine than a 10 one.
This is simple hyperbole, and nonsense.
 
Care to list some things?
Well, the fact that you literally cannot completely disable telemetry comes to mind. The fact that you have to drop to a powershell to remove built-in apps for another. Forced automatic updates is a third.
 
Love it and keeping it. That's not to say it's not without it's faults, though. A lot of stuff that I'd change (but can't). But, the Insiders Previews fix more and more of those faults for me, though. So, it keeps improving.

Overall, I really love it, though. Could I get by on Windows 7? Absolutely. Nothing in 10 is really necessary for me. Cortana is nice, better search is nice, I like the start menu, touch capabilities, etc.. Just not required right now. No real reason to upgrade. What does it do that 7 doesn't? Not a whole lot, and nothing that I really NEED. So, it was a personal reason.
 
Well, the fact that you literally cannot completely disable telemetry comes to mind. The fact that you have to drop to a powershell to remove built-in apps for another. Forced automatic updates is a third.

The jury is still out on whether the telemetry stuff is even anything to care about. People throw the word around like it means credit card numbers or social security numbers or STD test results or something. "OMG MS knows my app crashed and I open the control panel once in a while."

The built-in apps are just there, I don't understand the need to totally remove them, but maybe MS doesn't either. Some of them are a little bothersome, like the "Get Office" thing that is there all the time and keeps reinstalling and even if you have Office already. Annoying, but not show stopping.

Forced updates in <Pro is a potential problem, but unless it actually causes that problem MS won't do anything about it. I can understand they are trying to keep everyone generally in the same range of updates, time will tell if this is actually a good idea or not. We'll see soon when the big TH2 update goes out.
 
The jury is still out on whether the telemetry stuff is even anything to care about. People throw the word around like it means credit card numbers or social security numbers or STD test results or something. "OMG MS knows my app crashed and I open the control panel once in a while."

The built-in apps are just there, I don't understand the need to totally remove them, but maybe MS doesn't either. Some of them are a little bothersome, like the "Get Office" thing that is there all the time and keeps reinstalling and even if you have Office already. Annoying, but not show stopping.

Forced updates in <Pro is a potential problem, but unless it actually causes that problem MS won't do anything about it. I can understand they are trying to keep everyone generally in the same range of updates, time will tell if this is actually a good idea or not. We'll see soon when the big TH2 update goes out.

MS is never going to disclose exactly what's inside their encrypted datastream back to the mothership, that continues to transmit even after you think you've disabled data collection. And "pay no attention to the data behind the curtain" does not inspire in me any great confidence, nor any sense of obligation to provide data to MS in a paid OS. As for not understanding why to remove built-in apps, well on the other hand why should I keep something around I know I will *never* use? I have no interest in shitty mobile apps on my PC. That's called crapware/bloat.

The bigger issue you seem to be missing is that there simply aren't enough compelling improvements or new features in 10 to make putting up with all that bullshit worth it. I don't want to spend 1-2 hours fighting my OS after installing it, opting out of every scattered privacy setting that I know really only disables it halfway, then having to research the latest methods / powershell scripts / registry tweaks to *ACTUALLY* defeat data collection, and then having to constantly look over my shoulder and worry about the next windows update undoing those changes. Fuck that.
 
Last edited:
MS is never going to disclose exactly what's inside their encrypted datastream back to the mothership, that continues to transmit even after you think you've disabled data collection. And "pay no attention to the data behind the curtain" does not inspire in me any great confidence, nor any sense of obligation to provide data to MS in a paid OS.
Microsoft is a company, and companies are entitled to protect their IP. Their information collection methods are actually things they are allowed to obfuscate. As well, since nobody reliably knows what's in the datastream, that means it's pretty safe. If they were sending everything in cleartext I'd be a little more worried.

As for not understanding why to remove built-in apps, well on the other hand why should I keep something around I know I will *never* use? I have no interest in shitty mobile apps on my PC.
These apps are not exactly taking terabytes of space, and as far as I can tell, they can't interact much with desktop apps. If you use another mail app, calendar app, whatevers, the built-in ones don't really do much. You are entitled to your opinion on the quality of the apps (I don't think they are that bad) but your opinion isn't what drives Microsoft. The people who keep the telemetry on.. well.. maybe we have a little more say.

The bigger issue you seem to be missing is that there simply aren't enough compelling improvements or features in 10 to make putting up with all that bullshit worth it. I don't want to spend 1-2 hours fighting my OS after installing it, opting out of every scattered privacy setting that I know really only disables it halfway, then having to research the latest methods / powershell scripts / registry tweaks to *ACTUALLY* defeat data collection, and then have to look over my shoulder and worry about the next windows update undoing those changes. Fuck that.
If you feel all of this is required, hey, your version of an upgrade is different than mine and that's fine. I just know I ran setup, upgraded, set my color scheme and DPI, and got back to work. If you have more procedures, I dunno.
 
If you feel all of this is required, hey, your version of an upgrade is different than mine and that's fine. I just know I ran setup, upgraded, set my color scheme and DPI, and got back to work. If you have more procedures, I dunno.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose (and I don't mean you but all the people that just unwittingly clicked "upgrade" because they got tired of the popup nag coming up every time they woke up their computer). But the privacy concerns are hardly just me bothered by them. And they're not going away, sorry.

When Windows 10 is collecting data, there's nowhere to run to for general purpose computing. It sucks, no matter if it's google, apple, ms or facebook (worst of them all) doing the tracking. Thing is, when we're talking about people's computing OS, that's crossing a far bigger boundary than a phone OS or website.

I can close Chrome, I can decide not to send certain data through Gmail. I can still use my desktop without those, and Google will not know what I am doing on that desktop. How am I supposed to use a Win10 desktop without my data being collected/harvested/possibly transferred to another party? I can close an app and still work/play. I cannot close my desktop and still work/play.

Windows 10 is spyware, it fulfills Microsoft's own definition of spyware as it appears on their website. To me, it's not complicated at all : my computer should never do anything without my full knowledge and consent. Anything else and it's not my computer anymore; that broad definition includes everything from zombie botnets to windows 10. My hardware, my control.
 
Last edited:
Microsoft is a company, and companies are entitled to protect their IP. Their information collection methods are actually things they are allowed to obfuscate. As well, since nobody reliably knows what's in the datastream, that means it's pretty safe. If they were sending everything in cleartext I'd be a little more worried.
Its not their IP.

These apps are not exactly taking terabytes of space, and as far as I can tell, they can't interact much with desktop apps. If you use another mail app, calendar app, whatevers, the built-in ones don't really do much. You are entitled to your opinion on the quality of the apps (I don't think they are that bad) but your opinion isn't what drives Microsoft. The people who keep the telemetry on.. well.. maybe we have a little more say.
They take up real estate on my screen and make the OS look ugly.
As a consequence they make it less easy to use and prevent us from putting other things in their place.

If you feel all of this is required, hey, your version of an upgrade is different than mine and that's fine. I just know I ran setup, upgraded, set my color scheme and DPI, and got back to work. If you have more procedures, I dunno.
He is right, there is no need to change, it is a downgrade and an imposition.
Its definitely not an upgrade.
 
Yes, I expect I will be dead before support stops on Win8.1 so there is no need for me to get Win10 any time soon.

Microsoft have admitted that they're going to force everyone to Windows 10. So unless you disable updates, in which case support will stop, than you'll be running W10 no matter what.
 
I only use Windows on my personal machines for gaming and HTPC functionality. Windows 10 is fine for that and I'm sticking with it at home.

At work we are absolutely not upgrading any non-touch hardware to Windows 10. We might upgrade to Server 2016 though, for the ability to better manage the Surface devices we have.
 
Microsoft have admitted that they're going to force everyone to Windows 10. So unless you disable updates, in which case support will stop, than you'll be running W10 no matter what.

Where have they said that? They said they are going to make it a recommended update on WU but not a forced update. I doubt they would have the legal right to do what you say anyway. I bought Win8.0 and not Win10.
 
Voted 3rd option, I run Linux. :D

Though if I was still on Windows I'd probably stick with 7 for as long as 7 continues to be compatible with everything I need, just because I see no reason to upgrade to something if everything is working. When I do end up having to go to 10 I'd just adjust my network firewall to make sure the spy stuff can't get through.

I do have a windows 7 machine for gaming though, but I only turn it on as needed and I disabled updates after hearing they were pushing the spy stuff to it.
 
I tried 10 for a couple of weeks and went back to 8.1
I was having a lot of problems with certain applications not running properly on the system.
I'm not happy with all the telemetry that they're collecting. (keep that out of the "pro" version)
The forced automatic driver management caused me problems with some devices.

The new start menu is terrible. Really slow to update, often giving bad search results.
I am probably in the minority, but I actually think that the latest version of 8.1's start screen is really good. They fixed nearly all of the complaints I had about the start screen in Windows 8. Windows 10's start screen is worse than the state that 8's launched in.

For some reason they changed taskbar icon sizes from 32px to 24px which means that all icons are being scaled down and look really ugly.
There are a lot of small ugly changes like that throughout the OS. It feels like an early beta, not a finished product.
 
Thanks for the click bait article with the totally misleading thread title. Like or hate Microsoft, has already been said what will happen straight from the horses mouth and the automatic install of Windows 10 is completely false.

I agree, it is clickbait to try and lure those who dont like Windows 10 and what MS are doing, to read.
Then the article is pro Windows 10 yet the publics feelings about it clearly show it is not liked.
The opinion of Windows 10 is clear.
 
Thanks for the click bait article with the totally misleading thread title. Like or hate Microsoft, has already been said what will happen straight from the horses mouth and the automatic install of Windows 10 is completely false.

Yes, let's believe every press release statement, and ignore the pattern of them breaking promises and assertions of prior press statements. Because they can always just say "oops, it was an accident" when they contradict themselves.

I do love how the defenders keep moving the goalposts, the worse Microsoft's tactics get. Earlier this year they swore MS would never start nagging people with popups to upgrade to 10, and it was laughed off as tinfoil hat. And then it happened. Then they swore MS would never just automatically download Windows 10 onto your drive without you using the silly "reservation system" to ask for it. And then it happened. They swore MS would never install Windows 10 without prompting. And then it happened.

You'd have to be blind to not see a pattern here. MS's heavy handed tactics are just pissing people off, and bad word-of-mouth is once again going to cost them like it did with Windows 8. Every aggressive new tactic is a calculated risk they're taking, and they're counting on there being far more clueless/non-techie users to offset any mindshare loss among power users, but word travels fast on the internet.
 
Last edited:
I use and like both 8.1 and 10 so far. I think it boils down to if you like the additional services like Cortana in 10 otherwise 8.1 is a little leaner without the additional services. For me 8.1 edges out 10 since you can use Chrome browser with voice activated "Ok Google" instead of having to switch from using local account to Live cloud account to use Cortana, 8.1 looks a bit more professional/cleaner, 8.1 seems a bit easier but probably because I've been using it longer so used to it, 8.1 calculator works right away whereas 10 has a bit of delay before you can input numbers, etc. I won't go back to 7 though.
 
8.1 is actually my primary reason for having high degree of skepticism regarding Win 10, ironically enough.

When I built my new system, I did initially install 8.1, since I had found a solution with the start screen that was completely stopping me from going near win 8, classic shell.

Gave it a spin for a few weeks, then I found out that some games (2013 old, my rig was built in december 2014 so the game is not that old) completely refused to run on 8.1, and initially it ran fine on Win 7.

Whatever performance increases Win 8.1 was giving me, it certainly wasn't worth not being able to play games. Since there was nothing on 8.1 that's keeping me there, I decided to go back to Win 7.

After playing around with OS since early ages (I learned how to install OS since 3.1), I have learned that...

1. Upgrading an entire OS over the old one is NEVER a good idea. It was not a good idea back then, it is not a good idea now. I don't upgrade OS without first trying the new OS on its own first, THEN having my old OS cloned before thinking about OS upgrade.
2. Until I find out how to disable telemetry data completely on the Win 10 (I use enterprise version), I am not moving to Win 10. DX12 games yet have to make an appearance, so I see no point in jumping onto the Win 10 bandwagon (I have nothing to gain), and thus have no problem with waitinguntil DX12 games do actually arrive.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top