Why We DC

Well...

Really good buddy of mine and fellow shipmate passed away of cancer yesterday. He wasn't even 30 years old and left behind a wife and son.

Really shitty, people are not supposed to die that young...

Fold on guys, we are making a difference...

A toast to him , and my thoughts to his family.

I recently added a gtx 670 to my sons rig, im working on adding a faster card to replace his gtx 570.

Roger l

Very sorry to hear about your friend m33pm33p.

Although it looks like I've stopped folding, in fact, I'm reorganizing things and having the electrician come in to install a few more 20A circuits so I can FOLD MORE! Be back at it real soon, and maybe soon we can all kick cancer in its nads.

Very sorry to hear about your friend m33pm33p.

Although it looks like I've stopped folding, in fact, I'm reorganizing things and having the electrician come in to install a few more 20A circuits so I can FOLD MORE! Be back at it real soon, and maybe soon we can all kick cancer in its nads.

That's why I do it. I truly believe we will one day be the people who find a cure and stop pointless death...Hopefully long before my children have to deal with it!

That's why I do it. I truly believe we will one day be the people who find a cure and stop pointless death...Hopefully long before my children have to deal with it!

I agree, and after living with diabetes for a year now, I'm doing everything I can for future generations.

Roger l

Well...

Really good buddy of mine and fellow shipmate passed away of cancer yesterday. He wasn't even 30 years old and left behind a wife and son.

Really shitty, people are not supposed to die that young...

Fold on guys, we are making a difference...

m33pm33p, sorry to hear about this. Fold [H]ard!

My wife's best friend was just told that she has Stage 4 cancer in her abdominal cavity and ovarian cancer. She was having problems with her stomach and was given a clean bill of health six months ago based on biopsies that were take then; however, that has changed now. The good news is that so far they have not found cancer in the colon and are at least giving her a 30% chance of survival. They are starting chemotherapy next week and then will decide on surgery if the chemo starts to control the cancer.

Unfortunately, abdominal cancer took my wife's mom when she was in the 6th grade before we met. I started Folding in my Mother-In-Law's memory and have continued to fold for 14 or 15 years once I found Folding and what it was for. It has been so long I do not remember what year I started and it has probably been longer than that.

I am not a big producer and lurk in the background; however, I continue to Fold. I was contemplating shutting down Folding; however, not now, not ever.

Fold On Brothers & Sisters

My wife's best friend was just told that she has Stage 4 cancer in her abdominal cavity and ovarian cancer. She was having problems with her stomach and was given a clean bill of health six months ago based on biopsies that were take then; however, that has changed now. The good news is that so far they have not found cancer in the colon and are at least giving her a 30% chance of survival. They are starting chemotherapy next week and then will decide on surgery if the chemo starts to control the cancer.

Unfortunately, abdominal cancer took my wife's mom when she was in the 6th grade before we met. I started Folding in my Mother-In-Law's memory and have continued to fold for 14 or 15 years once I found Folding and what it was for. It has been so long I do not remember what year I started and it has probably been longer than that.

I am not a big producer and lurk in the background; however, I continue to Fold. I was contemplating shutting down Folding; however, not now, not ever.

Fold On Brothers & Sisters

Sorry to hear that man. Hope for the best. I share the same sentiment. One way or another Ill continue to fold for as long as possible.

Sorry to hear about your loss, m33pm33p :(

Really wish I could start folding again soon. Seems like an eternity since I contributed anything =/

Sorry to hear about your loss, m33pm33p :(

Really wish I could start folding again soon. Seems like an eternity since I contributed anything =/

Hello, Maya. Nice to hear from you!

From one service member to another, I feel for your bro, It's never good to lay another one of us down, and especially not to something like that, not the way things should be.

On another note, Wow, there's Elle, long time no see lol

So here I am, back in Afghanistan at the moment, just ordered a new laptop yesterday, hopefully it'll get here by this time next month and I can get back on the horse again, internet over here should let me fold if I can figure out a way to time my uploads on low traffic times. Who knows, maybe even get a couple standalone gov computers on the dirty net lol, let the man help us lol (yea, not gonna happen but sounds cool)

Even if its some basic units (it is a laptop after all) I should be able to do something, I hate not doing anything and then someone posts a story like that, so hopefully I'll be able to get something up and running in under a month in honor of your friend.

Hello guys :)

I do have a 3630QM-based laptop at the moment on which I could do some folding, maybe. Leaving the 660M it alone as the cooling in this laptop isn't the greatest :) Need to somehow retrieve my key, though.

My father has been fighting cancer for 3 years and my Brother In Law was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma and is currently undergoing chemo. I decided I had the ability to help with my home rig since 98% of the time it sits idle and the other 2% it's used for surfing.

I've been having issues with the machine crashing since I started folding yesterday so I rolled back my overclock. I'm on here researching building a dedicated machine thou since I only have 5 WU completed in 24 hours.. that doesn't seem very good.

I've been having issues with the machine crashing since I started folding yesterday so I rolled back my overclock. I'm on here researching building a dedicated machine thou since I only have 5 WU completed in 24 hours.. that doesn't seem very good.

Every little bit helps. Thanks for your contributions.

Sorry to hear about your father and brother-in-law.

Well...my grandad was diagnosed with throat cancer last spring, with radiotherapy he battled through and got a tentative all-clear. He was on holiday last week and kept dropping things, his left side basically went all weak and wasn't working properly...turns out he has a brain tumour. They did a scan today and we'll know tomorrow what the plan is, they said depending on the results they'll be looking to operate, and/or go for chemo and radiotherapy, just depends.

I have a lot of respect for that guy, keeping my fingers, toes and everything else crossed that they can do something for him. I have been keeping my systems moving around trying to help in the monthly pushes where possible but I think when I have a sec I'll be pointing whatever I have at WCG, GPUGRID, and any other cancer/bio related projects.

Cancer can suck it.

Prayers, good thoughts, etc... going your way Captain... take note that GPUGrid is also working on a CPU application for x86/64 and ARM processors...so maybe there will be an even bigger push there soon. :)

This thread brings much incentive, and not just from the OPs. Reading about the lives touched by that which we wish to conquer...

It's strong stuff.

RIP Aunt Anita, cancer won this round, but we're still fighting in your place.

Sorry to hear about your loss man, please accept my condolences. This is why I keep folding, even if it isn't to the capacity I used to.

Ax

I met a guy named Kurt when doing paintball back in 99. Hung out, gamed together, traveled for events, shared hotels etc. First went to his house and saw a bakers rack with probably 10 old PCs just humming away, no cases, just motherboard on cardboard or their boxes heh, I had no idea wtf he was doing haha. This was around 2000, he had a little SETI farm setup, told me all about it, he was usually very reserved, but he had a bunch of enthusiasm about it, so I started on SETI (I miss the old SETI interface vs Boinc heh). He moved a few times, but always had his farm setup and upgraded it when he could, we were best friends, hung out constantly.

Middle of 2010 his vision went a little weird driving to work, so he went to a walk in clinic at lunchtime, where the doctor told him to go to the hospital ASAP. After a few days there he was diagnosed with Leukemia. He passed away Feb, of 2011. In about 6 months he went from perfectly fine to gone. He was 35.

I had no idea about DC until he showed me, and it was something he was always passionate about, so I try to keep it going where I can in his memory. Wish I could afford the hardware and power to do more, but I try to keep it going.

Thirteen years ago...
That's when I started this thread.

If you don't care to read the whole thing, I understand...
But, please do me a favor and start reading post #1, if you can stop reading then go ahead and stop. But I'll bet you wind up here and beyond.

Oh, and yeah, I'm still here and still [H]ard.

Did not expect to post in this thread anytime soon, but I now fold for my Dad the one who got me into distributed computing.

Edit: In a better frame of mind today I feel I should elaborate. My dad passed away this weekend from a blood disorder. But he also suffered from kidney cancer. He brought me into the distributed computing word. And is now more why I fold.

Last edited:
I folded for a while and WAS a big producer - my Sis and one of my favorite cousins are Cancer survivors.

I forget why I started working with the Distributed.Net project, but it's been right around 20 years now I've been Mooing - the last year and a half or so via the MooWrapper project on BOINC for the most part.
I worked GIMPS for quite a while, but got bored with it and the very very SLOW progress towards making GPUs usable with that project. Prime95 itself should have had GPU support YEARS ago.
My YOYO work for now is a placeholder, haven't found a good CPU project I actively want to work on yet.

Sooo crazy. After a long hiatus I just installed F@H on my system this morning. Craziest coincidence ever???

Since we are reminiscing... I bump this thread.

thanks relic

BOXEN ! ;)

BOXEN1.JPG

BOXEN2.JPG

Back