Who's making moves to get ready for the new release of cards?

1070ti keeping for 2nd PC - Upgrading to 3080 - hoping price will be at or below $1000CAD / $700 USD

Original Titan from 2013 - I might sell for $150 and replace with 3060 in 3rd PC - hoping price will be at or below $400 CAD / $300 USD
Brought this card back to life by cooking it in the oven not too long ago. Long Live Nvidia! lol

Well, I guess it's one of those 'unethical' reasons perhaps. If taco bought new, returned and got all money back, the item returned can no longer be sold as new. Someone had to take monetary loss..

Maybe taco over-thinking..

Problem is people do not understand the concept of depreciation and sell on emotion.

Ever wonder why retailers charge a restocking fee it covers depreciation. Once item is sold it cannot be sold as new again. For example,I buy a car it leaves lot, it loses value immediately.

GPU and CPUs are no different. We as a company help our disaster struck customers with insurance claims, rarely do they get full reimbursement even with a bill of sale.

I have a relative with a Million dollar Roll Royce limo it depreciated to 500K in two years ylikes.

Is there anyone here on something other than hi end Pascal or turing?😁no wonder prices nt going dwn, y'all upgrade everytime nvidia makes something! Literally every other person posting here has either 1080ti or 2080 or 2080ti.😂

Edit: except snoblikat and Westwood arakis

Id still be on my 7970 if Ark didnt need more than 3gb VRAM just to load the title screen :D

Not doing anything, but I also keep my computers for a few generations and my hardware by then is almost worthless anyway, so...

I do upgrade sooner than I usually plan but, I have found that my upgrade habits have been usually about 2 years or so. I have Vega 56, Vega 64 and RX5700 so upgrading is not really an imperative. I also upgraded to a R53600 and two R7 3700's as well as 2 x 2TB SSD's and therefore, do not want to spend more money, at this time.

Since I'm waiting for water blocks, I got a 2080TI last week (just arrived) to hold me over until the 3090 blocks are ready. That way I can pass the 1080 on to the wife. She'll get the 2080 then, the 1080 will move down another notch.

By then, my balance will be closer to $2000. Still, though, I could never justify that price for a GPU. I can't even justify $1500.

Me neither. I don't game enough in my "old age" to drop that kind of money. 95% of the time the IGP would probably be good enough. I've said multiple times, I would have bought a 2080Ti at $800 without question. $1200 at launch? It made me question whether or not I needed it, and I decided I didn't.

I just can't see Nvidia moving backwards on price without at least some form of competition on the high end. At best, it looks like the new mid range sub-$300 cards will be better than a used 1080Ti finally and maybe cards with the 1st gen RTX will be sub $350 for the 2080s in the used market.

I'm slightly interested in the new cards as I game at 1440p ultra wide 144hz and may upgrade to ultra ultra wide at some point. I'm waiting for confirmed pricing and real benchmarks before deciding though so I won't make any moves ahead of time.

I upgraded my R7 1700 to an R9 3900X which made it absolutely clear that I was previously CPU constrained on quite a few titles.

That said, I'm not gonna get a next gen GPU for a few months after launch. Partially because of the cost of upgrading my CPU to a 3900X, partially because I don't want to get a subpar native cooling.

Last edited:
Is there anyone here on something other than hi end Pascal or turing?😁no wonder prices nt going dwn, y'all upgrade everytime nvidia makes something! Literally every other person posting here has either 1080ti or 2080 or 2080ti.😂

You aren’t at SoftForum

Although I am not surprised at how many “get off my lawn while I hate Apple products and use my Jitterbug flip phone” type people are here. I’m guessing they were enthusiasts who fell off the hardware bus back when Prescott cores were the hot thing and beige colored ATX towers were the go to item for their file servers. Then they just stuck around for the community even though the technology train left them behind decades ago.

I'm in a wait and see place right now. My VR/sim racing rig could use an upgrade, so I'm hoping the bottom falls out on 1080ti's. Should be a big enough bump over the rx580 that's in it. And iRacing liked nvidia cards even if I don't

I'm still on a GTX 980 here, been itching for an upgrade and was planning on doing so with Turing - until I saw the jacked-up prices! Getting said GTX 980 in late 2015 rather than waiting for Pascal was a mistake in hindsight, but so was buying the Oculus Rift CV1 at 2016 prices ($800 for HMD and Touch controllers combined) when it got cut in half just a year later...

It's clear I'm due for a new GPU, because I tested an RTX 2080 in my old i7-4770K system briefly, and my DCS framerates doubled in VR. Granted, it's a notoriously unoptimized sim, but it just goes to show that I can stave off an entirely new PC build if I can just get a GPU that isn't just barely cutting it for VR, as the GTX 980 ultimately ended up being.

However, I'm not planning on repeating my mistake with Maxwell nearly five years ago, so my move to get ready while I wait is simply "save up money until I could drop $1,200 on a GPU if I really wanted to". Besides, I need to hang on to my existing GPUs for some serious trickle-down effect: new Ampere card goes into the 4770K build, 980 goes into the cheap X5650 build my bro uses, and the 760 in that system goes into my Mac Pro 3,1 so I have something with Metal support that isn't completely wasted on Penryn Core 2-era CPUs.

Last week sold my Strix 2080 locally, plan on using my backup card which is an RX580 until I see what the new cards look like. I went 2080ti initially with this last round but disappointment with RTX I down graded to a 2080 strix after space invaders was given to me for free. Sad thing I will probably go top card again but upgrade to 4k gaming if I can find a 32inch 4k monitor with HDR. Anyone else selling off before the price dip caused by announcements?

I have sold my 1080Ti and Mavic 2 Pro with almost everything (fly more kit, Goggles RE). Now I'm just waiting to pounce on the next top non-Titan card.
But it probably won't be the Founders card. I prefer the quiet and cooler custom alternatives. So I might just wait and read the reviews first.

Currently using the integrated GPU, but that's enough to edit photos and play Town of Salem.

Reactions: Mylex
like this
3080 Ti or Titan on Day 1, depending on whether or not the stock cooler is any good, and the performance difference between the two.

The stock blower on my Titan X Pascal was utter garbage (but was the only way to buy it). After swapping it out for an EVGA Hybrid cooler, the Titan turned out to be the best card I've ever owned (and I've been in this hobby for decades). It'll be 4 years next month that I've owned it. I purchased it on release day from Nvidia direct for $1200. I felt a bit insane at the time to pay that much. Oh, how times change...

Question then becomes, do I sell it, give it to my wife, keep it as a backup, etc. It won't affect my next purchase, I just feel like it deserves to live on.

I will say people that bought a 1080ti early on got great value if they still have it to this day.

I didn't buy mine day 1 but I did get it well before the mining craze started affecting the supply/demand for 1080Ti's and I agree, it's been a great GPU. Good enough that I had zero reservations about skipping Turing all together, especially considering the rather large premium they carried. Realistically I could hold out yet another generation, but I just don't want to.

I will probably buy the 3080. It will be a tough pill to swallow for $1500 I believe the 3080ti will be. Even if it stays at $1200 it will be a no buy for me.

Last edited:
I have a buyer waiting for my 2080 Super and plan to buy a 3080 Ti. Never spent more than $800 for a GPU, so the 3080 will be my end game card for a long time.

I am not planning to buy anything until the cards are on the table. If my first card is Nvidia it will most likely be EVGA, AMD -> Probably straight from AMD, reference model. Decide when we know sufficiently more. With my 1440p monitor, the 5700XT is more than enough for me in performance, playing Assassin's Creed Origins and hitting 83 fps avg FreeSync II without OCing, maxed out settings, HDR using Adaptive AA. Anyways the need is not even there. RT and games that make it worthwhile to have would be one incentive, a better HDR VRR monitor is another. Upcoming VR headsets with higher resolutions would also be another incentive. The move would be more than just a GPU, so the costs will be much more to evaluate for me.

If I had to pay anywhere close to current retail for my 2080ti it would have been a definite no-buy for me, so I can't imagine wanting to go to a 3-series card which is probably going to be more expensive than that. Maybe when the 4-series cards come around.

The only way I could justify replacing it this gen were if A) the 3-series cards just stomp in performance, and B) I could get close to what I paid selling the 2080ti. If A happens, B is unlikely. Realistically the 2080ti runs high-end games at 1440p and 144hz so it's unlikely I'll need better for some time.

If I had to pay anywhere close to current retail for my 2080ti it would have been a definite no-buy for me, so I can't imagine wanting to go to a 3-series card which is probably going to be more expensive than that. Maybe when the 4-series cards come around.

The only way I could justify replacing it this gen were if A) the 3-series cards just stomp in performance, and B) I could get close to what I paid selling the 2080ti. If A happens, B is unlikely. Realistically the 2080ti runs high-end games at 1440p and 144hz so it's unlikely I'll need better for some time.

Seems like CPU performance is a bigger bottleneck at 144hz gaming anyway. You need to invest more resources in maximizing cpu performance for that. 4k60 IMO is way easier to gameplan for, just get an average cpu and max out gpu every 2 years.

Seems like CPU performance is a bigger bottleneck at 144hz gaming anyway. You need to invest more resources in maximizing cpu performance for that. 4k60 IMO is way easier to gameplan for, just get an average cpu and max out gpu every 2 years.

Eh, 50/50 on that one from my experience. Good CPU (4+ cores) will do it fine, then it's all GPU.

I am not... I probably should though. I'll likely never get as much money out of this Radeon VII as I can now. However I likely won't be able to afford a top end Big-Navi part even with whatever cash I scrap from this. So it's not likely worth it for me to do... at least not yet.

I'm not really making any moves...I currently have a 1070 and plan on getting the 3070...but I am tempted to just get a 2070 Super and upgrade the rest of my system (CPU, mobo, memory)...I get a feeling Ampere cards aren't going to be able to run Cyberpunk 2077 at 1440p maxed out (I have a 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor)

No plans to upgrade from my RTX 2070 in the near future. I need to upgrade my CPU / Mobo first. The old i7 6700K is getting long in the tooth. Will probably be waiting for Zen 3 for that.

And remember that the reason for that is because the cost per transistor is not going down significantly with each new node process.
Didn't I just correct you in another thread where you said the same thing even posted a chart that completely missed your point and actually proved otherwise if you used the right #s?

3700x:
"So, lets just ignore the 2.09B transistors for the IO..... and say 7.8 billion transistors. Using the actual MSRP of $329 we end up with $0.042 per million transisors and a free 2 billion @ 12nm on top of that. So in essence, the cost from 14nm to 7nm went down by close to 1/2 plus a free IO die that had 1/2 the transistors of the original we're comparing it to."

By your own admission zen 14nm 1700 was about ($399/4.8billion) .083 per million transistor. So from 14nm to 7nm cost of CPU transistor cost was cut I half. 2700x zen+ came in around ($329/4.8 billion) .068, or somewhere near the middle of 14 and 7... I get that transistor prices aren't dropping 10 fold, but it's not like they are static or going up like you keep saying. Transistor prices for 7nm are still cheaper than they were at 12nm, which are cheaper than they were at 14nm. If they give you a product with the same # of transistors on 7nm it should not cost more than it did on 12nm unless they are just maximizing profits (which is fine, but please stop blaming it soley on transistor cost). If they double the transistor count, then yes, prices may/will indeed go up without profits being the prime motivator.

I'm sure we will see similar prices as people (me included) complained but still opened their wallets up and cards were constantly out of stock. AMD wanted to charge more for their 5700xt but it didn't compare well to the 70 super so they took a step back. Even if they compare well prices we are seeing are here to stay.
I thought the RX 5700 was the safe spot of the blowers and after a flash it pulls 25,700 in FS gpu with that XT bios that compares to the Radeon Seven @ $360 , I know it's not top end but it's about the most I am willing to spend for 1080p ,

Well if the 3080 rumors of 305 W 4352 CUDA cores are true, then it's basically a 2080 Ti clocked to the hilt. You would basically be paying $800 for a 2080 Ti Kingpin card with an HDMI 2.1 port. For a 20% increase in power consumption I would hope it would be at least 20% faster.

Made it sound like Intel going for the last drop of lemon juice .

Didn't I just correct you in another thread where you said the same thing even posted a chart that completely missed your point and actually proved otherwise if you used the right #s?

3700x:
"So, lets just ignore the 2.09B transistors for the IO..... and say 7.8 billion transistors. Using the actual MSRP of $329 we end up with $0.042 per million transisors and a free 2 billion @ 12nm on top of that. So in essence, the cost from 14nm to 7nm went down by close to 1/2 plus a free IO die that had 1/2 the transistors of the original we're comparing it to."

By your own admission zen 14nm 1700 was about ($399/4.8billion) .083 per million transistor. So from 14nm to 7nm cost of CPU transistor cost was cut I half. 2700x zen+ came in around ($329/4.8 billion) .068, or somewhere near the middle of 14 and 7... I get that transistor prices aren't dropping 10 fold, but it's not like they are static or going up like you keep saying. Transistor prices for 7nm are still cheaper than they were at 12nm, which are cheaper than they were at 14nm. If they give you a product with the same # of transistors on 7nm it should not cost more than it did on 12nm unless they are just maximizing profits (which is fine, but please stop blaming it soley on transistor cost). If they double the transistor count, then yes, prices may/will indeed go up without profits being the prime motivator.

A 7nm wafer is more expensive than a 12nm wafer. In the charts I’ve seen the density increase doesn’t quite offset the cost increase so the “same“ chip on 7nm isn’t necessarily cheaper.

Using retail prices to calculate cost per transistor isn’t really a thing. The final retail price has to cover a lot of things incl marketing, opex, r&d etc.

Using retail prices is exactly a thing, it's how much YOU paid for the transistors and it was what he used as his example to prove his point, which was completely incorrect as he had the # of transistors completely wrong for the 3700x making it look worse that it actually was.

That said, I'm not being dense, I know transistor prices aren't dropping as quickly as they did with other jumps in density. If you bought a 14nm chip the die would be much larger than a 7nm chip with the same # of transistors. I would not expect to pay more for the 7nm chip at the same transistor count. This is rarely the case, normally they increase the transistor count to keep the die in a similar range, which means many more transistors. This is what you pay for, the transistor count going up. If transistor costs @ 7nm where that expensive, how did they not charge more for a 3700x ($329) than a 2700x ($329) but went from 4.800 billion transistors to 7.9 billion 7nm transistors + and IO Die with it's own 2+ billion (so right about 10 billion vs 4.8 billion)? If the transistors cost that much more the price would have been $600. They also didn't come down in price like we've seen in the past, so transitor prices did not see the decline that we've seen in the past (it's getting more and more costly with each smaller node) but they aren't more expensive than 12nm per transistor. That was the point I was trying to make. I would fully expect buying a 7nm die @ 200mm^2 to cost more than 14nm or 12nm die of the same size.

I’m still using my 1080 Ti and will probably wait for you guys to test a few of the new cards before I bite. I have $1500 in Amazon rewards sitting in my account and waiting to be used, but that doesn’t mean I’ll go for the top card either. I’ll play it by ear to decide and may even elect to stick with my 1080 Ti another generation.

They'll be prying 1080 Tis from people's cold dead hands at this point. I think it will go down as one of the best card purchases ever in terms of longevity. It's like in days of yore when people were still getting good performance on their Radeon 9700 years after it was released.

I sold my 2080 Super a week back for $50 less than I bought it for (GPU prices have gone up in the UK over the past 6 months. I'm mostly gaming on my laptop with a 2070 now which is fine.

If the 3080 (or Big Navi) performs around a 2080 Ti and it's not a hair over $800, I'll buy. I'm not holding my breath though...

I have a relative with a Million dollar Roll Royce limo it depreciated to 500K in two years ylikes.
100usd a mile is the figure I hear lol

Not selling my v64 it'll be compute and 2nd rig card after giving away my 290x last year. Will wait and see amd or novidya.

My last and current card (sig) has handled everything I've thrown at it. Unless the next game titles I intend to play call for a new card, I'll be running my current card into the ground. For the hilarious prices the new cards call for, I might be giving up pc gaming all together and switch over to consoles. Screw that shit.

Last week sold my Strix 2080 locally, plan on using my backup card which is an RX580 until I see what the new cards look like. I went 2080ti initially with this last round but disappointment with RTX I down graded to a 2080 strix after space invaders was given to me for free. Sad thing I will probably go top card again but upgrade to 4k gaming if I can find a 32inch 4k monitor with HDR. Anyone else selling off before the price dip caused by announcements?
I sold my 1080 Ti and went back to my RX480 that was in my wife's computer. I'll upgrade again in the future, but didn't think I would be gaming much in the next couple months.

I wouldn't say I'm making "moves" as much as I'm just going to buy whatever the next top end card is be it AMD or Nvidia to hold me over for another 2 years. Bought this RTX 2080 Ti on launch day back in 2018 and while yes the $1200 price tag did sting, it did last 2 years at the top of the pack.

I wouldn't say I'm making "moves" as much as I'm just going to buy whatever the next top end card is be it AMD or Nvidia to hold me over for another 2 years. Bought this RTX 2080 Ti on launch day back in 2018 and while yes the $1200 price tag did sting, it did last 2 years at the top of the pack.

Question is are you gonna dump the 2080 Ti and play with some backup GPU for the next 2 months to maximize revenue like some propose? Or just no fs given, let the depreciation come? :D

Back