Which RTX 4090 card are you planning or consider to get?

are you using all 4 8 pin or dedicated 12 pin? that's the only way. also in afterburner make sure you went in to settings and "unlock voltage control" and even though i have an asus card i had to change the dropdown box to "msi extended" to get the full unlock on my card, so you could experiment with those settings. also make sure you have latest release of afterburner??
I believe they are all voltage locked, you may be able to raise the power to 133 percent if you have all the pci-e connectors hooked up but you won't see any performance increase as voltage appears to be the limiting factor for overclocking.

are you using all 4 8 pin or dedicated 12 pin? that's the only way. also in afterburner make sure you went in to settings and "unlock voltage control" and even though i have an asus card i had to change the dropdown box to "msi extended" to get the full unlock on my card, so you could experiment with those settings. also make sure you have latest release of afterburner??

Yes to all of the above. Voltage slider still won't un-grey.

I believe they are all voltage locked, you may be able to raise the power to 133 percent if you have all the pci-e connectors hooked up but you won't see any performance increase as voltage appears to be the limiting factor for overclocking.

No on YouTube reviews they were able to unlock slider and raise voltage. I think it was up to 1.1v.

Yes to all of the above. Voltage slider still won't un-grey.
was just was thinking, not sure which version of the card you have but some of them have a tiny switch on the card that switches between a low noise and an oc mode? also make sure you unlocked voltage monitoring also in afterburner. and double check it's version 4.6.5

also someone on reddit recommended this fix https://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-81916.html

after that i don't know

Ah just installed MSI Afterburner 4.6.5 (Beta2) (Was on final series). Now voltage is unlocked and got a nice bump. Approaching 3100 MHz core at 133% power target and my cards running 60C in Superposition. This Gigabyte Gaming OC is turning out to be a pretty sweet card. And quite quiet too.

OK just to dispel any FUD out there.. these cards (at least my Gigabyte Gaming OC) voltage is NOT locked. Stock slider position the card is 1.05v, slider to max right is 1.1v.

So far in Superposition I've seen max 560w draw with 1.1v and 133% power slider at 3090 MHz core and +1000 memory. I haven't even tweaked the memory yet.

My power limit in MSI Afterburner 4.6.5 (Beta2) is 120% with a 4090 Strix - anyone else seen this? I get the same option if I use ASUS' crappy "GPU Tweak III". The hardware BIOS switch is set to "P Mode" (not "Q Mode").

EDIT: I'm dumb. Default power is 500W. 500W * 1.2 (120%) = 600W which is the max. lol

Ah just installed MSI Afterburner 4.6.5 (Beta2) (Was on final series). Now voltage is unlocked and got a nice bump. Approaching 3100 MHz core at 133% power target and my cards running 60C in Superposition. This Gigabyte Gaming OC is turning out to be a pretty sweet card. And quite quiet too.
Sounds good! Can't wait to get my GB Gaming OC next week.

Case/PSU upgraded and transferred. Ready to go!

RTX 4090 arriving on Tuesday.

New PC.JPG

Dialed in the memory... +1580 which gives me 12,081 MHz. This card rips!

Reactions: DPI
like this
The MSI Gaming Trio and Suprim X are the same boards. Suprim X has 26 Phases and Gaming Trio has 18. Each Phase is 70 AMPS. Once NVFLASH is updated, should be good to go for 600watts.
From my testing. There is plenty of headroom on the cooler. With the fans on auto... which is inaudible over my aio temps in Time spy were 68-72C. The fan curve seems very passive even with the gaming bios.
With fans maxed 50c. Hell I saw idle temps go down to 27C. Haven't seen that since I before my hair fell out.

From Tech Powerup:

1665800642224.png

From Overclock.net
1665800696003.png

Attachments

• 1665800628339.png
    1665800628339.png
    206.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The MSI Gaming Trio and Suprim X are the same boards. Suprim X has 26 Phases and Gaming Trio has 18. Each Phase is 70 AMPS. Once NVFLASH is updated, should be good to go for 600watts.
From my testing. There is plenty of headroom on the cooler. With the fans on auto... which is inaudible over my aio temps in Time spy were 68-72C. The fan curve seems very passive even with the gaming bios.
With fans maxed 50c. Hell I saw idle temps go down to 27C. Haven't seen that since I before my hair fell out.

FYI: Corsair TYPE 3&4 12 Pin is in stock for $19.99 free shipping.

From Tech Powerup:

View attachment 518627
From Overclock.net
View attachment 518628
That’s the wrong Corsair cable

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...0-12VHPWR-Type-4-PSU-Power-Cable/p/CP-8920284

Is why you want. That cable you linked is for 3xxx series.

anyone had a thought go through about ordering from scalpers on amazon and returning it in January? in the mean time we might be able to score regular price. Nice way to fuck em? LMAO. Amazon has pretty much refunded me third party without any issues. They got 0 control over it lmao. I almost thought about getting a free rental that way from em. Amazon returns right now going through Jan 23rd. Thought did go through my mind.

anyone had a thought go through about ordering from scalpers on amazon and returning it in January? in the mean time we might be able to score regular price. Nice way to fuck em? LMAO. Amazon has pretty much refunded me third party without any issues. They got 0 control over it lmao. I almost thought about getting a free rental that way from em. Amazon returns right now going through Jan 23rd. Thought did go through my mind.
No because 3rd party can inflict hefty restock fee, and no amount of kicking and screaming to Amazon chat reps in bangladesh will undo it. Anecdotal "but this one time a chat rep refunded me" don't matter- it would be coming out of Amazon's pocket at that point rather than the scalper's, and dinging your own account's metrics.

And if you leave negative feedback to seller they can get it easily removed if they know the meta.

Just wait another week for firstparty.

Last edited:
Has anyone bought a Zotac 4090? Like this one?

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-4090-trinity

It's the thinnest air-cooled card I've found other than the founders edition, in that it only takes up 3 slots and should only need one free slot in front of the fans in addition to that (so 4 slots total including the empty slot, where most other AIB cards would require 5). I really can't sacrifice more than 4 slots total.

But from the reviews I've seen it supposedly has it's power limit capped much lower than the FE. I'm just starting to get the impression that the FE is going to stay sold out for a long long time...

well nvidia is keeping the top shelf for themselves then limiting other board AIBs to follow a strict guideline so not to compete with the founders Edition im awaiting the Kritical Pads since there isnt a rear copper plate for founds cards only front plate from coolmygpu ill have to makethis 3090FE last another 18+ months if the Scalpapocalypse is just gearing up like it did with the 3090 launch.

No because 3rd party can inflict hefty restock fee, and no amount of kicking and screaming to Amazon chat reps in bangladesh will undo it. Anecdotal "but this one time a chat rep refunded me" don't matter- it would be coming out of Amazon's pocket at that point rather than the scalper's, and dinging your own account's metrics.

And if you leave negative feedback to seller they can get it easily removed if they know the meta.

Just wait another week for firstparty.
Was just a thought wasn’t going to do it but haven’t paid a dime in restocking to 3rd party Amazon has handled it pretty well if I had to return something. 99.9% I buy direct. Amazon has been dropping the MSI version but got as far as add to cart lamo. But it feels like new seller pops up to resell right after lmao. Honestly there was one seller selling for 1999. He sold quick cuz someone that wasn’t too much scalping I guess.

Last edited:
My power limit in MSI Afterburner 4.6.5 (Beta2) is 120% with a 4090 Strix - anyone else seen this? I get the same option if I use ASUS' crappy "GPU Tweak III". The hardware BIOS switch is set to "P Mode" (not "Q Mode").

EDIT: I'm dumb. Default power is 500W. 500W * 1.2 (120%) = 600W which is the max. lol

Let's see some pics of that bad boy! the RoG Strix 4090 OC is one sexy GPU. lel

Has anyone bought a Zotac 4090? Like this one?

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-4090-trinity

It's the thinnest air-cooled card I've found other than the founders edition, in that it only takes up 3 slots and should only need one free slot in front of the fans in addition to that (so 4 slots total including the empty slot, where most other AIB cards would require 5). I really can't sacrifice more than 4 slots total.

But from the reviews I've seen it supposedly has it's power limit capped much lower than the FE. I'm just starting to get the impression that the FE is going to stay sold out for a long long time...
You may have to wait for the scalpers to finish on Amazon before more user reviews are allowed. Outside of forums like this real user reviews may be limited.

Amazon - Scalpers welcome (we get a cut) - reviewers blocked

1665859001001.png

1665859043933.png

I think these resellers have some connection with amazon. Been getting notification on amazon being in stock on msi and zotac yesterday and today. I got as far as adding it to cart after like 20 clicks. soon after the same models have more resellers selling lmao. Zotac was in stock again, amazon wont eve advertise them selling on main page because they are probably future shipments. So under more sellers it will show up but amazon really made it worse for actual buyers where you can't keep hitting add to cart you have to refresh on browser. Feels like everything they do seems to hurt actual buyers since bots always find a turn around and will be faster. Just leave the add to cart button there so one can keep clicking it. I was able to get msi added to my cart on my computer even though on the mobile app the add to cart button stays there. Doesn't seem to work at all on mobile.

IMO - Amazon is purposefully working with scalpers to artificially inflate prices on certain items to boost their own profits. They sell directly to the scalpers then allow the scalpers to relist on their site and profit from those sales too. Double dip. Seriously anti consumer.

IMO - Amazon is purposefully working with scalpers to artificially inflate prices on certain items to boost their own profits. They sell directly to the scalpers then allow the scalpers to relist on their site and profit from those sales too. Double dip. Seriously anti consumer.
I think it’s more bots just doing buy and list…

I got the only one I could from Best Buy on release day. Which was a Gigabyte Gaming OC, I’d prefer a water cooled version, but I think I’d prefer an aftermarket solution as I’m not sure about the MSI tbh. But maybe if I can snag one and return what I got I can do that.

I pick the card up Wednesday from Best Buy. My 800w silver stone strider titanium is questionable, but I ordered a 1200w version of the same PSU just in case (which has a platinum 80plus rating). I figure I’ll return it if I don’t need it, already have that delivered from Amazon

I might post pictures but my cable management probably needs some work. Currently have a gigabyte 1080TI founders edition with an Evga hybrid water cooling kit on it

I also got doom eternal for free from a nvidia give away on launch day, and that runs pretty awesome already on my current setup, but I’ve been far too busy lately to sit down and play much

I’m also assuming it’s going to fit in my case, I have a 360mm rad in front of my Corsair 570x, I think it will fit?

I got the only one I could from Best Buy on release day. Which was a Gigabyte Gaming OC, I’d prefer a water cooled version, but I think I’d prefer an aftermarket solution as I’m not sure about the MSI tbh. But maybe if I can snag one and return what I got I can do that.

I pick the card up Wednesday from Best Buy. My 800w silver stone strider titanium is questionable, but I ordered a 1200w version of the same PSU just in case (which has a platinum 80plus rating). I figure I’ll return it if I don’t need it, already have that delivered from Amazon

I might post pictures but my cable management probably needs some work. Currently have a gigabyte 1080TI founders edition with an Evga hybrid water cooling kit on it

I also got doom eternal for free from a nvidia give away on launch day, and that runs pretty awesome already on my current setup, but I’ve been far too busy lately to sit down and play much

I’m also assuming it’s going to fit in my case, I have a 360mm rad in front of my Corsair 570x, I think it will fit?
Are you putting a 4090 with that 1950x? That will be an insane limitation for a gpu like that. Something like a 12900k or 7950x would be nearly twice as fast in some cpu limited situations.

Yeah, just a GPU upgrade for now so I can push 4K even higher. Not sure it’s worth it to upgrade every CPU generation, although I was going to get a 64 core before they changed the socket for no reason and quadrupled the price :p

Here is a VRM comparison table taken from Overclock.net, which was taken from reddit.
1666019304624.png

Just based on current. It looks like the lower end models are fine for the normal gaming loads. If you end up getting an unlocked bios and push 600 watts. You will get some more heat.

Here is a VRM comparison table taken from Overclock.net, which was taken from reddit.
View attachment 519175

Just based on current. It looks like the lower end models are fine for the normal gaming loads. If you end up getting an unlocked bios and push 600 watts. You will get some more heat.
So what baffles me is, why the hell did MSI gimp the Suprim X cards to only 520W?!?!? If anything, they are perfectly designed for the 600W most cards are unlocked for. If there is an unlocked vBIOS for those MSI cards, I'd snag one in a heartbeat.

So what baffles me is, why the hell did MSI gimp the Suprim X cards to only 520W?!?!? If anything, they are perfectly designed for the 600W most cards are unlocked for. If there is an unlocked vBIOS for those MSI cards, I'd snag one in a heartbeat.
Maybe they tested and didn't see scaling above 520watts or they did it for marketing. Either way I would rather have it be my decision on where to stop.
1820amps at 1-1.1 volts is huge though.

I'm a bit concerned now though. I am listening to buildzoid go over the palit and he is shitting all over it like it can go overcurrent if you get a unlocked bios later on.
It has the NCP302150, My Trio has the NCP303151 which is a bit more efficient, but puts it closer to the danger zone.

Back