what is your favorite first person shooter and why

List what your favorite first person shooter is and why

I'm a huge fan of counter-strike source. I started back in 2002 when I was a junior in high school. Initially I would stay up till all hours playing 1.6 non stop (may have been 1.3 back then) After a few years of playing in public's I got into the competitive scene. From 2004-2011 I've been playing strictly competitive. Here is why I love the game

-Its free once purchased
-great community
-very competitive
-pretty good graphics
-ability to work as a team
-esea client is a great deterrent for cheaters
-lan tournaments (going to gxl this weekend)

overall I think its a great game and helped me get through college / become interested in building rigs for gaming / learning about hardware.

My all time favorite is Natural Selection (half life 1 mod). I played competitively for a few years. I started a team and won CAL-omega season 6. Natural Selection 2 is coming out soon on Steam... I bought the game, but I can't play the alpha/beta because my computer can't really handle the graphics :(

CS:S. Still the best multi-player fps out there.

Runner up is Metroid Prime.

hmm. Source I spose is what I play the most, but favorite MP game would be Empires Mod. Empires Mod is RTS/FPS similar to battlefield mixed with C&C.

Why? it's the most rewarding Teamplay game. It's very demanding. Most any team in other games can be carried by a third of the team. In Empires Mod every member has to work together to win. Always. No exceptions. It's tough game and theres no room for pubstars so theres not much draw.

Single player I feel like there's a game I liked better but all I can think of is HL2. Not gonna bother explaining everyone knows why.

Without a doubt the first Half-Life. The immersion factor at the time was off the charts. The story telling was excellent and the level mapping was amazing.

three way tie between Halo, Half-Life and Half-Life 2. The story, atmosphere, gameplay, gunplay is nothing short of superb in these games.

Unreal Tournament for multiplayer, Half-Life for single player.
Runner up is Metroid Prime.
I don't consider Metroid Prime to be an FPS. It's a Metroid game with a first-person perspective. Otherwise, it would probably be at the top of my list.

Goldeneye - because it's the only FPS I really was good at - and because it's awesome beyond needing an explanation.

Quake3 / Quakelive by a long shot (for multiplayer at least). It is still the perfect DM and 1v1 game. It is so simple yet so complex at the same time. I really wish there were more games that even came close. Screw guns and slow movement, give me strafe jumping and a rocket launcher any day :)

for singleplayer, halfife 2

unreal tournament 2004.

first time i played ut2k3 it was a DM on antalus, i didnt get a single kill but man, i was hooked like heroin. I gradually started playing more and more, getting better and better and then moved onto 2k4 when it came out. I joined a few clans and was VERY active in the Australasian UT scene. I finished playing when the game died. The multiplayer was awesome, I loved clan games. CTF and TDM were my favourites, never got into duelling.
I was drawn to the fast paced, frenetic action. I loved the game, its a pity that WoW killed it here in NZ.

Probably Doom2 and Duke Nukem. Great coop experiences with those back in the day.

More recently, it was Zombie Panic Source (mod) for a while. Just a lot of fun.

They Hunger trilogy was a Half Life 1 mod and is still my favorite game. there was going to be a new one based on the Half Life 2 Source engine but it was abandoned even though it was close to finished.

Deus-Ex, the storyline, character development, and the many ways to get through an area is what really made the game shine in my eyes.

CS:S, i have played shooters over the years and I still to this day will install CS:S and play once in a while, it's as timeless as the original, just updated graphics

it's actually much harder to be good at than todays shooters....

For multiplayer, my faves are (in no order): CS, CSS, 007 GoldenEye, Halo, and CoD4.

For single player: HL, HL2, Halo, CoD4, and possibly Portal.

Probably forgetting some, but those stand out to me.

I think overall I really loved HL2 and CoD4. I feel they both introduced such awesome 'moments' that every single game tries to copy now. I still remember firing up HL2 the first time and being a tiny bit bored, and all of a sudden you hear some techno music fading in, and then the shit hits the fan. Even in CoD4, the opening 15-20 minutes (the boat and the ride through town) grabbed me and I absolutely loved the rest.

FEAR. I never been more immersed into a FPS. Almost falling off my chair during one of the scary parts.

BFBC2 for multiplayer. Love the way it looks. The sound, and the large maps.

FarCry. That was the first time i've seen AI squads that actually think tactically. I've been experimenting with programming AI's at the time so i had an idea of the logic flow from observing them. Rather than narrow corridors and putting a bunch of single enemies together, the far cry ones were in an open area and while they had decent AI's individually, they actually had a hierarchy on top of that.

When i was experiementing, the AI logics i've made were good, but coordinating between them over complex areas on top of their own calculations was taxing on the CPU, making only one of them a tactical oriented AI and the rest just regular grunts to save on CPU was clever. You only needed one AI to figure out how to surround the player and just direct the rest on where to go and adjust their decision weights.

Aside from that, it was the second game i've played that actually had long range and precision combat as the norm in an action FPS (The first was Chrome)

far cry....great graphics at the time, beautiful scenery while mowing down tridgens, and a great multiplayer IMO. I spent a lot of time driving the jeep to the top of the mountain to get to the hang glider.

I think Quake remains the best and most skill dependent arena shooter. Time all weapons and all power ups down to a second, and know where to kill someone to get a good respawn rapage, sign me the fuck up.

I like Quake 1 (World) better than the rest because the movement is more fast and the weapons far more offensive. Q1 it's all rox and ltg, all the rest can go home Plus the weapon switch is fast, nearly instant. Kill someone, pick up the weapons they need will getting to their spawn in under 4 seconds, rox at their feet, wall pin them with LTG, turn around do it again. It's good.

Quake 2, while good, was a bit too much about rail, minigun, and nades at mid to high level. Far to defensive and lacked the rapage factor of Q1, it's not bad, and I fucking love DM The Edge to death, great map, I just prefer a more offensive game.

Quake 3, great, but still outside of CMPA PRO mod, is way to defensive and most people play OSP which is still highly rail based. Plus no map ever hit home with me, dm 6 is great, and well, umm, I don't like most of the others. Plus LTG doesn't have the push it used to, so pin to death doesn't work, and weapon swap is way to slow for my tastes. I'd like it more of movement was sped up, rail damage was dropped, and rox were faster. I still love it, but it ain't Quake World.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl - the survivalism, the atmosphere, the immersion.

Painkiller - no bullshit or filler, just straight action.

Quake - straight action in a dark setting, creative and memorable monsters, great sound design, great music...and no Strogg.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 PC for multiplayer - when everything works, there is nothing better. I'd even say it's better than BF2 mainly due to the bullet spread in BF2 being fucking terrible.

Oh man, I completely forgot the whole Serious Sam series. Amazing games, and just full of completely mindless fun. :)

Oh man, I completely forgot the whole Serious Sam series. Amazing games, and just full of completely mindless fun. :)

damm it, off to steam to buy SS now, I hate you people

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl - the survivalism, the atmosphere, the immersion.

Painkiller - no bullshit or filler, just straight action.

Quake - straight action in a dark setting, creative and memorable monsters, great sound design, great music...and no Strogg.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 PC for multiplayer - when everything works, there is nothing better. I'd even say it's better than BF2 mainly due to the bullet spread in BF2 being fucking terrible.

I loved the bullet spread in BF2 and hated it in BC2. Way too forgiving in BC2. We quite possibly just have different preferences, but when you call it terrible I have to defend it.

Anyways, CSS and BF2 for multiplayers, and Stalker: SoC for a single player.

Wolfenstein 3D. I grew up with that game it is still my all time favorite. I'm currently mashing that and HL: Opposing Force together in the HL2 engine. It's going great so far.

Next to that would be: HL series, STALKER, FEAR, Condemned Criminal Origins, and the first Halo. All immersive games, I love getting lost in game worlds.

Multiplayer: Unreal Tournament 2004. Onslaught Mode was some of the best multiplayer I've ever experienced.

Single Player: Half-Life 2 and its episodes.

Honorable mention goes to BioShock, which would be my favorite game of the bunch but isn't a "pure" FPS game.

unreal tournament 2004.

first time i played ut2k3 it was a DM on antalus, i didnt get a single kill but man, i was hooked like heroin. I gradually started playing more and more, getting better and better and then moved onto 2k4 when it came out. I joined a few clans and was VERY active in the Australasian UT scene. I finished playing when the game died. The multiplayer was awesome, I loved clan games. CTF and TDM were my favourites, never got into duelling.
I was drawn to the fast paced, frenetic action. I loved the game, its a pity that WoW killed it here in NZ.

Agreed. I was very competitive into the 1v1 UT2k4 scene. I used to be really really good....then i started playing WoW =( lately I dont play any games though.

STALKER:SoC. It revitalized my interest in shooters,I had grown weary of the same old run 'n gun,linear corridor shooters. STALKER's open world,non-linear gameplay was a breath of fresh air.I find myself drawn back to the Zone every time a new mod is released.

Battlefield 1942

It took FPS to a new level.

- VEHICLES
- huge maps

It took gaming to the next level. FPS have been stagnant if not regressed since.

Looking forward to Red Orchestra 2 and "hopefully" Battlefield 3.

Quake 3, great, but still outside of CMPA PRO mod, is way to defensive and most people play OSP which is still highly rail based. Plus no map ever hit home with me, dm 6 is great, and well, umm, I don't like most of the others. Plus LTG doesn't have the push it used to, so pin to death doesn't work, and weapon swap is way to slow for my tastes. I'd like it more of movement was sped up, rail damage was dropped, and rox were faster. I still love it, but it ain't Quake World.

Mouse with extra buttons. mouse 4 = railgun. Mouse 5 = rocket launcher.

Movement speed = strafe jumping. Or grapling gun mod enabled servers.

Rail damage should be 1 hit 1 kill. otherwise twich shooting would be pointless. Perhaps longer loads between shots.

Biggest annoyance is underpowered shotgun (close combat isn't as good as 2) and overpowered lightning gun (in quakelive).

I always prefered the third party maps. Other than dreadworks. The ones from team arena were too big and empty therefore empty/sniping types.

I've always hated duels. Too boring running around for ages collecting with 5 seconds of action.

Still preferr Q3a to many of the "serious" modern games. It just always felt silly OTT and fun. UT was it's lesser cousin

STALKER:SoC. It revitalized my interest in shooters,I had grown weary of the same old run 'n gun,linear corridor shooters. STALKER's open world,non-linear gameplay was a breath of fresh air.I find myself drawn back to the Zone every time a new mod is released.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: SoC is great when there are mods applied. Without the mods, much of the game is unplayable. I had some problems with the game where it'd just enter an infinite loop. Mods fixed that issue though.

Half Life 2 for single player. The only multiplayer FPS game I really got into was Unreal Tournament back in its heyday.

Back