what is your favorite first person shooter and why

Tribes.

Because it was so far ahead of its time. So fast. Great team work, and a rabid community. It is still the fastest FPS ever.

dues ex 1

amazing gameplay, amazing story, its a game done so well that many have tired to copy it but have not got close even to this day

Do people still play quake 3 or is it all quake live now?

There are still a few RA3 servers up, no idea about vanilla Quake 3...

Just checked. On quake IIIa right now there are 2221 servers (though a load of them are empty, but it was always like that). I didn't go through too many, but there are still people playing vanilla, and in total, perhaps a few hundred playing.

RTCW:ET

Would be playing it now if i could get it to work on my computer.

Its been said before but Unreal Tournament 99, nothing gets better than this.
Everyone is there to have a good time, no dumbasses that ive seen. Some of the best sniping maps ive ever seen. And the servers are still goin. Many drunk nights playing this game. The best 10 bucks ive ever spent i think, and that was hmm years ago and i still play...

I already voted for Quake 3 as my favorite multiplayer game, but I gotta add Tribes 1 up there. It's completely different gameplay, and the netcode was superb. I was able to play well on a dialup and the freedom of movement was such a cool experience at the time. I have high hopes for a resurrection of the franchise.

System Shock 2 would be my 2nd favorite single player game since it did such a good job of immersing me in the experience, and scared the hell out of me.

UT99 takes first overall for me. Great gameplay, great community support.

I've played a lot of UT2k3 and 2k4, and always felt like they were missing something from the original UT. UT3 was much closer to having that something back, but it still can't quite compare.

Honorable mentions:
Deus Ex - For being one of the first, if not the first outright, FPS/RPG that actually worked (and kicked ass, at that!).
F.E.A.R. - First time I was ever bowled over by the "humanity" of enemy AI.
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division - Decent shooter, decent story, fun way to combine on-foot action with very FPS-feeling giant robot ass kicking.

Quake III Arena - Fast paced, and I still play it today. Any game that has that much re-play value is a winner in my book.

SoF II is another one, and some of the early UT series.

Doom2 because it was one of the first in the genre I played and it completely sucked me in with its dark atmosphere. Wolf3D did not have the same affect on me at all and I thought it was actually a silly time waster of a game.

Single-player is Duke Nukem 3D or Call of Duty 2(depending on what kind of mood I'm in). Multi-player is a tie between UT99 and Battlefield 1942(I spent way too much time in school playing them).

Really? Most people I run into while I had the game (at least on XBL) were complete jerkasses.

Confused me a little bit too. BlackOps holds the distinction of being the only shooter I've ever bought where I want a refund, and will never again buy a Call of Duty game because of it.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

just because it's so goddamned awesome

I would second this. Love the game because it's challenging, compared to other FPS. And because it's highly modable. This series is good enough to play through on vanilla. But when you replay with in some mods that increase the difficulty, or alter the gameplay in some way, it never gets old. This game is absolutely the most immersive fps I've ever played. Also, the stalker series is one of the few now days that is primarily developed for the PC market. They aren't porting some watered down console yuppie crap here. DEATH TO CONSOLES!!!

My fave MP FPS would be TF2. Over 1200 hours down in that game so far.

Half Life was in a world of its own when it came out
Serious Sam SE was the game that taught me how to aim in a FPS, loved the hell out of that game
Original Painkiller was and still is IMO one of the all time best ever FPS
FEAR was really cool when it came out. Better level design compared to the typical corridors
STALKER as everyone says, in a world of its own. Great atmosphere, the game is almost a RPG
Borderlands I love for the ability to grind. Lots of mindless shooting fun, head popping,

Though I don't play it anymore, I have to say when I did, TF2 was some of the most fun I've had.

Otherwise, I'll put in a vote for COD4 or BFBC2. I have a feeling BF3 will take the #1 spot (I missed the boat on BF2/2142).

Tribes.

Because it was so far ahead of its time. So fast. Great team work, and a rabid community. It is still the fastest FPS ever.

Wasnt Doom faster?

Anyway, UT2004 was my favorite, great new game modes, everything was just perfect. Plus it was in that college age time where you have a lot more time to dick around with games.

cs_siege man that was good times. I also played cs_docks to death but that was another buggy one. Wish they had brought more classic maps up to spec on CS:S by default instead of relying on custom makers to do it.

By pure playing time alone I think I'd either have to give Q3 the nod as my favorite, just slightly more than CS. I do have fonder memories of Q3 since I was actually decent at it. It's been too long since I've jumped on a server and fragged. Sooo many hours spent playing instagib and 3WCTF. Now I know what I'm doing tonight...

Oh man you guys are bringing up great memories. Siege was a favorite along with arabstreets and that one VIP map that escapes me. I think you were on a boat and had to guard him up to the helicopter.

Anyways for my favorite FPS, which i'm not sure counts, is Thief. I loved the immersion of Thief and the spectacular AI for the time just made it that much more amazing. Garrett just had a cool personality as well. If Thief doesn't count then I would have to probably say Half-Life and even some of it's expansions like Opposing Force. Great games all around with a good story, sound effects, mild humor and sweet weapons.

I just installed Thief:The Dark Age last month. I bought it from GG for cheap and it wouldn't run on Win7 so installed it to XP and it still wouldn't run. Did some research and found out it needed Indeo5 codecs ionstalled to get up and running. Plays fine now.

I see no one has mentioned Heretic, sacrilege.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZQHOAXnITA

Counter Strike: Source is still my favorite multiplayer FPS by far. Nothing can touch it terms of game play. It's perfect.

Single player would be Half Life 2. Just played it through again for the 5th time but this time I installed fake factory's cinematic mod and it brought the graphics right up to date.

Amazing game all around.

CoD:UO
Simple, classic and nostalgic. Hours spent on this game.
Was going to say CS:S but it got boring after 1000 hours..

Though that said, these days the only FPS i play is CoD Black Ops really.

Battlefield 1942

It took FPS to a new level.

- VEHICLES
- huge maps

It took gaming to the next level. FPS have been stagnant if not regressed since.

QFT. I miss this game more than any other I think. With Q3 coming in a close second.

System Shock 2 would be my 2nd favorite single player game since it did such a good job of immersing me in the experience, and scared the hell out of me.

I forgot to mention SS2.

SS2 co-op is very fun. With the patches that allow Windows 7 (even x64) to play the game, everyone should give it a shot.

Medal of Honor Allied Assault

Reason: Sentimental but this was the game I got reared on to become a full fledged PC gamer. To this day, I've never put more hours online into any game than I did this one. I still miss it. Everything just came together and felt "just right" in this game and I just never got bored of it and could never get enough of it.

I wonder if people are still playing it? I ought to find out.

I've played so many first person shooters, that it's hard to pick a favorite. But, I'd have to say I really enjoyed Far Cry 2. :D

When first starting Far Cry 2, I expected to hate it due to the negative reviews and hype it received. But no; I found myself really enjoying the driving and intense firefights the game offered. I loved the feel of the many different guns, the various strategies you could take to complete the admittedly repetitive missions, and especially traveling by boat down the long dangerous rivers. It's not perfect, but I had loads of fun in that game. The end part did suck, though...

Just checked. On quake IIIa right now there are 2221 servers (though a load of them are empty, but it was always like that). I didn't go through too many, but there are still people playing vanilla, and in total, perhaps a few hundred playing.

Interesting. Quite a good number for such an old game.

I've played so many first person shooters, that it's hard to pick a favorite. But, I'd have to say I really enjoyed Far Cry 2. :D

When first starting Far Cry 2, I expected to hate it due to the negative reviews and hype it received. But no; I found myself really enjoying the driving and intense firefights the game offered. I loved the feel of the many different guns, the various strategies you could take to complete the admittedly repetitive missions, and especially traveling by boat down the long dangerous rivers. It's not perfect, but I had loads of fun in that game. The end part did suck, though...

Your favorite FPS is one of the biggest letdowns of the modern era. I feel for you. I'm guessing you haven't been exposed to a whole lot.

Your favorite FPS is one of the biggest letdowns of the modern era. I feel for you. I'm guessing you haven't been exposed to a whole lot.

I've played most FPS games from Wolfenstein 3D through Metro 2033, and still really liked Far Cry 2... Maybe because I like underdogs, or maybe because I played it long after it was first released and expected it suck more than it did. I feel dirty, but I missed the game when it was over!

I'm not at all ashamed to admit that not matter what I play for any period of time, I always come back to Counter-Strike.

Unreal
NOLF2
Half-Life
deus ex
system shock 2
undying
far cry
crysis
stalker
XIII
project snow blind

single player hands down HL2 - the game was completely fantastic and if I was to complain I would complain about too much driving. and a lack of episode 3.
multiplayer CS1.5 a friend and I ran a server for awhile where we would get drunk and sing Tenacious D all the time while playing 24/7 militia. GoldenEye/Perfect Dark - amazing fun for the time it was out.
I really like BFBC2 as well.. It's the most current fav of the time. don't know if it will stand the test of time or not yet though...

I've played most FPS games from Wolfenstein 3D through Metro 2033, and still really liked Far Cry 2... Maybe because I like underdogs, or maybe because I played it long after it was first released and expected it suck more than it did. I feel dirty, but I missed the game when it was over!

That bolded item probably went some ways for you. I was one of the suckers that bought the game on day one based off TONS of hypes, TONS of (probably paid for) glowing reviews...damn, don't even get me started.

I absolutely despised FC2 despite how gorgeous it was but hey, more power to you. I wish I'd liked the game as much as you did. :)

- F.E.A.R. 1 & 2 - I enjoy both for the horror & supernatural speed of gameplay.
- Deus Ex - customization & multiple paths
- BioShock 1 & 2- the gameplay was a blast & the story/locations felt alive to me. Looking forward to Infinite a lot.
- Half-Life 1 & 2 - gameplay & story was quite fun
- STALKER series - all of them were very open & the story was deep. I really enjoyed all 3.
- Far Cry - I loved the depth of the game for making the locations feel very big & vibrant
- Crysis 2 - I'm not sure why but the gameplay had more to it than the first Crysis.

Wasnt Doom faster?

Anyway, UT2004 was my favorite, great new game modes, everything was just perfect. Plus it was in that college age time where you have a lot more time to dick around with games.

Not even a chance. Ever disc jumped while skiing? Its like a bazillion miles an hour.

Take a minutes to watch some of this video. Flag captures in 5 seconds from one side of the map to the other on SH. This is why in my opinion it had the biggest learning curve of any game, the speed. And scripting, it was also HUGE. A newbie cant just join in and be any help at all to a veteran server. If you take more than a second on a inventory, you will get shot off, or probably just kicked from the server. I joined a BC2 server for the first time last month, and racked up some kills and helped out the team. Same for Black Ops. (I was deployed and got back recently, couldnt play till now) Because most FPS' are basically the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUVU9fWNAKs

To someone who has never played the game, this wont make much sense. And the graphics suck (3dfx native!), but I cant help but love it.

Interesting. Quite a good number for such an old game.

I think it's because it was one of the first "competitive" games that had mass internet following, and quake 3a is the most simple to conect with others, as it has a modern multiplayer interface, and quake 4 was never as popular (or still widely availible). It still is used for tournements too.

I like quakelive, but its kind of limited to vanilla content and standard skins etc.

Back