what is your favorite first person shooter and why

Probably Quake 1 is my favorite for both single player and multiplayer. It has a solid single player experience, extremely fun to play and even scary sometimes. And the multiplayer was fun too!

For story and immersion in single player: Half Life 1, AvP 2, FEAR 1 (there are others, but these are in my top list)
For fun factor: Duke Nukem 3D, Serious Sam
For multiplayer and team based gameplay: Enemy Territory and ET: Quake Wars

Since the OP said FPS and there were still people saying "Portal", I'll have to break the rules too and say "TES Morrowind" as the best single player experience ever, the best story line, the best pacing, the best immersion, the best music score and the best graphics at the time, even if it wasn't strictly a FPS.

I guess I would have to say Turok: Dinosaur Hunter on the N64. No other FPS drew me in and totally engaged me like the first Turok did. It was my first ever video game so that has a lot to do with it, but I also thoroughly enjoyed the primitive environments and the music.

Another great one was the original Unreal Tournament. HEAD SHOT! UNSTOPPABLE!! RAMPAGE!! that voice actor was fantastic, who was he?

PC MP original UT // PC Single player Half Life 2 (first time I saw city 17 I thought it was the most realistic thing ever)

Console MP Halo 1 with 4 tv's + router or online with gamespy client/ console single player Area 51 it has David Duchovny... so win.

ps vampire masquerade gets put in here. idk why but it does.

For single player, the original HL just can't be beat.

For multiplayer it's between a couple games, but Team Fortress Classic was the one I spent by far the most time with. Between TFC and Soldier of Fortune 2, I pretty much burnt myself out on MP back in 2004. I haven't been able to get back into MP gaming since.

Man what a tough question.

Bioshock pops immediately into my mind because the story was so immersive, the game was really fun and the environment absolutely fascinating.. it even ousted the Half Life series which I love. I bought the original HL on opening day based on a recommendation of Boot magazine and was blown away.

But

I’ve played the original Counter Strike more than any other game ever. I was late to the game so to speak and didn’t start playing it until around 2000 but I played the shit out of that game only quitting in 2005-6 when I met my future wife and didn’t have the time anymore. It’s the only FPS I’ve ever been a member of a clan, when I was unemployed for 7 months I’d play for 7-8-9-10+ hours a day.. never played CS-S thou.

I don't exactly remember which beta version it was, but my favorite addition to the original CS by far was the APC in the one canyon map (assault?). That thing was bugged as hell. I remember if you drove it in certain places it would fall through the ground and then the folks in it would be stuck for the rest of the round effectively as turrets. Hilarious. Naturally the players who only care about their score did not find it nearly as funny.

I don't exactly remember which beta version it was, but my favorite addition to the original CS by far was the APC in the one canyon map (assault?). That thing was bugged as hell. I remember if you drove it in certain places it would fall through the ground and then the folks in it would be stuck for the rest of the round effectively as turrets. Hilarious. Naturally the players who only care about their score did not find it nearly as funny.

cs_siege man that was good times. I also played cs_docks to death but that was another buggy one. Wish they had brought more classic maps up to spec on CS:S by default instead of relying on custom makers to do it.

By pure playing time alone I think I'd either have to give Q3 the nod as my favorite, just slightly more than CS. I do have fonder memories of Q3 since I was actually decent at it. It's been too long since I've jumped on a server and fragged. Sooo many hours spent playing instagib and 3WCTF. Now I know what I'm doing tonight...

I've been playing FPS' since Wolf 3D on my old 486. My #1 will always be the original Doom. But of the current day ones, Chronicles of Riddick for it's awesome characterization and complete 360 from the "silent protagonist" thing made popular by Gordon Freeman. And right next to it would be Crysis for the incredible openness and "predator" feel. How fun is it to just run around invisible, grab koreans by the neck and toss them off of cliffs. Crysis was fun as hell, haters be damned. Even beyond the graphics, the game was just fun.

The Playstation version of Final Doom. Doom was the first fps I ever played and became instantly addicted playing for hours on end for months on end. Final Doom was announced and it was the first and only game I've ever bought on the day it was released.

The thing that made it better than Doom was the atmosphere with night scenes in general. For some reason the levels with a starry night sky were just cool as shit to me and Id generally play them over before going to the next one.

Even after 15 years, I still play either Doom or Final Doom at least a couple times a month.

I like the PS1 version better than the PC version because the sound effects were better and the music was awesome and made the game.

UT2004. The pinnacle of arena shooter evolution. I also really liked Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. This is really the game that replaced UT for me.

Half Life 1
Quake 2
Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

I love the original Half Life, it had good graphics and a good storyline back in the day. Same with Quake 2 and COD4, I especially loved the stealth missions in COD4 and finally moved away from WW2.

UT99.

Everything felt right.

Damn right. I loved UT GOTY.

The "hey I'm in a massive bedroom/bathroom/kitchen/billard room/back yard" maps rocked.

So did the modded maps where you had a special redeemer gun that let you actually FLY around the map, and your rocket....plane could shoot rockets.

Now I'm sad....because I suddenly remember how shitty BF2, BFBC2, CS:S, UT3, COD and other recent multiplayer FPSes are by comparison.

/me raises a glass to the good old days.

Favorite of all time? Tough decision.. Heres some of my favorites from over the years.
-The original Team Fortress.
-Half Life 1
-BF2 (still up there for me)
-Project Reality (probably my current favorite)
-Ghost Recon (screw everything about "advanced warfighter", give me the original and the expansions).
-Swat 4. Too bad that cheaters ruined a really good multiplayer.
-Raven Shield
-Rise of the Triad
-Heritic
-Hexen
-Quake
-Quake 3
-Goldeneye on the 64
-Perfect Dark on the 64
-SourceForts (one of the most under-rated HL2 mods ever).
-Insurgency (another amazing HL2 mod).

Hard to put them in any order. All were amazing for their time.

MOHAA. This is the game that laid out the foundation for my FPS skills. Everything I learned from this game, I brought to other FPS.

V2 Rocket on OBJ match up with the Springfield's or Kar98's scoped. Fun times man, fun times, intense too.

Favorite of all time? Tough decision.. Heres some of my favorites from over the years.
-The original Team Fortress.
-Half Life 1
-BF2 (still up there for me)
-Project Reality (probably my current favorite)
-Ghost Recon (screw everything about "advanced warfighter", give me the original and the expansions).
-Swat 4. Too bad that cheaters ruined a really good multiplayer.
-Raven Shield
-Rise of the Triad
-Heritic
-Hexen
-Quake
-Quake 3
-Goldeneye on the 64
-Perfect Dark on the 64
-SourceForts (one of the most under-rated HL2 mods ever).
-Insurgency (another amazing HL2 mod).

Hard to put them in any order. All were amazing for their time.

Damn I forgot about Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six RS.

Unreal Tournament (aka UT99)

IMO the best FPS ever made.

Command and Conquer Renegade (though technically its more of a third person shooter since the vehicles are always third person and I usually stay in third person when on foot (but you can do first person when on foot)). It never became big like Quake or Unreal but I always liked it. I liked the way the vehicles worked in the game and how you could use different mixes of attacks to attack the enemy base. I like how its just one base vs another base and not a bunch of points you hold. Just a good arcade style shooter that you can jump into whenever and screw around or get some people to work together and dominate.

Game came out over 9 years ago but I still play it online I( just finished playing it for about 2 hours).

My favourites? Blood 1 and 2 - due to lots of black humor and great main hero... and the weapons - pitchfork and such

Also C&C Renegade - also due to the main hero. His classic lines, like "Me against ship full of NOD? Seems unfair, I think I'll shoot lefthanded" or "I don't have conflict of interests. I only have interest in conflict" were really great.

Last shooter I like is ALiens vs Predator 2 - great atmosphere of fear (when in marine campaign)... much more better then modern AvP game

Deus Ex - Storyline, multiple ways to approach objectives
UT99 - IMO it shits all over Quake 3
DOOM 1&2 - broke my cherry with FPS's (actually was Wolf, but not nearly as much)
Farcry - Big levels. Could spend hours just doing dumb shit with boats and vehicles. Great visuals for it's time.
F.E.A.R. - Never played a game before with a scare factor.
Crysis 1 - Up until the alien part (was garbage after that). I just like games where I can take things at my own pace. Rush in if I want, snipe, use a vehicle, etc..

if you want way old.
Delta Force JUST GREAT FUN
AA 2 You can't be a rambo..and team play was a blast

newer
COD4 Great multi player fun...good weapons and overall one of the best

new
BC2 same as cod4

Bf2 if they would quit the invincible planes and a better hit box.

Man, that's a tough one. It'd probably be a toss up between Medal of Honor: Allied Assault or Call of Duty 4.

MoH: AA for it's fantastic gameplay, "Tug of War" online mode, and scale.

CoD 4 for redefining the entire shooting genre (in a good way).

UT99 would be a close third.

Doom 2, got me into level creation.

UT99, low gravity + instagib mode.

More recently probably TF2 for simple jump in and enjoy.

Partial to Gears Co-op as well.

Quake, because it was so different and amazing. GLQuake only made it better.

After that, Half-Life and HL2 are favorites for forever.

Single Player: Half-Life

For me, this game was so far ahead of it's time, I loved every scripted moment and it's one of the few games that I replay every now and then without getting bored.

Multiplayer: Quake 3 + Rocket Arena 3 mod

I think RA3 provides the most hardcore, skill based multiplay. Everyone starts out equally with max weapons/armor, it becomes all about map knowledge and player skill that seperates the winners from the losers. Quake 3 mechanics are superb and the graphics still hold up rather well.

Do people still play quake 3 or is it all quake live now?

Warsow
Quake 3
UrbanTerror

UrbanTerror because no more Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Enemy Territory.

Story-wise, Half life. Hands down playing it the first time getting it as a Christmas present, completely brought shooters to a whole new level.

Gameplay wise, Soldier of fortune I/II. I loved the shooting in this game, the shooting was fun, the 2nd one even brought it up higher. I'm still amazed that with games these days, no fps sti ll has as decent location-based gore as SOF.

Back