What do you use your tablet for?

In theory I would actually like to get one to use as a input device for a PC. Is this even possible? If not anything in the works?

I've been told that a LOT, but I'm still somehow not sold on them, lol. Mostly because I know color eink displays capable of playing 24fps video exist (just not in production scale), but maybe cause I want a tablet, even if I never use it as such :(

as long as youre reading inside or at least not in direct sunlight, a nice lcd screen is fine. its only when youre reading out in the sun that eink really comes through. being in hawaii, i do most of my reading outdoors in the sun, so i had to have an eink reader, got a nook simple touch.

i also got an htc flyer about a week ago. seems like a very capable device. i wish i could put my sim card in it and use it on my tmobile plan with 30mb i get free every month and never use, but whatever. the cdma model costs a lot more and wasnt worth it. i got a 64gb microSD card to go along with it, so i basically keep my entire music collection and all of my documents on it. works as a backup for the information and i can always access it on the go. i like that it also has a gps receiver as well. the google maps app and spoken directions work great.

i started this thread a while back wondering why people spend as much money as they do on tablets. while i cant say i have done anything worth a $400+ price tag with my nook color, touchpad, entourage edge, or my new flyer, i can say that for <$250, i can see a tablet being a fun, limited-usefulness device for media consumption, email, web surfing, and maybe light work. i got my flyer for $180 after 2-year warranty, tax, and shipping. i dont regret it at all so far like i did my other tablets. i think the main thing is to find one with as many features as possible (hence the popularity of the ipad) because if you skimp and get one without a camera (kindle fire), very limited app store (touchpad or playbook) or a bad screen (many many tablets) then you will regret the purchase later when you want that feature.

i started this thread a while back wondering why people spend as much money as they do on tablets. while i cant say i have done anything worth a $400+ price tag with my nook color, touchpad, entourage edge, or my new flyer, i can say that for <$250, i can see a tablet being a fun, limited-usefulness device for media consumption, email, web surfing, and maybe light work.

Agreed about the second sentence with my nook color (got as gift anyways so price didn't affect me). I would pay more if I could replace my MBA with a tablet but until that day comes I don't think I'd be buying a tablet though it is tempting haha

Last edited:
Reading books, browsing net, also playing games and watching movies, when commuting. At home I prefer using it for internet, then turning on computer - faster, easier, better experience.

In theory I would actually like to get one to use as a input device for a PC. Is this even possible? If not anything in the works?

Yeah, I've used programs like that. Gmote is one I used on my Android devices, and I haven't found one I like yet for my iPad.

I got one of the new iPads recently. Been taking advantage of the nice screen to do reading of books and comics (they upgraded the res. to match the HD, looks incredible). Play a few games, do some financial stuff, lot of emails, facetime, flipboard, etc.

Basic things.

iPad - games and answering "Do you remember what movie [actor on TV] was in?" in the living room. I'm surprised how much it gets used, but it's more convenient than running to one of the offices to look something up on a PC.

Kindle (does it count?) - read, read, read. E-ink is nearly as good as paper.

I can read my email while having breakfast with my kids in the morning - that's probably the number one reason I got a tablet - just the portability of it (around the house, at least).

They're also a godsend for long road trips - whether I'm reading a book or the kids are playing a game - it's a great distraction.

I bought the new iPad and have found myself using it a lot more than my MacBook Pro. Sure there are somethings that I can only do on my computer (music library, work applications, etc..) but for the majority, I can use my iPad. The screen is fantastic and I have definitely been spoiled from it. Plus, I enjoy using it to read books, magazines, as well as stream content to the Apple TV. I don't have the time to game as much on the PC as I used to, so it hasn't been too much of a hassle. Another great thing is the 4G in my area. Almost just as fast as my apartment's Internet and I can use it anywhere. I love using my iPad for basic tasks and it excells at performing them.

I use my iPad to read books and check email.

I also use it for app development. Over the next few years, I think we'll start to see a lot more productivity oriented software becoming available that makes tablets less of a hassle to use for anything other than loafing around.

i started this thread a while back wondering why people spend as much money as they do on tablets. while i cant say i have done anything worth a $400+ price tag with my nook color, touchpad, entourage edge, or my new flyer, i can say that for <$250, i can see a tablet being a fun, limited-usefulness device for media consumption, email, web surfing, and maybe light work. i got my flyer for $180 after 2-year warranty, tax, and shipping. i dont regret it at all so far like i did my other tablets. i think the main thing is to find one with as many features as possible (hence the popularity of the ipad) because if you skimp and get one without a camera (kindle fire), very limited app store (touchpad or playbook) or a bad screen (many many tablets) then you will regret the purchase later when you want that feature.

That's a good assessment imo... Few people need a tablet, in the sense that the tablet doesn't do anything a smartphone and/or laptop can't do (and do better in some cases), but almost anyone will happily enjoy a tablet more than those devices under certain specific circumstances (around the house, vacations, etc).

For me the breaking point was $300, I didn't think any tablet running a mobile OS was worth more than that... I'm VERY glad I scored an ASUS Transformer for exactly that much last summer during Office Depot's $100-off promo, mine has gotten plenty of use but I could also live without it, easily.

I've since bought a second one as a gift around February for $350, which I thought was a bit much but since we're sharing one keyboard/dock around the house it was somewhat worthwhile.

I think Google is doing something very smart if they're indeed planning to release a $200-$250 Nexus tablet (by ASUS)... As big a hit as the iPad is, I think once tablets hit a lower price point they'll become that 3rd device netbooks hoped to be, the extra device nobody need but everyone gets anyway. The Fire was close but people don't get to try it in-stores and it lacks flexibility unless you hack it.

I´ve owned two tablets, an EEE Pad Transformer and I just acquired an iPad 3. I mainly used both for reading, although I read much more now on the iPad 3 since text is so crisp on the display. Magazines are also far more enjoyable on the iPad than the EEE Pad. I also websurf, watch videos, and play games. Based off my experiences with Android tablets and iOS, I´ll have to give Apple the nod here. The iOS experience is far superior on a tablet than Android.

I also own a Kindle, but frankly is mostly abandoned for reading since I got the iPad. Its main use now is as my beach reader since you can actually read it in sunlight.

I find laptops, and even netbooks(10.5" 1gb 150gb) more useful than tablets. Acer, and Asus sell netbooks for same price as tablets. I could use a netbook for travel, to play games, use internet, to edit my photos, etc.
I would not carry a 15.6" laptop with a DVD burner which I dont use, nor do I watch movies when in Vegas or Paris or Rome. That's what a TV and portable DVD players are for.

In fact, I am getting a desktop + netbook.

Last edited:
well you cant check your email or sign into anything. Only an idiot would sign into thier primary email or bank stuff at a public wifi... ..

But isnt every wifi "public" by definition? I mean, if I am at home doing my banking or emails or chatting with gf, etc. and my neighbors are doing same, why is that more secure than being in the park, at cafe, library, at school, etc.?

Me thinks banks would not allow people to log in thru public wifi if they werent secure. Is it possible sysadmin could watch my gf doing a strip show for me if I am at Starbucks? Yes, but it's also possible for my hacker neighbor to do so; or someone to break in and read my emails... as has been done by Ruper Murdoch's newspapers.

I have no use for my tablet (HP touchpad with CyanogenMod 9) other than to stream tv eps from my home server while pooping.

I bought the new iPad and have found myself using it a lot more than my MacBook Pro. Sure there are somethings that I can only do on my computer (music library, work applications, etc..) but for the majority, I can use my iPad. The screen is fantastic and I have definitely been spoiled from it. Plus, I enjoy using it to read books, magazines, as well as stream content to the Apple TV. I don't have the time to game as much on the PC as I used to, so it hasn't been too much of a hassle. Another great thing is the 4G in my area. Almost just as fast as my apartment's Internet and I can use it anywhere. I love using my iPad for basic tasks and it excells at performing them.

This got me thinking.. maybe the reason Mac people love tablets so much is that their Macs can't do anything an iPad can't do... I've always thought of tablets as being nearly worthless because they can't do anything my PC can do.

I have no use for my tablet (HP touchpad with CyanogenMod 9) other than to stream tv eps from my home server while pooping.

This got me thinking.. maybe the reason Mac people love tablets so much is that their Macs can't do anything an iPad can't do... I've always thought of tablets as being nearly worthless because they can't do anything my PC can do.

thats actually a really good point. when i go from my pc to a tablet, i find myself limited everywhere i go. for a mac user, that might not be as much the case so they dont mind the experience as much. and this wouldnt only apply to mac users, but to all non-power users really.

thats actually a really good point. when i go from my pc to a tablet, i find myself limited everywhere i go. for a mac user, that might not be as much the case so they dont mind the experience as much. and this wouldnt only apply to mac users, but to all non-power users really.

For mobile OS tablets I guess this is true but this isn't a limitation of tablets, simply the hardware and OS that run. My S7S is a bit bigger, heavier then most mobile OS tablets and doesn't have the battery life as well but it it has no functional limitations beyond what the hardware can handle.

I think this is why GOOD x86 tablets running Windows 8 have a lot of potential. There are issues of cost, battery life and size but in time I think those issues have come a long way.

I do think that part of the Windows 8 kitchen sink strategy is to do a little bit of everything and see what sticks. If Intel can get x86 hardware to perform better, cost less and use less power that it has the possibility of changing the tablet game.

What we know as tablets today won't be the same I don't think as what tablets will be known as 10 years from now just how that has occur ed with the Internet and practically all technology.

I use my Ipad 2 for reading books, surfing the web, Flipboard, games, movies, controlling my HTPC via remote control app, remote control of multiple PC's, paying bills, planning trips, and about everything else you can think off.

My son uses it for learning games and youtube.

But isnt every wifi "public" by definition? I mean, if I am at home doing my banking or emails or chatting with gf, etc. and my neighbors are doing same, why is that more secure than being in the park, at cafe, library, at school, etc.?

Me thinks banks would not allow people to log in thru public wifi if they werent secure. Is it possible sysadmin could watch my gf doing a strip show for me if I am at Starbucks? Yes, but it's also possible for my hacker neighbor to do so; or someone to break in and read my emails... as has been done by Ruper Murdoch's newspapers.

It's far FAR easier for someone to snoop what you're doing once they're on the same network than it is for someone to first have to hack WPA2 to get on your home network and THEN proceed to snoop.

For mobile OS tablets I guess this is true but this isn't a limitation of tablets, simply the hardware and OS that run. My S7S is a bit bigger, heavier then most mobile OS tablets and doesn't have the battery life as well but it it has no functional limitations beyond what the hardware can handle.

I think this is why GOOD x86 tablets running Windows 8 have a lot of potential. There are issues of cost, battery life and size but in time I think those issues have come a long way.

I do think that part of the Windows 8 kitchen sink strategy is to do a little bit of everything and see what sticks. If Intel can get x86 hardware to perform better, cost less and use less power that it has the possibility of changing the tablet game.

What we know as tablets today won't be the same I don't think as what tablets will be known as 10 years from now just how that has occur ed with the Internet and practically all technology.

Hopefully, as long as Microsoft doesn't screw the pooch... Cause I don't see anyone else picking up the flag if their x86 (or even ARM) Win8 strategy fails. I think MS will invest enough in the endeavor to make it a successful alternative in the long run. If that's the case, mobile OS tablets will end up being the metbooks of the tablet space... I don't think they'll disappear entirely, for some consumers they're honestly a better choice, and they'll always be cheaper.

I have an original Transformer I'm happy with, but I don't see myself upgrading it anytime soon unless someone starts selling a $300 1080p version (they'll start at double that, but that's what I paid for mine). I'm pumped to see something like the Lenovo Yoga tho, even if it costs $1,000-$1,500. I haven't replaced my netbook even tho I'm dying to because of all the interesting Win 8 hybrids we'll see this year and next.

I hardly use the netbook anymore, but there's certain tasks I still need it for, and there's a few things I currently do on the TF that would be a lot easier to do on an x86 Windows ultraportable.

Last edited:
I hardly use the netbook anymore, but there's certain tasks I still need it for, and there's a few things I currently do on the TF that would be a lot easier to do on an x86 Windows ultraportable.

Windows 8 is in a lot of ways the most complex piece of software ever developed. It's a combination of Windows 7 which even those how bemoan Windows 8 call Windows 7 as a fantastic desktop OS with all the capabilities of mobile OS tablets. Windows 8 will wotj on every form factor, work with every common input type and run on both x86 and ARM platforms and Metro apps will will across ALL of these devices using touch, keyboards, mice and even pens.

Windows 8 may be a huge flop, but rarely in out lives do we see such ambition and risk being taken from a company that's raking in billions in cash, has never in its history lost money and has a AAA credit rating,

Oh yeah, it's a huge risk, bigger than most people would think for sure... Its also something they had to do if they wanted to stay relevant tho; and it may very well flop on year 1 or all the way thru year 3, but if they were able to commit to a gaming console to make it a winner after a couple of years I definitely think they have the stones (not to mention the cash) to make it a success in the long run. It's just a matter of how many market segments they can make a big impact on, the high end is a given, the low end is another story (and one that's not entirely in their hands).

i dont use it for anything at the moment i sold it = ( sellers remorse.... i want another one. LOL.

Back