What do you use your tablet for?

I use my iPad 2 for business. I can't tell you how many circles this thing runs around laptops when it comes to taking notes for 8 hours at a keynote event. With evernote, my notes taken sync up to my computer at home. I tend to use it more as a supportive tool vs a full fledged computing device for all of my needs.

I use my iPad 2 for business. I can't tell you how many circles this thing runs around laptops when it comes to taking notes for 8 hours at a keynote event. With evernote, my notes taken sync up to my computer at home. I tend to use it more as a supportive tool vs a full fledged computing device for all of my needs.

So how does an iPad run circles around a laptop for note taking? I use OneNote on my Tablet PCs, to me that runs circles around any note taking setup there is. You've got a choice of keyboard, mouse, touch and pen with the bet note taking program out there.

I have an iPad 2 and the closeout Touchpad.

iPad I use for all the typical things, reading, browsing, music, games, comic books. PDF football playbook are great and Amplitube is just plain awesome also.

Touchpad I take out into the world with me because if it gets stolen it only cost me 100 bucks.

Most of the time i use my touchpad as a paperweight. Sometimes take it out for web browsing and some note taking at work

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.2 here.

Use it almost entirely for web browsing. It's a total toy/convenience item. Lets me check my email and some forums and stuff from my couch instead of getting up to go check things on my PC.

My Nook Tablet has replaced my phone for all my e-reading (books, newspapers, magazines, comics, etc.) and editing documents for work when I'm without my laptop.

My eyes are much happier with me. :)

ipads for everything. I enjoy some games more on the ipad than the desktop.

The first ipad got so much attention, I had to get another. I never thought my wife would go for such a thing but now it's part of her ritual. Get home from work, go to the lazyboy w/dinner and ipad.

Using airvideo to play movies on the ipad or via apple tv is cool too.

So how does an iPad run circles around a laptop for note taking? I use OneNote on my Tablet PCs, to me that runs circles around any note taking setup there is. You've got a choice of keyboard, mouse, touch and pen with the bet note taking program out there.

Almost guaranteed the iPad is lighter.

Almost guaranteed the iPad is lighter.

Which really wouldn't have a lot to do with the activity of note taking if you're sitting at a desk. Note taking was something I was very interested in when the iPad came out and spent a number of days with a borrowed one to really see how well it would work for note taking. If I thought it worked well, or for that matter even an Android device I would gotten one, note taking is simply part of my life. I even looked hard at the HTC Flyer which has digital pen similar to the HP Slate.

They just don't compare to a Tablet PC. If you've never used a nice Tablet PC I could see where one would be happy with an iPad or other device for that purpose but once you really get into lots of note taking with something like OneNote and a pen, it's just hard to use anything else.

Which really wouldn't have a lot to do with the activity of note taking if you're sitting at a desk. Note taking was something I was very interested in when the iPad came out and spent a number of days with a borrowed one to really see how well it would work for note taking. If I thought it worked well, or for that matter even an Android device I would gotten one, note taking is simply part of my life. I even looked hard at the HTC Flyer which has digital pen similar to the HP Slate.

They just don't compare to a Tablet PC. If you've never used a nice Tablet PC I could see where one would be happy with an iPad or other device for that purpose but once you really get into lots of note taking with something like OneNote and a pen, it's just hard to use anything else.

Conviniently enough, one note for the iPad is now avalible.

I know some people like tablet pc. Some people, just as similarly, always have a desk nearby...

Not against you, just saying, the last ms dev camp I attended had a lot more iPads floating around than I had previously thought possible.

Conviniently enough, one note for the iPad is now avalible.

I know some people like tablet pc. Some people, just as similarly, always have a desk nearby...

Not against you, just saying, the last ms dev camp I attended had a lot more iPads floating around than I had previously thought possible.

Microsoft has been pumping out a lot of iPad apps. I've looked at couple of YouTube reviews of OneNote on the iPad. It's nothing like the experience on a pen based Tablet PC.

The iPad is extremely popular and everyone know they exist. But I bet even most devs haven't seen many Tablet PCs are know much about them. I've pulled out my S7S at a meeting the other day and got the standard question "Is that an iPad?" When I proceed to run all of the programs we use on our desktops and start writing on it, it puts people in a shock that something that's not much bigger than an iPad is a full Windows 7 computer. And these people were developers.

I checked for MS iPad apps yesterday but could only find the Onenote app. Where can one find others?

To completely honest, I bought an Android tablet for my 7yo kid who would always ask for my phone (EVO) so he could play games and watch some saved YouTube videos. The only real advantage I've experienced with the whole tablet thing is the ability to surf the web quickly. I bought a generic Android tablet bc I just couldn't bring myself to drop $600 on a 16GB iPad2 with no option to increase memory. 8GB will fill up fast and 32GB is crazy expensive especially when a 32GB microsd card retails for less than $40.

Can someone please help me decide whether or not to root? What would be the advantage? Remember, its a generic Android 2.3 tab so there are no preloaded apps hogging up memory and its WiFi/Bluetooth (no 3G).

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack thread. Please let me know if I should start a new one.

I checked for MS iPad apps yesterday but could only find the Onenote app. Where can one find others?

search the appstore for "microsoft corporation"

They have OneNote, Bing, Xbox Live, Kinectimals, OnPoint, Onit, some Halo app, etc

I'm pretty sure they're bringing office and such over to the ipad as well

I'm pretty sure they're bringing office and such over to the ipad as well

Office I think they will hold on to a while and get that out on their own tablets first, Real Microsoft Office on tablets will be a big selling point for Windows 8 tablets and I think it would be silly to release an Office suite for the iPad at the same time Microsoft is trying to roll out Windows 8. But if they do release it sooner, it's more than likely going to be just a taste of the version for Windows 8 Metro. Plus my guess is that pretty much everything Microsoft has on the iPad will be available for Windows 8 tablets.

Office I think they will hold on to a while and get that out on their own tablets first, Real Microsoft Office on tablets will be a big selling point for Windows 8 tablets and I think it would be silly to release an Office suite for the iPad at the same time Microsoft is trying to roll out Windows 8. But if they do release it sooner, it's more than likely going to be just a taste of the version for Windows 8 Metro. Plus my guess is that pretty much everything Microsoft has on the iPad will be available for Windows 8 tablets.

that's quite possible... although microsoft isn't stupid either.

The ipad holds around 80% of the tablet market and countless office type apps are being released for it (that are compatible with Office) all the time, including Apples own office suite. As more companies adopt the ipad for office use, they're going to be forced to use a competitors software opposed to MS own solution. IMHO, they'd be wise to release it as soon as they can. I'm sure windows 8 on a tablet would sell itself in an office envronment for the IT support alone.

The ipad holds around 80% of the tablet market and countless office type apps are being released for it (that are compatible with Office) all the time, including Apples own office suite. As more companies adopt the ipad for office use, they're going to be forced to use a competitors software opposed to MS own solution. IMHO, they'd be wise to release it as soon as they can. I'm sure windows 8 on a tablet would sell itself in an office envronment for the IT support alone.

yeah i think theyd release it sooner. win 8 isnt even on the horizon yet. in other news, 6 pages of this thread and i still havent found a use for my touchpad. :/ i put it in fs/ft and am trying to find it a nice home.

I do agree with your assessment, however when I talk to average people asking me for advice on tablet buying, I found myself surprised by how many people wanted to be able to run things like Office. I know that there was a survey that showed greatly diminishing interest in Windows tablets but I wonder how that survey was worded. My guess is that if you ask people what there interest level is in running traditional Windows programs on a tablet, that level of interest might even be growing a bit, because as you point out, people are trying to do more productive things on tablets all the time.

Sure do an iPad Office version, but there's no real rush. Given the extremely long history of people trying to develop an Office killer (that's been going on much longer than people trying to develop an iPad killer) with virtually no success, it ain't gonna happen in the next year on resource constrained ARM devices.

To me, a good Metro version of Office is one of those game changer types, especially OneNote. A great Metro version of OneNote on $500 devices with a digital pen, that's a big deal. I know that a lot of iPad fans think that pens are niche but I simply don't buy that. Millions of people still carry pen and paper and use it all the time. Get an AFFORDABLE tablet out there with great battery life and a pen and they'd sell in the millions with simple marketing, especially to the education market.

And that could be the big distinction between an iPad and Windows 8 version of Office, digital ink.

I do agree with your assessment, however when I talk to average people asking me for advice on tablet buying, I found myself surprised by how many people wanted to be able to run things like Office. I know that there was a survey that showed greatly diminishing interest in Windows tablets but I wonder how that survey was worded. My guess is that if you ask people what there interest level is in running traditional Windows programs on a tablet, that level of interest might even be growing a bit, because as you point out, people are trying to do more productive things on tablets all the time.

Sure do an iPad Office version, but there's no real rush. Given the extremely long history of people trying to develop an Office killer (that's been going on much longer than people trying to develop an iPad killer) with virtually no success, it ain't gonna happen in the next year on resource constrained ARM devices.

To me, a good Metro version of Office is one of those game changer types, especially OneNote. A great Metro version of OneNote on $500 devices with a digital pen, that's a big deal. I know that a lot of iPad fans think that pens are niche but I simply don't buy that. Millions of people still carry pen and paper and use it all the time. Get an AFFORDABLE tablet out there with great battery life and a pen and they'd sell in the millions with simple marketing, especially to the education market.

And that could be the big distinction between an iPad and Windows 8 version of Office, digital ink.

I actually wonder how that could work on a capacitive touch screens. Does it just not register if an object is larger than "X" size? I use a stylus for sketching on my iPad (until a new Wacom Cintiq is released at least), but find it very awkward to use since I have to keep my hand off the surface (or use something non-conductive to rest my palm/hand on). If I draw/sketch like I normally would on paper, it registers as an input on the iPad and freaks out at times (zooming, registering as a brush stroke, panning, etc).

I just wonder how handwriting would work in that scenario. Especially since it's easy to just barely touch the screen with your hand (not even placing your whole hand or palm on it) and registering it as an input. Or do they use another technology than a capacitive stylus?

I actually wonder how that could work on a capacitive touch screens. Does it just not register if an object is larger than "X" size? I use a stylus for sketching on my iPad (until a new Wacom Cintiq is released at least), but find it very awkward to use since I have to keep my hand off the surface (or use something non-conductive to rest my palm/hand on). If I draw/sketch like I normally would on paper, it registers as an input on the iPad and freaks out at times (zooming, registering as a brush stroke, panning, etc).

I just wonder how handwriting would work in that scenario. Especially since it's easy to just barely touch the screen with your hand (not even placing your whole hand or palm on it) and registering it as an input. Or do they use another technology than a capacitive stylus?

The best Tablet PCs use both a capacitive touch and Wacom digitizers and work pretty much a like a Cintiq. When the pen is in rage the capacitative touch digitizer automatically turns off, it actually tends to work very well. Cheaper tablets like some Android devices use N-Trig digitizers, not as good with pens as Wacom digitizers but FAR better than capacitive only devices in regards to pens.

But beyond the pen digitizer is the wonderful handwriting recognition in Windows, it's just amazing stuff. A lot of people think that their handwriting is too bad to work well but they often end up surprised. It has the potential to be a big deal if the right hardware at the right price is there.

Mostly just use it to browse or when I'm way too lazy to head upstairs to my computer. I will read emails on them, but responding to emails... still on either a laptop or my main rig.

I have a Kindle Fire, so my primary use is to read books on it. Facebooking is my secondary use, along with some forum browsing, but that's mostly it.

Just got a Kindle Fire, using it for web browsing mainly and some games every now and again. Just easier to grab when your on the couch and want to surf the web.

When i was looking for a tablet about a year ago I needed a large screen and the ability to run windows as it had to be able to install comicrack. (think they have an android version now) It meant the options were limited and the tablet was expensive. Eventually went for a Zoostorm SL8 at about 650 euro's. It also has/needed wifi as I store all the comics on the server and stream them to the tablet. Its not perfect but it gets the job done

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5101/5621708681_e986e57d6e_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5026/5622304694_c4b24599ee_b.jpg

Got the kindle fire... mostly just to web browse. My gf puts it in her purse and brings it whever she goes.

I have the same question. I have been debating on getting one to see what the hubub is about.

You could take it to an internet cafe to do... well you cant check your email or sign into anything. Only an idiot would sign into thier primary email or bank stuff at a public wifi...

Watch a movie? maybe, but you couldnt store but maybe 1-2 movies on these things... unless it was very highly compressed. Stream maybe if you have a wifi available, but you wouldnt want to sign into it at a public wifi and if your at home, you would be using your actual computer...

hmm.. The only thing one of these does that my phone doesnt do is present a larger screen and possibly play angry birds... And I hardly use my phone...

I have debated on getting an E-Book reader, since thats the only concievable purpose I could come up with, but if that was the case, I would just buy one of those instead. That being said, I still prefer to have the actual book so I have always talked myself out of it.

I easily spend 14+ hours a day around computers and still cant see any real purpose... Like you said, you could be a decent netbook or light laptop for the cost of some of these things..

I agree. I think a lot of what you can do can be done on tablets but especially on Apple's tablets it is a bit more limiting with the lack of Flash (or in a small way, Java), and the fact you are typing on a touchscreen keyboard. I think a tablet can replace a bit of what you can do on your computers, like chatting, watching videos, listening to music, playing games (through the Android Market or Apple's App Store), surfing the web and doing basic productivity, for example on Apple's mobile platform they have their mobile iWork suite for the iPad.

Perhaps go into a store and try out whatever tablet they have there and see what it can do. Or if you're interested in looking at Apple's iPad go into an Apple Store and try out their iPad to have a feel of what the iPad can do that your computer already does. A tablet definitely can replace quite a bit of what you already do on a computer. But really it is limited to the software, and the iPad and other tablets aren't very good for web development, programming and other productivity where it is limiting in the apps that are available and the functionality of those apps, such as Apple's iWork suite for the iPad, which, from the last time I checked, doesn't support table of contents as an example.

I'd definitely recommend you try out a tablet in a local computer store, as there are plenty of Android and non-Android tablets to choose from, as well as Apple's iPad. Though, saying that, Windows 8 looks very promising for tablet computers so if you can wait, I would recommend waiting until Windows 8 is released and there are Windows 8 tablets available that you can try out. As of now I do think Windows 8 will be less limiting than iOS and Android, as it is an operating system that will be used by all form factors, including desktop and laptop computers.

i agree. i created this thread a when i owned 3 android tablets: and entourage pocket edge, a touchpad, and a nook color. i now only have the entourage edge because i use it as an alarm clock by my bed and for reading ebooks on the eink screen. it doesnt do either especially well, and i will probably eventually replace it with a regular alarm clock and a nook touch.

i believe whether or not a tablet is right for you centers mostly around your lifestyle. for me, i work 8 hrs+/day at a job where i can not bring in any outside hard drive or camera. therefore all tablets are out. im not even allowed a smartphone. when im not at work, i spend most of my time in the house, and about 7 hours of that sleeping. i hardly ever take the bus anywhere, go on a long car trip, fly, wait in lines, chill at starbucks or the park, etc. those are the times when a tablet is nice. those times when youre away from your desktop, and its not real convenient to pull out your laptop.

i am either at work where i cant have one, or at home where i have my desktop and laptop. for me a tablet will just go to waste as they cant even come close to a desktop or laptop in terms of functionality and ease of use. they rule when it comes to portability and on-the-go use. so evaluate yourself for a week, see how much time you would actually use it. if you find there are a lot of times when you might then buy one with a 30-day return policy and see if you find it worth the price.

UPDATE:

I couldn't control myself and bought an ASUS Transformer Prime tablet. All I can say is, "It's pretty damn sick!" I know there are GPS issues, but I don't use GPS on my tablet for any reason and probably won't as I have a prefectly reliable GPS on my smartphone.

Great gadget to kill time and do internet based stuff, like type this reply... Get one!

I have a Gigabyte T1005 Netbook intvertable tablet that I used for drawing (resistive screen) and for network security testing :) and surfing the web and stuff when I go home for the weekends.

me?

For 149 I got myself the 32GB touchpad -- modded the hell out of it with Ice Cream Sandwich. And it ROCKS

I mainly use it at work when it's slow to link up to my phones hotspot and surf the sites I want to without the company seeing. (no.... nothing porn related)

That, and I use it to play on the net while taking a dump.

Back