WD Red drives?

Well, both make sense and are true. The first one says you should disable it, not that it's mandatory or that TLER will cause trouble. The other says it doesn't matter.

Anyway I'm starting to wonder how errors are being managed by recent WD drives as for the second time on a WD green I formatted a drive with pending sectors so that they would be reallocated, and instead SMART is now clean with no reallocated and no pending sector.

Well, both make sense and are true. The first one says you should disable it, not that it's mandatory or that TLER will cause trouble. The other says it doesn't matter.

You would want TLER off if you are not using redundancy since zfs will have no way to correct it would be worth a shot for the drive to try to recover. If you are using redundancy in zfs then it would be best to have TLER on since it would be a wast of time for the hard drive to try to recover.

Are there stock issues on these drives because of popularity or bugs? I am looking for some 2TB Reds and nothing can be found.

Amazon just got them listed and has the 1TB in stock at least.

http://amzn.com/B008JJLXO6
http://amzn.com/B008JJLZ7G
http://amzn.com/B008JJLW4M

I would much rather order from Amazon to save on shipping and tax (I'm in CA)

I like to order from Amazon because they pack considerably better than Newegg but they are $20 more on Amazon and out of stock in the 2TB version too. I'd probably go with 1TB usually, but the NAS I am looking to use is just a 2 disk version. Maybe down the road I'll do a FreeNAS server with the 1TBs.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are these just a lower priced alternative to the WD RE4 drives?

And if so, what do they sacrifice to the RE4's?

I didn't see anything in the op's article mentioning the RE4's...

Are these just a lower priced alternative to the WD RE4 drives?

And if so, what do they sacrifice to the RE4's?

I didn't see anything in the op's article mentioning the RE4's...

These Red drives seem to be the Greens with the slower Intellidrive but with some Enterprise function that RE4 has such as TLER. The warranty is 3 years compared to 5 that RE4 has too.

Been waiting forever for the 3TB's to restock at Newegg, hopefully at the $170 price...

$199 for these is silly and WDC really has killed competition and successfully gamed the market. I'd recommend don't do them the favor, hold out a couple months for the Hitachi's in Toshiba clothing which should be excellent for RAID.

$199 for these is silly and WDC really has killed competition and successfully gamed the market. I'd recommend don't do them the favor, hold out a couple months for the Hitachi's in Toshiba clothing which should be excellent for RAID.

Until some competition comes alone with a TLER-enabled 5400RPM HDD with RAFF-like functions comes along, WD can pretty much make the price whatever they want.
There is a large market for NAS devices, and these drives are almost essential for NAS devices, unless one wants or needs 7200RPM drives.

It's only $199 because it's out of stock. Amazon always matches or beats Newegg's HD prices, but since shipping is free and there is no tax, they are way less that Newegg.

Until some competition comes alone with a TLER-enabled 5400RPM HDD with RAFF-like functions comes along, WD can pretty much make the price whatever they want.
There is a large market for NAS devices, and these drives are almost essential for NAS devices, unless one wants or needs 7200RPM drives.
In my experience, WD desktop drives are pretty bad with RAID (dropping out), so TLER is probably really essential for them, but I'm not sure if the other manufacturers should catch up with WD, or they (WD) have just caught up with the others.

In my experience, WD desktop drives are pretty bad with RAID (dropping out), so TLER is probably really essential for them

In FakeRAID or hardware RAID, I totally agree with you.

The 2TBs are back in stock at Newegg. Amazon has them slightly lower but not in stock yet. I just need a Synology deal now. C'mon storage gods, shine down upon me!

build your own ;)

Normally I would, but I just want a two drive NAS for now. Otherwise I'd go overboard on a FreeNAS build and would barely use it all. :p

I probably will, been looking at an i5 Ivy Bridge and RAM... dangerous.

The 2TBs are back in stock at Newegg. Amazon has them slightly lower but not in stock yet. I just need a Synology deal now. C'mon storage gods, shine down upon me!

Amazon gave me an estimated delivery date for a pair of the 3TB's this morning. August 21 - 22. Hopefully means they'll be in stock end of this week/beginning of next. :)

Amazon gave me an estimated delivery date for a pair of the 3TB's this morning. August 21 - 22. Hopefully means they'll be in stock end of this week/beginning of next. :)

I hope so. Newegg jacked their prices up by $30. :mad:

Excaliberpc.com has a bunch of the 3TB in stock at a decent price. I ordered two yesterday, after deciding I didn't want to wait for Amazon to get them back in stock. They're out for delivery right now.

They're on amazon's dealer list but the drives are $16 cheaper each direct.

Steve

I bought 4 x 3TB Reds today at US N*C*I*X*. Newegg has them now too but they cost more and you can only buy 2.

Just a quick update. Excaliberpc.com packaging on these is horrible. Two drives stacked directly on top of each other wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap with some thin foam strips above and below in a box barely bigger than the two drives.

Here's hoping they're ok.

Steve

Just a quick update. Excaliberpc.com packaging on these is horrible. Two drives stacked directly on top of each other wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap with some thin foam strips above and below in a box barely bigger than the two drives.

Here's hoping they're ok.

Steve

Sounds like they are taking packing advice from Newegg. I bought 8 drives once and they were all chained together with bubble wrap. :mad:

I might grab these from Amazon now that they are in stock. It just burns me up that they cost so much now. Newegg bumped the price again to $164, yikes. Better grab them before Amazon does the same.

3TB drives are on sell at newegg.. 2 at a time or you can go to neweggbusiness for 10 at a time.. Only bad thing is they jacked the price up by 40 dollars a drive which is BS..

Just received two 3TB reds from ctistore.com for $184 each. Shipping couldn't have been better - they used the hard drive foam inserts. No slop at all.

I got my 4 3tb Reds yesterday from N*C*I*X*U*S*A. Packing was superb, best I've ever seen for hard drives. Honestly, I couldn't have done it better if I had done it myself. I'm checking for dead sectors but none thus far. All systems go. Really happy with N*C*I*X*U*S*A, even if H forum hates them.

Anyone tested these drives with sas expander or Areca 16xx or 18xx raid card??

Need to find a new disk to replace the superb hitachi 3TB 5k3000 drives, don't sell any more in Sweden :(

Ended up buying 2 3TB's from N C I X; only place that had a semi-decent price to NY. Can finally finish my server after waiting almost a year for a post Thailand price decrease that never really materialized.

Ended up buying 2 3TB's from N C I X; only place that had a semi-decent price to NY. Can finally finish my server after waiting almost a year for a post Thailand price decrease that never really materialized.

Probably realized people were still buying drives at the higher prices. I know I intended on waiting, but prices weren't falling as fast as I would have liked, so I jumped on a 2TB Samsung F4 for $110-120 about 4-5 months ago, and a 2TB WD Black for $180 - $75 GC a few weeks ago. Ahh well.

2TB REDs have horrible availability here in Sweden, all major distributors have been postponing dates for the last 1½ week...
//Danne

Probably realized people were still buying drives at the higher prices. I know I intended on waiting, but prices weren't falling as fast as I would have liked, so I jumped on a 2TB Samsung F4 for $110-120 about 4-5 months ago, and a 2TB WD Black for $180 - $75 GC a few weeks ago. Ahh well.

Either that, or they just didn't think building all their their lines back up after the flooding was worth it considering the low storage prices, so they decided to reduce capacity by building fewer lines.

Back