WD Easystore External Discussion

Discussion in '[H]ot Deals Discussions' started by klank, Apr 23, 2017.

1. nilepez

nilepez [H]ardForum Junkie

How'd you get a gift card for buying these drives?

2. pclausen

pclausen Limp Gawd

I signed up for a BB credit card and I guess that is the reason. I normally get like a$5 or $10 gift card when picking up a 8TB drive, but I guess buying them on a BB CC give you a better reward? I plan to pay of the balance in full each month, so was a nice surprise bonus I wasn't expecting. I have until 4/14 to claim the rewards, so I'm sure they will go back on sale before then.

3. nilepez

Strangely they never send me any cards, despite having bought a bunch of these drives (though I don't have a CC with them...just a rewards zone account). Not sure what that's about

4. Justintoxicated

Justintoxicated [H]ardForum Junkie

I bought a couple of these back in early september @$170 each and just tonight I shucked the drive and tried to install it in my PC. The PC will not boot up with the drive plugged in. The drive has a red label on it. Any idea what would make it cause the computer not to boot? I get past the bios screen but then thats it.

edit: I got it to boot by plugging the sata connector into a 2 port sata controller in a pcie-2x slot. Perhaps the old motherboard just can't support the drive? Seems strange but I have seen stranger things before I guess.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  5. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

log into your reward zone account and see if you have any rewards. They have a time limit on them so they will expire.

6. Kibagami

Kibagami Limp Gawd

7. nilepez

I'll call them this week. Apparently my online account is not the same as my rewards account (except for when I order on line). I still don't know why they didn't send me coupons in the mail. They have my address.

8. Justintoxicated

Justintoxicated [H]ardForum Junkie

9. Celeryman

Celeryman Limp Gawd

[​IMG]

I got two EFAX reds from the two I have shucked so far. Albuquerque NM best buy.

nilepez likes this.
  10. vincewchan

vincewchan [H]Lite

Is the EMAZ confirmed?

I purchased two from Montebello, CA today. Made in Thailand, verified they're EMAZ... did I get the Enterprise HGST? Are the Enterprise HGST more rare and sough after vs the WD Red?

Attached Files:

11. Lunas

Lunas [H]ardForum Junkie

Yes you did no they are not rare the ones highly desired are the wd red efax or the Thailand red efzx the least desired are the ezzx and Emaz and China made efzx

The least common are efzx not made in China.

The Emaz are not bad drives they are about as fast and equivilant to the efax drives but they have the 3.3v power disable reset feature turned on and that makes using them difficult as they require the 3.3v line to be removed or for the psu to support the feature. A Molex to sata adaptor will also work but some backplane and most consumer grade psu will trigger this feature causing the drive to not spin up.

12. Ark :o

Ark :o Limp Gawd

Picked up another one of these drives today at the Best Buy in Lancaster, PA. It's a Red 256mb EFAX drive, made in Thailand, dated July 29th, 2017. Serial starts with 7SGRE.

13. arryo

arryo n00b

I just picked 5 and 4 of them are white EMAZ, and one is RED. Those white ones won't power up with my Norco SS-400 HDD, but they are working fine with Supermicro hot swap

14. Lunas

Lunas [H]ardForum Junkie

3.3v reset mode is being triggered stupid feature that has no business being active in this use. you can fix by removing the 3.3v rail you may need to disassemble the dock it seems it has some sort of dc-dc converter inside you will need to cut the traces going to each drive bay for the 3.3v rail

Serial-ata-connector.gif

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  15. arryo

arryo n00b

I think I have to remove the third pin from the drives themself, can't do it with the dock.

Attached Files:

16. arnemetis

arnemetis 2[H]4U

I can't look now, but I'm pretty sure someone posted about using a type of tape over the pins on the drives instead of disconnecting the wire. May be something you should search the thread for, or maybe it was at reddit I don't know. Unless you're planning on swapping drives around all the time, this may be a safer and less destructive way to address the issue.

17. Lunas

Lunas [H]ardForum Junkie

i have seen mods where the traces on the drive are cut like i posted in the pin out the 3 pins by the leg of the L need to be deleted doesn't really matter how or where. Conformal coating or tape or even prying up the fingers and removing them or cutting the traces...

Arryo can you post a pic of the other side of that board it is looking like the power rails are separated to each side of that pcb as all i see is a great big ground plane

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  18. arryo

arryo n00b

here you go

Attached Files:

19. Lunas

Lunas [H]ardForum Junkie

that does look exceptionally difficult you would need to desolder and remove 3 pins from the 4 connectors unless those 2 jumpers do anything related to power features.

However i have an idea take a sharp metal probe and lift the 1st 3 pins on the power side out of the guide and bend them back and forth to break them off deeper in the connector. It will solve the issue and 3.3v is not used for hdd anyway alternately it will involve removing each connector the bottom slot looked like it was connected via c18 maybe to fix that slot c18 being removed would do...

20. arryo

arryo n00b

you mean this power cable?

https://goo.gl/images/YhLRUA

that box uses those 2 power cables

21. arnemetis

arnemetis 2[H]4U

I'm sure Lunas will chime in, but that's the typical 4 pin peripheral connector, commonly called a molex connector. They supply only 12v and 5v, so obviously the circuitry on the board is delivering the 3.3v, so you can't just pull one of the cables out on those connectors. You are going to have to modify the board or the drives I think in order to use them together. Here's an album with photos and directions to the tape method I mentioned before https://imgur.com/r/DataHoarder/BFdmB

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    arryo and Deadjasper like this.
  22. Lunas

Lunas [H]ardForum Junkie

Yes in typical case those cables would fix the issue but the dock itself has some power delivery and is for some odd reason is providing 3.3v

You will need to manually cut the 3.3v lines on the dock or drive or populate that dock with non Emaz drives.

arryo likes this.
  23. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

Hey, question.

I have two of these 8TB WD Red Externals.

Can I shuck them even after they are full of movies?

The last 5TB WD I cracked up was encrypted and had to save the guts to access the data. Which was a pain in the ass.

Thanks in advance

24. Lunas

Lunas [H]ardForum Junkie

I have shucked 3 one was an Emaz none were encrypted

25. Elf_Boy

Elf_Boy 2[H]4U

How is the speed on these drives? I am looking to put together my first NAS unit.

It seems like way too many issues with resets and custom cable/modifications, for me anyways.

26. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

A piece of tape works fine for the 3.3v mod FYI. I'm using a molex to sata now but used scotch tape trimmed with an exacto knife originally.

The only problem was the tape would come off eventually if you swap the drive frequently, you just need to trim a new piece.

arnemetis likes this.
  27. Luke M

Luke M Limp Gawd

Yes if it's an Easystore. Not if it's a My Book.

28. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

Thanks guys for the replies. I'll will shuck them later today hopefully.

29. SolidBladez

SolidBladez [H]ardness Supreme

They're decent. I have faster HDDs but they're 7200RPM enterprise drives.

https://imgur.com/a/0NPNtvb

For a NAS/Server, I think they'd be perfect.

30. Most HDDs will saturate most home networks for transfers. What you have to think about is file type, is it media? Or small often access files? If it's media etc you will never notice, and faster drives will not do anything to help as it's maxed out the network already. Another factor is user count and how many people will be accessing the drive at a single time, this can bottle net lots of drive, even fast ones outside of an SSD.

31. Elf_Boy

Elf_Boy 2[H]4U

GB Ethernet with a decent switch

Just me, myself, I.

32. arryo

arryo n00b

Back to 149.99, so tempting to get more

33. Spun Ducky

Spun Ducky Gawd

I caved in and bought 2 more.

34. Bullitt

Bullitt 2[H]4U

tl;dr Which link to the OP is the one to get? They're both $150ish and some extra platter drives wouldn't be a bad thing.....

35. DevilDoc

DevilDoc 2[H]4U

On the SATA Power connector, cover pin 3 to block reset mode, or you can possibly cover all 3 3.3V pins to be sure to block voltage in case all 3 are tied together.

This guy used Fisherbrand tape, I recommend using Kapton tape if you can lay your hands on it.

Beats cutting into newly shucked hard drives, in case you want to be able to RMA them down the line.

Reddit Thread:

Imgur Album: https://imgur.com/a/BFdmB#RVp8xvn

Anh N. likes this.
  36. Lunas

Lunas [H]ardForum Junkie

it also beats modifying the backplane... and yes all 3.3v pins need to be isolated as they are tied together...

37. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

Crap. Just bought a Mybook 8TB on AMZ warehouse deals a few days ago but haven't opened. For shucking purposes, wonder if I'm better off returning and getting the Easystore.

Is one model of these externals more known for requiring 3.3v mod, or is it pretty much both ship with drives requiring it now?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  38. Nice

Nice [H]Lite

Aw shucks, thank you for this OP.

39. Liquid_Static

Liquid_Static Gawd

They;re all the same at this point, basically a lottery.

40. Ark :o

Ark :o Limp Gawd

ISWYDT.