Watch Dogs

While the latest patches have made it drastically smoother to play on "high", I have notice an increased crashing of the game now. Fun times.

what I did to finally get the game to run smooth:

- download the Worse Mod that has the newest patch files + worse mod together (google)

- All settings on Ultra

- then change textures to 'High'

- Change Anti-Aliasing to 'Temporal SMAA'.

- Overclock my memory on my GPU a bit more than I had (6700+)

With all that done I have yet to not have the game run smooth as butter. Also I am using the latest nVidia drivers.

Now if I could only make the game fun......

what I did to finally get the game to run smooth:

- download the Worse Mod that has the newest patch files + worse mod together (google)

- All settings on Ultra

- then change textures to 'High'

- Change Anti-Aliasing to 'Temporal SMAA'.

- Overclock my memory on my GPU a bit more than I had (6700+)

With all that done I have yet to not have the game run smooth as butter. Also I am using the latest nVidia drivers.

Now if I could only make the game fun......

I'm using The Worse 1.0 (or .99). Textures can no longer be changed from the main menu. Do you have a link to your specific version?

And does SMAA run better than FXAA? I tried FXAA because I assumed it would give the most frame rates. I also disabled depth of field (which I hate) and motion blur (not a fan). Frame rates do drop, but my main issue is stuttering, particularly in fast cars.

As for the game itself I have found it average at best so far. Doing simple things is a chore and the menu, ways to get side missions and whatnot are completely illogical. Completely ass backwards game design, and they fail to provide you tutorials on how to hack... so you can not even progress in the game. Such a mess of a game, ignoring the broken 2009 era graphics which are more demanding than Crysis 3.

Edit: After playing some more, I have to say this game is a piece of fucking shit. Lets do a quick list of all the issues with it:

1) Stealth mechanics are entirely broken.
2) AI doesn't work.
3) Views don't work.
4) Driving mechanics are atrocious.
5) Frame rates are terrible, yet graphically it is on par with games from 2009. Basic takes, like taking money from an ATM, drop frame rates from 45 down to 5.
6) Stuttering.
7) Occasionally you can not upgrade in your skill tree (mouse gets disabled). Restarting the game fixes this temporarily.
8) Shitty visuals (though I believe this is due to The Worst mod). Go from bright daylight to pitch black darkness, during day, because it is raining.
9) Shooting mechanics suck.
10) Can't do much of anything in game, because every time you get to an objective the game forces cops onto you. Or forces another copy/paste side mission.
11) Cops will randomly target you.
12) You will randomly explode and die.
13) Police chase mechanics are shit. Should be removed from the game.
15) Everyone is a homosexual, transsexual, prostitute, child rapist or some other sick pervert. I am not sure why the developers were so obsessed with this filth; maybe they are pushing their own beliefs in the game? Just shows how low the perverts at Ubisoft can go.
14) Fuck Ubisoft and everyone involved in this project.

On the bright side, Ubisoft finally learned how to make controls not delay by 1-2 seconds unlike Assholes Creed and Splinter Shit. But the long list of colossal fuck ups can't be over looked in this title. It gets a solid 5 out of 10, IMO.

Last edited:
Well i couldn't get the Worse mod + the new patch to pack up right in the directions I read about a week ago from I believe a post on the Steam forums, it just wouldn't work right on my Uplay copy so i torrented a version that has the new patch + worse mod already installed a modded. Rather shitty I know but it was really my last ditch effort to get the game to run so i could play it and since I already payed for it I sad screw it. If this hadn't worked I was going to uninstall the game and be done with it.

The key is really to make sure you have the worse + new patch combined, and make sure to be using "Temporal SMAA" as someone posted the other forms of AA are bugged, and sure as shit when I switched to Tem SMAA my game immediately started to play smoother, etc. I would link the torrent file but, well, I cant so.

As far as the other points man I agree this game is pretty much about as 'average' as you can get.

I think the game is a lost cause. I'm just going to uninstall it and maybe revisit it down the line when hardware has way outpaced it.

Except that the multiplayer aspect has crashed on my so many times that I'm afraid I'd be pooled with the bad behavior people.

I like the idea of Hack Your Friends, can't wait to do this.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/911148-Patch-Notes-08-21-2014

Single Player Added Features

- REPLAY OPTIONS – After having completed the main story line, players will now have the option to reset previously played Gang Hideouts and Convoy Missions. – (ALL PLATFORMS)

- DRINKING GAMES – The Drinking Games were re-tuned based on community feedback. – (ALL PLATFORMS)

- Increase round fail time by 20%. More time for player to finish.
- Increase button cycling time by 50%. More time between button switch.
- Increase player reticle radius by 25% in collect button mode. Allow easier button press succeeded on bad latency tv.
- Increase player reticle last frame velocity impact on this frame position (inertia friction) by 70%. The player reticle slow down faster when no input from player -> easier to stay on the spot targeted & More precise player control.
- Increase player input factor by 50%. More precise and more reactive player control.
- Reduce max force applied randomly to player reticle from 0.35 to 0.29. Less strong random impulse for drunk effect.
- Reduce moving target speed by 15%. Easier for player to time his button press on a target.

Multiplayer Added Features

- HACK YOUR FRIENDS – You can now select available friends via the grid and hack or tail them without their knowledge. This can be disabled under online options. – (ALL PLATFORMS)

- CTOS MOBILE – Mobile players disconnecting will no longer result in the gameplay ending for the console/PC player. Console and PC players will play their match to the end and receive some Notoriety points for doing so. – (ALL PLATFORMS)

- MULTIPLAYER BAD BEHAVIOR – Players who are frequently disconnecting from multiplayer matches will be pooled together and paired only against players with similar online behaviors. – (ALL PLATFORMS)

If you’re playing against someone else who disconnects unfairly, you will get the same amount of Notoriety as if you had won at that moment.

The disconnector will not receive any Notoriety.

Single Player Fixes

- POKER – Fixed a bug in which players were getting stuck playing poker if they used the camera against the last opponent in a low stakes game. – (ALL PLATFORMS)

- MISSING PERSONS INVESTIGATIONS – Fixed instances in which the wrong text was appearing in Portuguese language. – (ALL PLATFORMS)

AMD UPDATE

For optimal performance on AMD graphic cards, a new beta driver (14.7) is available from AMD at http://support.amd.com/en-us/download with the following changes:

- Assassin's Creed IV - improved CrossFire scaling (3840x2160 High Settings) up to 93%
- Watch Dogs: Smoother gameplay on single GPU and Multi-GPU configurations
- Watch Dogs:
- AMD CrossFire – Frame pacing improvements

The full release notes are here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...dows-beta.aspx

On this note, happy hacking.

and

Just announced today that the T-Bone "Bad Blood" DLC is coming September 30th with one week early access for season pass holders.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pkTM10SSUw

How much single player stuff is in the Season Pass? Kinda want to try the Bad Blood DLC, but I NEVER play the online stuff. I could get a buddy to do some CO-OP mission with me but I didn't really see much of that in the base game.

How much single player stuff is in the Season Pass? Kinda want to try the Bad Blood DLC, but I NEVER play the online stuff. I could get a buddy to do some CO-OP mission with me but I didn't really see much of that in the base game.

Plenty. I haven't been online yet. Got about 40 hours of total gameplay thereabouts going and I'm early into Bad Blood.

but I NEVER play the online stuff. I could get a buddy to do some CO-OP mission with me but I didn't really see much of that in the base game.

the hacking pvp aspect is really fun...I'm normally not a multiplayer guy myself but games like Dark Souls and Watch Dogs have made me rethink that...I guess it's all about making a good MP experience

Watch Dogs got a bad rap because of the pre-release graphics downgrade and stuttering issues but I enjoyed the game a lot...the graphics with the SweetFX mod was also pretty impressive...underrated game but I have no interest in any of the DLC...rinse and repeat with new skins is not worth the extra $$

The Bad Blood DLC seems really fun so far. had to stop and help a buddy setup his new Sennheiser PC 350 SE headphones. Otherwise I'd be rolling through it right now!

Granted it's completely stupid that this game requires hardware like this, but on a 980 the game runs great. No more stutter when panning around, no hiccups...it's really pretty nice.

Does the game look amazing even on "ultra" settings? Not really. Sleeping Dogs looks more or less the same and runs like butter on much older hardware. They should have licensed whatever engine it was running. In fact...everyone should. For all I know it's just UE3, but it still looks as good as Watch Dogs.

The Bad Blood DLC seems really fun so far. had to stop and help a buddy setup his new Sennheiser PC 350 SE headphones. Otherwise I'd be rolling through it right now!

I'll be playing it tonight. I have much hope that I'll have blast with it. :)

T-Bone is so much more of a man's man than Aiden ever was. At one point in the DLC, Aiden is referred to as childlike. I wanted to hug the writer at that point.

T-Bone is so much more of a man's man than Aiden ever was. At one point in the DLC, Aiden is referred to as childlike. I wanted to hug the writer at that point.

LOL, me too.

T-Bone is a better realized character. More likeable. More sympathetic. Still runs gray when he has to. Just a flat out better character all the way around for me.

So, the game is on sale right now on steam. Is it worth getting or are there still problems performance-wise. I stayed away until now. Thanks!

So, the game is on sale right now on steam. Is it worth getting or are there still problems performance-wise. I stayed away until now. Thanks!

Could be hit or miss. I was playing the game initially on my rig with 4GB 680's SLI'ed and the performance sucked. FPS was fine, but I got shuddering that was so bad the game was borderline unplayable. Driving was a chore.

After switching to playing on a rig with a single 980, performance was just fine. I never went back to explore what the problem was. Could have been issues with the install... could have been SLI... I don't know. Performance wise, the two computers are almost identical. SLI is my guess, but I can't say for sure.

Could be hit or miss. I was playing the game initially on my rig with 4GB 680's SLI'ed and the performance sucked. FPS was fine, but I got shuddering that was so bad the game was borderline unplayable. Driving was a chore.

After switching to playing on a rig with a single 980, performance was just fine. I never went back to explore what the problem was. Could have been issues with the install... could have been SLI... I don't know. Performance wise, the two computers are almost identical. SLI is my guess, but I can't say for sure.

If you add -disablepagefilecheck to the launch option all the stuttering goes away.. At least for me.

Back