Watch Dogs

Hahaha i keep. hitting civilians by mistake at about 20mph and they die instantly. i just his some poor guy while going max speed in a sports car. the guy flew a 100 or so feet and hit a building then got up and walked away.

Same here. I'm killing more than I want to by accident. I feel like I haven't quite gotten the "feel" of the driving down fully yet.

It runs smooth on my rig at Ultra Settings @ 1080p. Are you using the new beta drivers?

Yes. Hearing how it runs smooth for others with a less capable PC makes me sad. Did you do anything special or was it just smooth out of the box?

this is exactly what I do. I have done 2 convoy missions and both times i just ram the car and run the guy over that im supposed to take down. Then you just gotta escape. It is as easy as it sounds
That's interesting, because when I'm told to "take down" convoy targets, I fail the mission if I kill said targets. It will then tell me that I need to "knock out" the targets.

Perhaps this changes at different skill levels, because what you're describing and what I get are two different things.

There are different types of convoy missions. So far I've seen both "kill target"and "knock down target" types. Probably won't be doing any more of them. Too irritating and pointless.

Hahaha i keep. hitting civilians by mistake at about 20mph and they die instantly. i just his some poor guy while going max speed in a sports car. the guy flew a 100 or so feet and hit a building then got up and walked away.

Haha, I've seen that happen occasionally.

Still baffles me how this game is always using up 2.9-3.3gb of v-ram at 1080p.
http://i.imgur.com/cUD3LVc.png

So after all this time, does anyone think this game comes even close to the hype they generated at E3 3 years ago? Reviews I've read have been very meh.

Well your both right. there are the easy missions that you just have to kill every one. and there are the god awful missions where you have to beat up the targets.

Ah...I guess I haven't done too many after the horrible experience with the first one. :p

So after all this time, does anyone think this game comes even close to the hype they generated at E3 3 years ago? Reviews I've read have been very meh.

Not even close, the E3 trailer made it look next gen in both gameplay and graphics. It's a solid take on GTA with a hacking theme. If you realize that going in and you like those kind of games you'll have fun with Watch Dogs.

PC patch incoming.

https://twitter.com/SebViard/status/472036622171930624

My prediction, no performance increase. They'll fix the save bug and maybe a few other things like falling through the floor.

I wish they would do something about the terrible collision detection spots.. So many times I've shot someone through an object like a pipe, or framing etc, or when they're peaking out of an object and... Nope... Invisible wall just protects them. Every object seems to have fraction of an amount of collision detection surrounding it.

A big no. Still a fun and entertaining game for me, even at its current state (bugs and whatnot).

I wish they'd focused on hacking. The game should be completeable without firing a single shot, like Deus Ex. But I guess that's too much to expect of a game today. I just think there is so much unexplored potential. You build a city controlled by a central OS and all you use it for are turning lights on/off etc, causing destruction? It just seems a mechanism to advance the story and generate more gunfights rather than a central part of the game.

There are different types of convoy missions. So far I've seen both "kill target"and "knock down target" types. Probably won't be doing any more of them. Too irritating and pointless.

Two words: Grenade, Launcher. Pop the guards cars and then take out the target. Super easy unless the guard has a shotgun and it is a take down mission and not a kill mission. Those are stupidly frustrating because you have to wait for them to come to you to do the take down. Another hype-game fail.

Two words: Grenade, Launcher. Pop the guards cars and then take out the target. Super easy unless the guard has a shotgun and it is a take down mission and not a kill mission. Those are stupidly frustrating because you have to wait for them to come to you to do the take down. Another hype-game fail.

Take-downs can be tricky, but the eliminate ones are awesome.

I had one where the route took them under a road bridge. So I took position on the bridge above and waited, then unloaded. How is that not satisfying?

Crossfire uses twice as much memory for me as a single card on all the same settings.

Which makes sense because you are caching twice the amount of frames...

Unless you mean you are accounting for that and it's still using twice as much (somehow).

Which makes sense because you are caching twice the amount of frames...

Unless you mean you are accounting for that and it's still using twice as much (somehow).

I am just going off of what MSI afterburner is telling me. It says 3k MB of memory with one card with only 2100MB used. Stays in the green and no problems. Fire up crossfire, and it says 4072MB of memory with 3950MB used and blam crashes. *shrug* I get that in Xfire it is really only 2048MB of memory usable, so Afterburner must be extrapolating.

Yeah it is completely unoptimized. Like we have been talking about, I think it is a driver problem. Crossfire uses twice as much memory for me as a single card on all the same settings.

This is normal for memory swap

Not even close, the E3 trailer made it look next gen in both gameplay and graphics. It's a solid take on GTA with a hacking theme. If you realize that going in and you like those kind of games you'll have fun with Watch Dogs.

Except GTA nails the driving physics pretty well. That is what makes it such a good open world game. This feels arcade like when you drive.

I am just going off of what MSI afterburner is telling me. It says 3k MB of memory with one card with only 2100MB used. Stays in the green and no problems. Fire up crossfire, and it says 4072MB of memory with 3950MB used and blam crashes. *shrug* I get that in Xfire it is really only 2048MB of memory usable, so Afterburner must be extrapolating.

What's odd is that it's saying a single card has 3000MB and is using more than the 2 GB it has in the first place.

No Aero, everything off
14300609524_28133c72cb_o.jpg

Single card
14278045696_6b4022896c_o.jpg

Crossfire
14278045546_47a46a8e74_o.jpg

SMAA, all settings to high. If I bump to 2x I will get crashes much sooner. I get about 25-40FPS on the single card with stuttering but appears stable, I get 50-60 on crossfire but with Display Driver crashes after a certain amount of time, especially if I do not disable Aero. These are 2048MB 6950s. No idea why it is using so much VRAM for the "High" settings, and can't seem to find any way to grab headroom and keep it stable except to disable AA...optimized....not so much.

I wonder if the driver's leaking resources there. An out-of-VRAM situation shouldn't result in a crash.

I wonder if the driver's leaking resources there. An out-of-VRAM situation shouldn't result in a crash.

it does if the error is egregious enough. go try running 200% resolution scale with 4x MSAA in bf4 at 1440p on a 2 GB card, or 4x4 SSAA forced through drivers in... pretty much anything.

Yeah it is completely unoptimized. Like we have been talking about, I think it is a driver problem. Crossfire uses twice as much memory for me as a single card on all the same settings.

Using ram = unoptimized. What do you call a game that doesn't use your ram then?

Using ram = unoptimized. What do you call a game that doesn't use your ram then?

Using ram efficiently is probably what he meant. CoD ghosts uses all of my ram and VRAM but looks like absolute trash. Are you telling me that's optimized? These newer games are pretending to use tons of resources, but really they are either wasting it to make it look like they are good, or just horribly coded. My guess is horrible/inefficient coding for watch dogs.

I think that pretty much sums up how publishers feel about PC right now :p

A link to that video for the lazy:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/05/29/watch-dogs-next-gen-vs-current-gen-graphics-comparison

Believe it or not, there are several full-screen freeze-frame comparisons between the various systems, as well as some split screen comparisons between two systems. There's one sequence where it's split five ways, and there's usually a character on the PC frame.

Looked to my untrained eye like the PS4 looked best. Must have been running it no higher than 1080p on the PC.

I've been noticing major slowdowns (in-game & general use) with my PC after I updated to the NVIDIA 337.88 drivers. I think I'll be going back to 337.50 or .61 & see how it goes. :mad:

Edit: Might've been the drive I was using for the virtual memory.

Last edited:
Back