Watch Dogs was intentionally hobbled on PC

Unfortunately isn't this standard practice or close to it? Not just confined to Ubi, either?

Can you think of any other instances that have been this blatant....apart from Colonial Marines that is? I personally can't, but my memory is starting to fade after almost 3 decades of gaming.

Ha! True.

They said "we can just crank it up and it works!"

I say: if the consoles can run Ultra settings, than you ain't tryin' hard enough!

LOL. THIS!!

My 3 year old alienware m18x kicks the crap out of a ps3 - it too can run Watch Dogs at "ultra" at 720p. Cutting edge my narrow brown ass.

The point is they showed E3 graphics looking the way they did

Then the final PC version comes out, and it looks the exact same as consoles

And then the dev's said that the PC version was not hobbled in any way http://i.imgur.com/85mhfgx.png when this shows it was indeed hobbled

And here we are

If they had claimed that the E3 graphics were in the game, that'd violate truth in marketing and open themselves up to a lawsuit. What UBI is very good at doing is showing videos with a caption "alpha footage" and/or "may not represent final product". This allows them to change whatever the F they want.

Just like most (it seems) major corporations, I assume Ubisoft is 20% lawyers.

I don't recall Ubisoft making any promises.

You mean these promises:

tweet%201-493-100.jpg

original.jpg

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/watch...ics_not_downgraded_at_all_ubisoft_claims.html

Vilyn's comments follow similar words from creative director Jonathan Morin, who told VideoGamer.com last year that "there's no scale down in quality, especially the next-gen versions.

"It's pretty much the opposite," he said. "What we showed at E3 2012 in a lot of respects was less good. I think it's in the details. So no, there's no scale down."

Last edited:
Killzone 2

Dark Souls II

Yes Dark Souls 2 was a blatant bait and switch.

Killzone 2 I don't necessarily agree as being equivalent in deceptiveness because it was obvious that the trailer was pre-rendered CG even though Sony stated otherwise at the time. It also quickly came out that the trailer was not in-game and Guerrilla made a point of releasing an in-game trailer in advance of release.

So while there are a handful of cases, it doesn't appear that bullshot trailers have become endemic.....yet.

Such a unique game, ruined by some moronic suits at UBIsoft.Outside of Kickstarter PC is dead.

This kind of BS is indicative of everything that's wrong with PC gaming, and especially console ports. What's sad is that Ubisoft doesn't seem to realize that these shenanigans only hurt their product, which in turn hurts sales.

This kind of BS is indicative of everything that's wrong with PC gaming, and especially console ports. What's sad is that Ubisoft doesn't seem to realize that these shenanigans only hurt their product, which in turn hurts sales.

Ubisoft has made it plain time and again that they really don't give a **** about PC sales. After all PC gamers are all pirates anyway. Can't understand why people thought this game would be treated any different.

And isn't Watchdogs one of the top selling games ever. So it doesn't seem to have hurt their sales. And people will do what they always do. Complain, say they won't buy another Ubisoft game, and then pre-order the next one on the first day.

I think the first Dark Souls looks better than Dark Souls II. Not a fan of how From basically removed all the shadows from the game.

agreed. i've watched my brother play both quite a bit and ds1 not only looks better technically, but the environments are much cooler too. i think the most noticeable difference is how much better lightning spear looks.

What do I need to do to get this game to look right? It seems like the textures are what is making it look atrocious. Even with the textures on Ultra, which I guess my 780Ti can't handle, it doesn't look very good. I don't mean this as a Ubisoft bashing, I thought the textures in ACIV Black Flag were spectacular and only use 2GB on my system at 3440x1440.

Should I just rent this title for PS4 and abandon the PC copy that I paid $25 for?

It is appalling to see their attitude, considering..........

xH4YF3A.jpg

Numbers don't lie. Ubisoft cares about its customers as much as I care for the corn in my shit. Awful. Glad I didn't drink the Watch_Dogs koolaid.

xH4YF3A.jpg

Numbers don't lie. Ubisoft cares about its customers as much as I care for the corn in my shit. Awful. Glad I didn't drink the Watch_Dogs koolaid.

What's the showing? Sales of what?

Quarterly financial for all game sales. What else?
I mean, that title couldn't be more specific... Breakdown of Sales by Platform....

The title couldn't be less specific. It doesn't not say "Quarterly financial for all game sales." Is it sales revenue or units sold? Retail? Etail? Digital? Are we including social gaming revenue? Free-to-play?

xH4YF3A.jpg

Wow, impressive. Don't they claim 95% off all PC gamers are pirates? So that 24% is only 5% of legal purchases...

xH4YF3A.jpg

You're not viewing it correctly. *puts on UBI glasses* PC sales for the year were 15%. 100% - 15% is 85%. So 85% is consoles, 15% is PC.

I'd almost bet money that is how it is framed by management.

When viewed per platform, the entire year shows PC a fair distance behind last-gen titles. It's only 4 points ahead of the Wii.

xH4YF3A.jpg

76% for consoles vs 24%.. That's very low.. They want money... Console give them more. Fact..

76% for consoles vs 24%.. That's very low.. They want money... Console give them more. Fact..

A port is a port is a port console or not. It's not about consoles vs. PC, it's more granular than that: platform, plain and simple. So yes, 24% sales by simply porting a game to a single platform is quite significant.

Last edited:
A port is a port is a port console or not. It's not about consoles vs. PC, it's more granular than that: platform, plain and simple. So yes, 24% sales by simply porting a game to a single platform is quite significant.

Especially when you consider the actual revenue that those figures translate to....approximately 240 million euros. Anyone who attempts to argue that is an insubstantial sum of money really needs to lay off the crack. You would think given how much money Ubi makes from PC releases that it would be more concerned with preserving the goodwill of its customers.

Quarterly financial for all game sales. What else?
I mean, that title couldn't be more specific... Breakdown of Sales by Platform....
Breakdown of [Turkey Bacon] Sales by Platform
Breakdown of [Rampart Street] Sales by Platform
Breakdown of [Watch_Dogs] Sales by Platform
Breakdown of [...] Sales by Platform

All equally valid interpretations depending on the context in which the graph is presented.

It's not THAT vague. Pretty sure they don't sell Turkey Bacon on the Xbox...

Back