Watch Dogs was intentionally hobbled on PC

Who cares. GTAV is cumming
Almost guaranteed to be worse. Watch Dogs at least has higher-quality textures on the PC, TXAA, HBAO+ and so forth.

With Rockstar, you're really quite fortunate if keyboard support is offered.

Almost guaranteed to be worse. Watch Dogs at least has higher-quality textures on the PC, TXAA, HBAO+ and so forth.

Ha ha I hope that GTA V has a better grasp of graphics options than GTA IV did. That GPU memory slider crap gave me so many headaches over the years. :)

Maybe Rockstar will trounce Ubisoft with PC gaming centric options? I'm unsure at this point if competing devs actually take notes when their competition pulls BS like this & looks the fool.

/get a motorcycle, either dirt, or street. Everything else just melts away....

My dad started buying and fixing a few used dirt bikes for when we go out and visit. (they have a decent sized property out in the woods with access to old abandoned logging roads) While it hasn't made me forget my other hobbies, I do truly enjoy going out there hopping on a bike and just blasting through the trails. It does make everything take a back seat for a little while. :cool: I rode quite a bit as a kid, and haven't for about 20 years. It's cool to see some of the places I used to explore. (actually surprised many are still there)

Maybe Rockstar will trounce Ubisoft with PC gaming centric options? I'm unsure at this point if competing devs actually take notes when their competition pulls BS like this & looks the fool.
They're going to move half a billion units regardless of what they do. Given that, I don't expect them to expend any particular effort to make it an especially great port.

/get a motorcycle, either dirt, or street. Everything else just melts away....

Listen to this guy! A motorcycle is the perfect companion hobby to computers. There are similarities in that each requires patience to work on and maintain, but in usage they are totally different. Riding a motorcycle disconnects you from all the other bs you have to put up with on a daily basis. Everything else is forgotten.

How did this thread end up bagging on GTAV? Jesus people. The video of the PC/PS4/X1 they showed is a VAST improvement over the initial 360/ps3 version. GTAIV was not a bomb on PC, it was a bomb on ALL platforms. Too much to process, not enough power. As bad as it ran on PC, it was WAY worse on console.

Look at what demos did for that Spintires indie game. They actually updated the tech demo multiple times in 4 years.. Then went on to raise $80k on Kickstarter and now the #1/#2 selling game on Steam. That demo sold the game for that without a doubt because the demo was fantastic.

I bought this game and actually played the shit out of it over the weekend. Really challenging. They just need to add a heavy dozer and it would be pure awesome.

My dad started buying and fixing a few used dirt bikes for when we go out and visit. (they have a decent sized property out in the woods with access to old abandoned logging roads) While it hasn't made me forget my other hobbies, I do truly enjoy going out there hopping on a bike and just blasting through the trails. It does make everything take a back seat for a little while. :cool: I rode quite a bit as a kid, and haven't for about 20 years. It's cool to see some of the places I used to explore. (actually surprised many are still there)

That's awesome. I recently watched a documentary called, "Why we ride". Families riding together is a big part of it's theme, including a milftastic brunette and her two daughters, that are Bonneville record holders. Very cool.

Another segment had everyone from grandpa, down to the 5 year olds heading out together on their own bikes. Shit you do in the real world will always be better than virtual memories.

I ride with my brother, and my father, when I can drag his slow ass out with me.

/The old man is a terrible rider though. One time he arrived at a stop light and he couldn't get his feet down because (his words) he's too short, old, weak, and the pegs were in his way. Flop.

Another time, he's leaving our neighborhood, eases up to a speed bump like the pussiest of grandma's, comes to a near complete stop, lets out the clutch, hits the speed bump, literally bounces back off the bump, rolling in the opposite direction, then fell over like a tree. :)

WHY WE RIDE Official Pre-Release Trailer [HD]: http://youtu.be/AxGNI4jpzL4

My guess is that they covet EA's most hated award......

Well, that about does it for ubisoft. I already have avoided buying their games for years. Now I will just ignore them completely.

Spintires the demo is actually impressive as hell, and is a great indicator of the quality of the game

Publishers, every one of them asked, has publicly stated they don't put out demos anymore at all, because even if they have a fantastic game they won't release a demo

Why? Cause 99 out of 100 times the game isn't that great, thus, a demo actually shows how poor the product is, and gamers won't buy it.

Worse is that publishers are very, very, very, VERY well aware that PC gamers are flat out the hardest base to please ATM, because PC gamers have access to an unbelievable back catalog and know what is good and bad games. No better statement of that truth with Epic games where Bulletstorm had a demo for 360 and PS3, but not PC, because it would hurt sales of the PC version if people got to play a demo of it. And the game wasn't that bad, but it was not a $60 game that's for sure.

And today? Companies have been pretending for the last TEN YEARS that PC gaming is "Not that big" and "Does not make money", and the last ten years the numbers have shown they are full of it as they try to hang off the teet that is consoles as that WAS their bread and butter for all this time, even though PC game sales have dwarfed console sales for over ten years now, but the last two years PC game sales dwarfed -EVERY- other console combined, its so big that now publishers are doing, well, this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u0EL_u4nvw

Activision? Check. Epic games? Check. Microsoft? Check. Ubisoft? Check. Capcom? Check

All of them have come forwards and publicly said that "PC is going to be a major focus etc", and there is no evidence of that yet as they still have all their money tied up in console game production, but they damn well know that all the money is on PC, and they're playing catch up.

Ha! You got one thing right. They won't develop for PC gamers but not because they are hard to please but because they are CHEAPSTAKES.

We should be used to this by now. Ubisoft is a fucking disgrace. People who pre-purchase/pre-order/pre whatever need to wise the fuck up. I have no faith in any big publisher/developer anymore. They are all sucking that console dick and catering to fucking dude-bro's who drink Jager bombs while watching UFC and listening to nickelback .

Some of you live with tattoo on fantasy island. Is this really how you think the majority of people on consoles are? A lot are kids, but "dude-bro who drink Jager bombs and watch UFC" are a small minority. Does it make you feel better about yourself talking like this?

I can't put my finger on all the dynamics but I work with a lot of professionals and if they play video games it is generally on a console. The PCs we use use are big, noisy, and a damn eyesore in a house. They could give a shit what the graphics look like.

As far as this issue, I think it is pretty halarious. Not sure what Ubisoft's motive is, other than it didn't have time to be quality tested so they disabled it. I can always tell that most on here do not have to/try to work with creative people. You must push and force deadlines on these type of people because as talented as they are they will never be satisfied. Without the push then most all of these games will become Duke Nukem Forever.

I'm going to return my copy on Steam, it was bad enough finding out I had to install their U play software shit even though I brought it on Steam and now I found out that I cant play the game offline even with Steam in offline mode.

I found 3rd party DRM buried in the fine print on Steams store but there is no mention of an internet connection being required for single player.

Additional Notes: Broadband connection and service required for multiplayer mode.

E3t33sC.jpg

Really though? Their working environment must be completely fucked if that is the case.

I'm really struggling to enjoy my current job, mainly due to politics and red-tape. However, I still take pride in my work and want to do things to a high standard so that people don't look at me like I'm an idiot.

If the above is not true of the Ubi developers then they must be in a really bad place emotionally/mentally.

What's worse, now that the situation with Watch_Dogs has been highlighted and brought into the public domain by a community member their morale is going to be shot even further.

Either way, it's pretty shoddy and I for one am glad I didn't buy into the hype and pay for this game. What a shitty way to screw over, arguably, the most dedicated segment of gamers?

Now I'm picturing all the major titles being developed by actors in the front office when they do their behind the scenes footage. Meanwhile, there's a bunch of developers changed to a desk surrounded by barbwire as their management forces them to remake the same game over and over (BF, AC, CoD).. Their only way to communicate is through obscure code comments.

I'm going to return my copy on Steam, it was bad enough finding out I had to install their U play software shit even though I brought it on Steam and now I found out that I cant play the game offline even with Steam in offline mode.

I found 3rd party DRM buried in the fine print on Steams store but there is no mention of an internet connection being required for single player.

Originally Posted by :
Additional Notes: Broadband connection and service required for multiplayer mode.

Did you misquote or are you not aware that multiplayer requires an internet connection? Were you expecting LAN ability?

I had all settings on Low.

Does the mod improve make any improvements to Low settings?

Did you misquote or are you not aware that multiplayer requires an internet connection? Were you expecting LAN ability?

He said there is no mention of it requiring a connection for single player. However, given that it's a uPlay game and that it has MP integrated into the experience (SP-only doesn't really exist unless you pirate it or something)...yeah.

with all the bad publicity this graphics downgrade controversy is creating I'm wondering if Ubisoft will decide to patch in the original E3 version...they're taking a hell of a long time to patch the game so maybe something big is being planned

Or maybe the game already sold better than they thought and they don't give a shit.

Now I'm picturing all the major titles being developed by actors in the front office when they do their behind the scenes footage. Meanwhile, there's a bunch of developers changed to a desk surrounded by barbwire as their management forces them to remake the same game over and over (BF, AC, CoD).. Their only way to communicate is through obscure code comments.

They dont mention an internet connection is required for single player campaign? Even with steam in offline mode, the game still requires Uplay login. It clearly states in the game features that it offers single player and multiplayer and that multiplayer requires an internet connection.

He said there is no mention of it requiring a connection for single player. However, given that it's a uPlay game and that it has MP integrated into the experience (SP-only doesn't really exist unless you pirate it or something)...yeah.

And that's the primary reason I'll never buy it. At least with dark souls you can disconnect to prevent being raped.

Actually, Microsoft has. No PC versions of Gears of War, Forza, Halo. I think they have Ubi beat.

Based on that you'd better include Sony and Nintendo as well.

Well EA has. But yea you make a valid point. I haven't bought an Ubisoft game on the PC in quite a long... long time.

Pretty sad state of affairs over there.

EA's contempt is for the whole gaming scene as a whole. As far as the PC is concerned though, EA releases games on the PC at the same time as the console counterparts, often allows far better ports, and doesn't have a CEO that periodically labels all PC gamers as thieves.

Have you seen the latest comparison trailer between the original console version and the version being released on PC, PS4 and Xbone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBkCB1zRIx4

PC may not receive any additional loving, but the next-gen version is still a significant improvement over the original.

I'm wondering if the downgrade was because on low end hardware the game didn't run very well. I know on high end hardware they say with the mod the game runs about the same, but has anyone tested it on low end? Ubisoft has to think about those customers as well. Not that I believe this to be the case, just talking.

Last edited:
One other thing I wanted to add:

When I see comment by Ubisoft like this, I don't read that as the next gen consoles will be as good as the PC, I read it as the PC will be gimped down to next gen visuals. That's what they are saying.

It is quite possible that Ubisoft is intentionally gimping PC, possibly very late in development, in order to not make it better looking as the console versions. But why?

Ubisoft are pulling way ahead of EA at this point.. EA is all about milking cash cows with copy/paste sequels and minimal PC effort but at least you know where they stand, and more importantly their games for the most part (BF4 excluded) run as advertised.

When I see comment by Ubisoft like this, I don't read that as the next gen consoles will be as good as the PC, I read it as the PC will be gimped down to next gen visuals. That's what they are saying.

It is quite possible that Ubisoft is intentionally gimping PC, possibly very late in development, in order to not make it better looking as the console versions. But why?

I honestly cannot see any significant visual improvement with FC4, to me it looks like a mod of FC3....so its not really surprising that the next-gen consoles versions will be on par with PC because there have been no significant graphical improvements.

Ubisoft are pulling way ahead of EA at this point.. EA is all about milking cash cows with copy/paste sequels and minimal PC effort but at least you know where they stand, and more importantly their games for the most part (BF4 excluded) run as advertised.

ubisoft's games are copy/paste, even supposed 'new' ips. watch dogs plays like assassin's creed with guns and (shitty) cars.

So do people still doubt whether there might be some truth in this anonymous post?

-snip-

Haha... I never did much on those trains so I never noticed but that's hilarious.

Oh btw, trains clip into each other.

Last edited:

He clarified that he meant the quote to highlight where there's an absence of a disclaimer for SP. That's where the confusion came from, since I've never seen the page he's talking about.

The steam page does say that it "requires 3rd party DRM: UPlay". But it's buried on the sidebar and they don't link to UPlay at all.

Last edited:
He clarified that he meant the quote to highlight where there's an absence of a disclaimer for SP. That's where the confusion came from, since I've never seen the page he's talking about.

The steam page does say that it "requires 3rd party DRM: UPlay". But it's buried on the sidebar and they don't link to UPlay at all.

It also says the game features single player and multiplayer then later states that an internet connection is required for multiplayer ;)

I'm wondering if the downgrade was because on low end hardware the game didn't run very well. I know on high end hardware they say with the mod the game runs about the same, but has anyone tested it on low end? Ubisoft has to think about those customers as well. Not that I believe this to be the case, just talking.
No, it doesn't work this way. PC users have had multiple detail levels in 3D games for some 20 years right now. All these extra graphics options? If you have a low-end system, those get disabled. On medium you enable some more, on high, you enable more, etc. Additional OPTIONS at the high end does nothing to the low end.

I think this is more than possible, it's probable (look at the Far Cry 3 E3 comparison). As for why, I think the only remotely sane reason is Ubisoft gets the majority of their sales from consoles, so if the PC version looks better, they could perceive that as hurting their profits from the console sector.

Well our tent pole game isn't selling like we hoped. Lets give those PC guys an exact copy of the xbox1 game and see if we can sucker them into buying it.

We'll see what happens going forward, but if this turns out to be true I will never buy an Ubisoft game again, period. Console versions included. I got Watch Dogs with a new NVIDIA card, so I didn't actually spend money on it. I would have been pissed if I did spend money on it, though.

I think the issue is more caused by incompetence than a deliberate attempt to gimp the PC version.

Back