Warhammer Online Thread!

Max settings at 1920x1080, i get 30 FPS in city areas and 40-50 elsewhere. 90 at the loading screen, not that that counts for much.

I'll say this much, I really like the opening cinematic.

I started Tuesday as well. I have 2 kids, one an infant so I can't play as much as I like. I really only played Tuesday and Wednesday as I have to work Thursday - Saturday, 12 hour days so I don't play then.

So after 2 days of playing(when I could) I got my runepriest to rank 7 and renown 5 and my warrior priest to rank 10 and renown 9. And never once felt like I was grinding. Gotta love it.

4870x2 is way overkill, I am cpu limited even with a 8800gt.

some of you need to learn that video cards aren't everything, especially in mmos.

Don't worry shiznit, I know that. I didn't get the card for WAR. I didn't even think I'd be getting WAR when I built this machine. MMO's generally don't take advantage of the latest in GPU technology, simply because it makes more sense to make the game accessable to people with lower end computers than just high end. Look at WOW. A crap computer can run the game, and as a result, millions play it. Same for single player games like The Sims franchise. If it had graphics like Grid or Crysis, would it be so popular? I don't think so.

So far, I'd say WAR has met my expectations of it. But after Vanguard and Tabula Rasa, I can't say I had many to begin with. Now I just need to figure out this crafting thing.

I've installed WAR on my rig twice with a reinstall and the launch icon for WAR is nowhere to be found on my desktop!?!?! Where is the launch icon?

I've installed WAR on my rig twice with a reinstall and the launch icon for WAR is nowhere to be found on my desktop!?!?! Where is the launch icon?

Why dont you just go to the install directory and create a shortcut :eek:

There's no icon at all. I have to run warpatch.exe in order to launch the game and everytime i do that, it tries to patch the game, then goes into the game and I have to accept the EULA every single time I enter the game. Problem here: http://forums.tentonhammer.com/showthread.php?t=35339

This fix doesn't even work: http://www.gamearena.com.au/forums/3133/thread.php/4796703

There has to be an easier way!

You always have to accept the EULA. It's a lawyer thing.

You always have to accept the EULA. It's a lawyer thing.

How come for WoW, you only have to do it once each update, not every single time you enter the game as I'm having to do now? Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy WAR and have cancelled my WoW account, but this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

you used to have to agree to the ToS and the EULA.. they took away the ToS agreement but have stated that for the time being they have no choice but to make you accept the EULA every time you play

I'm surprised I'm allowed to play without even buying the game.

I pre-ordered on amazon around 8/20 and canceled my order so I could pick it up at a store so I could play it instantly however I'm playing right now without even having a retail box.

Game feels ....... improved and more polished then the preview weekend. I gotta admit, when I loaded it up I had NO interest anymore in WAR, but after playing it again for and hour and reaching level 6.....as a tank.....I'm hooked.

I saw a level 21 on a mount showing off at the starting area.....man these people are fast.

I'm surprised I'm allowed to play without even buying the game.

I pre-ordered on amazon around 8/20 and canceled my order so I could pick it up at a store so I could play it instantly however I'm playing right now without even having a retail box.

Game feels ....... improved and more polished then the preview weekend. I gotta admit, when I loaded it up I had NO interest anymore in WAR, but after playing it again for and hour and reaching level 6.....as a tank.....I'm hooked.

I saw a level 21 on a mount showing off at the starting area.....man these people are fast.

You have until the 22nd to register your CD key if you were in the head start program.

Try going into the Vista Games menu and just click on WAR. That launchers the patcher, which updates and launches the game.

I really enjoyed this post. Does boil it down to it's core in a humorous way.

Or maybe Im just deprived after SEVEN days without power, powers been on for about 5 hours now. Christ does it suck going to bed when it gets too dark to see outside, or roughly 9 PM every night and waking up a day break to a nice cold shower or starting the generator and waiting an hour for the water heater to make enough hot water to take a warm shower.

I really hate my power company, really really hate them.

Well, I finally got into the pre-order beta after wiping my system and re-downloading the beta client.
My Impressions:

Killing Spiders:
The spiders are of equal size to the spiders in WOW. Similar attacks and drops too. I hate spiders.

Killing Boars:
Anyone who level grinds on boars knows a good boar is important. War has boars just like WOW.

Killing skeletons:
The skeletons are bonier than WOW. IMHO.

Level up DING effect:
When leveling up there is a tremendous clanging of axes on shields while you are bathed in the "Just leveled glow". This is way better than WOW.

Well that is it in a nutshell. Weeee!

After playing this for 4 hours I got back on WOW and I think I hate them both.

So after a lot of RvR with several different character types, I'm convinced that while Warhammer's PvP mechanics are wonderful and refreshing, the players are still the same morons I dealt with in WoW (at least on my server, Azazel).

No one goes for the healers or casters. Instead, you'll have 8 people beating on the tank who just keeps getting heals and nukers taking you out at range with ease. When you politely make a suggestion to change strategy, here come the "shut up noob" and all that noise.

Maybe I've been unlucky for the past week, but it seems like the "selfishness" (if such a word can be applied to something as unimportant in the grand scheme of life as a game) is just as bad as in WoW.

:(

Are most people hoping on open RvR? I played WoW on a PvE and not a PVP and regretted it. I think with this game focused on PvP, open PvP is the way to go. Anyone care to comment on this?

I know this is kind of an old post and Im still catching up, but WOW PVP servers were a joke and a half at best. The majority of people who played on them enjoyed them because they could go to level 20 towns and 1 shot enemies, basically be griefers or instigators. Then when you got to BC you were level 58 in non outlands gear getting killed by 70s in S3 which you could be level 30 and probably stand as much of a chance against them.

They had absolutely no mechanic to stop drastic level difference griefing, and equipment played a HUGE HUGE HUGE factor in PVP. So the "meaningful/worthwhile" pvp happened in Instances and arena, and the world PVP was relegated to 75% griefing, 20% duels, and 5% dailies MAYBE on Mug'Thol (full PVP). I was so tired of that server after 4 months I made a character on a PVE and while it's annoying not being able to kill from the opposite side hogging NPCs, at least you don't have to worry about the level 70 power levelling him through quests camping your body in STV for 2-3 hours.

Chicken mechanic of warhammer pretty much stops this, but I still probably won't play in open RVR because they are making the chicken mechanic more relaxed and allowing people from the tier above you to come back and smash your face....at least that's what it said in one announcement. So, you'll be bolstered to 8 and they could potentially be level 21.....meh.

because they are making the chicken mechanic more relaxed and allowing people from the tier above you to come back and smash your face....at least that's what it said in one announcement. So, you'll be bolstered to 8 and they could potentially be level 21.....meh.

Reminds me of the RvR scenarios, I thought they'd be a little more balanced than they tend to be. Even with the buff lower-level players get in scenarios, it was frustrating seeing the other side with all level 10 and 11 players, smashing your face before your level 5 self could get even a pittance of damage off.

No one goes for the healers or casters. Instead, you'll have 8 people beating on the tank who just keeps getting heals and nukers taking you out at range with ease. When you politely make a suggestion to change strategy, here come the "shut up noob" and all that noise.

The tanks have Guard up on the healers (or they should), so beating on the healers just splits the damage with the tank anyway. This makes the the "Just kill the healers" strategy less effective than in other games. Also with a class like Black Orc, they have abilities that apply significant buffs to people behind the tanks (IE, the healers). The system is very nice, it forces people to pay attention to the tanks in RvR. Leaving the tank alone means you give them free reign to keep up massive buffs and CC multiple targets that make everyone else harder to kill.

So after a lot of RvR with several different character types, I'm convinced that while Warhammer's PvP mechanics are wonderful and refreshing, the players are still the same morons I dealt with in WoW (at least on my server, Azazel).

This right here has been true of my Open Beta, HeadStart, and 1st week of WarHammer. I play as a Rune Priest, and everytime DPS comes smashing my face and I say in chat: "Please Protect you healers and we can heal you, then perhaps we could win." I get a load of : "stfu and heal" "you suck" "stop complaining and heal" "stop complaining and maybe we'd win"

Yes, because you can win when the other team is killing your ass and you have no healers. *Sigh*

Reminds me of the RvR scenarios, I thought they'd be a little more balanced than they tend to be. Even with the buff lower-level players get in scenarios, it was frustrating seeing the other side with all level 10 and 11 players, smashing your face before your level 5 self could get even a pittance of damage off.

Yeah, but it becomes less pronounced in the tier 2. I was 12 bolstered to 18 and holding my own against 18-20s. I think in tier 1 the problem is just plain lack of abilities, if you only got one or two buttons to mash....that's all you can do there is no decision or option.

Maybe I've been unlucky for the past week, but it seems like the "selfishness" (if such a word can be applied to something as unimportant in the grand scheme of life as a game) is just as bad as in WoW.

I just got power back today, so didn't get to use the head start or jump on the band wagon with everyone else. Might start tomorrow not sure how it's going to pan out. But yeah in beta I saw this happen a lot, or completely in reverse where all the tanks were out in their mass of enemy team members and I'd be the healer getting free style face bashed time and time again.

I think one problem a lot of people have, and I had at first was that tabbing through enemies has a really really short distance..or did for me at least. Where I'd tab tab tab and never pick up an enemy that was already casting spells at me, then I'd get in the mix of enemies and when you got a lot of tall races after a shaman or a dwarf in your ranks and lots of orcs around him it became really hard to target him. And tabbing was really unreliable, I'd be getting people on the other side of him, people to my side, I'd hit escape to de-target everything and try tabbing again and go through everyone but the guy I was trying to get.

I think there's a possibility their tab system uses LOS and counts friendlies as LOS obstacles, really don't know. I never could figure out how it determined who to target. So the only time it was really working for me was when there was 2 or 3 enemies to pick from, past that I found it hard to even tell who I was targetting unless I could smack them.

So I pretty much relied on clicking to target everything, and that serves well until you run into the short guy in a pack of tall people who keeps moving away from you.

Can't count how many times I saw friendlies who needed healed run into enemies instead of to the healers when it was obvious they were trying to escape the people killing them.

So I suggest for anyone new to the game to try out Healer, Tank, Caster DPS, Melee DPS...in that order so you can see how frustrating it is for each person involved, caster DPS probably has the easiest situation in terms of role and how to play but healers typically ignore them since they tend to stand behind the healers. Basically you'll learn what pisses you off and keeps you from doing your job in each role, so you know not to do it when you are playing that class role.

Biggest problem I have are the bot and gold spammers. fill up my chat entirely all the time. I hate them. No commands to ignore them has worked so far.

The game is infested with WoW kids now shouting commands in PVP.

Time to quit.

It seems like you're looking for an MMO without people? :confused:

Im enjoying the game a lot. I'm actually having fun levelling. The only thing annoying right now is that I am level 13 Chosen, and I do not have any of my knockdowns or anything yet. I don't really have anything to help the team besides my auras so far. I know that changes in a few levels though, so I will stick with it.

Time to quit.

Yeah it happens and while it's frustrating, I've been able to save a loss several times in scenarios if I'm with a random group. Open RvR I always go with organized people so no problems there. I'm enjoying the game nevertheless.

See ya.

Time to quit.

"WoW kids" as you call them have been in MMO's since EQ days, a few years prior to Wow ever being released.

This right here has been true of my Open Beta, HeadStart, and 1st week of WarHammer. I play as a Rune Priest, and everytime DPS comes smashing my face and I say in chat: "Please Protect you healers and we can heal you, then perhaps we could win." I get a load of : "stfu and heal" "you suck" "stop complaining and heal" "stop complaining and maybe we'd win"

Yes, because you can win when the other team is killing your ass and you have no healers. *Sigh*

On my dread specced (well, 1st 3 points anyway) Chosen I try to go after healers first. But my DPS is so low that I can't kill them without help.

On my dread specced (well, 1st 3 points anyway) Chosen I try to go after healers first. But my DPS is so low that I can't kill them without help.

And I am too busy running away from you! :D

/Cast Bubble + Renew

One great touch - they mailed me a 'Pendragon Knot' trophy, I guess for having a Daoc account or for having daoc + war on the same mythic account. The mail mentioned something about remembering past battles, nice touch. Thats a trophy I will always use, the daoc symbol brings back memories.

So back in May I preordered the collector's edition from Best Buy. Boy was that a mistake, took them like an hour to find the CE box in the backroom (no longer on shelves), after trying to give me a copy of normal WAR instead. "No, its a huge box"

The CE art book and comic are really nice, high-quality. Art for Warhammer is so damn good. No idea what I will do with the metal statue, I never played tabletop War and dont know how to put it together. In-game CE stuff is hit or miss, some of the faces are great (human, goblin, chaos), some are lame (elves) and the CE quests, titles and trophies are nice but nothing special or anything a normal player will miss having.

Been playing on an Open ruleset the last few days, its hectic. See some level 20+ players in the T1 and T2 zones, shitting up PQs, running down lowbies on mounts and generally being annoying. Theres no bolster buff in open RvR which really discourages it at lower tiers. Theres none of the back-and-forth pvp battles you get on Core servers because levels are uneven and players pvp in the whole world instead of designated free-speech zones. Even without Bolster, we were able to take T2 keeps with one warband of sub-20s. And it is satisfying to gang up and kill a significantly higher-level player.

I'm playing Order on a Destro-heavy server, but ganking isnt frequent, and it goes both ways. Found out that some PQ bosses for the other faction can be friendly to you. I ran across one group of Chaos, all higher level than my bright wizard, fighting the Reaper PQ in Ostland. I know from experience how hard that guy is, so after sniping with a few AEs and DoTs, they went from holding their own to wiped and I gave the Reaper a high-five. :)

Still undecided if I like Open more than Core. I think the game was meant to be played Core, with battles instead of skirmishes and ganking. But Open is fun, its chaotic and the PvE gameworld feels dangerous and alive instead of safe and static. At level cap the payoff should be a larger area to PvP in, all of the T4 zones + T3 zones.

It seems like you're looking for an MMO without people? :confused:

Im enjoying the game a lot. I'm actually having fun levelling. The only thing annoying right now is that I am level 13 Chosen, and I do not have any of my knockdowns or anything yet. I don't really have anything to help the team besides my auras so far. I know that changes in a few levels though, so I will stick with it.

No, I'm looking for a game where children don't play. Warhammer was awesome until the official launch day.

No, I'm looking for a game where children don't play. Warhammer was awesome until the official launch day.

Apparently, the people on the Age of Conan forums say stuff like this a lot. Sounds like your kind of game to me personally.

Protip: Kids play a lot of games.

Let us know when you find a popular game/MMO where there are absolutely 0 children and the entire player base is mature. Thanks.

Apparently, the people on the Age of Conan forums say stuff like this a lot. Sounds like your kind of game to me personally.

Protip: Kids play a lot of games.

Let us know when you find a popular game/MMO where there are absolutely 0 children and the entire player base is mature. Thanks.

AOC is terrible, but yeah it was pretty children-free :D

AOC is terrible, but yeah it was pretty children-free :D

I can agree with you here. That game sucks.

In any event, I haven't noticed that many children for a few reasons.

#1) I play on the RP server. There's a disclaimer that explains the more restricted rules/naming procedures before you log in. Bye bye dumb ass names (for the most part).

#2) Hardly anyone talks on the regional channels. I see maybe 2-3 questions a day. This is mostly due to the fact that not many people know how and that the chat log is usually full or other random crap making it hard to see anything in there.

#3) The guild I'm in consists of all adults that work and have families. No kids allowed.

*shrug*

One great touch - they mailed me a 'Pendragon Knot' trophy, I guess for having a Daoc account or for having daoc + war on the same mythic account. The mail mentioned something about remembering past battles, nice touch. Thats a trophy I will always use, the daoc symbol brings back memories.

So back in May I preordered the collector's edition from Best Buy. Boy was that a mistake, took them like an hour to find the CE box in the backroom (no longer on shelves), after trying to give me a copy of normal WAR instead. "No, its a huge box"

The CE art book and comic are really nice, high-quality. Art for Warhammer is so damn good. No idea what I will do with the metal statue, I never played tabletop War and dont know how to put it together. In-game CE stuff is hit or miss, some of the faces are great (human, goblin, chaos), some are lame (elves) and the CE quests, titles and trophies are nice but nothing special or anything a normal player will miss having.

Been playing on an Open ruleset the last few days, its hectic. See some level 20+ players in the T1 and T2 zones, shitting up PQs, running down lowbies on mounts and generally being annoying. Theres no bolster buff in open RvR which really discourages it at lower tiers. Theres none of the back-and-forth pvp battles you get on Core servers because levels are uneven and players pvp in the whole world instead of designated free-speech zones. Even without Bolster, we were able to take T2 keeps with one warband of sub-20s. And it is satisfying to gang up and kill a significantly higher-level player.

I'm playing Order on a Destro-heavy server, but ganking isnt frequent, and it goes both ways. Found out that some PQ bosses for the other faction can be friendly to you. I ran across one group of Chaos, all higher level than my bright wizard, fighting the Reaper PQ in Ostland. I know from experience how hard that guy is, so after sniping with a few AEs and DoTs, they went from holding their own to wiped and I gave the Reaper a high-five. :)

Still undecided if I like Open more than Core. I think the game was meant to be played Core, with battles instead of skirmishes and ganking. But Open is fun, its chaotic and the PvE gameworld feels dangerous and alive instead of safe and static. At level cap the payoff should be a larger area to PvP in, all of the T4 zones + T3 zones.

I'm not exactly sure where you sold me on this game, but you did. Your description of open pvp with skirmishes all over the world brought me back to the old days of real WoW, Tarren Mill vs. Southshore.

Melee DPS creeping up on the healers works very well, once they're down the tanks become mortal again.

Problem is class balance, the elfs seem like they have way too many dedicated healers, the Empire lack tanks all together, not sure about the rest. With any luck they'll release the missing classes and get each race with at least a tank and healer as a minimum.

Back